Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

More importantly, if your roster is missing defensive ends and linemen, those kids aren't going to be available in the portal and tampering them to come will only fill some of the holes in the lineup and will be very expensive. Plus, you are assured of having no depth so if any of your starters get injured, you are screwed. The portal will always be a short-term and limited fix.

This isn't completely true, but there is truth in it.

The portal is going to reflect stereotypes that exist for good reasons. WRs and QBs have massive egos and tend to be prima donnas. Every cycle, including those that have already occurred for proof, is going to have excellent answers at QB and WR if you need them and can afford them. These roles like the drama, the money, and expect to be starting immediately.

Conversely, DL and OL are going to be much harder to find, in large part due to the mindsets impacting those positions. On top of that, when an amazing OL or DL shows up in the portal, it's usually a done deal via tampering. Those positions, if they can rationalize it, will be stagnant. This is why the fantasizing about each DE/E that enters the portal is humorous. If Texas is going to land an E in the portal, it's because they already negotiated the deal. 

CBs, TBs, LBs, S, and TEs are somewhere between the two extremes. Those roles can be opportunistically found if you need them, but you best not count on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This isn't completely true, but there is truth in it.

The portal is going to reflect stereotypes that exist for good reasons. WRs and QBs have massive egos and tend to be prima donnas. Every cycle, including those that have already occurred for proof, is going to have excellent answers at QB and WR if you need them and can afford them. These roles like the drama, the money, and expect to be starting immediately.

Conversely, DL and OL are going to be much harder to find, in large part due to the mindsets impacting those positions. On top of that, when an amazing OL or DL shows up in the portal, it's usually a done deal via tampering. Those positions, if they can rationalize it, will be stagnant. This is why the fantasizing about each DE/E that enters the portal is humorous. If Texas is going to land an E in the portal, it's because they already negotiated the deal. 

CBs, TBs, LBs, S, and TEs are somewhere between the two extremes. Those roles can be opportunistically found if you need them, but you best not count on it. 

I think we are saying the same thing, but you were more clear.

When I mentioned OL and DL, I was thinking specifically about Bear who was tampered into the portal and was very expensive. If it wasn't for tampering, Bear would have probably stayed at Georgia.

Depth can't easily be obtained in the portal. So teams who rely on the portal will have limited depth.

QBs will be available but they may not be exactly who you want. USC can do it and we can do it but most schools are going to have to hope guys like Card, Thompson, and Rising pan out. WRs are plentiful.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There aren't "10 silents" and whichever $9.95er put that out there is an imbecile. There will be at least 10 public commitments over the next two months, though. There is a ton of confidence around the June visits and Texas under Seven Loss Steve has handled those weekends very well.

I believe it came from the TFB.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If it was then it absolutely was completely made up horseshit. 

honestly, whoever said it it was made up horseshit. ten silents is stupid. btw that list included a couple of top 100 guys, a consensus 5* DB, etc.

it was dumb. nobody has ten silent commits.

• Hook 'Em 1

VIP Notes on two priority Texas targets

Mike Roach

Spoiler

VIP Notes on two priority Texas targets

Mike Roach

Saturday's 7-on-7 state qualifying tournament in Justin brought out some big names. All eyes were on Lake Belton as they progressed through pool play with a team that featured two of the top prospects in the country. Five-star wide receiver Micah Hudson and four-star cornerback Selman Bridges both shined for the Broncos, and both are major priorities for the Longhorns.

Let's start with Hudson. The elite wide receiver turned in several "wow" plays for Lake Belton through three games of pool play. Afterward, I spoke with Hudson for a few minutes to catch up on his recruitment. He's got visits slated for Texas (June 23) and Texas Tech (June 9) and is working on setting up trips to Alabama, Ohio State and "possibly" Texas A&M. Texas Tech has been the school getting all of the buzz in the recruitment. For the last few months, those closest to Hudson have told us they expect him to stay in state. While Tech has all the momentum, I'm not counting out Alabama or Ohio State right now.

Texas is also right in the mix, and I think Chris Jackson has done a lot to put them in a good position. In fact, I'm not sure Texas would be here if Brennan Marion was still on staff as Hudson didn't seem to have the same connection. I'd handicap Tech as the leader right now, but one interesting thing Hudson told me was that he would continue to evaluate schools even after he made his commitment. As of now, I don't expect Hudson to commit early, but he's fairly unpredictable and could just choose to shut it down at any time. Texas has some work to do, but they will get their chance at the end of June when they host him.

I think the Longhorns are in a much better place with Selman Bridges. Bridges has visits to TCU (June 8), Arkansas (June 18) and Texas (June 23). He's also working on setting up a trip to USC to see the Trojans. The Longhorns have done a great job making up some ground in this recruitment and that's a credit to Terry Joseph and Steve Sarkisian who have both been in heavy contact with him. Bridges also has a skill trainer in Austin and mentioned that signing with Texas would allow him to stay close to his trainer. Bridges talked about the possibility of taking more than five visits and extending his recruitment into the fall, but he also said he could shut it down if something feels right. I like where Texas stands headed into the summer and think they can take a big step on their official visit.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TheContractor said:

Players can now take unlimited officials(crazy) so he will OV Lsu and UGA and probably UF/Bama if he has weekends free. 

Gerry mentioned how few weeks during the season the Duncanville kids will have thought with an expected playoff run and Coach Samples liking Saturday practices. For a kid who will be an early enrollee which limits that space even more it can only be a good thing a visit is already set. Would not want to be aggy fighting Georgia, Bama and LSU for an open weekend or midweek.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Apparently On3's percentage predictor has us currently as the highest chance to land him.

Screenshot_20230529_115222_Chrome.jpg

Neat. His tape looks sound - uses his hands violently in the pass rush and when he kept his pads down he absolutely bulldozed people. Can't say I know anything about the level of competition in the Northeast Oklahoma Association of Homeschools, though, so maybe it's not as impressive as it seems. 

58 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Neat. His tape looks sound - uses his hands violently in the pass rush and when he kept his pads down he absolutely bulldozed people. Can't say I know anything about the level of competition in the Northeast Oklahoma Association of Homeschools, though, so maybe it's not as impressive as it seems. 

If you have ever tried running track in floor length denim skirts you would realize that homeschool athletics is no joke.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Apparently On3's percentage predictor has us currently as the highest chance to land him.

Screenshot_20230529_115222_Chrome.jpg

Let's not start acting like the On3 predictor has any sort of value. We could straw poll 15 regulars on this board about each year's 1000+ recruits and be more accurate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls