Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

46 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Thompson is an all-conference safety. Crawford could easily be greatly improved as we have seen 2nd year development of a lot of players. I said I hope he doesn't leave, but Texas has plenty of quantity and quality to throw at the position. Williams is likely the best long term player at the position the minute he checks into the dorm.

Thompson has a while to go before he's an all-conference level safety, IMO.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Thompson is honorable mention. I never thought he was special or even a play maker. I Have rooted for Crawford for 3 years, I am not sure he can actually play safety. Agreed on Williams. Just never know how long it takes for a young guy to acclimate to safety.. I would have EDge below safety, but I think if you think about it and rank the positions. Safety will be at the back 1/3 on the list 

I'd prefer to retain depth at a position that could easily go south fast if injury bug hits.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Ari is a 247, Rivals tier team beat writer that managed to get hired by a national outlet. He is very vocal in his dumb opinion of stars trump everything and when people point out how dumb this opinion is and use Texas as an example he doubles down and says Texas is a special case and he’s still right. That’s also why he has thrown in with A&M, Jimbo’s elite recruiting was going to turn A&M into an elite program and prove his thesis right, and we now see how that’s going. Most coaching staffs and ADs don’t want to talk about recruiting in general and they certainly aren’t going to sit down with a national write who is a “recruiting/NIL” guy so Ari can only talk to handlers and bagmen or programs that are insecure enough that they desperately seek any sort of media approval. Which is how you end up with the Cook A&M NIL bullshit, the Texas side ignored him so he ran with what ever bullshit damage control A&M fed him. It also doesn’t help that he is also thin skinned as fuck and gets upset when people call him out, and he seeks out the approval of takes.  In short Ari Wasserman is basically just a national writer version of Billy Liucci.

It's a fact that if you average good recruiting classes and your roster has lots of bluechips, you're probably going to be good. Texas is the outlier, that happens (and sucks for us).

Aside from that, yeah, he mostly just says obvious shit and carries water for Ohio State because he's an unoriginal hack.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 8:24 PM, Not a Sock said:

Ari is a 247, Rivals tier team beat writer that managed to get hired by a national outlet. He is very vocal in his dumb opinion of stars trump everything and when people point out how dumb this opinion is and use Texas as an example he doubles down and says Texas is a special case and he’s still right. That’s also why he has thrown in with A&M, Jimbo’s elite recruiting was going to turn A&M into an elite program and prove his thesis right, and we now see how that’s going. Most coaching staffs and ADs don’t want to talk about recruiting in general and they certainly aren’t going to sit down with a national write who is a “recruiting/NIL” guy so Ari can only talk to handlers and bagmen or programs that are insecure enough that they desperately seek any sort of media approval. Which is how you end up with the Cook A&M NIL bullshit, the Texas side ignored him so he ran with what ever bullshit damage control A&M fed him. It also doesn’t help that he is also thin skinned as fuck and gets upset when people call him out, and he seeks out the approval of takes.  In short Ari Wasserman is basically just a national writer version of Billy Liucci.

This seems exactly right. 

On 4/20/2023 at 7:24 PM, Not a Sock said:

Perfect post. I have nothing to add. 

25 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Interesting, I'd heard that Clemson led for Gipson. 

Or was that Gibson?

GH said that if Gipson doesn't commit to Clemson soon that he likes Texas' chances.  Feels like there is a reason he hasn't committed yet.  

Who knows? He could commit to Clemson tomorrow.  

Edited by Post Oak

8 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Are we also looking at Barnett? Kicking potential also seems strong, which could obviously be helpful. 

No idea, only pointing out the irony in offering the #4 punter from Iowa when #3 can see campus from his backyard. 

The Kohls player evals indicate Barnett is ranked higher based mostly on potential. Big leg, less form. Seems Banks favors consistency, which is also proved out in Trejo

Edit to add: It’s also worth noting that Banks brought Trejo from relative  obscurity to an anticipated UDFA. Good story to tell, at minimum. Real. Coaching. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

I like his film. Good frame.  Moves well.  Obviously you have to take into consideration the competition but the guy makes plays behind the LOS. Turns and chases.  Seems to have a good motor.  It's easy to see him at 6'6 270 and being able to play multiple positions on the line.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2JuH7v

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls