Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

19 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I like his film. Good frame.  Moves well.  Obviously you have to take into consideration the competition but the guy makes plays behind the LOS. Turns and chases.  Seems to have a good motor.  It's easy to see him at 6'6 270 and being able to play multiple positions on the line.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2JuH7v

I could see him as a bigger Jack or a 5 technique if he keeps growing. He doesn't really have the burst off the edge you are hoping for in a great pass rusher, but he is a game wrecker and looks like he plays the run with some pretty good instincts. I could see him being a 5 to 7 sack guy just off of motor and guys getting flushed to him. 

39 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I could see him as a bigger Jack or a 5 technique if he keeps growing. He doesn't really have the burst off the edge you are hoping for in a great pass rusher, but he is a game wrecker and looks like he plays the run with some pretty good instincts. I could see him being a 5 to 7 sack guy just off of motor and guys getting flushed to him. 

That's a pretty good assessment. I think he will outgrow edge. For now, he has good speed, great size and a great motor as an edge. He will do the dirty work and get coverage sacks and push the pocket and use his speed to get from sideline to sideline. 

• Hook 'Em 1

(From the same school as Sydir Mitchell, and Flood supposedly has a strong relationship with the head coach there.)

Top247 offensive tackle sets Texas official visit

Brian Dohn

https://247sports.com/Player/Nyier-Daniels-46134718/

Spoiler

Brian Dohn

Top247 offensive tackle Nyier Daniels has a few visits he still needs to schedule, but he locked in one for late June.

The massive Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic prospect will head to the Lone Star state.

"I have Texas set for June 23," he said. "That's the only one so far."

The 6-foot-6, 340-pound Daniels was offered by the Longhorns in October, and there is a connection.

Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood recruited the region throughout his career, and he made plenty of connections when he was the head coach at Rutgers.

Flood was key in landing defensive tackle Sydir Mitchell out of Bergen Catholic in the 2023 class, and he has a strong relationship with Crusaders coach Vito Campanile.

Daniels is the No. 15 offensive tackle and No. 1 player in New Jersey in 247Sports' rankings.

Daniels' offer list includes Tennessee, Wisconsin, USC, Michigan, Texas A&M, Auburn, Florida State, South Carolina, Georgia, Miami, Rutgers and Penn State.

• Hook 'Em 9

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

(From the same school as Sydir Mitchell, and Flood supposedly has a strong relationship with the head coach there.)

Brian Dohn

Hide contents

Brian Dohn

Top247 offensive tackle Nyier Daniels has a few visits he still needs to schedule, but he locked in one for late June.

The massive Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic prospect will head to the Lone Star state.

The 6-foot-6, 340-pound Daniels was offered by the Longhorns in October, and there is a connection.

Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood recruited the region throughout his career, and he made plenty of connections when he was the head coach at Rutgers.

Flood was key in landing defensive tackle Sydir Mitchell out of Bergen Catholic in the 2023 class, and he has a strong relationship with Crusaders coach Vito Campanile.

Daniels is the No. 15 offensive tackle and No. 1 player in New Jersey in 247Sports' rankings.

Daniels' offer list includes Tennessee, Wisconsin, USC, Michigan, Texas A&M, Auburn, Florida State, South Carolina, Georgia, Miami, Rutgers and Penn State.

he has a strong relationship with Crusaders coach Vito Campanile.

Strong Jersey name

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 11:18 AM, satyanash said:

The Athletic is going wild with the hit pieces this week.

(Ari Wasserman) 3-Star U: Which schools are best (and worst) at developing NFL Draft talent?

Ari Wasserman: Texas’ problems aren’t going to be solved by a 5-star quarterback

To revisit this stupid fucking article - I listened to the Andy Staples show reactions to the first round of the draft this morning. Why? Because I like making myself angry. As you may know, Wasserman is Staples' crony and cohosts the show.

On the show, they talked about every player selected in the top-10 of the first round and they talked about every Big 12 player taken in the first round except one - Bijan Robinson. Isn't that strange? One of the best running backs in the draft in forever, the first running back drafted, and they even talked about Gibbs to the Lions - you would think they would at least stumble onto his name. It's noteworthy that a position that has been devalued in the NFL saw two players drafted in the first round, and that one of them was in the top-10, but they did not mention him once.

What makes this even stranger to me is the fact that it would be good radio to talk about. The dude who just wrote an article excoriating Texas for failing to develop 5-star talent into draft picks is on an NFL draft podcast when Texas has a 5-star player drafted in the first round. They don't want to rib him for that or ask if it changes his thinking? Even if his response is "Bijan is so good that he transcends Texas' ineptitude" that is still a soundbite that will get attention. Forcing Wasserman to backtrack or double down is a great way to generate clicks, especially when it involves Texas, so why didn't they? I honestly have no idea, but there's no way Bijan was left out of the conversation by accident. 

Sorry for the tangent but I am still angry about it. 

On 4/20/2023 at 11:18 AM, satyanash said:

The Athletic is going wild with the hit pieces this week.

(Ari Wasserman) 3-Star U: Which schools are best (and worst) at developing NFL Draft talent?

Ari Wasserman: Texas’ problems aren’t going to be solved by a 5-star quarterback

4 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

To revisit this stupid fucking article - I listened to the Andy Staples show reactions to the first round of the draft this morning. Why? Because I like making myself angry. As you may know, Wasserman is Staples' crony and cohosts the show.

On the show, they talked about every player selected in the top-10 of the first round and they talked about every Big 12 player taken in the first round except one - Bijan Robinson. Isn't that strange? One of the best running backs in the draft in forever, the first running back drafted, and they even talked about Gibbs to the Lions - you would think they would at least stumble onto his name. It's noteworthy that a position that has been devalued in the NFL saw two players drafted in the first round, and that one of them was in the top-10, but they did not mention him once.

What makes this even stranger to me is the fact that it would be good radio to talk about. The dude who just wrote an article excoriating Texas for failing to develop 5-star talent into draft picks is on an NFL draft podcast when Texas has a 5-star player drafted in the first round. They don't want to rib him for that or ask if it changes his thinking? Even if his response is "Bijan is so good that he transcends Texas' ineptitude" that is still a soundbite that will get attention. Forcing Wasserman to backtrack or double down is a great way to generate clicks, especially when it involves Texas, so why didn't they? I honestly have no idea, but there's no way Bijan was left out of the conversation by accident. 

Sorry for the tangent but I am still angry about it. 

I did the same but posted in 995 thread but here is a run down of every 5 star since 2000

image.png.a89ba50d442040a6f02389db2766c549.png

image.png.8438ff4cd2c4f269eedbfb97cac291e5.png

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Getafix said:

Brian Dohn

Reveal hidden contents

Brian Dohn

Imagine a kid from North Jersey taking a visit to College Station. 

Just FYI, the 247 way too early mock first round draft for '24 had Quinn, Xavier and Ja'Tavion all going in the first round.

Oh, and this guy too ... I guess it's a draft to be mocked?  

image.thumb.png.32b3f2d4293e6126e5f2dd471b073fa8.png

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 9

Anyone else feeling good about this recruiting cycle.  We’re in on some big names and there were a lot of positives about last season with coaching and developing.  Another year of these young guys and some big time transfers, this team is being built to make a run.  We’re in on some elite talent and probably lead for quite a few at the moment.  Unless anything crazy happens, looks like Texas is retaining its talent.  Need Sark to win this Bama game and we’re going to have another top 5 class.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Anyone else feeling good about this recruiting cycle.

We need somebody on the edge to have a good year to start to put that question to bed.  Good means high single-digits sacks and some conference honors. We can’t get where we want to go without good edge players, and they won’t come without evidence of development.  The likely best candidate is Sorrell.   Here’s where recruitniks say the decisions for the current class are based on previous years’ performance.   I’m not convinced that’s true for guys who take their decisions to the wire.  

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Anyone else feeling good about this recruiting cycle.  We’re in on some big names and there were a lot of positives about last season with coaching and developing.  Another year of these young guys and some big time transfers, this team is being built to make a run.  We’re in on some elite talent and probably lead for quite a few at the moment.  Unless anything crazy happens, looks like Texas is retaining its talent.  Need Sark to win this Bama game and we’re going to have another top 5 class.  

I'm not worried about any position on offense, except TE, because Sanders is gone after this year and we need a stud in line to replace him.

I think the DB haul is shaping up to be legit, and I think we'll land a couple of solid LB's to go with what we brought in last class.  If we are telling Modden we want him as a DB, I bet he jumps and goes somewhere where he can be a WR.

We'll get some DT's, but IDK if any will be a 5*/top 100 national recruit.  January and Hills look likely and both are high 3*'s, is the board going to melt over it?

I guess EDGE all depends on Simmons.  Not sure who we are in a good spot for after him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'm not worried about any position on offense, except TE, because Sanders is gone after this year and we need a stud in line to replace him.

Maybe Spencer Shannon can be that guy. But, he's not on campus yet, and may not even earn enough playing time this year to know if he might be that guy.

I don't hold out much hope for Will Randle ever being a meaningful contributor. 

11 hours ago, victory88 said:

just win baby.

Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, victory88 said:

It’s going to be about NIL as much as anything. I don’t like saying it and no one likes hearing it, but if we’re not competitive on that front, Texas will be trying to swim upstream. There are rumblings that LSU is going to behave like a drunken sailor this cycle and that would affect Texas. That’s also not confirmed and it isn’t like Texas won’t have NIL support - it will. Just something to keep an eye on. 

I try to prod on outlook for this class with my friends and they basically say to me what I posted in the first two sentences of the prior paragraph. Everyone would prefer the pitch to be about upward trajectory of the program and tradition and such, but there is still a ton of upheaval due to NIL and the portal for this cycle. If I had to make a prediction, and we should have one of those threads for this cycle and review the last one ( @Ricky's one-hitter ) , I’d bet on a top 5 class with a lot of turbulence to land it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

IT said they expect Colin Simmons to take official visits in June and if he does, they expect him to be at Texas the weekend of June 23rd (interesting strategy for a guy who likely is taking his recruitment to signing day).

Also listed out the competition for the Texas OL targets:

Daniel Cruz, IOL, Richland (Texas) High – Oklahoma and Texas A&M

Makai Saina, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Martin – Texas A&M, maybe Nebraska. 

Daniel Calhoun, OT, Marietta (Ga.) Walton – Alabama and Georgia

Nyier Daniels, OT, Oradell (N.J.) Begren Catholic – Florida State and Georgia

Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – USC, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon

Ory Williams, OT, San Marcos (Texas) High – LSU and Texas A&M

Michael Uini, OT, Copperas Cove (Texas) High – Clemson, maybe Florida

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s going to be about NIL as much as anything. I don’t like saying it and no one likes hearing it, but if we’re not competitive on that front, Texas will be trying to swim upstream. There are rumblings that LSU is going to behave like a drunken sailor this cycle and that would affect Texas. That’s also not confirmed and it isn’t like Texas won’t have NIL support - it will. Just something to keep an eye on. 

I try to prod on outlook for this class with my friends and they basically say to me what I posted in the first two sentences of the prior paragraph. Everyone would prefer the pitch to be about upward trajectory of the program and tradition and such, but there is still a ton of upheaval due to NIL and the portal for this cycle. If I had to make a prediction, and we should have one of those threads for this cycle and review the last one ( @Ricky's one-hitter ) , I’d bet on a top 5 class with a lot of turbulence to land it. 

I don't feel like this class is going to be all that good right now, but maybe that's because we aren't flashing any initial cash right now to jump out in front.  I know this- Colin Simmons absolutely positively has to be a massive priority. I'm fine with never spending a dollar on a high school WR or QB or RB or CB or S because it appears as if those guys will always be available in the portal. But dominant Edge's, really good OT's and difference making IDL don't seem to exist in the portal.  We've got to get that dude.  We should have plenty of money to spend on a guy like that as we should be out of the game at OT, QB, WR etc.  
We need a kick ass tight end and a kick ass Edge and a couple really good DT's.  None of that seems like it should break the bank. The rest can be saved for roster maintenance and a WR or 3 in the portal- depending upon what happens with losing Worthy Neyor and AD to the draft with Whittington also moving on.  

Really- this year was the year we needed the TE as those guys just aren't ready to play until their 2nd year on campus.  That's a definite portal need that should be possible to fill. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

VIP Notes on Selman Bridges

Jordan Scruggs

Spoiler

VIP Notes on Selman Bridges

Jordan Scruggs

Howdy everyone!!

Wanted to stop by on the board and drop some notes on Lake Belton 2024 top-50 overall cornerback Selman Bridges after speaking with him yesterday evening.

As of now Bridges has two official visits set-

Arkansas OV: June 16th-18th

Texas OV: June 23rd-25th

He's working on getting dates set for his TCU official visit, but it's looking like he'll officially trip to Fort Worth the June 9th-11th weekend, but again those dates are not set in stone like the trips to Arkansas and Texas are.

At the moment, the three schools leading the pack in this recruitment include Arkansas, Texas, and USC, but like Mike and Hudson have reported throughout the last few months, Bridges is in no hurry to announce a commitment anytime soon as his plan remains to shut everything down towards the end of the cycle in late November/early December, meaning the expectation is that Bridges takes a handful of official visits throughout the fall up until his eventual commitment.

The Longhorns pursuit of the 6-foot-3 Bridges has been spearheaded by Steve Sarkisian himself, but it's also worth noting the exceptional job cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph and newly hired Director of High School Relations Jahmal Fenner have also done in this recruitment.

Bridges is also planning on dropping a top nine later in the week that will obviously include the four programs mentioned above in Arkansas, TCU, Texas, and USC among the five other programs on the list.

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin switched his from Texas to tech in March, too.

I could very well be reading the website incorrectly, but I don't think Nahlin switched from Texas to Tech in March.  It reads (to my eye anyway) that Nahlin made a RPM prediction for Texas with a 65% confidence on 3/25/23.  Before that prediction, the prediction algorithm had Texas at 30.5% and Tech at 23.8%.  After Nahlin's prediction, the algorithm moved to Texas 80% and Tech 8.6% (really odd swing IMO).  After the Spielgelman prediction, the RPM currently sits at Texas 49.6% while Tech is 43.4%.

Or I'm reading it wrong.  I don't know.

https://www.on3.com/db/micah-hudson-145743/recruiting/125563/rpm/

• Hook 'Em 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls