Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Texas IOL priority Daniel Cruz talks recruiting process, relationship with Kyle Flood

Hudson Standish

("I reported yesterday that Cruz locked in an official visit to Texas for June 23rd-25th and I'm inching closer to crystal balling the major Kyle Flood priority to the Longhorns.")

Spoiler

Texas IOL priority Daniel Cruz talks recruiting process, relationship with Kyle Flood

Hudson Standish

Richland 2024 interior offensive lineman Daniel Cruz has been a longtime favorite of Texas O-Line coach Kyle Flood, and after a standout performance at the Under Armour Dallas camp against some of the best competition in the region it's easy to see why.

Horns247 caught up with Cruz to get the latest on his recruiting process after breaking the news a couple of weeks ago that his only scheduled OV to date is a trip to Texas during the last weekend of June.

"This past year during the recruiting process has been pretty hectic I can't lie," said Cruz. "I want to figure out where I'm taking my five official visits over the summer and then once those are done make a decision before the start of my senior season."

Texas and Ohio State are two schools that will definitely make the cut for Cruz and seem to be the teams to beat at the moment.

"I'm going to Texas on June 23rd through the 25th and I also know for sure that I'll go up to Columbus on an OV," he said. "I'm not exactly sure on the other three schools but I will figure that out and that will be the five."

Cruz went into detail about why he decided to schedule the OV with Texas and Texas OL coach Kyle Flood played a major role.

"Texas has a really great coaching staff and I really just feel a genuine connection with the staff and the school so I just figured I might as well lock in the OV right now," said Cruz. "At the end of the day it's going to be all about helping me become a better person and player and I believe Texas can do that."

My scouting observations from the UA Dallas camp on Cruz read as follows.

"Richland 2024 IOL Daniel Cruz had high expectations heading into the camp and didn't lose a rep during one-on-ones in addition to a strong showing in individual drills. Cruz anchors extremely well and had an eye-opening moment where he won two reps against an IDL that probably had 3 inches and 75 pounds on him. I reported yesterday that Cruz locked in an official visit to Texas for June 23rd-25th and I'm inching closer to crystal balling the major Kyle Flood priority to the Longhorns."

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Shea Dixon did a LSU class prediction and didn't have Simmons or Dotson in it.

Also, this was posted by a guy that usually has good Intel on Tigerdroppings 

Screenshot_20230323_101638_Chrome.jpg

i heard they literally had a gun to his head and are not allowing him to physically leave the state for any reason at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That has kind of a stalker vibe to it, sounds like they are used to dealing with aggy.

41 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That poster is just on all of the LSU sites, he doesn't have inside info, imo

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Interesting - I don't think we've talked to this kid at all

https://247sports.com/player/josiah-martin-46134525/

I find it fascinating that Wiggins is still there. Bama people, who like the guy, thought he'd lost the WR room and was going to be shitcanned this cycle. Guys involved in covering the sport nationally also thought he would be departing. Those dudes have a low opinion of how Bama has been evaluating WRs over the last few cycles.

Wiggins joined the program after the 2018 season. He was preceded by Gattis, Locksley, and Napier, going backwards from 2018. Those guys scouted and signed Ruggs, Jeudy, Waddle, and Smith. Wiggins scouted and signed Metchie and basically a bunch of trash. They've done well getting Jameson Williams and Jermaine Burton to transfer, but other than that, go look at who Wiggins has brought in to the program. A bunch of mediocrity and busts.

Jacorey Brooks wouldn't start at Texas and probably would struggle in the 2 deep. Jalen Hale might wind up being great, but he also has a bunch of red flags and Texas stood the dude up for his in-home. Canceled it the day they were supposed to be there. 

So I look at this one and feel like, nope, I don't trust their evaluation. Should be fun to follow. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Yet they still kept him a 3* in the update yesterday.

"Richland 2024 IOL Daniel Cruz had high expectations heading into the camp and didn't lose a rep during one-on-ones in addition to a strong showing in individual drills. Cruz anchors extremely well and had an eye-opening moment where he won two reps against an IDL that probably had 3 inches and 75 pounds on him.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

I really want to believe the smoke cause it’s starting to get strong from part of his camp but it’s hard because at one point Texas was falling behind big time. But to give Texas credit they are pushing the right buttons and attacking this recruitment from a bunch of different angles and I’m not even referring to the NIL aspects. From what I know Texas won’t be outbid but they are doing some serious work with mom, trainers and friends/teammates. All hands on deck for Simmons. 

They think he’d be a vocal bell cow for the recruiting class. That said, people who know this shit front to back would be pretty shocked if he decided anything any time soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Someone school me on Edge in this defense…cause Simmons from D’ville is a no brainer…. but there is a 5 star edge from Bijans HS that seems to be under recruited… Im lost as to how Edge compares to DE.   But both guys seem to be DE’s and we need 2 harassing the qb

Edited by Rholl

21 minutes ago, Rholl said:

Someone school me on Edge in this defense…cause Simmons from D’ville is a no brainer…. but there is a 5 star edge from Bijans HS that seems to be under recruited… Im lost as to how Edge compares to DE.   But both guys seem to be DE’s and we need 2 harassing the qb

First off it’s edge

7 hours ago, Rholl said:

Edited by Bevo

7 hours ago, Rholl said:

A 5 star is underrated?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rholl said:

underrated? he's a 5* who 247 has as a top 10 prospect in the country. he has a ton of offers from literally everyone.

image.thumb.png.d786974fa60d6e066ca47588af9da834.png

he isn't underrecruited he is just interested most in places that are not Texas. has an OV to ND set. seems interested in Washington and Oregon.

IT 2024 Visitor List this weekend with notes on each

Spoiler

Texas March 25th Junior Day Visitor List

Christian Clark, RB/ATH, Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 255

One of UT’s top tailback targets is hitting Austin for the first time. He’s eager to see the campus, facilities, and possibly meet his hero Bijan Robinson. He’s coming off trips to Georgia, Auburn, and Alabama. 

Kedren Young, RB, Lufkin (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 169 

UT offered the East Texas native last month and the Longhorns continue to connect with the 5-foot-11, 218-pound tailback. Michigan and Notre Dame are in the mix.

Dozie Ezukanma, WR, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: N/R

Ezukanma and new receivers coach Chris Jackson have been getting to know each other, but it remains to be seen how the UT staff views the On3 three-star. Miami and Arkansas are pushing of late. 

Gary Bryant Jr, WR, USC via Corona (Calif.) Centennial
*maybe

The Southern Cal transfer has spoken to Texas about a visit this weekend. He’s also looking at a trip to College Station as well. Miami and Oregon have been named as potential suitors.

Ory Williams, OT, San Marcos (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 579

The 6-foot-7, 285-pound offensive tackle will be making it back to Austin after attending UT’s January Junior Day. LSU and Texas are considered the top two. Georgia is also right there. He will officially visit Texas June 23-25. 

Makai Saina, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Martin – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 489 

Texas recently jumped into the mix for the On3 three-star. Texas A&M and TCU lead for the 6-foot-5, 285-pound Metroplex prospect. Saina will make the trip Saturday with his mother. Expect him to be an “all in” recruitment if the first meeting with Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood goes well. 

Blake Frazier, IOL, Austin (Texas) Vandegrift– 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 347

Even though Frazier is trending toward Michigan, where his father played in the late 90s, he’s still making the return trip to Texas after attending Junior Day in January. 

Ryner Swanson, TE, Laguna Beach (Calif.) – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 365

Jeff Banks likes the potential with the 6-foot-4, 230-pound On3 Industry Ranking four-star. Utah, BYU, Oregon, Auburn and others are in the mix. 

Jordan Washington, WR/TE, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: N/A 

A new tight end evaluation for the UT staff, the 6-foot-5, 205-pound talent holds offers from Tulane, UL-Monroe, and Cal. 

Alex January, DL, Duncanville (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 647

After stops at Georgia, USC, and others, January is set to return to Texas for the second time in 2023. He’ll be back in late June for his official visit and is expected to have a decision soon after that. Texas leads today. 

Nigel Smith II, DL, Melissa (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 70

Texas is jumping back into the mix for the 6-foot-4, 260-pounder and the Industry Ranking’s No. 9 defensive lineman. Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Notre Dame have looked solid for a year, but this isn’t Smith’s first trip to Austin. This is a development we’re monitoring. 

Terrance Hibbler, DL, Lexington (Miss.) Holmes County – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 345

Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis has been by Holmes County twice since December. Mississippi State and LSU are considered the teams to beat early on. 

TJ Lindsey, DL, Bryant (Ark.) – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 414

Lindsey will make the visit rounds. Notre Dame was mentioned the most during the 2022 season. 

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 3 

Getting the nation’s top-rated EDGE on campus is always a plus. Add that his teammate Alex January will be in town, and former teammate Cameron Williams is on campus, and it’ll be a small D’Ville reunion. Georgia, LSU, and Alabama are setting the pace, but UT has pushed of late and will be angling for an official visit in June. 

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 127

The younger brother of Texas offensive lineman Neto Umeozulu will make it back to Austin. He’s seen Texas on numerous occasions and knows the staff and players well. Texas A&M and Oklahoma are making credible pushes for the On3 four-star. 

Caleb Moore, EDGE/DL, Hattiesburg (Miss.) Oak Grove – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 368

This will be the first trip to Texas for Moore. Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M are receiving the most mention early on. 

Kyngstonn Viliamu-Asa, LB, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 112

The natural inside linebacker brings hat, shoots gaps, and patrols the middle of the field. DeAndre Moore’s teammate can ball. 

Tyanthony Smith, LB, Jasper (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 421

The southeast Texas product has been on the road a lot lately, with stops at Alabama, TCU, and Texas A&M. He even attended a practice in College Station on Wednesday. Smith has taken note of how many linebackers Texas took last season, so that is something the coaches will have to overcome. Meanwhile, A&M’s depth chart is anemic.

Willis McGahee IV, EDGE/LB, Miami (Fla.) Christopher Columbus – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 399

The Hurricane legacy is connecting with Auburn, UCF, Nebraska, and Tennessee. This is more of a blind date for the two parties get to know each other.

Selman Bridges, CB, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 48

The rise of Bridges has been notable. After being virtually unknown last summer, he parlayed a strong junior campaign into 20+ offers including Alabama, USC, Tennessee, Oregon, and Oklahoma. Steve Sarkisian is the primary contact for the 6-foot-4 defensive back and that’s certainly helping the Longhorns’ cause. Bridges is one of the prospects most eager to see the ATX on Saturday. 

Joshua Lair, S, Fort Bend (Texas) Marshall – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: N/A

Lair has boomed on the recruiting scene lately, going from zero to 20+ offers in no time. He really likes Texas and wants to learn more about the program.

“I know they’re about to enter the SEC,” Lair told Inside Texas. “And they’re pretty known for producing top tier defensive backs.” 

For more on Lair, see Gerry’s article from Thursday afternoon.

P.J. Woodland, ATH, Hattiesburg (Miss.) Oak Grove – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 379

This will be the first trip to Austin for the quick playmaker. Ole Miss is receiving plenty of early chatter. 

Freddie Dubose, WR, Schertz (Texas) Smithson Valley – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 168

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

underrated? he's a 5* who 247 has as a top 10 prospect in the country. he has a ton of offers from literally everyone.

image.thumb.png.d786974fa60d6e066ca47588af9da834.png

he isn't underrecruited he is just interested most in places that are not Texas. has an OV to ND set. seems interested in Washington and Oregon.

Ofc rivals has him rated lowest lol.

Willis McGahee IV, EDGE/LB, Miami (Fla.) Christopher Columbus – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 399

The Hurricane legacy is connecting with Auburn, UCF, Nebraska, and Tennessee. This is more of a blind date for the two parties get to know each other.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls