Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

The low key story from TCU’s spring is that they moved to a veer and shoot style vertical passing attack. Baldwin is their new best option to execute that IF he can sync up with Reagor in time battling 5 dudes for snaps.

1) So what's different about a veer and shoot style vertical passing attack compared to what TCU previously ran in 2018??

2) In a veer type offense the QB typically runs a lot right -- I thought Baldwin was supposed to be more of a Pro-Style QB??

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The low key story from TCU’s spring is that they moved to a veer and shoot style vertical passing attack. Baldwin is their new best option to execute that IF he can sync up with Reagor in time battling 5 dudes for snaps.

1) So what's different about a veer and shoot style vertical passing attack compared to what TCU previously ran in 2018??

2) In a veer type offense the QB typically runs a lot right -- I thought Baldwin was supposed to be more of a Pro-Style QB??

A Veer & Shoot is what Briles ran and what UT ran under Sterlin Gilbert.  TCU has been running more of a Holgerson type modified Air Raid similar to what OSU and WVU ran.  If this is true, maybe we're changing so that we will be running something different than what everyone else is running.  Makes it harder for the defenses to prepare.  Maybe . . . I'm just spitballing because this is the first I've heard of it.  Of course if the 247 guys had leaked something like this GP would have their heads.  He's super paranoid.  

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

1. TCU has been running an Air Raid passing attack for the past 5 seasons.

UT ran the Veer & Shoot in 2016, so you should already be familiar with it. If you're not sure what an Air Raid passing game looks like, here's a good 2012 article from Smart Football blog that breaks down the different Air Raid passing concepts and explains the evolution of the Air Raid from Hal Mumme at UK to Mike Leach at TTU to Holgerson at WVU: http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-air-raid-offense-history-evolution-weirdness-from-mumme-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond#sthash.4l7nsXLB.dpbs

Also here's a good video that SBNation.com's Brett Kollmann put out last month:

2. Just because the recruiting sites list a QB as "Pro-Style" doesn't mean he isn't mobile enough to be involved in the QB run game. 

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

55 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

A Veer & Shoot is what Briles ran and what UT ran under Sterlin Gilbert.  TCU has been running more of a Holgerson type modified Air Raid similar to what OSU and WVU ran.  If this is true, maybe we're changing so that we will be running something different than what everyone else is running.  Makes it harder for the defenses to prepare.  Maybe . . . I'm just spitballing because this is the first I've heard of it.  Of course if the 247 guys had leaked something like this GP would have their heads.  He's super paranoid.  

Seems odd with Sonny Cumbie's background to completely switch from the Air Raid offense to a Briles veer and shoot type of offense.  Maybe the 9.95ers got it a little wrong..... maybe Cumbie has just tweaked the TCU Air Raid to add more plays to their running game??

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Seems odd with Sonny Cumbie's background to completely switch from the Air Raid offense to a Briles veer and shoot type of offense.  Maybe the 9.95ers got it a little wrong..... maybe Cumbie has just tweaked the TCU Air Raid to add more plays to their running game??

We ran the ball a lot more after Cumbie replaced Meachem as the play caller and Meach got pissed and left for KU.  The Arkansas and OSU games in 2017 were where Cumbie began morphing the Air Raid into a power spread at times and we won with a dominating run game.  Running the ball more took the pressure off Kenny Hill because he didn't handle the pressure well in '16.  Last year, we still ran the ball more than we threw it but didn't have much success until late in the season.  Once we got down to Muehlstein at QB, we actually got good at running the ball.  We ran for 243 and 267 against OSU and Cal without a legit passing threat.  Maybe that prompted Cumbie to decide to tweak the offense to open up the running game even more.  The Veer & Shoot is designed to use the long ball threat to keep the safeties back on their heels and open up the running game.  We have the speed at WR and two good RB's.  The O-line will be a lot more experienced that last year too.  QB is a huge question mark though. 

29 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

We ran the ball a lot more after Cumbie replaced Meachem as the play caller and Meach got pissed and left for KU.  The Arkansas and OSU games in 2017 were where Cumbie began morphing the Air Raid into a power spread at times and we won with a dominating run game.  Running the ball more took the pressure off Kenny Hill because he didn't handle the pressure well in '16.  Last year, we still ran the ball more than we threw it but didn't have much success until late in the season.  Once we got down to Muehlstein at QB, we actually got good at running the ball.  We ran for 243 and 267 against OSU and Cal without a legit passing threat.  Maybe that prompted Cumbie to decide to tweak the offense to open up the running game even more.  The Veer & Shoot is designed to use the long ball threat to keep the safeties back on their heels and open up the running game.  We have the speed at WR and two good RB's.  The O-line will be a lot more experienced that last year too.  QB is a huge question mark though. 

We looked decent on offense when we switched to the V&S, but when it wasn't clicking it was just a good way to quickly keep our defense on the field all game until they ran out of gas. The K-State game was nightmarish for that.

14 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

After reading that Smart Football blog post a few months ago, I came to the conclusion being an Air Raid offense just comes down to whether you run an Air Raid passing game or not. What a team does in running game doesn't really matter. All of the Air Raid teams in the Big 12 & throughout CFB do different things in the run game from each other.

• Fuck You 1

On 5/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, texifornia said:

Boy does this guy not watch much Big XII ball:

Delton: Boiled ass

Rogers: Jello ankle

Duggan: Freshman

Collins: meh

If Baldwin's above average, he's probably starting

Baldwin didn't transfer to TCU because Cumbie and Patterson told him that they felt great about their QBs moving forward. Baldwin believes that if he works hard and gets the waiver, he will be the starter in the Fall. Baldwin's family hired the same attorney that represented Tate Martell. He feels very good about Baldwin getting the waiver, especially since Ohio State is not opposing it. 

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

We looked decent on offense when we switched to the V&S, but when it wasn't clicking it was just a good way to quickly keep our defense on the field all game until they ran out of gas. The K-State game was nightmarish for that.

Didn't Foreman run for over 2,000 yds that season with a true freshman at QB?  My recollection is that you had a young O-line and WR group too.

3 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

Didn't Foreman run for over 2,000 yds that season with a true freshman at QB?  My recollection is that you had a young O-line and WR group too.

Yeah, D'Onta won the Doak Walker. And we still went 5-7, the offense would often just generate a billion 20-second 3-and-outs, and we lost to Kansas. It was a weird year.

Edited by texifornia

7 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

That's a for-real felony?

If it has some amount of THC in it, CBD is still illegal and possession of THC in a condensed form like an oil is a felony in Texas.  See below for a good explanation.  

With the number of outlets springing up marketing cannabidiol (CBD) oil, you might think that the substance is legal in Texas.

And you’d be wrong.

For all but a small number of Texans, possessing CBD oil can get you arrested, jailed and fined, according to local attorneys.

Non-prescribed CBD oil is illegal in the state, according to the Tarrant County district attorney’s office.

“I’ve been looking at the news every day on the edge of my seat wondering if one of these police departments is going to raid one of these shops,” said Luke Williams, a criminal defense attorney for Barnett, Howard and Williams. “The only thing we can say is CBD oil is not legal in Texas and you do what you want with it at your own risk.”

In Texas, if you possess CBD oil with any trace of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), you could be charged with a felony for possession of a controlled substance which, depending on the weight in grams, can carry a range of punishment from 180 days in a state jail facility up to 20 years in prison.

“Several of our clients have been arrested for possessing CBD oil after officers performed a field test and discovered that it tested positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana,” Williams said.

Possessing CBD oil is legal for a small number of Texans with intractable epilepsy who are prescribed medical marijuana under the state’s Compassionate Use Act passed by legislators in 2015. People purchasing or selling CBD oil for any other purpose are breaking state law, Williams said.

“You start with a felony with THC and it only gets worse as the substance is weighed,” Williams said. “Our research has indicated that THC is a lot like coffee with caffeine in it. Even when you order it caffeine-free there is still a trace amount of caffeine in it.”

Because the federal and state laws are so confusing and changing so rapidly concerning marijuana and marijuana products, law enforcement officials may be waiting for people to better understand what the rules are, he said.

There is a certain amount of misinformation out there, said David Sloan, attorney and spokesman for DFWNORML, an advocacy group promoting marijuana legalization. Some retail operators have removed CBD oil products from their shelves after the legal questions came up, Sloan said.

“Until the feds clean this up we are going to have these disparities in enforcement and treatment,” Sloan said. “These can go from anywhere from completely legal to a felony.”

Typically, people who are first-time offenders and have given no indication that they intended to sell a controlled substance do not go to jail, said Sloan, who added that 90 percent of his practice is marijuana related.

“Tarrant County will prosecute THC and this is happening in a lot of other Texas counties,” he said. “The overwhelming number of people I defend are good people who have never had a problem with the law. A good portion of the people I defend are caught with products they have taken from Colorado which were lawfully purchased and taxed.”

In Colorado, medical and recreational marijuana use is legal.

Tarrant County has not and does not expect to spend significant resources on cases involving CBD oil, according to Sharen Wilson, Tarrant County district attorney.

But Wilson also said that passage of the 2018 Farm Bill in the U.S. Congress which made hemp products that contain less than .03 percent concentration of THC legal under federal law, did not make those products legal in Texas.

“The Texas Legislature additionally is considering bills this session to legalize industrial hemp production and related products in our state,” Wilson said. “The Criminal District Attorney does not have the authority to change the law. We encourage those with strong opinions about CBD oil to contact Commissioner (of Health John) Hellerstedt’s office or your local legislators to inform them of your views. “

Attorneys said the situation will likely become more confusing before it’s settled.

“Every time I start winning the arguments based on facts they pull out the ‘Its the law’ excuse,” Sloan said. “The law, in this regard, is absurd. The absurdity will continue until our lawmakers are intellectually honest.”

Two bills filed during the current legislative session by State Rep. Terry Canales, D-Edinburg, address some of the legal questions surrounding marijuana extracts, according to the Texas Legislature Online website. Canales filed HB 186, which deals with the weight of the illegal marijuana extract, and the other, HB 551, could change the current penalty structure, if adopted.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article225554495.html

5 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

If it has some amount of THC in it, CBD is still illegal and possession of THC in a condensed form like an oil is a felony in Texas.  See below for a good explanation.  

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article225554495.html

I've never liked weed at all and still think that's fucking stupid.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

Nahlin went for the TCU side of that joke

Funny that the article says he hurt his shoulder against Iowa St. I’m pretty sure he hurt it against us toward the end of the 4th quarter. I remember someone laying him out. He was holding his shoulder on the sideline afterwards and he never came back in.

22 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well, if his life is ruined, I would argue it's because he chose to break the law.  

Some states consider fellatio “against the law.” Some laws were made to be broken, Dudley Do-Right. 

3 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Some states consider fellatio “against the law.” Some laws were made to be broken, Dudley Do-Right. 

And the moment those states start prosecuting and jailing for breaking that law, you start taking responsibility for breaking it.

But, you know, thanks for the false equivalency.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well, if his life is ruined, I would argue it's because he chose to break the law.  

It's a fucking stupid law and people should not be hit with a felony for having CBD/THC oil in their possession. It's extremely regarded when you consider that this wouldn't even be an issue for a lot of players in the Pac-12.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

It's a fucking stupid law and people should not be hit with a felony for having CBD/THC oil in their possession. It's extremely regarded when you consider that this wouldn't even be an issue for a lot of players in the Pac-12.

I'm not arguing the law one way or another.  But I will argue that it's fucking stupid to break the law when you know it exists and that it is prosecuted.  Any ruining of his life, as a result, is on him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Potheads should go to California then.

He didn't have some CBD oil infused muscle relaxing lotion, he probably had wax or "dabs" and the water pipe for smoking it. It's not just the plant, it's classified differently, a concentrate. If it was only CBD oil with trace THC he would be getting a misdemeanor. 

https://www.sergiosanchezlaw.com/blog/2017/11/trendy-marijuana-dabs-are-a-felony-in-texas.shtml

https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/marijuana-laws-in-texas/

Possession of up to two ounces of natural-state marijuana is a misdemeanor in Texas. That shouldn't lull you into thinking that you'll get a slap on the wrist if you get caught with any form of marijuana concentrates. In fact, possession of any amount of BHO or even pressed hashish is a felony offense in Texas.

Even first time offenders could face harsh penalties

If law enforcement officers catch you with so much as a tiny scrap of residue of marijuana concentrates, they can charge you with a felony. Any amount, up to a gram, carries a penalty of between 180 days and two years in jail, as well as a fine of up to $10,000.

If you get caught while in possession of between one and four grams of a marijuana concentrate, the penalties increase to between two and ten years in jail, along with that $10,000 fine. For those with between four and 400 grams, the maximum jail time increases to 20 years.

Cannabidiol oil (CBD Oil) is made from cannabis, but is non-psychoactive. CBD oil that is made from industrial hemp is currently legal in Texas. Recently, shops selling CBD oil products have been popping up all over the metroplex, with promises the product can relieve pain and anxiety. The Texas Department of State Health Services has begun to crack down on retailers selling food products made with CBD oil, claiming they have the power to regulate any food product that contains CBD oil.

But not all CBD oil is legal. If there is any trace of THC in the CBD oil, the user could face prosecution for misdemeanor Possession of a Controlled Substance (Not in a Penalty Group).

Possessing THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) oil in Texas is considered a more serious crime than simply possessing marijuana. Over the last few years, vaping THC oil, which is a concentrated version of the mind-altering component of marijuana, has become popular. Under Texas law, THC oil or wax is considered a concentrate and possessing it is a felony criminal offense.

• Less than 1 Gram– State Jail Felony
  • 1 Gram to 4 Grams– Third Degree Felony
  • 4 to 400 Grams– Second Degree Felony
  • 400 grams or more – First Degree Felony

The law considers THC oil and wax to be in a different penalty group that marijuana, due to the higher level of THC, and consequences are much harsher. So while a typical small amount of marijuana could be punishable as a misdemeanor, even a very small amount of THC oil can be punishable as a felony. This is a common misconception that we often see in our THC oil cases. The user believes that a low amount is a misdemeanor, much like a low amount of marijuana. Not so. Every THC oil case is a felony.

Just because you disagree with a law doesn't mean it shouldn't be enforced. 

Go battle it out with the prison and tobacco/alcohol lobby in Texas and get the laws changed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well our state is royally fucked because we are wasting hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars to put away a potentially productive member of society for doing something the majority of people do not think is harmful. And that is just on this one guy. But hey maybe you like wasting millions of dollars that way? Why don't you donate all your money to the state government so the rest of us could potentially get a tax break since you so passionately support this nonsense?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Just because you disagree with a law doesn't mean it shouldn't be enforced. 

Go battle it out with the prison and tobacco/alcohol lobby in Texas and get the laws changed. 

I disagree with the law and therefore the law is terrible and should be changed. That is all anybody is saying.

Actually I would like everybody who has ever looked at, touched, or smelled pot or anything that has THC in it to be thrown in jail immediately. Maybe then we can stop hypocritically and idiotically keeping these destructive and wasteful laws in place.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I disagree with the law and therefore the law is terrible and should be changed. That is all anybody is saying.

Actually I would like everybody who has ever looked at, touched, or smelled pot or anything that has THC in it to be thrown in jail immediately. Maybe then we can stop hypocritically and idiotically keeping these destructive and wasteful laws in place.

Like I said, go to battle with the prison, alcohol, and tobacco lobby in Texas. Probably big pharma lobby too. I wish you luck. Until then, when dumb fucks get caught with dabs, it's illegal here. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well our state is royally fucked because we are wasting hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars to put away a potentially productive member of society for doing something the majority of people do not think is harmful. And that is just on this one guy. But hey maybe you like wasting millions of dollars that way? Why don't you donate all your money to the state government so the rest of us could potentially get a tax break since you so passionately support this nonsense?

Please, please show me where I said I support prosecuting offenders of this law.  Your reading comprehension is tragically lacking.

And, again, I can argue that it is dumbasses like this who are the ones costing the state this money by breaking the law that is on the books and being prosecuted.

21 hours ago, Lhorn said:

He was mistreated by the Texas secondary so I guess there’s that. 

Reagor was wide open for a sure touchdown that would've given TCU a 20-10 lead and Robinson threw the ball 10 yards short of Reagor and hit Brandon Jones directly in the chest.  I don't know if the Horn's secondary mistreated him as much as he just served the ball up on a platter for them.  Anyway, Robinson had 7 interceptions and probably 3-4 fumbles in his last 4 full games.  If we don't roll out someone who plays much better than that this season, I'll be shocked.  

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Uh... that's a terrible take.

The former HS recruit from San Diego, California out front should have told you.

920x920.jpg

My mistake, did he get busted with weed while playing for Texas?

He only started smoking after injury while playing for the Saints. It may have saved his life, as the bullshit painkillers they were giving him were turning him into a zombie addict. 

https://www.si.com/longform/2016/ricky-williams-weed/index.html

Either way, if a player wants to do recreational drugs, either do it where it's legal, or don't get caught like a dumbass. 

26 minutes ago, Zavala said:

He only started smoking after injury while playing for the Saints. It may have saved his life, as the bullshit painkillers they were giving him were turning him into a zombie addict. 

Either way, if a player wants to do recreational drugs, either do it where it's legal, or don't get caught like a dumbass. 

Sheeeeeit.  That ain't when he started.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Zavala said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Ricky did not start smoking pot in the NFL.

You said potheads should play in California. Yes, that is a terrible take. Especially when you consider how many talented athletes smoke pot. Even if it's illegal, I'd prefer it if people just looked the other way. Getting rid of talent because of pot is just dumb. That should have been obvious after Charlie's purges.

5 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Reagor was wide open for a sure touchdown that would've given TCU a 20-10 lead and Robinson threw the ball 10 yards short of Reagor and hit Brandon Jones directly in the chest.  I don't know if the Horn's secondary mistreated him as much as he just served the ball up on a platter for them.  Anyway, Robinson had 7 interceptions and probably 3-4 fumbles in his last 4 full games.  If we don't roll out someone who plays much better than that this season, I'll be shocked.  

Well wait til you see Alex Delton in action and get back to us.

14 hours ago, F250 said:

Ricky did not start smoking pot in the NFL.

You said potheads should play in California. Yes, that is a terrible take. Especially when you consider how many talented athletes smoke pot. Even if it's illegal, I'd prefer it if people just looked the other way. Getting rid of talent because of pot is just dumb. That should have been obvious after Charlie's purges.

Well that is what he said so if you think he's lying or "can't remember" okie dokie.

I don't think people should look the other way for habitual pot smoker athletes. Sure every once in a while recreational use is fine, but for many it turns into a habit, and it does effect your mind negatively when it's used daily. It fucks with your REM sleep. Also if you are showing up to work outs or practice stoned or permafried from the night before, I don't think that is a good thing.

Also for this kid, he's doing dabs. That shit is quite a bit more serious than just smoking hydroponics.