Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Whither LSU?  Familiar enough already?  A head fake?  Shock the world visit?

I don't know. LSU is probably still the leader. But, aggie is sure to negative recruit and throw cash on the visit following ours.

Top100 OT Blake Ivy locks in Texas official visit date

Hank South

(Plus some additional snippets from Standish, South, and Perroni.)

Spoiler

Top100 OT Blake Ivy locks in Texas official visit date

Hank South

Add another name to the bevy of official visitors expected at Texas this month — Blake Ivy. The 6-foot-3.5, 285-pounder from League City (Texas) Clear Springs will be on campus for an official visit June 16-18, according to 247Sports’ Brian Perroni. Ivy will also be at Texas A&M this upcoming weekend and LSU June 23-25.

The Longhorns do not yet hold a commitment from an offensive lineman, but after signing 12 big bodies in the trenches the last two recruiting cycles, numbers at the position are likely to be smaller in 2024 anyway.

Ivy is ranked the No. 6 offensive tackle and the No. 95 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

There are not yet any 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions for Ivy.

*********************************************************************************************

image.thumb.png.8785e077f876abf61d183f518d7034cc.png

image.thumb.png.6db3d6a171275ef4339123b850aa0da5.png

Also, per Perroni:

"He does not have a decision timeline at this point but does not plan to wait until Signing Day to make an announcement."

• Hook 'Em 1

2023's Blue-Chip Ratio
Five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons maps out several summer visits
The Duncanville (Texas) High blue-chipper will travel from coast to coast.

STEVE WILTFONG

The recruitment of Duncanville (Texas) High five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons is about to kick back into high gear this weekend as the blue-chipper takes his first official visit of the process to Miami.

The return trip to Coral Gables begins what will be an awesome summer for the coveted pass rusher who according to his mother Monica McCarley has also scheduled an official to Alabama the weekend of June 16 and Texas the weekend of June 23.

In addition to those three official visits, a return to Oregon is locked in for June 20 for what will be a three-day unofficial. Texas A&M will get the family back July 28 for their big barbecue they annually host for coveted recruits. That's also an unofficial

Can someone give me a reason to be excited about Parker Livingstone's potential commitment? Not trying to be an asshole, it's a legit question. I honestly haven't dug into this cycle yet compared to years past, but he looks like a pile of yeast slathered between two slices of sourdough. His offer lists looks good, but based on the guys who've actually assigned recruiters to him, I'm guessing it's not committable. His highest rankings are ESPN and Rivals, which is not typically a great indicator, and ON3 and 247 aren't high on him at all. Kindly, folks, enlighten me. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Can someone give me a reason to be excited about Parker Livingstone's potential commitment? Not trying to be an asshole, it's a legit question. I honestly haven't dug into this cycle yet compared to years past, but he looks like a pile of yeast slathered between two slices of sourdough. His offer lists looks good, but based on the guys who've actually assigned recruiters to him, I'm guessing it's not committable. His highest rankings are ESPN and Rivals, which is not typically a great indicator, and ON3 and 247 aren't high on him at all. Kindly, folks, enlighten me. 

Broncos legend Ed McCaffrey named new University of Northern Colorado  football coach – Greeley Tribune

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'll translate this for the unwashed: "Can someone tell me why I should be excited about a white WR that isn't built like Wes Welker?"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'll translate this for the unwashed: "Can someone tell me why I should be excited about a white WR that isn't built like Wes Welker?"

I mean, I was just going with "shitty ratings from the services I trust most." But I mean, I was excited by Jake Smith, as foolish as that turned out to be, so...

But yes, someone get me excited about the slow white guy. Because an 11.7 100 meters seems...prettaaaaaay slow.

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I was just going with "shitty ratings from the services I trust most." But I mean, I was excited by Jake Smith, as foolish as that turned out to be, so...

But yes, someone get me excited about the slow white guy. Because an 11.7 100 meters seems...prettaaaaaay slow.

He looks faster on football field IMO. In his higlights/film you don't really see him get caught from behind and you see him pull away from people as well. Deceptive speed for sure? Sure hands, large frame, athletic

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I guess last year we ended up pretty good at receiver in-state with Cook and Niblett, but it does feel like this is the 3rd straight cycle where WR recruiting will be a bit of a rollercoaster ride which is odd considering the friendly scheme and head coach being heavily involved recruiting that position. Having a 3rd WR coach in 3 years probably doesn't help. I did find it interesting that Gerry and Justin both mentioned last week that Chris Jackson being involved in the Hudson recruitment has us in better position than if Marion was still around. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I guess last year we ended up pretty good at receiver in-state with Cook and Niblett, but it does feel like this is the 3rd straight cycle where WR recruiting will be a bit of a rollercoaster ride which is odd considering the friendly scheme and head coach being heavily involved recruiting that position. Having a 3rd WR coach in 3 years probably doesn't help. I did find it interesting that Gerry and Justin both mentioned last week that Chris Jackson being involved in the Hudson recruitment has us in better position than if Marion was still around. 

Being able to pluck WRs from the portal like Neyor and Mitchell has me caring a lot less about WR recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 9

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Marion could recruit but let’s just say this, he related to a certain type of recruit. Hudson didn’t/ doesn’t really fit into the profile of a recruit that falls in line with Marion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Honestly this....I'd definitely like to hold onto this WR coach for more than 1 year though as relationships do matter.

That was apparently part of the criteria for the "right candidate" when Sarkisian was searching. Marion having one foot out the door from day 1 become a problem, especially when he effectively stopped working at one point when he thought he had the Tulsa job or some other role I don't recall.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Being able to pluck WRs from the portal like Neyor and Mitchell has me caring a lot less about WR recruiting. 

this is where I am at. You can go for 2-3 high end kids. If you miss, the portal is loaded with solid WRs. Its the easiest position to fill from the portal, so its hard to get too worried about WR recruiting. 

Also, there's still value in having some OKGs in the class. There are a lot of theories out there on the causes and consequences of turnover (e.g., transfers and graduates). I'll spare the details but the names will give you the gist of it: person-organization fit, organizational commitment, leader-member exchange, etc. Culture is kind of a boogey man in sports, but it's a very real thing. And having some guys that are more likely to stick around at a high turnover position that's usually filled with divas can't hurt. 

I don't know if Livingstone is that guy, but IIRC he was a Texas fan growing up so that's at least a start. 

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Also, there's still value in having some OKGs in the class. There are a lot of theories out there on the causes and consequences of turnover (e.g., transfers and graduates). I'll spare the details but the names will give you the gist of it: person-organization fit, organizational commitment, leader-member exchange, etc. Culture is kind of a boogey man in sports, but it's a very real thing. And having some guys that are more likely to stick around at a high turnover position that's usually filled with divas can't hurt. 

I don't know if Livingstone is that guy, but IIRC he was a Texas fan growing up so that's at least a start. 

So he’s a coach on the field? 

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

My thoughts too. I like that Sark goes after the high end guys but is also bringing in development guys who know they are on a longer track and are fine with that. Guys who plan to be in Austin for 5 years and hope to supplement with experience and scheme fit what they lack in talent. Maybe they're bread, but they're bread with upside if they're an OKG. I would normally call that loser talk, but Sark is also bringing in blue chips so it feels more like part of a strategy and less like falling back to our third choice. 

That's in addition to the fact that it seems like there is always top end WR talent in the portal. 

39 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Livingstone's 100m time was from the first meet of 2022. He ran a 22.98 200m at that meet as well. A couple months later he ran a 21.69 200m. Some context does help. 

yeah. You're right, there's always room for improvement. At this rate with just some more training and growth and multiple cycles of steroids he'll have a hair under 11 in no time. 

You guys have convinced me to dig in on this one, no matter how unreasonable my position. I'm going to BO&W this motherfucker. 

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

yeah. You're right, there's always room for improvement. At this rate with just some more training and growth and multiple cycles of steroids he'll have a hair under 11 in no time. 

You guys have convinced me to dig in on this one, no matter how unreasonable my position. I'm going to BO&W this motherfucker. 

I think he's a decent developmental outside WR. He OV'd at South Carolina this past weekend and OVs at LSU this weekend. The Casey Cain comparison is a little ridiculous. His offer list is miles better than Cain's. Again, Livingstone's 200m PR is a 21.69. Cain's was 24.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

One of my favorite moments as a Texas fan who frequents message boards was when Jake Oliver briefly became a thing in 2016. The Football Board may never have been happier. 

Couldn't have come too soon. I had been contemplating cutting myself for several years by that time...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've asked about Livingstone recently because I don't get it. It's largely what's being assumed on here. We're competing against Arkansas and South Carolina for his services, soooo, yeah. He's a glue guy/OKG and won't be a headache on NIL. He's everyone's only headscratcher for Texas in this cycle. 

To the last point, things look good for the coming weeks. There's no naivete around how NIL works or will it work or do we have it. Corporate work is now also being actively pursued. Coaches can make a pretty attractive sell to what recruits would be in store for at Texas by simply highlighting how things are going for the current roster. There aren't many guys who will visit who aren't thinking about NIL front and center. 

Everybody thinks they're in on the right guys. 

The only major issue in this cycle may not be an issue either - can Sarkisian win 10+ and look like a coach who can build a playoff regular? 

How involved is Mulugheta/Athletes First and Kollective, the Jeremy Hills thing?

1 hour ago, RollingPresidential said:

How involved is Mulugheta/Athletes First and Kollective, the Jeremy Hills thing?

I'm not super close to most details or any of the sausage-making at this point. @RGBIII and @SquishMitten might know more on this question. They also might not be anyone closer to any of it than me, so who knows?

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not super close to most details or any of the sausage-making at this point. @RGBIII and @SquishMitten might know more on this question. They also might not be anyone closer to any of it than me, so who knows?

I just know they're around a lot of the guys and that Hills trains them; that Mulugheta is involved with Hills and Kolective; and that Mulugheta is a UT alum. Didn't know if there was a pipeline situation there (yet?).

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls