USMNT 2021

Napoleon

Due to a ridiculously early start (1 p.m. Eastern), we're little more than a day out from the Jamaica match. Who starts? I'm guessing that, for once, Gergg doesn't overthink it and rolls out the same formation and lineup from Mexico except for the players he has to change (yellow/red accumulation).

So who takes over for Miles--Roberts or McKenzie? Roberts. He was Gergg's third option during the October cycle. No reason to think he's not still.

And who replaces McKennie--Acosta, Lletget or Busio?

This one's more difficult to predict. Past history suggests Acosta if Gergg wants a double 6 midfield, or Lletget if he favors more offense. Busio would offer the best of both, but he struggled with CONCACAF physicality during the summer. Even so, he's demonstrated growth and is in good form, so I wouldn't be surprised if Gergg goes with the youngster.

In other words, my gut says Lletget, my heart says Busio, and my traumatized brain fears it's Acosta.

On that note, I really, really, really hope Gergg has an aggressive mindset. When the team takes the pitch tomorrow, it should be with the intention of going home with three points. That said, they'll need to be disciplined in the back and cover for each other because Jamaica can and will punish on the counter.

As for subs, Pulisic should again come on for a winger, probably Son of A-Aron, but a little sooner this time, say around the 60th minute.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Due to a ridiculously early start (1 p.m. Eastern), we're little more than a day out from the Jamaica match. Who starts? I'm guessing that, for once, Gergg doesn't overthink it and rolls out the same formation and lineup from Mexico except for the players he has to change (yellow/red accumulation).

So who takes over for Miles--Roberts or McKenzie? Roberts. He was Gergg's third option during the October cycle. No reason to think he's not still.

This one's more difficult to predict. Past history suggests Acosta if Gergg wants a double 6 midfield, or Lletget if he favors more offense. Busio would offer the best of both, but he struggled with CONCACAF physicality during the summer. Even so, he's demonstrated growth and is in good form, so I wouldn't be surprised if Gergg goes with the youngster.

In other words, my gut says Lletget, my heart says Busio, and my traumatized brain fears it's Acosta.

On that note, I really, really, really hope Gergg has an aggressive mindset. When the team takes the pitch tomorrow, it should be with the intention of going home with three points. That said, they'll need to be disciplined in the back and cover for each other because Jamaica can and will punish on the counter.

As for subs, Pulisic should again come on for a winger, probably Son of A-Aron, but a little sooner this time, say around the 60th minute.

The game is 5 PM EST, not 1 PM. But it's still pretty early.

I think you mean Richards for the pick of Miles's replacement. He was probably #3 of the guys in camp. I think him and Zimmerman go tomorrow night.

I hope that Busio gets a shot in the middle this go around. If Gregg picks him, then I think we roll pretty handily. On the other hand if Led's younger brother Gergg shows up and picks Lletget, then I worry.

I agree, at this point, we should play the press game we went with in the first half (and Busio plays). I think that stifles Jamaica and we win this easily. If he doesn't, it's gonna be a long game.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I think you (or maybe it was someone else) keep referring to this Roberts person. Unless this is a Surlyism that has gone over my head, are you referring to Richards? If so, definitely agree, the start should and likely will go to Richards. McKenzie has always looked shaky in a USMNT jersey. 

I think the point you make later on is the reason Busio starts. We need to come out aggressive, put up a goal, and take the wind out of their sails. They will be bunkering, they will get counter opportunities, and they will continue to grow in confidence if we don't get a goal quick.

Besides, I think Busio does an excellent job of tracking back, probably a bit underrated in that respect. Lletget just passes back so all he can do is track back.

Agree, leave the attack alone, keep the subs the same - Aaronson - Pepi - Weah with Pulisic/Jesus subs.

Edited by dieucla98
  • Like 1

JAMES SANDS ADDED TO U.S. MEN’S NATIONAL TEAM WORLD CUP QUALIFYING ROSTER FOR MATCH AGAINST JAMAICA ON NOV. 16 IN KINGSTON

CHICAGO (Nov. 14, 2021) – U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Gregg Berhalter has added James Sands to the roster for the World Cup Qualifier against Jamaica on Nov. 16 in Kingston (5 p.m. ET; Paramount+, Universo). Fans will also be able to follow via Twitter @USMNT, Instagram @USMNT, Facebook, and the official U.S. Soccer App.

Weston McKennie (yellow card accumulation) and Miles Robinson (red card) are suspended for one match following the USA’s 2-0 win against Mexico in Cincinnati. Both have departed camp.

Sands, 21, has made seven appearances for the USMNT, all in 2021. After making his debut against Haiti in the USA’s opening match of the 2021 Gold Cup, he appeared in all six matches as the United States were crowned tournament champions. Sands started in the 4-1 win away to Honduras in World Cup Qualifying on Sept. 8 in San Pedro Sula.

Following Friday’s 2-0 win against Mexico in Cincinnati, the USMNT heads to Jamaica on top of the Octagonal standings. The teams met Oct. 7 in Austin, Texas, where eighteen-year-old forward Ricardo Pepi scored twice to spark the USMNT to a 2-0 shutout win in front of a sellout crowd of 20,500 at Q2 Stadium.

DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB/COUNTRY; CAPS/GOALS):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 25/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 12/0)

DEFENDERS (9): Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 22/1), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 8/0), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim/GER; 5/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 18/1), James Sands (New York City FC; 7/0), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), Sam Vines (Royal Antwerp/BEL; 8/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 70/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 21/2)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 43/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 21/1), Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; 7/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 33/8), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 10/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 29/0)

FORWARDS (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 14/5), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 41/8), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 3/2), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 5/3), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 41/17), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 17/1)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/11/sands-added-to-usmnt-roster-for-world-cup-qualifier-against-jamaica

I really hope we see Busio.  If for no other reason, it would be nice to have someone on the field that can strike a dead ball.  Aaronson's corners against Mexico were not great.   

It would also present the option of subbing in Pulisic for Musah if we need a different look/formation.  We could play a 4-2-3-1 with Busio and Adams forming the dual pivot and Aaronson playing as a 10, like he does for his club.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think it's been mentioned a couple times on this thread but it's worth repeating - this team would so perfectly fit a 4-2-3-1 formation. 

We have 4 players who can play the double pivot, depending on how aggressive you want to play. Adams, Busio, Musah, McKennie. 

We have, at least, 2 players who can play the 10 - Reyna, Aaronson, and Ferreira.

Pulisic, Weah on the wings. Pepi up top.

WC Champs '22.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

The game is 5 PM EST, not 1 PM. But it's still pretty early.

I think you mean Richards for the pick of Miles's replacement. He was probably #3 of the guys in camp. I think him and Zimmerman go tomorrow night.

8 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I think you (or maybe it was someone else) keep referring to this Roberts person. Unless this is a Surlyism that has gone over my head, are you referring to Richards?

Yes, I meant Richards. Thanks to both for correcting--Chris deserves to be identified by his actual name.

Same for the time mistake. My excuses are, it was early and I hadn't much sleep. Maybe the heavy drug use. Or I was hacked!

Zack Steffen will start again in goal over Matt Turner.
"It is up in the air" whether Christian Pulisic will start.
Miles Robinson's replacement? Mark McKenzie or Chris Richards.
Kellyn Acosta, Gianluca Busio or Sebastian Lletget will replace Weston McKennie.
Newcomer Joe Scally will dress but won't start.

Stat: With a 16-2-2 record in 2021, USMNT is assured of finishing with its best winning record in a year (5+ games), regardless of the outcome of the matches against Jamaica and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Claudio Reyna did an interview with the Athletic, he gave an update on Gio's rehab

I saw that your son Giovanni was rehabbing in Austin. How has that been?

It’s been good to have him here. With a little bit of a longer recovery, clubs let players also get a mental break and continue their rehab somewhere else. So it was great to have him here. He came out to a couple of our games. It was great just for the family to spend time with him since, as you know, we’re away quite a bit. It’s warm weather and some good treatment, which obviously is the priority. He’s progressing well.

Do you have a sort of timetable of when he’ll continue his rehab at Dortmund?

He’s back there now, but he’s a couple of weeks away (from playing). It’s been longer than first expected, so he’s being as patient as he can. Of course, he wants to be back as soon as possible, but he’s 18. He’s got many, many games and years ahead, so it’s better to make sure he’s right. That’s really the focus: that when he comes back, he’s good for the long term.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Stat: With a 16-2-2 record in 2021, USMNT is assured of finishing with its best winning record in a year (5+ games), regardless of the outcome of the matches against Jamaica and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

This is really fucking amazing, because I swear the sky has been falling many times this year watching these games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

just want to point out that-17°C is…

1.4° F

That’s cold, and I lived through February’s freeze in Dallas. (Though we didn’t lose power.)

The ones on the field will be the lucky ones. 

The substitutes that dress for the game are the fucked ones. If I were Team México, everyone would be in the locker room until they were needed. There is zero reason for the suplantes to be watching from the sideline. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

USMNT plays in Canada on January 30 when it could be really cold.  

This evening will be a real test of whether Gregggg has learned anything in terms of playing the best players instead of "experience" (i.e., his favorites).  If Lllllllg, Arriola and McKenzie start, we will know the answer to that question.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

1.4° F

That’s cold, and I lived through February’s freeze in Dallas. (Though we didn’t lose power.)

The substitutes that dress for the game are the fucked ones. If I were Team México, everyone would be in the locker room until they were needed. There is zero reason for the suplantes to be watching from the sideline. 

First of 4 WC Dos a Ceros I attended in Columbus was pretty damn cold, but not like that.  I wanna say it was in the teens and windy.  The pocket warmers didn't help.  My poor wife (girlfriend at the time), spent most of the game in the bathroom under a heater.  Lots of pain back in the car as my body unfroze.

You're right about the subs.  In Knoxville, I used to play Sat morning games regardless of the weather.  Played a few in the teens with a layer of snow or ice on the field.  As long as you're moving and wear gloves, it's actually not that bad.  I preferred it over the 100+ days.  

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

1.4° F

Can you imagine how painful it's going to be the first time you get some studs to to the foot? I'd make sure they sub me out at that point - F that.

But also, fuck Mexico. Have fun!

49 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

First of 4 WC Dos a Ceros I attended in Columbus was pretty damn cold, but not like that.  I wanna say it was in the teens and windy.  The pocket warmers didn't help.  My poor wife (girlfriend at the time), spent most of the game in the bathroom under a heater.  Lots of pain back in the car as my body unfroze.

You're right about the subs.  In Knoxville, I used to play Sat morning games regardless of the weather.  Played a few in the teens with a layer of snow or ice on the field.  As long as you're moving and wear gloves, it's actually not that bad.  I preferred it over the 100+ days.  

Assume you are talking about the original 2-0 in Columbus 28 feb 01, it was 24 F and not much wind but the tri media were wailing about it

the first half was butt cold but when wolff scored right after the half the temp went up 20 degrees

every core supporter from the original mls teams was in the north end that wednesday night that lives in infamy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

1.4° F

4 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

I'd be running from a header at that temp.  It will be like headbutting a brick.

Yep, was playing in a game when I was about 15 where a teammate boxer gashed his eyebrow on a header from a corner kick it was so cold.   Bled like a stabbed drunk