USMNT 2021

Napoleon

Cool for Gio. CP finished 2nd in 2018 - couldn't find the top 10 for 2019. Wasn't awarded last year. 

2021 Kopa Trophy final results (Best U21 player)

Rank Name Position Club National Team
1. Pedri MF FC Barcelona Spain
2. Jude Bellingham MF Borussia Dortmund England
3. Jamal Musiala MF Bayern Munich Germany
4. Nuno Mendes DF PSG Portugal
5. Mason Greenwood FW Manchester United England
6. Bukayo Saka FW Arsenal England
7. Florian Wirtz MF Bayer Leverkusen Germany
8. Ryan Gravenberch MF Ajax Netherlands
9. Jeremy Doku FW Rennes Belgium
10. Giovanni Reyna MF Borussia Dortmund USA
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Not sure if you are serious, but he is a dual nat (mexico) and one of the best LB prospects, he will be in Europe shortly.  

Hah. I thought his name was familiar. Just funny seeing Orange County SC on the club list. 

Whatever his potential he probably shouldn't be playing senior games for us. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

He could be playing in MLS right now at 18.  There was something weird with his contract at FC Dallas, he went to USL so he could go to Europe sooner, I can’t recall all the details. 

Looks like he was with Miami's academy? We definitely need some answers in the back going forward so I'm guessing they wanted to get a look at as many of those guys as they could this window. 

We're probably going to see some bizarre rosters like this with the amount of guys we have now that can't play in December. Although Mourinho doesn't seem interested in keeping Reynolds around.

There are actually two USL players Kobi Henry and Jonathan Gomez (and it sounds like the two of you are each talking about one of them).

To me, this feels like a perfect roster for this kind of game/camp if there was just one or two more promising young midfielders in the group.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, goatsaag said:

There are actually two USL players Kobi Henry and Jonathan Gomez (and it sounds like the two of you are each talking about one of them).

To me, this feels like a perfect roster for this kind of game/camp if there was just one or two more promising young midfielders in the group.

Yes I was talking about Henry. I didn't think Henry was close to playing in Europe but didn't want to correct Ted as he follows our yutes more closely.

I guess Gomez hasn't played for Real Sociedad yet. 

Agreed on midfield. We need to move on from Yueill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Exactly. It's a friendly without an official international window. Time to give a second chance to some retreads and cap some n00bs.

And I will go on record now and say that the actual result should be of no importance ... provided Bosnia-Herzegovina doesn't win by a 10-goal margin.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I would probably let it go if it wasn’t that bad, but Sargent with a terrible miss today against Spurs. Wide open right in front of the net and just never got his foot on it. It rolled through him and then off his plant foot. So bad. 

Someday he may turn it around, but until he does, I don’t even want him on the group texts with the other USMNT guys, much less called into a camp. 

He shouldn’t even be allowed to shine Wondo’s or Lletget’s boots. 

35 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Someday he may turn it around, but until he does, I don’t even want him on the group texts with the other USMNT guys, much less called into a camp. 

He shouldn’t even be allowed to shine Wondo’s or Lletget’s boots. 

I would hate to think of the amount of shoe polish that would be on the floor because it missed the shoes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think they take into consideration club and country. So Pulisic seems like an auto get for the CL. 

But I agree if we're just looking at NT matches. 

Missing a shot as a sub in the CL final?

I would hope that Christian doesn’t win the award. 

Give it to someone who stays healthy and plays. 

It runs through 2026.

I will admit, I ran with an over the top headline and then put in there an even more over the top comments which backed it up. As a whole his statement as a whole (there is a lot more) is about how if he goes to a team where he doesn't play, he will risk his spot on the USMNT. However, with that headline, I couldn't help but post that.

And still fuck FC Dallas.

Edited by Captain Ron

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

if he goes to a team where he doesn't play, he will risk his spot on the USMNT.

That doesn't make any sense though. He's either our best 9 or he isn't. He is better served training and taking some lumps in Europe and watching from the bench for a bit than staying in Dallas. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

A. You already know this, but you're preaching to the choir here. I'm with you.

B. You think MLS execs know jack shit about soccer?

Well you seemed to backtrack your criticism a bit so I just wanted to reinforce how lazy that comment is from Dallas. 

Also - it isn't Dallas' job to protect his interests with the NT and they know that. They are just selfish and don't want him to leave because their squad is a disaster and Pepi (also Ferreira) is the only thing keeping it afloat. 

Not really backing off, but noting it isn't as caustic as they headline states. I think Wahl nailes it here that the papers are in cahoots with the teams/ownership.

But that said, you aren't wrong about FC Dallas's role. I agree 100% with you there plus add that they don't have his interests in mind either. In the end, this article is 100% them selling their stance that they want Pepi to stay. And frankly their handling of him has been pretty poor.

26 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Hunt is so cheap, why wouldn't he want to sell?   They sell everyone else at 1/5th the price, what is different now?

Negotiating tactics are not limited to European owners. 

Every trade window that Pepi is not sold, his value goes down.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Negotiating tactics are not limited to European owners. 

Every trade window that Pepi is not sold, his value goes down.

Maybe in a year or two, but for as young as Pepi is, he is going to have some value for European teams. His value isn't going to sky rocket, but he will increase some for a year, more if he continues to develop (yeah I said that with a straight face).