USMNT 2021

Napoleon

5 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Loved what I saw out of Pepi but holy smokes, it's like we're talking to a bunch of Texas fans here - it's one game, settle down. He's all of a sudden the "most important" player we have? Maybe... I'll wait until he eclipses 100 minutes with the USMNT to make judgement. 

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Let's tap the brakes here for a sec, especially on the bolded part. Pepi had 1 stellar debut game. But let's not go crown him king just yet.

These are fair points. We tend to overreact to wins and losses or to poor or great individual performances.

But, honestly, when was the last time we saw a debut that impressive? What more could we expect out of a striker than what Pepi displayed last night? I'm not quite ready to go out on the limb that @Napoleon did, but I understand why he and @Zepol87 have been clamoring for him to play.

I gushed early in the match because Pepi seems to be the pure 9 we've needed for a long time. He's decisive and ruthless in front of goal (the anti-Sargent, if I'm honest), yet still possesses the willingness to track back and defend.

Some YouTuber compiled an "all touches" video for Pepi. The first minute-plus primarily features Ricardo tracking back during the first half and winning the ball or forcing a rushed pass. We desperately needed that because we had no midfield (more on that in a later post).

Then, in the following 45 minutes, we witnessed what Pepi was capable of with an actual midfield to support him. Take the equalizer, for example (~1:10 mark). Pepi collects a back-line clearance despite being closely marked and manages to lay the ball off to an onrushing Pulisic. Big deal, right? That's nothing Brian Ching couldn't do in his sleep (seriously).

But then Ricardo does something that Chingy could only dream of--he gets on his horse and sprints 40 yards into the 18-meter box to make himself a target for Lletget's cross. He couldn't quite get a foot on it, but his presence draws the defense's exclusive attention, leaving Antonee with a clear line of sight and all the time in the world to score.

On to the eventual gamewinner. Though tall and lanky, Pepi doesn't seem particularly strong or fast, nor is he a spectacular leaper. So an average athlete at this level? But holy shit, that was one golazo cabezazo. Despite being closely marked and not having any forward momentum, Pepi managed to power a perfectly placed ball inside the post. McBride and Borgetti could have done no better.

What's not shown in that sequence is that Pepi had made an earlier run and fallen down in an offside position. My boy Deuce** would've stayed on his back, gesticulating for a call. But Ricardo gets up, gets back onside, and then makes himself available for Lletget's pinpoint cross.

Technically, Pepi's assist on the third goal was underhit, but Aaronson adjusted and just beat the defender to the ball. Still, it was a great counter and another example of how Ricardo is not only looking for himself.

On the final goal, maybe with a better first or second touch, he could've wrapped his foot around the ball and bent the shot around the keeper, but it was still a damned fine strike and left the keeper with no other option but to deflect at full stretch, leaving Lletget with a sitter.

All in all, it was a sublime debut that we should take with a grain of salt because it was just one match.

However, if Pepi does something similar versus Jamaica on Oct. 7 ...

** I love Clint, but we all know what his weaknesses were.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Has there been any update on McKinney’s status (and other injured guys) for the games in October?

Not sure why McKinnie wouldn't be ready to go. Unless he sexually harasses someone's wife when he gets back to Turin. 

Guessing Pulisic rolled his ankle. Also guessing Chelsea keeps him inactive Saturday and tries to get him back for the first CL fixture on Tuesday.

On Reyna - 

“Gio Reyna is injured and will be out for the next few games. We hope that he will be back after the next international break.”

So maybe for October window? If I'm BvB I'd probably like to keep him in Dortmund through that window but it isn't totally their call.

Dest with an ankle sprain. Aiming to be back against Bayern on the 14th. He should be fine for the next window. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Pepi doesn't seem particularly strong or fast

The only "bad" play I remember from him was getting muscled off the ball on a counter. But he's 18 - he'll get stronger. Especially if he goes to a top club in Europe. Pulisic use to have issues with physicality but has come a long way in that department. Guys just aren't developed all the way as teenagers. 

I disagree on his speed. He seems plenty fast - especially with the ball. He isn't Werner or Mbappe but he also isn't Zardes. His pace didn't seem to be an issue and his fitness is clearly in a good place. 

Also on his speed - he seems to be a bit like Reyna in that he may not be the fastest guy on the pitch but he can make up for it and does by always being in the right place.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Agree that Pepi will get stronger as he matures. My observation was more on the lines of "even though he's not bulky or muscular, he's still able to shield the ball and hold off defenders." That speaks volumes for not only what he can do, but what he will be able to do in a few more years.

I'll stand by the speed comment. He's not a burner and never will be. But he doesn't need to be; his effort, attitude, and skill are far more important.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Agree that Pepi will get stronger as he matures. My observation was more on the lines of "even though he's not bulky or muscular, he's still able to shield the ball and hold off defenders." That speaks volumes for not only what he can do, but what he will be able to do in a few more years.

I'll stand by the speed comment. He's not a burner and never will be. But he doesn't need to be; his effort, attitude, and skill are far more important.

Yeah. See my edit. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure why McKinnie wouldn't be ready to go. Unless he sexually harasses someone's wife when he gets back to Turin. 

Guessing Pulisic rolled his ankle. Also guessing Chelsea keeps him inactive Saturday and tries to get him back for the first CL fixture on Tuesday.

On Reyna - 

“Gio Reyna is injured and will be out for the next few games. We hope that he will be back after the next international break.”

So maybe for October window? If I'm BvB I'd probably like to keep him in Dortmund through that window but it isn't totally their call.

Dest with an ankle sprain. Aiming to be back against Bayern on the 14th. He should be fine for the next window. 

I just didn’t know if they were planning more significant punishment for McKinney violating Covid protocols.

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I just didn’t know if they were planning more significant punishment for McKinney violating Covid protocols.

I seriously fucking hope not. 2 games is already fairly punitive for my money's worth. Suspend him any of the October games and I think you are creating some bad blood.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

@Braff Zacklin and I - among others (including all 3 former Nats on the desk) - were commenting well ahead of time what the issues were and what the fix was. Then when Gerg actually implemented those changes we cruised to a win. 

I commented before the match even started that I hated the formation and kept commenting on it until he fixed it. It doesn't take a genius to see what the issues are going to be when he rolls some bullshit like that out. 

Sure - armchair managers have their moments and can't always assess the full picture - but last night's game was not an example of Gerg's job being difficult. It was actually extremely easy last night and he fucked it up.

I will give him partial credit for fixing it - as well as continue to give him credit for keeping these guys passionate and playing for each other - but, you know, it's funny how they look more motivated and have better chemistry WHEN YOU PLAY THEM AT THEIR POSITIONS IN AN INTUITIVE FORMATION. 

Oh I agree with you. You were on this. I am more taking a shot at Nap for being over the top.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Oh I agree with you. You were on this. I am more taking a shot at Nap for being over the top.

Yeah I figured you weren't agreeing with that guy. But - it looks like he tweeted that after one of the first games - which were maybe a bit less condemnable from a coaching standpoint.

Ocho thoughts.  If Concacaf is going to foul Pulisic then put him at attacking mid where he can be fouled in or near the box.  Why waste the fouls in the midfield.  

It should be clear that A.Robinson has locked down the starting left back spot. 

I'd tell Araujo the right back is wide open and waiting for him to commit. As much depth as there is at RB, it's either too inexperienced, too Chandleresque or too average. Araujo can win that position.

From here on, use two CB's out of these three, Robinson, Richards and McKenzie.  Get them experience in playing together.  Use Brooks as a luxury CB and all others as depth.

No more Aaranson in the midfield. 

McKennie looked like crap in his only game.  I think that he's not in game playing shape with season just beginning. I expect him to be better as season progresses. Is he a team leader like he was in NL games or is he a goof off?

Can't wait to see Musa against Concacaf.  

I'm ready for a forward pool of Pepi, Zardes and a healthy Dike.  The aspirational talents of Seargent and Prefok are not enough.

Somehow Gregg is going to fuck this up.  

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Sargent doesn't make the Norwich squad today. Are there any quarantine requirements heading back to England?

Not for the countries the US played in, they were all amber list. That said it really depends on if Sargent is vaccinated or not. 

Edited by Captain Ron

4 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I think I paid $150 a piece for front row tickets vs Panama in 2013 in Seattle. I'm not sure how this is helpful, we need a fuckton of loud drunk ass American's when we play this match. 

It will be a sellout and packed to the gills. The issue is that they are having a US/Mexico game in a 26k seat MLS stadium. 

7 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I think I paid $150 a piece for front row tickets vs Panama in 2013 in Seattle. I'm not sure how this is helpful, we need a fuckton of loud drunk ass American's when we play this match. 

I was at the last game in Columbus. I remember it being 108 dollars and that stadium sucked ass. I really hope the US fans come through but those prices don't seem to be doing US fans any favors

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

The last 6 USMNT Mexico games were played in 20K Columbus Crew stadium...

Are you talking about WCQ? The Gold Cup final was at the Raiders stadium. The Nations League final was at the Broncos stadium. 

Either way my point stands. It's expensive because there aren't that many seats. I understand their hands might be a bit tied in the fall with football going on. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Are you talking about WCQ? The Gold Cup final was at the Raiders stadium. The Nations League final was at the Broncos stadium. 

Either way my point stands. It's expensive because there aren't that many seats. I understand their hands might be a bit tied in the fall with football going on. 

Yes, comparing apples to apples, WCQ in Columbus.   Tickets were not THAT outrageous. 

2 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Yes, comparing apples to apples, WCQ in Columbus.   Tickets were not THAT outrageous. 

I agree it's steep. But some fuel was added to the fire recently with the two finals. There's also more hype surrounding this US team. 

It might not get the right fans in the seats but there will be 26k there. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I agree it's steep. But some fuel was added to the fire recently with the two finals. There's also more hype surrounding this US team. 

It might not get the right fans in the seats but there will be 26k there. 

It is expensive but it is the norm, I am not even that mad about that game but the prices for fucking Jamaica in Austin shouldn't have been nearly expensive but whatever new stadium and all that shit. My el tri buddies that are in PVA have been paying over 100 for the games at ATT stadium

Just now, Zepol87 said:

It is expensive but it is the norm, I am not even that mad about that game but the prices for fucking Jamaica in Austin shouldn't have been nearly expensive but whatever new stadium and all that shit. My el tri buddies that are in PVA have been paying over 100 for the games at ATT stadium

The Austin FC tickets are stupid expensive. Or they were to start the season. 

New stadium - limited seating - city with a pretty solid soccer culture - regardless of opponent the game in Austin is going to be pricey. 

A US/Mexico game in Austin would be criminal price wise. 

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Pepi and the Jesus play well together

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

I am glad more people are seeing that. 

I feel like someone has been ranting about putting these two together for the USMNT for at least a week now.

The dude wouldn't shut up about it last week... until he went to Louisville for his fantasy football league's Bourbon Trail Draft '21.

It's nice to see FC Dallas' social media people lobbying Berhalter to fucking open his eyes!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:15 PM, ztejas said:

On Reyna - 

So I was curious about this, because I was wondering about this in terms of Dortmund, they didn't say he was out until after the next international break to keep him out of the next international window. While that's possible, the US could have Gio evaluated on their own and get him cleared to play. That said, I have a feeling he is probably on the shelf for the US until the 3rd window.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Pepi and the Jesus play well together

i broke a 12.5 year embargo on watching exhibition matches and watched this one beginning to end specifically to see if there is something to this topic and i agree there is

in each case the 1-1 below is ferreira behind pepi

5-3-1-1: if all of the big 4 were available, one of them makes way here

4-4-1-1: accommodates the big 4 nicely

Big 4 being Pulisic, Adams, Reyna, McKinnie?

McKinnie hasn't looked good for Juventus since the season started and obviously the general ambivalence to COVID rules makes him a wild card... Not sure we need to accommodate him over someone like Aaronson at this point. But I don't think there is enough defense with Aaronson in that hypothetical 4-4-1-1. 

So that leaves a 5-3-1-1 which feels like a significant departure from the 4-3-3 we've been running (memories of the 1H against Honduras come flooding back). I think the bigger issue is we don't have time to experiment anymore - no friendlies to do it in. Would love to see those formations given a chance but that's a lot of pressure on two guys with a combined 90m played.

33 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Gregg isn't going away from the 433 at this point, I still think for our talent pool a 4231 makes more sense, but I have given up on that.

Totally agree. And with a 4-2-3-1, you could still play a Jesus + Pepi combo and maintain Pulisic, Reyna, Adams, and McKennie.

• Hook 'Em 2