USMNT 2021

Napoleon

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah.  Well as a Texas alum and Cowboy fan, I'm quick to jump on low expectations. 

LoL fair.

Isn't that what it's about, though? Every Texas football fan is jacked right now cuz our Longhorns looked surprisingly good yesterday in all phases of the game. Our expectations before Louisiana were low.

After a strong summer, USMNT fans were apparently of the mind that we'd steamroll most of CONCACAF on our way to Qatar. Maybe that still happens, but shit, sphincters are getting tight because we're sitting on two points with only one goal scored.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My thoughts as well.  I'm getting slammed for being negative, but I've watched or attended every US game since '94.  (I still recall the crappy, non-HD feeds I got via ppv in the 90's.)  I've seen the warning signs before.  With this talent, I'd prefer to not sweat out the last 2 games or so.  

Jesus.  I sound like Derka on the basketball board.  Apologies @shadow_operative.

I can't say nearly the same credentials, but you can see this team is not coached very well.

Taking what I said and running with it:

We finish this break with 3 points.

I've predicted 3 losses already against Costa Rica (1) and Mexico (2). I will give them the other game against CR as a win, so now we have 6 points and these games left to decide:

at Honduras

vs Jamaica

at Panama

at Jamaica

vs El Salvador

at Canada

vs Honduras

vs Panama

We have points there, but I don't see much margin for error in that.

And when you're staring down the schedule that last qualifier phase is looking really REALLY bad now:

at Mexico

vs Panama

At Costa Rica

If we need more than 3 points going into that, we're cooked.

• Hook 'Em 1

Look.... as shitty as this is we are effectively knotted for 3rd right now. We have an opportunity to set this straight by beating Honduras and putting in a decent opening 3 games. 

Berhalter sucks. We all know it. But that isn't enough for me to throw this qualification out the window. We were down 2 of our best 4 players today and lost another one halfway through the game. 

I would also LIKE to think that this team gets better with more reps together - but that remains to be seen. 

I'm sweating 2022 as much as anyone but ultimately I have 2026 circled.

We need to:

1. Get experience playing together. 

2. Get through qualifying and make the WC.

3. Show up and not embarass ourselves in Qatar. 

4. Can this douchebag and find the right guy going forward.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

LoL fair.

Isn't that what it's about, though? Every Texas football fan is jacked right now cuz our Longhorns looked surprisingly good yesterday in all phases of the game. Our expectations before Louisiana were low.

After a strong summer, USMNT fans were apparently of the mind that we'd steamroll most of CONCACAF on our way to Qatar. Maybe that still happens, but shit, sphincters are getting tight because we're sitting on two points with only one goal scored.

As much as I'm tied to US Soccer, my true love is my school -TX.  I'll take sucky US soccer with awesome Longhorn football any day.  

For the record, I would've predicted we'd be sitting on 7 points after the first three matches, with wins coming against ES and Canada. So, yeah, not at all happy and will be super nervous if we don't steal a win at San Pedro Sula on Wednesday.

I gave Gergg a lot of credit for what the US accomplished this summer. Winning Nations with a talented but inexperienced lineup and then taking home the Gold Cup with backups impressed the shit out of me.

But we're seeing the same bad traits reemerge--choosing favorites over better options, putting players in unfamiliar roles, and--the one that most drives me fucking batshit--holding on to subs until they're all but pointless.

So I don't know what to think right now cuz I never thought we'd be in this position.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stringer said:

This is clearly not the issue, but I would like our coach to not look like a divorced dad who brought his kids to the game and hit the merch store on the way in to buy their love.

Not sure Berhalter understands the concept of love. Much less football.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we had 71.6% possession. 

Cool, that and a buck fifty will get you a coke from the machine down the hall.

Possession is an overrated stat. A ton of teams can cede possession and still control a game.

what matters is what you do with the ball when you have it. And I don’t see a coherent strategy from Gergg.

b63a9f34-00cf-4fcf-b2e2-bf6f0975fc06_tex

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Possession is an overrated stat. A ton of teams can cede possession and still control a game.
what matters is what you do with the ball when you have it. And I don’t see a coherent strategy from Gergg.
b63a9f34-00cf-4fcf-b2e2-bf6f0975fc06_text.gif
Yeah that stat just goes to show how little of a plan we had going into the match and then to continue on that same path not just out of the half but even into the last ten minutes was absurd.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

we had 71.6% possession. 

seems great and all but when most of your possession is passing backwards....shit it's like i'm playing cards with my brother's kids or something. 

soccer is about two things:  space and creativity. watching the us is like watching austin fc. they get the space part but cannot find the creativity part

aggravating sons of bitches

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

seems great and all but when most of your possession is passing backwards....shit it's like i'm playing cards with my brother's kids or something. 

soccer is about two things:  space and creativity. watching the us is like watching austin fc. they get the space part but cannot find the creativity part

aggravating sons of bitches

Yep, and it’s doubly maddening when you know this is arguably our most talented group of guys wrt to creativity and skill. There’s an argument to be made that they don’t play enough together and that will impact timing or recognition of runs, but that’s not what we are seeing. These guys have no concept of how to attack a defense as a group.

Pulisic is being bracketed constantly, use that! If a team is going to sit deep, you need to play guys that can win over the top and mids and wings that can put in quality service. Should have gone double striker with Pepi and Pefok. You have to find ways to break tendencies and pull apart a defense. Greg isnt brave enough and is content in saying he put the best 11 on the field so he did his job. We have our golden generation, it is being squandered on an unimaginative coach.

Edited by TXSG8R
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

What about Gregg after we fail to beat Honduras?

We are not likely to beat Honduras.

The expectations for the Nats given the potential sum of the parts is understandable. 

I am not making excuses for Greg.

Just stating how I feel.

@MaxHorn can confirm that before the match I said this was the best team Canada has fielded in 20 years (when they won the Gold Cup) and the last time Canada was this competitive was 1986.  I believed Canada would score.  I texted after our goal that we would need a 2nd.   I am completely not surprised by the result and hoped for but did not think we were ready to see the breakout game for the new generation in qualifying.

We are 2 points ahead of where we were 5 years ago 2 games in.  If we draw in Honduras we will be where we were 5 years ago on 3 points but without a home loss.  This time, we're in an Octet, not a Hex.  There are 14 games, not 10.   There is a lot more runway this time.

The biggest problem we have is no #9.

The Jamaica game in Austin has become the Crisis Fixture regardless of the result in Honduras.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

we had 71.6% possession. 

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

b63a9f34-00cf-4fcf-b2e2-bf6f0975fc06_tex

To take this a step further, it’s pretty telling that with all that possession our lone goal was on a quick counter. A play that took maybe 10 seconds? And that’s being generous.

12 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

12B79878-9282-4E0E-B4E1-B27DFA118258.jpeg

So in the other 63+ minutes we created 1 more “big chance”. Is that bad? That seems bad. 

Hagbard cites our lack of a 9, and that doesn’t help. But our scheme isn’t helping these guys find anything either. Beerholder needs to set them up for better chances, not what he’s doing now. 

10 competitive matches year.  We scored 3 on Mexico in NL, 2 set pieces and a PK.  We crushed Martinique.   Other 8 matches, 1 or zero goals. That is fucking pathetic I don’t care how many chances we did or didn’t have.   

Something has to change, maybe it’s something as easy as the formation, the 433 is not working with the pieces we have. I think I’d switch to 3 in the back with Adams playing deep, then throw out every creative player we have.    Maybe play 2 up top.  We have to try something, what we are doing now is not working 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I can't say nearly the same credentials, but you can see this team is not coached very well.

Taking what I said and running with it:

We finish this break with 3 points.

I've predicted 3 losses already against Costa Rica (1) and Mexico (2). I will give them the other game against CR as a win, so now we have 6 points and these games left to decide:

at Honduras

vs Jamaica

at Panama

at Jamaica

vs El Salvador

at Canada

vs Honduras

vs Panama

We have points there, but I don't see much margin for error in that.

And when you're staring down the schedule that last qualifier phase is looking really REALLY bad now:

at Mexico

vs Panama

At Costa Rica

If we need more than 3 points going into that, we're cooked.

Costa Rica is not good at all. We are not going to lose to them.

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

Costa Rica is not good at all. We are not going to lose to them.

Them being good or not doesn't necessarily preclude us from losing. 

I'm not buying Mexico beats us twice, though. They are 0 for their last 2 against us and featured very good sides in both those matches. 

51 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Jackson Yueill added to the squad. McKennie returning to Italy. Dest has a sprained ankle.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/09/usmnt-roster-news-ahead-of-world-cup-qualifier-against-honduras

Another MLS spare who isn't interested in playing a forward pass. USMNT fans gather and rejoice! FML.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

So no Weston, Dest, or Gio vs Honduras.   Adams has already played 180.  I’m not sure what sort of lineup we will get.   Would’ve been nice to have de la Torre or Green as an option….

Id go with the same back 4 and swap our Yedlin for Dest.  Assuming we rotate out Adams, thus Acosta, Lletget, Aaronson.  Up top, Pulisic, Sargent, Konrad.  

16 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Wonder if Weston broke the bio-bubble and brought in some hoes to party with (Danuel House style)?

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

Yueill fuckin Yueill. Hope the sister was worth it. 

So has anyone said/rumored what McKennie did? On a Juve fan site, they said this:

The midfielder has apparently breached Covid-19 regulations once more by taking a selfie without wearing a mask, and has been sent home by the US national team, and the player himself confirmed the news on Instagram.

But given LD is saying, that seems pretty tame.

We dominate possession only to lose it by dribbling in to a pack of 3 defenders. So much hero-ball (Dest is culprit #1 here I think), trying to make the highlight reel move that results in a clean look at goal only to have it stolen away easily. I'd love to see someone just start whipping in crosses to Pefok/Sargent and Pulisic. Two tall ass dudes and one cross poaching pro.

I think....

Yedlin, Brooks, Robinson, Robinson (hey look, everyone playing their natural position GGG)

Adams (I'm not sure we're sitting on 2 points without him)

Aaronson Acosta

Pulisic, Sargent/Pefok/Pepi, Konrad (Pulisic "out of position" on the R since that's preferable to Konrad on the R)

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

One internet rumor involves McKennie trying to bone a teammate's sister. That might explain the whole losing trust with teammates shtick.

Even is this is true... why the fuck is someone's sister hanging around the team while they are preparing for WCQ? This isn't a family vacation. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Even is this is true... why the fuck is someone's sister hanging around the team while they are preparing for WCQ? This isn't a family vacation. 

Yeah, that's fishy. Not saying that it isn't true, but then I would argue that Gergg is running too loose of a camp.

Might not matter after tomorrow.