Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I like his film - It's hard to see on film why he is a 3 star and Myles Davis is a 4 star. They both have better size and speed than the IMG/Fort Worth Brewer guy (Jordon Johnson-Rubell). He hits hard but there is very little of him in coverage and I personally would worry about him being maxed out at 5'10" 185lbs.

On a separate note, I hope we pursue Solomon Williams at Edge. His film looks solid.

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Nice feet and base on Cruz on those reps.

On3 said he was the most impressive OL today.  Also had praise for Blake Ivy.  That Rivals ranking for Cruz may be the worst so far for this class.  Looks like a .93-.94 composite type player.

Said the standout DB's today were Selman Bridges and this guy (has a Texas offer).

https://247sports.com/player/david-kabongo-46133423/

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

On3 said he was the most impressive OL today.  Also had praise for Blake Ivy.  That Rivals ranking for Cruz may be the worst so far for this class.  Looks like a .93-.94 composite type player.

Said the standout DB's today were Selman Bridges and this guy (has a Texas offer).

https://247sports.com/player/david-kabongo-46133423/

Myck Kabongo - basketball Texas - is from Toronto via NJ and then Nevada. So probably not related.

7 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

As if we needed anymore evidence that the $9.95ers are still "gathering information" (read: kind of clueless at this point) about the 2024 class at this point, go watch this kid's highlights and tell me he doesn't look like a mid to high 4 star. I mean, I KNOW it's highlights, but look at how he gets through blocks so effortlessly, moves side to side, and diagnoses plays. This kid looks like a player (again, BASED ON HIS HIGHLIGHTS, which as we all know, can be very deceptive). You could also check his offer list and ask youself "hmmm... does that seem like a 3-star offer list?" Spoiler: it does not. At all. 

On 3/12/2023 at 5:35 PM, Bevo said:

I like his film - It's hard to see on film why he is a 3 star and Myles Davis is a 4 star. They both have better size and speed than the IMG/Fort Worth Brewer guy (Jordon Johnson-Rubell). He hits hard but there is very little of him in coverage and I personally would worry about him being maxed out at 5'10" 185lbs.

On a separate note, I hope we pursue Solomon Williams at Edge. His film looks solid.

I remember IT or somebody saying we are recruiting Johnson-Rubell for the NB position.  Same as Barron.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night: Crystal Balls galore for several in state prospects

Mike Roach

image.jpeg.94e343389d8ece7c7c47a98f1380b29f.jpeg

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Crystal Balls galore for several in state prospects

Mike Roach

The 2024 class is really heating up with camp and 7v7 season upon us. It’s been a while since we fired up the Crystal Ball machine, so I thought I’d come to you tonight with some new picks.

I wrote about him in The Stampede, but I like where Texas stands with four-star safety Jordon Johnson-Rubell. There are still some other big time programs in the mix that could make a move, but I feel that Blake Gideon has the Longhorns in a great spot. I’m entering a pick for Texas with a confidence level of 6.

Richland OL Daniel Cruz is another guy we’ve been watching and monitoring closely for months. The powerful center prospect has been a priority for Kyle Flood since early on and we feel Texas is racing out to a lead in this race. Ohio State is also involved but I think Texas will be tough to top. I’m entering a pick in favor of the Longhorns at a confidence level of 7.

Lucas Lovejoy WR Parker Livingstone is another player I’ve had confidence on for a while. I wanted to wait a bit to check with a few other sources, and after doing so, I like the position for Texas. I’m entering a Texas pick at a confidence level of 7.

Going away from Texas, I think Michigan is trending early for Longview RB Taylor Tatum. The Wolverines have been all in on both the football and baseball side. I think they will be tough to beat but the race could heat up if USC or Texas make a big push. I’ve got Michigan trending with a confidence score of 6.

Oklahoma is ramping up in year two of Brent Venables and I see them in a great spot for two of the best in the 2024 class. Duncanville RB Caden Durham has a bunch of ties to the school, and everyone we speak to feels it would be surprising if he goes anywhere else. Midlothian WR Bryant Wesco is really taking off, but Emmett Jones has been on him at multiple schools. I like OU here right now but this recruitment has the potential to evolve into a big time race this summer. I’m entering picks for the Sooners on both guys with confidence scores of 7.

I also feel Oklahoma will load up on quarterbacks in the next two classes. Frisco Emerson passer Michael Hawkins. is set to make a decision soon, and the Sooners would make a lot of sense given their pursuit and the offer to his younger brother recently. Oklahoma also just offered 2025 Prosper Rock Hill quarterback Kevin Sperry, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him shut things down early. I’m entering Oklahoma picks for both quarterbacks at a confidence score of 7.

image.thumb.png.366e5de6a55d85be754d3694884346dd.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

March 25th visit list

Spoiler

Texas March 25 Junior day Visitor List

Christian Clark, RB/ATH, Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 171

Kedren Young, RB, Lufkin (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 255
*Maybe

Dozie Ezukanma, WR, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: N/R

Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 50
*Maybe

Ory Williams, OT, San marcos (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 578
*Maybe

Makai Saina, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Martin – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 492
*Maybe

Blake Frazier, IOL, Austin (Texas) Vandegrift– 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 338
*Added March 7

Ryner Swanson, TE, Laguna Beach (Calif.) – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 431

Kamron Beavers, DL, Bay Springs (Miss.) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 141
*Maybe

Terrance Hibbler, DL, Lexington (Miss.) – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: 547

TJ Lindsey, DL, Bryant (Ark.) – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 432

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 8 (5-star)

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 69

Caleb Moore, EDGE/DL, Hattiesburg (Miss.) Oak Grove – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: N0. 371

Kyngstonn Viliamu-Asa, LB, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 90

TyAnthony Smith, LB, Jasper (Texas) High – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 378

Selman Bridges, CB, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton – 2024
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 86

P.J. Woodland, ATH, Hattiesburg (Miss.) Oak Grove
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 368
*Added March 7

• Hook 'Em 8

Hudson on Freddie Dubose

Spoiler

After transferring from Schertz Clemens to Smithson Valley before the start of his junior year, 2024 wide receiver Freddie Dubose expected a breakout campaign that would vault him from top 100 player to potential five-star status. Unfortunately, during the fourth quarter of the opening game of the season against 6A San Antonio Reagan Dubose would tear his ACL running out of bounds after a first down and start a lengthy rehabilitation process that only recently allowed him to start running again.

Dubose didn't hesitate to start competing again after being recently cleared for full-speed activities and at a self-confessed "70%" condition looked like one of the better wideouts in attendance at Saturday's Under Armour Dallas camp. The Top247 athlete from San Antonio broke down all of the recent news in his recruitment in an interview with Horns247 after the event.

"Today felt good honestly, going into today's camp I wasn't expecting too much because I'm in the brace and feel about 70%," he said. "But with the percentage I'm at I still feel like I had a really good day out here against some good competition."

One of the bigger notes from the event was Dubose confirming a set in stone date for his commitment.

"I'm looking into official visits right now with a bunch of schools but I have a commitment date that is set in stone," said Dubose. "I'm going to announce my commitment during the pep rally before the first game of the year on August 25th."

Dubose had the strongest relationship with former Texas WR coach Brennan Marion of any player on the Longhorns' recruiting board, so an upcoming visit this March and recent contact with new WR coach Chris Jackson will go a long way to making sure the Horns stay in the thick of it with the coveted wideout.

"I'm going to Texas on March 25th and we'll see after that visit whether I decide to take an official visit or not to UT," he said. "The main thing with Coach (Chris) Jackson since he got hired is getting to know him and develop a genuine relationship. He knows that relationships are priority No. 1 for me since our first phone call when he got hired and I think he's a really good coach. He sends me a ton of film of how he helps craft the Texas receivers' games which I really like a lot."

247Sports National Scouting Analyst had this to say in his scouting report of Dubose.

"Owns requisite height and frame. Sinewy strong with lean, wiry build that will hold more mass. Dynamic with the ball in his hands. Gets involved in the passing game, running game, and return game. Dangerous when allowed a runway. Top-end speed fosters big-play ability. Also shows promising short-area elusiveness that should also aid in route-running development. Natural feel of a playmaker. Sees the field well and knows how to press blocks on screens, returns, etc. Texas 6A state qualifier as only a sophomore in the triple jump and long jump.

Fights the ball at times and can improve natural hands-catching ability. Unfortunately suffered an ACL tear in the season opener of his junior year, so will need a strong rehab period to prep for senior campaign. Physical traits, functional athleticism, multi-phase snaps, and two-sport profile suggest a high developmental ceiling if flipped to cornerback, but so far, all signs point to receiver in the long run.Projects as a similarly high-ceiling wideout who could become an impact P5 playmaker with upside beyond college."

• Hook 'Em 2

image.thumb.png.db0467df2ff1c7520682d02d8e78c9b5.png

(And a bunch of other places ... )

Spoiler

247Sports Composite's No. 1 edge rusher Colin Simmons begins spring visits this weekend

The 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 ranked edge rusher in Duncanville (Texas) High five-star Colin Simmons will begin his wave of spring visits this weekend by getting out to Arizona State.

The Sun Devils new staff includes receivers coach/passing game coordinator Ra’Shaad Samples who is the son of Duncanville’s head coach Reginald Samples. This trip to Tempe has been on the radar for awhile, along with these other trips that got scheduled.

Following this trip to ASU, Simmons mother Monica McCarley tells 247Sports they’ll return to Texas on March 25, Texas A&M on April 1 and USC on April 8.

The family has visits to Florida for April 13 and June 23 locked in. McCarley will be in Gainesville for the second trip.

Colorado is locked in for April 22 as Deion Sanders and the first-year staff host many of the nation’s best for their spring game.

“I’ve talked to LSU about a visit,” McCarley added. Simmons has been to Baton Rouge several times.

The Simmons camp knows what they’re looking for in a school.

“I hear him talk about an environment more than anything,” McCarley said. “For me as his mom I’m going to tell you, these are the things extremely important to me to drop my son off at a school: I look for a diverse staff, I’m looking for a mental health staff within the football program, bible study or some type of chapel or church program that the student-athletes can be part of, also the graduation rate of their student-athletes and if they can come back and get their degree if they move on to the NFL.”

Tabbed by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 4 prospect overall, Simmons racked up 33.5 tackles for loss and 22.5 sacks in helping Duncanville go 15-0 and win a state championship.

“I just think his quickness off of the ball is really special,” his head coach Samples told 247Sports this week. “He really knows how to torque his body and make himself look skinny. He does the things that are just right for an edge rusher that really makes it hard for a big guy and offensive tackle to contain him. I think he plays pretty consistent all the time. He’s a smart player. He watches for down and distance and if he knows it’s going to be a pass, he turns into something different off the edge. He turns into a different kind of a player.

“Without a doubt he’s one of the top defensive ends I’ve coached. His build, his speed and his quickness, he’s a prototype edge player and he rans at the top of edge players I’ve coached.”

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d be pretty happy with Cruz at a composite of .93-.95. He might the best OL in the state, Flood sure as hell thinks so, but the services knock down centers. 

Creed Humphrey kicked more ass than Roadhouse in his high school film, and he was an .8962 in his composite and .93 on 247. 

This is one of many things that I don't understand about the rankings, a top 5 center will be ranked behind ~25 offensive tackles. I suppose the recruiting analysts say that they're ranking based on NFL draft projections, so it makes sense on that level - but I'd certainly rather have the kick-ass center on my team at the college level. 

6 hours ago, NevaLost said:

This is one of many things that I don't understand about the rankings, a top 5 center will be ranked behind ~25 offensive tackles. I suppose the recruiting analysts say that they're ranking based on NFL draft projections, so it makes sense on that level - but I'd certainly rather have the kick-ass center on my team at the college level. 

Their response is always “we rank based on NFL Draft projections.” Humphrey had an excellent college career, and he still was drafted late second round. I guess that the ceiling on centers. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Their response is always “we rank based on NFL Draft projections.” Humphrey had an excellent college career, and he still was drafted late second round. I guess that the ceiling on centers. 

from 00-16 there were 8 total centers taken in the first round

since 2016 there was a first rounder taken in 2018 (#20), 2019 (#18), 2020 (#24), 2022 (#25) - so 12 in 22 years or 4 in the last 5 years

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Elite centers and guards can sneak in to the bottom half of round 1, but you are talking about 1 guy every few years.

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess, but it looks like there were still two centers drafted ahead of him. In fact, based on the historical draft numbers,  they should have 1-3 centers ranked in the top 50 every year, and a 5 star in most years. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls