Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

27 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well scratch him off the list, then.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Chad Simmons also has crystal balls for Gibson to Texas.

Spoiler

Recruiting is ramping up for the 2024 class. After a quiet month of February because of the NCAA dead period, recruits are back on the road taking visits and pushing toward making their decisions.

Many recruits are taking multiple unofficial visits this spring before locking in official visits in June and making decisions before their senior season.

No. 1 running back Jerrick Gibson has not scheduled any visits for March or April yet, but he is likely to get out a couple of times. One school he visited in January had was Texas. The Longhorns have made the four-star out of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy a top priority. Running backs coach Tashard Choice landed Cedric Baxter out of Florida last cycle and he is looking to do the same with Gibson.

The one-time Florida commit has a different type of bond with Choice. That connection, along with Steve Sarkisian’s offense, the fact that the Longhorns are moving to the SEC and the opportunity to play with Baxter, Arch Manning and other offensive stars has Texas high on Gibson’s list.

The No. 20 prospect in the On3 Industry Rankings has official visits locked in with Alabama (June 2), Georgia (June 9), Texas (June 16) and Tennessee (June 23). Florida, Oklahoma and some others are still being considered for that fifth and final official visit.

Heading into the spring, I like Texas as the frontrunner. I have logged a prediction for the Longhorns on On3’s Recruiting Prediction Machine.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 9

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No. 1 running back Jerrick Gibson has not scheduled any visits for March or April yet, but he is likely to get out a couple of times. One school he visited in January had was Texas. The Longhorns have made the four-star out of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy a top priority. Running backs coach Tashard Choice landed Cedric Baxter out of Florida last cycle and he is looking to do the same with Gibson.

The fuck is the number one running back only a four star?

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Just judging from Jerrick Gibson's HUDL he appears to be more of a power back like Ced Benson than, say, a slasher/speed burner like Jamaal Charles. Is that about right?

Also, he looks good but ... #1 RB in the nation?  Hmmm...

4.57-second 4o-yard dash, a 40.3-inch vertical leap and a 10-foot broad jump after his sophomore year in high school.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Just judging from Jerrick Gibson's HUDL he appears to be more of a power back like Ced Benson than, say, a slasher/speed burner like Jamaal Charles. Is that about right?

I agree with you. I think multiple backs from Texas are better than him right now. I guess we’ll see how their senior years go.

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

To me it looks like a big drop in quickness / speed from Soph to Junior. He may be growing into a different kind of back.

18 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

I agree with you. I think multiple backs from Texas are better than him right now. I guess we’ll see how their senior years go.

I think anytime you have a guy who isn't a world class sprinter at RB, it can fool you into thinking he isn't as good because he isn't scoring form 70 every play. 

My take: He is a very good one cut runner more in the mold of Emmitt Smith. He doesn't have the wiggle or long speed of some guys, but because he is really good at making his decision quickly and going, he could be devastating as a between the tackles runner with a good OLine in front of him. He has really good vision through the trash and a feel for picking his way through traffic. In a phone booth, the guy is pretty impressive. Number 1 guy in the country? Hard to say, but this is a weaker class. CJ Baxter is a better prospect to me, but Gibson would be a really good complement and bring some needed physicality to the room. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

My take: He is a very good one cut runner more in the mold of Emmitt Smith. He doesn't have the wiggle or long speed of some guys, but because he is really good at making his decision quickly and going, he could be devastating as a between the tackles runner with a good OLine in front of him. He has really good vision through the trash and a feel for picking his way through traffic.

Now you're just making him sound like Kyle Porter.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

I think I must be the only person that is dissatisfied with our DL recruiting the last two years and very concerned that this 2023 defensive line is going to get blown off the line of scrimmage. It’s a roster filled with a lot of supposed talent that mostly hasn’t flashed much yet. Will 2024 recruiting be any better along DL?

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think I must be the only person that is dissatisfied with our DL recruiting the last two years and very concerned that this 2023 defensive line is going to get blown off the line of scrimmage. It’s a roster filled with a lot of supposed talent that mostly hasn’t flashed much yet. Will 2024 recruiting be any better along DL?

I think you have to separate edge and interior DL. We've done great at edge the last two years. Interior DL has been subpar the last two years, especially with Ross looking like a miss. We will definitely need a portal interior DL next year. As for this year, I'm not nearly as concerned. Sweat and Murphy are great starting interior DL. Collins is good for a first backup and then hopefully Bryant or Bledsoe can move ahead of Broughton by the fall. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think you have to separate edge and interior DL. We've done great at edge the last two years. Interior DL has been subpar the last two years, especially with Ross looking like a miss. We will definitely need a portal interior DL next year. As for this year, I'm not nearly as concerned. Sweat and Murphy are great starting interior DL. Collins is good for a first backup and then hopefully Bryant or Bledsoe can move ahead of Broughton by the fall. 

EDGE

17 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has Fat Ketch or any of them other goofs at Rivals ever given a reason why Cruz has the lowest 3* rating available and not even in the top Texas 100?

Because he's been around for years and On3 is new on the scene.....

Or Cruz cut in front of him at golden corral. 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Now you're just making him sound like Kyle Porter.

Actually, one of Porter's biggest issues was his indecisiveness behind the LOS when the blocking was anything less than clear. He'd get you what you blocked for, and maybe a little less at times.

Great dude though.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Vertigo said:

11.18 doesnt seem like Sark material..

Anchor leg of Lancaster's 4x100, 4x200, and 4x400 relays as a sophomore in Spring 2022. Helped Lancaster place third in the 4x100, second in the 4x200, and fifth in the 4x400 at the Texas 5A state championships in May 2022. Ran a wind-aided 10.74 100 and wind-legal times of 10.78 and 10.83, plus a 23.57 200, during sophomore track season as well. 

Edited by HenryJames
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls