Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

15 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wiltfong did a recruiting video and still has Simmons leaning LSU.

We’ll get’em. Hill was leaning A&M (even committed) Colton Vasek was pinned for Oregon (committed to OU)  and we see what happened. 

It kinda does feel like a Bryce Anderson or Harold Perkins recruitment where we know he likes us he just likes someone else a little more at the moment, hopefully he takes it the full length so we can show the dominance on the field, I think that will help us tremendously 

Edited by D3zii

Apparently Texas has decided that Nigel Smith could be a really good edge. That's awesome, but I sure wish they'd have decided that 6+ months ago and not ignored the guy. He's a guy Texas normally lands in-state, so maybe they'll make up the necessary ground here. I like the way this staff recruits and evaluates, but no one is perfect.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

We’ll get’em. Hill was leaning A&M (even committed) Colton Vasek was pinned for Oregon (committed to OU)  and we see what happened. 

It kinda does feel like a Bryce Anderson or Harold Perkins recruitment where we know he likes us he just likes someone else a little more at the moment, hopefully he takes it the full length so we can show the dominance on the field, I think that will help us tremendously 

Hey Phrasing GIF - Hey Phrasing Hey Phrasing - Discover ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, D3zii said:

I believe it was Gerry that said he believed the staff is making a big bet on the 2023 season. The staff is intentionally slow playing it and hunting big game, with the belief they will be able to close late with a big results on the field. I think some of that approach is based on this being considered a down year in Texas, so there is a much bigger need to look out of state and delve into tougher recruitments. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I believe it was Gerry that said he believed the staff is making a big bet on the 2023 season. The staff is intentionally slow playing it and hunting big game, with the belief they will be able to close late with a big results on the field. I think some of that approach is based on this being considered a down year in Texas, so there is a much bigger need to look out of state and delve into tougher recruitments. 

I like it. No balls, no blue chips, nothing ventured, nothing gained, you miss every shot you don't take etc...

Complete opposite of Mack Brown filling up in February-March of the preceding year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Micah Hudson

- schedules OVs to Texas and Texas Tech

- 247 (Jordan Scruggs) thinks Texas and Tech remain leaders

image.thumb.png.b8936512253c3bc7acb3948ad3a73623.png

And for the lulz ... here's Roach:

image.thumb.png.b3d398f3e8c3fe065941dfa666d45e4c.png

(I suppose from Roach's perspective, the novel concept of expressing an opinion should qualify as "killer stuff."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Colin Simmons is in Austin this weekend to train at Jeremy Hills’ facility “Kollective” with some NFL players like Parsons. Hill and Baxter have been there recently too, so that is a nice tool to have in recruiting and for offseason work. Gerry also mentioned that there is a good chance UT grad David Mulugheta will be Simmons’ agent. IT had LSU with the edge (for the EDGE) as of yesterday, but this seems like decently important information pointing in our favor. Mulugheta does have big time athletes from other schools signed as well, but not sure if any of them have been with him while in college for NIL deals. Hopefully Simmons somehow finds some time to visit campus.

Edited by CashMcCoy
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tech should never be a pain in our ass for a 5 star, but unique circumstances with a letterman dad. I’m glad a compromise school like OU/aggy/LSU hasn’t entered the chat. 

Tech can be a pain in the ass in isolated circumstances. Maguire is a good recruiter, and if the double eagle guys get involved then you could have a real race. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tech should never be a pain in our ass for a 5 star, but unique circumstances with a letterman dad. I’m glad a compromise school like OU/aggy/LSU hasn’t entered the chat. 

You need to adjust your thinking on this. When a place like Jackson State can land 5 stars, it should be obvious NIL is changing the landscape. The Techs of the world can throw an unreasonable amount of money for one bell cow, while real programs like Texas are consistently having to maintain balance on numerous “worthy” athletes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:37 AM, D3zii said:

Oregon is far away. And you’re saying atm and lsu are the same? And then you cite two recruits that “liked us” and ultimately ended up picking other schools? Really great take there. I mean it. Top quality stuff. You forgot to tell us how great we looked in the Noah Cain recruitment too. Loved us the whole way. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Jelani Watkins had a big day at the State Championship track meet, winning gold in the 200 with a 20.54 and both relays. I saw a tiktok of the 4x100 where he slows down to shittalk the little Duncanville anchor before just blowing him away

I'd assume the DVille anchor is Caden Durham

https://247sports.com/player/caden-durham-46128016/

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

My bad, I thought this was the 2024 recruiting thread? Is it unreasonable to mention a kid in the '24 class that just put on quite a display of athleticism, that comes from a hell of a bloodline, and that also plays a position of great need for our team?

If he was 2" taller, he'd be a high 4 star and likely a Top 20 talent in Texas.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls