Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

I know Mac pretty well. Worked with him for a number of years. He's a friend but he's way the fuck off on this column. His main point to "exonerate" Briles and his staff is that it was the university itself that was rotten to the core, much worse than the football program. You know Saddam's sons Oday and Qusay weren't so bad compared to Saddam. Some convoluted bullshit like that. Dude, they were all pieces of shit. That some were larger than others does NOT fucking excuse the rest of them.

Can you tell him I think he's a piece of shit hack journalist? Thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Mac Engel: Sonny Dykes hiring Kendal Briles is right decision for TCU

BY MAC ENGEL       JANUARY 18, 2023 

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

This guy's another Kunt Bowels... take a contrarian point of view for more attention and more clicks...

Mac Engel is the smarmiest and least credible sports reporter in the business, and holy hell is that saying something.  He epitomizes the "anything for clicks" state of the media, and sports reporting in general.   He'll write absolutely anything to carry TCU's water and/or get people to click on his story, no matter how incorrect, ridiculous, or just completely stupid it is, including writing false crap that actively harms others.  Stanning for Briles might just be his biggest douche move yet, but it's definitely in character for that worthless piece of shit.

EDIT TO ADD:  The FWST is no better, as they employ and encourage this colostomy bag of opinions along with others just like him.  It's been nothing more than a grocery store gossip rag for a long time.

Edited by Samson's Wig
truth bombs
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Mac Engel is the smarmiest and least credible sports reporter in the business, and holy hell is that saying something.  He epitomizes the "anything for clicks" state of the media, and sports reporting in general.   He'll write absolutely anything to carry TCU's water and/or get people to click on his story, no matter how incorrect, ridiculous, or just completely stupid it is, including writing false crap that actively harms others.  Stanning for Briles might just be his biggest douche move yet, but it's definitely in character for that worthless piece of shit.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47bl0ew9ni3ujkuahaeq

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope tcu and Dykes continue to catch nothing but hell and criticism for hiring "tape fingers" as their new OC.  

Just no excuse for tcu making this hire -- some type of curse should fall on their football program as long as KB is on their football staff. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I hope tcu and Dykes continue to catch nothing but hell and criticism for hiring "tape fingers" as their new OC.  

Just no excuse for tcu making this hire -- some type of curse should fall on their football program as long as KB is on their football staff. 

Is that the Casey Horny curse?

No reason for tcu to hire this briles scumbag

Briles-115152057.webp

TCU fan base split on potential hire of Kendal Briles as offensive coordinator

Mike CravenJan 15 10:01 am

The 65-7 loss in the College Football Playoff finale against Georgia failed to dilute the excitement building in the TCU fan base following a dream season that started 12-0 and included a Fiesta Bowl win over Michigan. Even rain streaming in from a mostly closed So-Fi Stadium in Los Angeles couldn’t dampen the promise of the future. 

The purple-clad nation of Horned Frogs was all-in. Together. Hopeful and rowing in the same direction. If this was year one, imagine what Sonny Dykes and his staff can pull off with some time. That’s all I heard in the Los Angeles airport, and from a few fans waiting next to baggage claim when we arrived back to DFW. 

And then something changed. News leaked out that offensive coordinator Garrett Riley was headed to Clemson for the same job. After a 13-2 season and a trip to the national championship game, Sonny Dykes & Co. could seemingly get the pick of the litter for its next OC. After all, the one before Riley – Rhett Lashlee – is now the head coach at SMU. Call plays for Dykes, and your career is off to the next step. 

The names that circulated were familiar. Dykes is an Air-Raid coach, after all, a descendent of Hal Mumme and Mike Leach. Possible replacements for Riley figured to be Graham Harrell or Seth Littrell or Jake Spavital or Jeff Lebby. But one name stuck out like a sore thumb – Kendal Briles. And now, the fan base is at odds with each other over the possibility of adding a Briles to the staff, at least on social media. Sources tell DCTF that Briles is the leading candidate for the gig. 

Hiring Kendal Briles would be a slap in the face to TCU fans and an affront to common decency,” said Grant McGalliard, the co-host of the popular Purple Theory podcast that covers TCU football. “It would negatively affect the way I view the entire program. And I can confirm that I have dozens of friends who are TCU alumni that feel the same way that I do.” 

To understand the issue more, let’s look backwards. Kendal’s father, Art, was the head coach at rival Baylor from 2008 to 2015. He and then TCU head coach Gary Patterson were in what resembled a blood feud at the time. TCU and Baylor hated each other as the two long-time rivals battled for Big 12 supremacy and national respect. 

The feud ended after the 2015 season when Art was fired after the Baylor University sexual assault scandal. An independent investigation stated that the findings, “reflect significant concerns about the tone and culture within Baylor’s football program as it relates to accountability for all forms of athlete misconduct.” Baylor president Ken Starr and Athletic Director Ian McCaw also left Baylor amid the sandal. Kendal was the offensive coordinator at the time of the allegations. 

Art has never coached college football again. He spent some time in the Canadian and Italian Football Leagues, as well as some time as the head coach of Mount Vernon High School. He was hired early in 2022 to be the offensive coordinator for Grambling State, however, he resigned four days later after backlash related to those prior scandals. 

Kendal continued to work in college athletics. He was the OC at FAU in 2017, Houston in 2018, Florida State in 2019, and has been at Arkansas since 2020. He coaches quarterbacks, which is important because so did the departing Riley, and has been the play caller of teams that have won around 50 games in the last five seasons. He’s an excellent coach. A great play caller. And is known in the college world as a quality recruiter. But so was Art. 

“I would just think TCU’s program could easily find someone comparable in experience and success that didn’t carry the baggage, pain, and hatred that Kendall Briles does,” said one female reporter that covers the team. “It feels so unnecessary. All the good will built up over the last season – they’re putting a pin in the balloon for some people.” 

There is another side to this. Kendal Briles was never charged with a crime, and he hasn’t had any issues at his previous four stops. These events happened happened nearly a decade ago, and the misgivings of a father shouldn’t overshadow the redemption of his son. TCU added Kaz Kazadi and Carlton Buckels to the staff in Dykes’ first year – both of which were on those same Baylor staffs. TCU fans voiced some displeasure at the time, but those quickly faded as the Horned Frogs marched perfectly into the Big 12 title game and then into the College Football Playoff. Lebby, who was also on that Baylor staff, is also at the top of Dykes' list, according to a source. 

“I think a lot of people need to ask themselves why this move would cause more hurt to the program than Kaz or Buckels,” another reporter for the team said. “On the field, yes, it is worth it. He runs top 25 offenses and coaches quarterbacks at a high level. Look at what he did with KJ Jefferson. He has a great relationship with the existing staff at TCU.” 

The answer is simple, of course. It is because Kendall’s last name is Briles. If he was Kendall Smith who happened to be the OC at Baylor during that time, the volume of discontent wouldn’t be turned up to 11. And Kendal was the offensive coordinator. Not the strength coach like Kaz or a cornerbacks coach like Buckels or a running backs coach like Lebby. 

Morality is hard to hold onto in college football. Kyle Field will remain full if the Aggies are winning despite employing DJ Durkin and Bobby Petrino. Questionable character exists in most professions, including mine. Most of us understand that second chances are a necessary part of life and that a few bad decisions shouldn’t cloud your reputation to the grave. But does TCU need to do this? Do they need to hire a man with the last name of the biggest heel to the fan base in recent memory? One with plenty of baggage? That’s only for Dykes and the administration to decide. 

As for the fan base, it also has a decision. To support a program gearing up to be a true power in the new-look Big 12 or to jump ship based on a hire they don’t agree with. Those are conversations for everyone to make on their own. But a division is forming in the fan base over this possibility, and it’ll be interesting to see how the TCU brass handle the pushback when this hire is officially announced.  

Dallas Morning News...

TCU hiring Baylor ex Kendal Briles will test Sonny Dykes’ goodwill with fans

Story by Chuck Carlton, 

Until that nightmarish national championship game, coach Sonny Dykes seemed to have a Midas touch in his first season at TCU.  

Everything he touched, every move he orchestrated, every call he made turned to gold for the Horned Frogs and their fans. Well, at least until the 65-7 loss to Georgia.

Even that did little to tarnish the most memorable TCU season since World War II.

But Dykes will face another test of the goodwill he’s accumulated after reportedly hiring Kendal Briles to replace offensive coordinator Garrett Riley, who took the same job at Clemson.

Briles is the son of former Baylor coach Art Briles, who is basically radioactive for his handling of a sexual assault scandal at Baylor that cost him his job. His son kept his job as offensive coordinator and was not cited by the NCAA for any wrongdoing.

He and other former Baylor staff members, such as TCU strength coach Kaz Kazadi and Oklahoma OC Jeff Lebby, resumed their careers with little repercussions.

Still, it’s hard to imagine the younger Briles being totally oblivious to the allegations of sexual assault that led to players’ convictions.

And there was the infamous quote from a Title IX lawsuit, with him allegedly telling a perspective recruit: “Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players.”

Yikes. While college programs used sex as a recruiting device long before NIL, that’s remarkably tone deaf.

It will be a hard sell, no matter how much Dykes and athletic director Jeremiah Donati talk about doing their due diligence or the importance of second chances, and no matter how much Briles could potentially help a team that’s losing Max Duggan, Quentin Johnston, Kendre Miller and a large chunk of the offensive line.

In three seasons as OC at Arkansas from 2020-22, he turned K.J. Jefferson into one of the most dangerous dual-threat quarterbacks in the SEC. The Razorbacks’ offense went from averaging 25.7 points and 391.5 yards in 2020 to 32.5 points and 471.2 yards this past season.

It’s not exactly what Riley did at TCU, but it shows solid improvement – even if Briles wasn’t immune to criticism by Razorbacks fandom.

And it’s not like TCU is hiring a coach from halfway across the country. The Baylor scandal occurred in TCU’s backyard.

Outside of maybe Texas Longhorns fans, no base was more outraged by what was happening at Baylor than the Horned Frogs. They haven’t forgotten.

As a football move, this pretty much defines the idea of high risk, high reward

image.png

Tcu waiting to announcehiring of "tape fingers" till Friday to avoid more media coverage was predictable. 

Also posting a family picture in the announcement is an attempt to get people to like the guy.

JUST A DISGUSTING AND UNNECESSARY HIRE BY TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY...

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

No reason for tcu to hire this briles scumbag

"The names that circulated were familiar. Dykes is an Air-Raid coach, after all, a descendent of Hal Mumme and Mike Leach. Possible replacements for Riley figured to be Graham Harrell or Seth Littrell or Jake Spavital or Jeff Lebby. But one name stuck out like a sore thumb – Kendal Briles. And now, the fan base is at odds with each other over the possibility of adding a Briles to the staff, at least on social media. Sources tell DCTF that Briles is the leading candidate for the gig." 

How does Lebby get a pass? He was right there in the middle of it too. On top of that he was the one caught trying to cheat by being on the Tulsa sidelines against OU in 2015, invited by their old friend Phil Montgomery

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

It's fascinating, and some of the reporting on it is as ridiculous as the hire itself.  Briles isn't getting blasted because of his last name.  He's getting blasted because he was directly involved in recruiting and enabling rapists to get away with their crimes in Waco.  Is the pushback louder because of his name than it was with Kazadi?  Sure.  Casual fans don't know the names of strength and conditioning coaches.  Reporting as if the only reason don't like the hire is because of his dad is either lazy or more likely completely disingenuous.  

Congrats, TCU, you're now the most shameful football program in America (or at least every one knows it now - those paying attention watched you target and take out starting QB after starting QB all season), directly on the heels of a magical season where you played in but lost both the conference and national championship.  The only trophy in the cabinet for this year should be an empty cup symbolizing the complete lack of both championships and ethics at your school and athletic department.

I still can't get over Sonny Dykes being the guy in charge of this.   I thought better of him and was completely wrong.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What really sad is that if they go undefeated again they won’t care anymore. If they stink they’ll use it as a reason to can Sonny. Seems like a huge risk for a head coach whose stock is probably as high right now as it’ll ever be.

What we're learning is that Sonny is either a sorry excuse for a human being or a really dumb guy.  It's a toss up.  Could also be both.

Fuck TCU even harder after this development.

Also, I love how some TCU fans have the audacity to flex on us and OU fans as being the more recent team to play for the national championship... Those fuckers didn't "play" in that game. They showed up and got off the bus, that's it. That was a pitiful demonstration of what being overmatched, outclassed, and straight up scared looks like. 

• Hook 'Em 4

This just shows how out of touch both Dykes and Kendal are.  I mean I'm sure they gave Kendal a nice raise so from that perspective it makes sense for him, but I don't care who the OC is next year, that offense is taking a major step back losing all of that skill position firepower (not to mention experience across the board).  You simply can't replace a 4 year QB + NFL starting caliber talent at WR and RB.  So knowing there is zero chance you can replicate last season (particularly considering several W's they pulled out of their ass even with that talent) they hire an OC the fanbase hates?  That's a great way to lose goodwill for Dykes, and for Kendall, you are the guaranteed scapegoat when things go bad.  Just a high risk career move when apparently no need to take that risk.  Could have stayed at Arkie or apparently gone to Miss St. if he wanted a move.  Just bizarre.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have a hard time seeing TCU as a step up from Arkansas. I’m wondering whether Arkansas was interested in parting ways with him. They certainly could have countered and maybe kept him, unless Briles wanted back to Texas. . 

Kind of difficult to work very long around those folks in Hawg-land... it's a different culture.  And lots of Hawg fans are glad KB left Arkansas.

No doubt that "tape fingers" wanted a job back in Texas where he grew up and still has plenty of family here.

Can't believe Sonny and tcu willingly brought that scumbag back to Texas... 

FUCK 

Edited by LTtxfan

I also like the family photo, especially since he has a daughter. But when she goes to college, she';ll never go to a party and drink alcohol or wear sexy clothing, because she's a good girl and wouldn't put herself out there to get raped like that, like those hussies in Waco who got themselves raped.

Edited by 'stache

I have a hard time seeing TCU as a step up from Arkansas. I’m wondering whether Arkansas was interested in parting ways with him. They certainly could have countered and maybe kept him, unless Briles wanted back to Texas. . 

Besides being a Briles, Arkansas fans have never liked the hire and only tolerated it as Pittman brought them back from the abyss. Briles has little game awareness, loves the horizontal shit, inserts obvious trick plays at the wrong time. He doesn’t really do a game plan and kills tempo by overthink next plays with his finger tape. Cannot develop a qb to save his life; Jefferson regressed this year.

Dykes will be a victim of his own “success”.

That success comes in three parts

1. He caught the top of the Fat Pat Big 12 upswing. By that what I mean is that TCU has never and will never recruit the talent that comes with “simply reload” but Fat Pat was a pretty good developer of talent and schemer. So once they joined the Big 12 TCU under Fat Pat would always have 1-3 middling years followed by the year it “all comes together” where the program would stand out.
2. And this is credit to Dykes. He did augment the Fat Pat upswing with some shrewd transfers and the hiring of an obviously good OC who has now bailed to greener pastures.
3. Horseshoe up the ass and won some games that even Fat Pat upswing years lost.

That all happens in a “magical” year 1. Expectations are raised. The few middling years that were always ok under Fat Pat “because we know he’s cooking up something” won’t be tolerable and ultimately I don’t think he is as good a coach as Fat Pat.

Put that all together and yea 4 years or less before it all comes crumbling down.

• Hook 'Em 1