Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

When it comes to football, we all know that Gary Patterson walks on water. They could have a disaster season like they did in 2013 (4-8) and he's perfectly fine. Also, does he have his own personal towel boy since he sweats like a mother fucker? But besides football and athletics, tell me about their school, their culture. Also, what significance did Amon. G Carter play in the development of that university?

Amon G. Carter was the guy that sponsored Tech getting into the SWC. Otherwise Tech may have drifted with the old Border Conference and ended up like New Mexico. So Tech actually owes TCU a tip of the hat. On the other hand, TCU fans may be the worst in the conference, your mileage may vary, but my encounters with their fans have not been positive at all.

We know that we cannot ever compete with the big state universities for the number of fans, money, or recruits on a year to year basis.  The only way to even up the playing field is hire the best coaches available.  In that regard, we have been very fortunate.  Having competent athletic directors has also helped us out.

2 hours ago, GhostofDanJones said:

I hate when we have to play them in Fort Worth because I can never find any god damn parking!

There's plenty of easily accessible (and free) parking on both Hulen and Berry if you're willing to take a shuttle bus (also free).  Also tons of parking at Paschal HS for $20 with a free shuttle or a one mile walk.  I told you guys all of the stuff you needed to know before the last game.  Even the best routes in and out of the stadium area.  Pay attention next time.

New east side boxes, club and loge seating will be ready in '19.  Minimal change to overall capacity -- maybe 1,500 seats total -- but a big increase in income to the school from the sale of the boxes and loge seats.  It should also even out the stadium which was kind of lopsided before. 

Also, we are going to start selling beer at the baseball games.  It was previously only available in the club seating of football, basketball and baseball.  This is likely a test run for selling beer in the football stadium.  A no re-entry policy will be imposed for baseball now and I assume the same would apply for football in the future.  #TCUisnotachurchschool

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 12:39 PM, Extra Anejo said:

Amon G. Carter was the guy that sponsored Tech getting into the SWC. Otherwise Tech may have drifted with the old Border Conference and ended up like New Mexico. So Tech actually owes TCU a tip of the hat. On the other hand, TCU fans may be the worst in the conference, your mileage may vary, but my encounters with their fans have not been positive at all.

Fuck TCU.

We could not possibly have ended up in the PAC with the AZ schools...now could we?

You fuckers are like UH fans...just further north.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, angelos's frog said:

There's plenty of easily accessible (and free) parking on both Hulen and Berry if you're willing to take a shuttle bus (also free).  Also tons of parking at Paschal HS for $20 with a free shuttle or a one mile walk.  I told you guys all of the stuff you needed to know before the last game.  Even the best routes in and out of the stadium area.  Pay attention next time.

Fuck all that. The only way to get into and out of a TCU game is Uber/Lyft. Fuck a $20 PLUS shuttle bus ride parking spot. 

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

This! Last year I saw some place charging $50 to park. That's outrageous!

Parking AND shuttles from two churches 5 minutes away are free.  The shuttle from the high school one mile away is free with the $20 parking.  What are two Ubers going to cost you and where do they go to pick up all of the thousands of people leaving at the same time?  There is also parking for $40 at the churches 2-3 blocks away.  All of that is going to cost you less than a round trip on Uber once they upcharge you for the event.  I've never seen $50 parking unless it's in someone's front yard within a block of the stadium parking lot. 

8 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

Parking AND shuttles from two churches 5 minutes away are free.  The shuttle from the high school one mile away is free with the $20 parking.  What are two Ubers going to cost you and where do they go to pick up all of the thousands of people leaving at the same time?  There is also parking for $40 at the churches 2-3 blocks away.  All of that is going to cost you less than a round trip on Uber once they upcharge you for the event.  I've never seen $50 parking unless it's in someone's front yard within a block of the stadium parking lot. 

Thousands of people aren't taking Uber. This is how you fucking do it. I am a goddamn professional.

Get Uber to drop you off early near tailgate of your choosing. For me, it's probably $8-$10.
Wheel your cooler over to tailgate and get hammered.
Go to game
After game, walk to Uber pickup lot. Last year it was at Cantey and Wabash. Is there a wait? Well if you planned correctly, you still have beers in your cooler.
Maybe you pay a surge after the game so your return trip is $16-$20. Big fucking deal. 

You still paid less than $40, you still only had to walk 2-3 blocks total, and you got to get hammered without having to worry about driving. Fuck shuttle buses.

Edited by TornACL
  • Haha 1

At the Army- San Diego State game, we found one hidden lot by what I think was an elemntary school 2 blocks from stadium.

Free parking for veterans.  America!  Fuck yeah!!!

Have no idea how that sumbeech wasn't full at an Army game...

Otherwise, yeah the parking situation around that stadium is horseshit.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:39 PM, Extra Anejo said:

I would argue that New Mexico should be in the XII over Baylor as of tomorrow...

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 1:14 PM, GhostofDanJones said:

I hate when we have to play them in Fort Worth because I can never find any god damn parking!

Who needs god damn parking when you can have your mom drop you within 20 yards of the south end zone entrance and pick you up in the same spot after the game. That's what I did. Of course I was 10 years old and admission was $0.25 when that happened.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Well, they would be good competition for Track, Baseball and Soccer

The basketball program is normally pretty good as well...

As a matter of fact, when the XII was in the infancy of forming, New Mexico & BYU were both looked at as #13/ #14...

The XII even trademarked the name "Big 14"...

https://goo.gl/images/PvDpoQ

Parking is scarce, however since they allowed car to park on lawns for the Colonial, they are now allowing it for TCU football games.  That is your best bet for close in parking if you get there early enough.  Try North of the Tennis Center or North of the stadium.  The elementary that was mentioned is all season parking for TCU games.  

I went to our first game there in 2012.  It was fun, and the TCU fans were fine, even though we beat them soundly.

I had reservations about a religious university in Texas after my horrific visit to Baylor, but I had a good time.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I went to our first game there in 2012.  It was fun, and the TCU fans were fine, even though we beat them soundly.

I had reservations about a religious university in Texas after my horrific visit to Baylor, but I had a good time.

I remember that game well.  Boykin's first game as a starter.  Pachall was arrested early Thursday a.m. and Boykin started that Saturday.  We had a shitload of turnovers.  We also started a true freshman RB with BJ Catalon and I think the center Joey Hunt got his first start as a true freshman that day.  Rough game and rough season but it built a foundation for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.  The symmetry between the beginning and end of Boykin's college career is kinda spooky.  Thrust into starting job due to Pachall's screw up and then gets arrested two days before the Alamo Bowl to put Bram Kohlhausen in the same situation. 

Edited by angelos's frog

12 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

I remember that game well.  Boykin's first game as a starter.  Pachall was arrested early Thursday a.m. and Boykin started that Saturday.  We had a shitload of turnovers.  We also started a true freshman RB with BJ Catalon and I think the center Joey Hunt got his first start as a true freshman that day.  Rough game and rough season but it built a foundation for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.  The symmetry between the beginning and end of Boykin's college career is kinda spooky.  Thrust into starting job due to Pachall's screw up and then gets arrested two days before the Alamo Bowl to put Bram Kohlhausen in the same situation. 

AP_770206858716.jpg

Bram+Kohlhausen+Valero+Alamo+Bowl+TCU+v+

On 5/1/2018 at 2:30 PM, angelos's frog said:

New east side boxes, club and loge seating will be ready in '19.  Minimal change to overall capacity -- maybe 1,500 seats total -- but a big increase in income to the school from the sale of the boxes and loge seats.  It should also even out the stadium which was kind of lopsided before. 

Also, we are going to start selling beer at the baseball games.  It was previously only available in the club seating of football, basketball and baseball.  This is likely a test run for selling beer in the football stadium.  A no re-entry policy will be imposed for baseball now and I assume the same would apply for football in the future.  #TCUisnotachurchschool

Let the day drinking begin!

I don't understand why some of you are having issues with parking.  Just park on the street in the neighborhood across Berry and walk a few blocks.  It's a 10 minute walk at most.  

On 4/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, Longboard Horn said:

When it comes to football, we all know that Gary Patterson walks on water. They could have a disaster season like they did in 2013 (4-8) and he's perfectly fine. Also, does he have his own personal towel boy since he sweats like a mother fucker? But besides football and athletics, tell me about their school, their culture. Also, what significance did Amon. G Carter play in the development of that university?

He guided a perennial losing program of multiple decades from Conference USA to a P5, won the Rose and Peach Bowls and took TCU to multiple top 10 finishes.  He's allowed occasional bad seasons to rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don't understand why some of you are having issues with parking.  Just park on the street in the neighborhood across Berry and walk a few blocks.  It's a 10 minute walk at most.  

It's a stadium.  Build fucking parking garages if need be.  

It's like they intentionally planned on never having more than 15000 fans.

And that's fair.  They should have a parking garage.  But it's still not difficult to find a place to park within short walking distance from the stadium.

Edited by Tom

5 hours ago, slorch said:

It's a stadium.  Build fucking parking garages if need be.  

It's like they intentionally planned on never having more than 15000 fans.

God dammit this! I’ve always wondered why TCU doesn’t have any parking garages. They really need some. 

I went to the UT-TCU game in Austin in 2007. We fucked around and TCU led 10-0 at half. There was this TCU guy right in front of me and he kept slow-clapping and saying "Absolutely" and looking all around and nodding his head every time TCU did something positive. He seemed like an extraordinary douchebag. (Luckily the Horns woke up and Jamaal Charles ran them off the field in the second half and we won by 3 TDs, I think.)

That's all I got. I am generally pretty neutral on TCU. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I went to the UT-TCU game in Austin in 2007. We fucked around and TCU led 10-0 at half. There was this TCU guy right in front of me and he kept slow-clapping and saying "Absolutely" and looking all around and nodding his head every time TCU did something positive. He seemed like an extraordinary douchebag. (Luckily the Horns woke up and Jamaal Charles ran them off the field in the second half and we won by 3 TDs, I think.)

That's all I got. I am generally pretty neutral on TCU. 

You make a convincing case that this TCU guy was fascinating, even if he didn't shift your judgmental gears on TCU fandom. This TCU fan of yours is haunting my dreams with his rheumatic slow clapping, self-conscious west-east scanning, north-south nodding, and banal "go team" proclamations. I suspect he's a closeted gay, but I don't know that given the paucity of evidence about his cock. I just think we all deserve to know more about this man, memory recall permitting.

30 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Riff, Ram, Bah, Zoo
Lickety, Lickety, Zoo, Zoo
Who, Wah, Wah, Who
Give ’em Hell, TCU!

^^WTF does riff ram bah zoo mean? Is it a bunch of jibberish nonsense like hullabaloo? 

It's just jibberish. Nobody knows what it means. If I'm not mistaken, (TCU grads on here will have to correct me if I am) it was a chant that started in the 1920s and was an excuse to say hell as a swear word on a christian campus.

Just now, GhostofDanJones said:

It's just jibberish. Nobody knows what it means. If I'm not mistaken, (TCU grads on here will have to correct me if I am) it was a chant that started in the 1920s and was an excuse to say hell as a swear word on a christian campus.

Sounds like whoever created the chant had been day drinking.