USMNT 2021

Napoleon

Just now, UDontKnow said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment. We expected the likes of Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie, Dest, Sargent etc. to carry the team in WCQ. So far that hasn't happened. 

So maybe Ricardo Pepi should stay in MLS for the sake of the USMNT. That's the joke.

Just hard to tell if someone's joking or not sometimes. I assumed you were but wanted to double check. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Funny that Pepi and Dempsey are both from Texas yet grew up 800 miles apart. 

Also Deuce is fucking hilarious. This is a great desk in general - hope they keep it together. 

Hearing the accent come out when he gets worked up is hilarious. 

You can tell Gooch doesn't trust Gregg. 

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Great finish by Aaronson, too. That isn't that easy. 

It looked like one of his Champions League qualifier goals. Calm and collected and nothing but net. 

If Gregg can get Pepi, Pulisic, Gio, and Aaronson on the field at the same time in the right positions, that’s some firepower. 

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Also Deuce is fucking hilarious. This is a great desk in general - hope they keep it together. 

Agree fuck this paramount bullshit but keep that team together wherever they go

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

It looked like one of his Champions League qualifier goals. Calm and collected and nothing but net. 

If Gregg can get Pepi, Pulisic, Gio, and Aaronson on the field at the same time in the right positions, that’s some firepower. 

I'd love to see Reyna play off of McKennie in the midfield with Pulisic down the left and Aaronson down the right. Pepi up top. 

I think it's important to note that we saved top 3 through this window without Pulisic, McKennie, Reyna or Dest on the pitch. If Gerg hadn't led with that horrendous formation to start the night I would have had a bit of sympathy for him being down so many of our elite talents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL.

I got a free 7-day trial to Paramount+ for this game, and I think I'm paying too much.

1) I just went to quite Paramount+ before midnight and they offered an additional free month, so I took it for now. Will likely quite soon.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

It's clear guys: Pulisic was holding us back. 

2) This is both (A) a Joke , and (B) TRUE.

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

3) They both honed their craft at the top soccer academy in the Dallas area at the time.

-Dempsey: Dallas Texans
-Pepi: FC Dallas Academy

17 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

4) Getting Pulisic, Gio, and Aaronson on the field with Pepi would be a disaster.

Gio & Pulisic want to dribble between defenders whenever they get the ball and that is THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE USMNT NEEDS!

The USMNT needs SERVICE TO PEPI.
-crosses into the middle
-passes into space so that Pepi can make runs
-give-and-go one-touch passes with Pepi

The USMNT absolutely DOES NOT NEED Gio & Pulisic playing hero ball. Measuring each other's dick to see who is the better American to have played for Dortmund.

The egos on those to fucks are out of control. Their jobs should solely be...
-To compliment Pepi.
-To feed Pepi.
-To work off of Pepi.
-To defer to Pepi.

...and there is no way that either of those guys can handle that.

They are the big names, so they will force Berhalter to fuck it up again as soon as they are healthy, but Pulisic said "We need new ideas."

Here's an idea... "GRAB A FUCKING SEAT, DRIBBLE BITCH!"

I've said it before. I would like to see Jesus Ferreira in the Starting XI with Pepi and have the rest of the team work to get those two the ball. If we want to qualify for the 2022 World Cup, that is the way to do it.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

1) I just went to quite Paramount+ before midnight and they offered an additional free month, so I took it for now. Will likely quite soon.

3) They both honed their craft at the top soccer academy in the Dallas area at the time.

Getting Pulisic, Gio, and Aaronson on the field with Pepi would be a disaster.

Gio & Pulisic want to dribble between defenders whenever they get the ball and that is THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE USMNT NEEDS!

-crosses into the middle

The USMNT absolutely DOES NOT NEED Gio & Pulisic playing hero ball. Measuring each other's dick to see who is the better American to have played for Dortmund.

-To compliment Pepi.
-To feed Pepi.
-To work off of Pepi.
-To defer to Pepi.

They are the big names, so they will force Berhalter to fuck it up again as soon as they are healthy, but Pulisic said "We need new ideas."

I've said it before. I would like to see Jesus Ferreira in the Starting XI with Pepi and have the rest of the team work to get those two the ball. If we want to qualify for the 2022 World Cup, that is the way to do it.

Pulisic was crucial in setting up our first goal. If Berhalter would quit dicking around and put together a competent lineup and formation then we wouldn't need Pulisic to do as much. Despite not playing all that well he was the only guy in the first half stringing anything together.

He and Reyna are not particularly selfish for club. The issue with their play for country is mostly attributable to coaching and the positions Gerg is putting these guys in (although Reyna certainly needs to mature a bit). 

Pulisic led Chelsea in assists two seasons ago. 

Pepi's transfer fee AT LEAST doubled after tonight.

You see how priced talent all over the field and as soon as he's allowed to take over, he does. He plays a part in all 4 goals and he's the youngest guy on the team and he's making his international debut.

He is now far and away the most expensive US Striker... ever.

The Hunt Family is absolutely love this.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pulisic was crucial in setting up our first goal. If Berhalter would quit dicking around and put together a competent lineup and formation then we wouldn't need Pulisic to do as much. Despite not playing all that well he was the only guy in the first half stringing anything together.

He and Reyna are not particularly selfish for club. The issue with their play for country is mostly attributable to coaching and the positions Gerg is putting these guys in (although Reyna certainly needs to mature a bit). 

I'm not saying that they don't know how to be a team player and defer to others.

I'm saying that they are incapable of doing that with the USMNT at this time.

Christian has been seen as the USMNT's most important player for the last 4 years. Tonight showed that he is not. It is someone over 4 years younger than "WunderBoy".

PS- He should NOT be taking set pieces if Acosta is on the field.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm not saying that they don't know how to be a team player and defer to others.

Christian has been seen as the USMNT's most important player for the last 4 years. Tonight showed that he is not. It is someone over 4 years younger than "WunderBoy".

Alright I mean this is a silly, knee-jerk take in my opinion. Honduras is Honduras at the end of the day. We are never beating legitimate sides without players like Pulisic and Reyna. If we can't figure out how to utilize them effectively that speaks more about our coaching as they are the two most talented players we have ever had. 

Pepi has a lot of promise and seems to be our best option going forward at the 9. I'm not crowning him our best player after one good game and having never played in Europe. That's ridiculous. 

Besides - it doesn't matter. They are going to continue to play whether you want them to or not. I'd get used to it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Alright I mean this is a silly, knee-jerk take in my opinion. Honduras is Honduras at the end of the day. We are never beating legitimate sides without players like Pulisic and Reyna. If we can't figure out how to utilize them effectively that speaks more about our coaching as they are the two most talented players we have ever had. 

Pepi has a lot of promise and seems to be our best option going forward at the 9. I'm not crowning him our best player after one good game and having never played in Europe. That's ridiculous. 

Besides - it doesn't matter. They are going to continue to play whether you want them to or not. I'd get used to it. 

We do not play any European sides in CONCACAF.

Mexico, Canada, and the USMNT are the 3 best teams in CONCACAF.

Costa Rica is on the decline and I'm not sure how Panama has done so well.

Jamaica is a wild card due to their influx of dual nationals, but I'm not sure how much they'll be able to help until COVID is under control, because England is being sticklers about allowing players to play internationally in COVID hotspots... not that England isn't a COVID hotspot.

Pepi is not our best player. Pepi is our most important player.

Pulisic & Reyna are better players than Pepi and before tonight I would say that Tyler Adams was our most important player (over Pulisic & Reyna), but if you can't score goals, you can't win. And with 3 points for a win and 1 point for a tie, you need to win some games.

MOST IMPORTANT

1) Ricardo Pepi
2) Tyler Adams
3) ...??? It obviously isn't McKennie ... maybe Sebastian Lleg... 😁

I cant believe GREGGGG started Acosta and James Sands as our midfield.   Jason Kreiss thinks that's negative.

We need to switch to a 4231, or drop one of Aaronson or Reyna to the midfield in the 433.   Adams. McKennie/Musah as 6/8s and Pulisic/Reyna/Aaronson attackers with Pepi up top.   Weah and Konrad as subs  

The Robinsons are locks for now at LB and CB.  

Fucking Pepsi saved GGG's job, hopefully thats a good thing.

Edited by Ted Lange
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Pepi is not our best player. Pepi is our most important player.

He may well be going forward. That doesn't mean Pulisic and Reyna should see the bench. They have proven much more to this point than Pepi has. They started and won a nations league* final against Mexico earlier this year. 

Hopefully Pepi makes their jobs easier and unlocks some of the chemistry we've been lacking. 

I am not concerned about Pulisic's role at all. He bleeds for this team, works his ass off and will figure out how to adjust his play as needed. What we don't need is Greg playing dumbass zero midfield formations where Pulisic feels like he has to create everything for us. 

Reyna is a bit of a headcase but he's just 18. We could also do him a favor and quit playing him out of position. I'm hoping his talent wins out because he does things with the ball that I have never seen from an American. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The guy I think has been forgotten in all of this is Hoppe, and I would be really curious to start both him and Pepi upfront together with Pulisic below and Aaronson and Gio out wide. I don't know what this does to Weston as Adams is more important, but would like to see what happens.

But I totally agree that Pulisic who was once and still is the most important player in the USMNT is now replaceable, and its a great problem to have compared to 2017.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gregggg is married to the 433, I dont see him playing 2 up top.   But with this cycle, we are gonna need multiple people at every position.   Hopefully Hoppe is called up next window.   Also, hopefully Greggggg realizes that it is moronic to only call up 26, we better be calling up 29/30 guys next time.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

The guy I think has been forgotten in all of this is Hoppe

Thought about him a few times tonight. Hope he continues to feature when he can. 

Also - Reyna below and Pulisic out wide makes more sense. Pulisic is a decent 10 but that is Reyna's bread and butter. 

But like Ted is saying I'd rather we not get that cute and Gregg is going to stick with the 4-3-3 anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Thought about him a few times tonight. Hope he continues to feature when he can. 

Also - Reyna below and Pulisic out wide makes more sense. Pulisic is a decent 10 but that is Reyna's bread and butter. 

But like Ted is saying I'd rather we not get that cute and Gregg is going to stick with the 4-3-3 anyway.

Was thinking that with Reyna, but believe he plays more on the right with Dortmund and thus why I said that. Though I agree with you, middle makes more sense.

3 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Was thinking that with Reyna, but believe he plays more on the right with Dortmund and thus why I said that. Though I agree with you, middle makes more sense.

Looking at game logs he was all over the place last year. So far this year he has settled into the midfield and typically on the left side. They play some pretty unconventional lineups - like a 2-1-2 up front with 2 strikers - Reus behind as the 10 and then Reyna as the left CM behind that. 

He is talented enough to play wherever - but Dortmund seems to like him sitting behind the main attack. He has a crazy nose for the ball and does well to intercept passes. Kind of like if Acosta was much more talented and versatile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

The guy I think has been forgotten in all of this is Hoppe, and I would be really curious to start both him and Pepi upfront together with Pulisic below and Aaronson and Gio out wide. I don't know what this does to Weston as Adams is more important, but would like to see what happens.

But I totally agree that Pulisic who was once and still is the most important* player in the USMNT is now replaceable 👀, and its a great problem to have compared to 2017.

*most important 

princess-bride-you-keep-using-that-word.

• Like 1

The starting lineup and formation were incredibly bizarre and further evidence of just how out of his depth Greggg is at this level.  Starts 4 CBs, benches Antonee Robinson and moves Adams to wingback.  Then we still don't track a runner and let a ball bounce in our box on the Honduras goal.  How the fuck does that happen?  Usually when the players have no idea what their role and defensive responsibilities are.  Completely inept.  I am a bit surprised Greggg acknowledged his stupidity at HT by reverting to a more customary lineup and formation.  Regardless of the ultimate result, Greggg should be fired today for his player selection and formation.  They both reveal absolute incompetence.  This guy has zero idea what he is doing and this cycle is a waste of time with him at the helm.

Going forward, Greggg needs to keep it simple with both his formation and player selections.  It doesn't matter if you call it a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 but Adams and one of Acosta and McKennie need to play the double pivot or 6/8 with Reyna as the 10.  Pulisic should start on the left opposite Aaronson with Pepi up front.  Dest and Robinson are the FBs with Yedlin filling in until Dest returns.  Robinson and Brooks should be the CBs.  GK is the hardest decision.  Subs should come from whoever doesn't start from McKennie/Acosta plus Lletget, Konrad, Weah and Hoppe.  Sargent shouldn't even be in the 23 at this point much less starting on the wing. Imagine concluding that Sargent is a superior option to Aaronson on the wing in a must win game.        

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

4) Getting Pulisic, Gio, and Aaronson on the field with Pepi would be a disaster.

-crosses into the middle

-To compliment Pepi.
-To feed Pepi.
-To work off of Pepi.
-To defer to Pepi.

I think a lot of that extra dribbling is the lack of tactics, especially in the final third. Some of that is lack of playing together, but I think more of it is a lack of any plan other than “sure, Gio or CP can dribble through half the team” by Greg. CP can definitely provide service, he’s proven that at Chelsea, but everyone needs to be on the same sheet of music. CP gets so much attention and can win plenty of take-ons that will open massive space for others. If we don’t plan around that though. It’s pointless.  

I like CP at the 10, he has the ability on the ball to win duels and create space. I agree that Gio seems much more driven to score than facilitate, but he's too good to keep off the field. Again, that’s where coaching needs to assert itself. You want confidence and creativity, but you also want it to be smart and team focused. If you win a 1 on 3, that means multiple guys are standing in craters.  

In an ideal world we would have CP at 10, Gio and AA-Ron on the wings, and Pepi at the 9. We can’t rely on Pepi to be able to dominate in the middle the same way we can’t rely on CP to dominate from the wings or the 10. We need flexibility and intelligence from all those guys to recognize how they are being defended and to adjust to what will work the best. If a team has some horses inside that negate Pepi, he needs to play more of a holdup/distributor role. Against smaller teams feed Pepi quality service all fucking night. I love his debut, but you can bet that teams will now focus on him and we can’t expect to run back the same team and get the same result. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The starting lineup and formation were incredibly bizarre and further evidence of just how out of his depth Greggg is at this level.  Starts 4 CBs, benches Antonee Robinson and moves Adams to wingback.  Then we still don't track a runner and let a ball bounce in our box on the Honduras goal.  How the fuck does that happen?  Usually when the players have no idea what their role and defensive responsibilities are.  Completely inept.  I am a bit surprised Greggg acknowledged his stupidity at HT by reverting to a more customary lineup and formation.  Regardless of the ultimate result, Greggg should be fired today for his player selection and formation.  They both reveal absolute incompetence.  This guy has zero idea what he is doing and this cycle is a waste of time with him at the helm.

Going forward, Greggg needs to keep it simple with both his formation and player selections.  It doesn't matter if you call it a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 but Adams and one of Acosta and McKennie need to play the double pivot or 6/8 with Reyna as the 10.  Pulisic should start on the left opposite Aaronson with Pepi up front.  Dest and Robinson are the FBs with Yedlin filling in until Dest returns.  Robinson and Brooks should be the CBs.  GK is the hardest decision.  Subs should come from whoever doesn't start from McKennie/Acosta plus Lletget, Konrad, Weah and Hoppe.  Sargent shouldn't even be in the 23 at this point much less starting on the wing. Imagine concluding that Sargent is a superior option to Aaronson on the wing in a must win game.        

It definitely feels like 2020 Jogi Low is coaching the USMNT. Bizarre lineups, formations, and a focus on possession with no clear ideas how to get through the final third. Last nights starting 11 is proof that Greg is just throwing shit at a wall and hoping something good will happen. 

Coaches matter in soccer more than most sports.  I’ve watched a couple of coaches walk into loaded teams at Bayern and just completely shit the bed. There isn’t a single idea, tactic, or lineup that everyone has to adhere to, but the good coaches are able to combine the best players and give them a defined focus on the game and season. They are also able to manage egos and dictate style of play. Some guys have that ability, I don’t think Greg is one of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

Pepi

aaronson Pulisic Reyna 

adams Mckennie 

Robonson Brooks Robinson Dest 

4-2-3-1

I was just thinking about that front 4 and totally love it, which means we'll probably never see it. Those 3 behind Pepi can interchange so easily, but having so much focus on Puli in the center will open up so much for Reyna and Aaronson. It would be a nightmare to defend. 

Also, I will fully admit I made the old man decision of going to bed instead of watching the 2nd half. Was shocked when I woke up and saw what happened. To me, it still doesn't excuse what might have been one of the worst first half performances from the USMNT that I've ever watched, and I've seen some howlers. I still think there are serious concerns going forward with this coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Loved what I saw out of Pepi but holy smokes, it's like we're talking to a bunch of Texas fans here - it's one game, settle down. He's all of a sudden the "most important" player we have? Maybe... I'll wait until he eclipses 100 minutes with the USMNT to make judgement. 

Pulisic was the only good thing going in that abysmal lineup GGG trotted out there. And then once the formation was properly (or more properly) balanced after HT, he was clearly looking more and more dangerous. The goals came as a result of finally putting out a proper balance of CB, FB, MF, and FWD, not because Pulisic got injured. The crosses finally started flying in, and that was while Pulisic was out there. 

The thought that Pulisic needs to grab a seat on the bench (if healthy) is beyond idiotic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Let's tap the brakes here for a sec, especially on the bolded part. Pepi had 1 stellar debut game. But let's not go crown him king just yet.

That all said, he was clearly a missing piece that was going to be needed in CONCACAF qualifying where everyone outside of 1-2 teams was going to bunker in and force us to beat them.

In the end, we have a lot of great players. Who's "most important"? WHO CARES. Gergg just needs to figure out the right lineup to take most advantage of the talent he has and the correct way to exploit the other teams weaknessess. 

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Gergg deserves no credit for today's result. Yes, he made key adjustments, and he did it early for once, with three key subs coming on after halftime.

But he dug that fucking hole with an idiotic formation that put multiple players out of position. WCQ is NOT the time to experiment. Gergg had the Gold Cup, Nations League, and several friendlies earlier this year to tinker.

That he hasn't figured out what he has--and how to play them--is distressing.

This and this. Gergg get's no credit for this. He tripped on his own dick again and lucked into winning this game by FINALLY throwing some shit on the wall that worked. It's only taken him 3 games to figure out what everyone else knew after El Salvador. The difference is that he's paid to fucking know that, which is criminal at this point

I mean let's also not forget that Honduras opened this all up for the US with their subs as well

In the end, it was a much needed win. The US is where they need to be and can hopefully carry this momentum into the next cycle. But until Beerholder gets his head out of his ass, we are going to be fighting this it seems game in, game out.

I went to bed after the first half, the late start on the east coast and then the worst half of play I can remember from this team since T&T I just couldn't put myself through it. Honduras in the first half looked like what I thought the US was going to look like. Crisp passes, good pressure perfect through balls and opportunities.

I watched the second half this morning, pleasantly surprised with the response. I do think there is a bit of a overreaction to Pepi/Pulisic. The US is definitely a better team when they have CP & Gio on the pitch. Pepi looks like he could be the missing piece which is great, and hopefully trouble for the rest of concacaf. 

Sargent is so lost out there it seems, and brooks looked again like he either didn't want to be there or just isn't good enough. 

5 points is right were we needed to be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Loved what I saw out of Pepi but holy smokes, it's like we're talking to a bunch of Texas fans here - it's one game, settle down. He's all of a sudden the "most important" player we have? Maybe... I'll wait until he eclipses 100 minutes with the USMNT to make judgement. 

I mean, if you factor in extra time he got like 97 minutes last night. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

@Braff Zacklin and I - among others (including all 3 former Nats on the desk) - were commenting well ahead of time what the issues were and what the fix was. Then when Gerg actually implemented those changes we cruised to a win. 

I commented before the match even started that I hated the formation and kept commenting on it until he fixed it. It doesn't take a genius to see what the issues are going to be when he rolls some bullshit like that out. 

Sure - armchair managers have their moments and can't always assess the full picture - but last night's game was not an example of Gerg's job being difficult. It was actually extremely easy last night and he fucked it up.

I will give him partial credit for fixing it - as well as continue to give him credit for keeping these guys passionate and playing for each other - but, you know, it's funny how they look more motivated and have better chemistry WHEN YOU PLAY THEM AT THEIR POSITIONS IN AN INTUITIVE FORMATION. 

• Hook 'Em 2