Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

On 6/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop:

QB Cole Welliver, Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) - 2024:

Texas hosted one of the top passing prospects in the 2024 class for an unofficial visit on Saturday. The 6-foot-6 signal-caller and his family thoroughly enjoyed the camp and one-day trip.

“It was good,” said his father, JJ Welliver. “(UT) has an amazing stadium and heritage that come along with it. It was definitely hot and humid. Cole's still trying to get used to it. But overall, he had a great time.

Not cool and dry the way it is at most other major football programs in late June. 

Wells

Spoiler

QB Derek Lagway, Willis (Willis, TX) - 2024:

If you're into looking three classes ahead, here's a quarterback to know.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound sophomore carries a big arm and big-time confidence. He's constantly working and training, perfecting his craft. He hit UT's camp last weekend, and opened some eyes.

“UT’s message to me was understanding the level of competitiveness this university has to offer,” said Lagway. “Getting a feel of what they expect from their athletes."

With one offer in hand, Baylor, the same place where his father, Derek Sr, played running back, the snowball of attention will slowly seep into this sweepstakes. He had some praise from the Texas staff after his camp performance.

"(Texas) liked my height and size and ability to create big throws," Lagway said. "What stood out to me is seeing the multitude of great athletes and meeting some big-time players. Beyond grateful for this opportunity.”

One of those was Texas-Ex Vince Young, who you could say Lagway looks up to. And while this has a ways to go, I like how Sarkisian is already evaluating the future passers within the state borders.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Chad Simmons/On3

2024 Stacy Gage bursts onto the scene with 150 yards, 2 touchdowns
Stacy Gage is only a sophomore, but he did not look like one Friday night. The 2024 running back rushed for 150 yards and two touchdowns in the season opener. What would have been a third touchdown was called back. He was extremely impressive and is on track to be one of the top running backs in the 2024 class. LSU offered after his performance. Auburn, Georgia, Miami and others offered earlier this summer.

https://www.on3.com/news/simmons-top-five-performers-for-week-0/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mike Roach / 247 (Stampede)

Spoiler

TEXAS GIVES DYLAN RAIOLA A FIRST CLASS EXPERIENCE

Texas extended its first offer to an in-state 2024 quarterback over the weekend, and if you don’t count Sark honoring the offer that was already there for Cade Klubnik, this is the first in-state quarterback offer Texas sent out since Steve Sarkisian arrived.

Raiola isn’t getting too far ahead with anything, but this was an offer I think he and his family wanted. Texas got in at the right time as his stock will only continue to rise. I don’t sense Raiola making a move anytime soon, and he’s going to want to really look at his options moving forward.

Raiola moved to Texas from Arizona and his father played at Nebraska, but he doesn’t really have a “dream school.” He and his father have talked often about finding the right fit for him offensively that can prepare him for the future.

Earlier in the summer I mentioned that I spoke to a parent who said he came into the visit with Texas wanting to hate it but who loved everything they saw during their time there. That parent was Dominic Raiola who told me he was conditioned to hate Texas because of his time at Nebraska. Sarkisian and Milwee both have impressed the elder Raiola and he’s spoken highly of what they are doing at Texas.

In fact, I spoke with Dominic after the visit to see how everything went and he described everything as “first-class.” Raiola said that he has a ton of respect for the staff’s time and can’t imagine what it’s like having to host recruits and families while getting ready for a game. Having played at a high level, he knows what goes into pre-game prep, but he said everyone made them feel welcomed during the trip.

Raiola met with Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee before the game, and when the coaches had to get with the team, the wives took over. We’ve talked about Loreal Sarkisian getting involved in the recruiting effort, and Raiola said that Milwee’s wife took over when the coaches had to do their jobs. They were also able to spend time with Texas volleyball player Jhenna Gabriel who is a close family friend from Hawaii.

Over the summer, Raiola sat in on meetings with the staff to see how the offense works, and they were impressed with how well it translated to the field on Saturday. Raiola also mentioned how he saw it work at the NFL level with the Falcons and how he’s heard nothing but great respect for Sark as a quarterback developer. All in all, it’s fair to say that Texas blew the Raiola family away, and the pro-style offense is one that Raiola is in favor of having played in the league.

JULIAN SAYIN AND A NOTE ON WIDE RECEIVER RECRUITING

2024 Carlsbad (Calif.) quarterback Julian Sayin was also in town with his family for a visit this past weekend. Sayin has a link to Maalik Murphy through renowned quarterback trainer Danny Hernandez who has trained some of the best players in the country.

Sayin told Horns247 over the summer that he grew up a Texas fan and the offer was a dream for him. He immediately returned to see a game and loved every bit of the experience. Last time Sayin was in town, the facilities in the south end zone were still under construction, but the completed updates blew him away and he said he had never seen anything like the game atmosphere.

The offensive fit also stands out to Sayin who is a student of the game. Sayin spent time with AJ Milwee on Friday seeing how quarterbacks prepare the day before the game and he sat in on a couple of meetings. Texas might have some tough decisions to make with the wealth of talent at the quarterback position in 2024 and two guys in the class heavily interested already.

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

TEXAS GIVES DYLAN RAIOLA A FIRST CLASS EXPERIENCE

Texas extended its first offer to an in-state 2024 quarterback over the weekend, and if you don’t count Sark honoring the offer that was already there for Cade Klubnik, this is the first in-state quarterback offer Texas sent out since Steve Sarkisian arrived.

Raiola isn’t getting too far ahead with anything, but this was an offer I think he and his family wanted. Texas got in at the right time as his stock will only continue to rise. I don’t sense Raiola making a move anytime soon, and he’s going to want to really look at his options moving forward.

Raiola moved to Texas from Arizona and his father played at Nebraska, but he doesn’t really have a “dream school.” He and his father have talked often about finding the right fit for him offensively that can prepare him for the future.

Needs to be mentioned again that when Dominic Raiola played at Nebraska, he said this:

"I hate Texas," center Dominic Raiola said. "They're this high-and-mighty deal. I don't like that song either."

Texas players and coaches sing The Eyes of Texas after every game. Last season, Texas players hoisted Brown on their shoulders.

"I had my helmet on. My head down," Raiola said. "It was cloudy and kind of dark. It made me disgusted to hear that song. It made me sick to see them celebrating on our field."

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls