Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

I found this article to be pretty interesting as a garden oaks resident, former lawyer guy, baseball lover, dad, and local business owner who would benefit from even more population density.

https://www.theleadernews.com/sports/youth-organizations-spar-over-baseball-field/article_227198fa-d9bc-11eb-85d1-13589522bfa4.html?fbclid=IwAR2qTyUgGeDRRilX9p1qpyCfInEWOTDQWnqO7CFUyApkEH27CU_nyjqwdXU

Recent rain left puddles of standing water on the baseball field at 1025 Judiway St., where grass and weeds have grown on parts of the infield dirt and bird nests have formed on the netting that keeps foul balls from encroaching on adjacent property as well as the road.

The dugouts and outfield fence also show signs of age and prolonged use, as do the wooden bleachers and small announcer’s box behind home plate. They all could use some renovation or repair, and a property dotted with trash and other debris late Tuesday afternoon could have used some cleaning.

Despite the field’s dilapidated condition, it remains a valuable commodity, so much so that a pair of local youth organizations have been locked in a year-long court battle over the right to call it their own. The Heights Lions Club has asserted ownership of the property and wants to sell it to a developer, while the Oaks Dads’ Club (ODC), which leased the field for more than 20 years and claims to have used it for at least 40, also claims to be its rightful owner through adverse possession.

“It’s super sad,” Heights Lions Club president David Hite said, “that one is trying to defraud the other.”

The dispute started in June 2020, when Hite wrote a letter to ODC saying its annual lease would not be renewed at the end of the year and the youth sports organization needed to vacate the property and remove its possessions before the start of 2021. The Heights Lions Club had received offers to buy the 2.7-acre tract of land, Hite said, and discovered it was technically owned by an entity called Oak Forest Lions Club Youth Stadium Inc., which was affiliated with the former Oak Forest Lions Club, which merged with the Heights organization in 2014.

But the corporation that owned the field had dissolved and lost its charter with the state of Texas in the 1980s, Hite said. So in an attempt to clear up the title of the property so it could be sold, Hite said the Heights Lions Club hired an attorney and filed a lawsuit against Oak Forest Lions Club Youth Stadium Inc. in state district court in January 2020.

That legal proceeding and subsequent letter from Hite prompted ODC to intervene in the lawsuit last July, according to Sean Jez, a former ODC board president who serves as the organization’s attorney. Jez claims the Heights Lions Club leased the field to ODC under false pretenses and that ODC should assume ownership of the property as a nonprofit that has historically used and maintained the field and has an intention to keep it operating as an amenity for local youth.

“The Heights Lions Club is trying to say that they own that property, but they don’t,” Jez said. “… When Oaks Dads’ Club was quote unquote leasing the property, we were under the impression it was owned by Oak Forest Lions Club, when it in fact was owned by some other entity that was dissolved by the state of Texas.”

ODC sought a temporary injunction last December to keep it from being evicted until the ownership question could be settled by the court, and also filed motions for default and summary judgments in its favor. All three motions have been denied by Judge Latosha Lewis Payne, according to Harris County court records.

Court records also show that Payne is in the process of appointing an ad-litem attorney to represent the interests of Oak Forest Lions Club Youth Stadium Inc., since a representative of the corporation has not been identified. Hite and Jez both said the case is at a standstill until the ad-litem attorney is appointed and fulfills his or her role.

Fair or foul?

Hite, who described the denial of the injunction as “huge” for the case of the Heights Lions Club, said it ended up evicting ODC at the end of 2020 and has since leased the property to the Houston Sports and Social Club, which operates recreational leagues for adults, at a rental rate of $4,000 per month. ODC had been paying the Heights Lions Club $4,000 per year to lease the facility, according to court records, and Jez said ODC had been subleasing the field to the Houston Sports and Social Club.

Hite said the subleasing arrangement violated the terms of the most recent lease between the Heights Lions Club and ODC, which he said was drafted by Jez in 2019. From 1996 until 2019, Hite said ODC paid annual rent of $2,500.

“You cannot sublease the property, which they did, and they were making a bunch of money on it,” Hite said.

Jez has argued that since the field was owned by a nonprofit for the benefit of the community, Texas law requires ownership to be transferred to another nonprofit and the property’s use to remain the same. He said the Heights Lions Club’s stated intention to sell the property to a developer would go against the spirit of that precedent if it were determined to be the rightful owner.

The field has dimensions suited for the Pony League level, which is for players of middle school age.

“It’s a big loss to not have that field,” Jez said. “The older boys, they need a big field to practice on and to play on. They can’t just go anywhere for a field that size.”

According to Hite, though, there is no longer a public need for the field in a community that has grown exponentially during the last several decades. He said the Heights Lions Club discovered there are 30 fields of comparable size within a 3-mile radius of the field on Judiway. This spring, Jez said ODC’s Pony League teams used the organization’s sports complex near the northeast corner of Rena Street and Bingle Road.

Hite also said the sale of the Judiway property, which has a market value of nearly $2.4 million, according to the Harris County Appraisal District, would be a boon to the Heights Lions Club’s mission. Hite said the organization’s main charitable initiative is to fund eye doctor visits and eyeglass purchases for Heights-area kids who need them, and the Lions Club also sponsors local children with disabilities so they can attend Texas Lions Camp in the summertime.

Hite said the Lions Club has a $3.1 million offer for the property from a developer. He also said the organization has spent more than $100,000 on the legal dispute with ODC.

“If we’re going to get this sale done, we can provide over 1,000 pair of glasses per year for students in the Heights,” Hite said.

First, though, Payne must agree with the Heights Lions Club’s assertion that it is the legal owner of the field. And even though she has denied the motions filed so far by ODC, Jez said, “There’s really been nothing decided on the merits as far as who is the rightful owner of the property or who will wind up with the property at this point.”

Hite said he thinks the dispute is more about money than about serving youth in the Heights, Garden Oaks and Oak Forest areas.

“What it boils down to is it’s a $3 million piece of property,” Hite said. “They’re just trying to steal it.”
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

I found this article to be pretty interesting as a garden oaks resident, former lawyer guy, baseball lover, dad, and local business owner who would benefit from even more population density.

https://www.theleadernews.com/sports/youth-organizations-spar-over-baseball-field/article_227198fa-d9bc-11eb-85d1-13589522bfa4.html?fbclid=IwAR2qTyUgGeDRRilX9p1qpyCfInEWOTDQWnqO7CFUyApkEH27CU_nyjqwdXU

We've been to the Dads' Club BBQ a couple times. Good times. I hope they prevail. 

Side note: Lions Club guys are some goofy f***s. 

Update: Lions Club convention descends on Seattle streets today | KNKX

Have some respect for yourself and join a krewe or a rodeo committee. 

If you must be a Lion, rent some tubes in San Marcos. 

• 1 month later...

Some more re-development coming to 34th Street.

That rough looking La Villita Night Club was bought by a developer and is up for lease, presumably will end up as a new bar or restaurant (following major renovations).

Just a little down the street, Braun is re-developing the Sheet Metal Training Center into a retail/dining strip.

Bruan.thumb.jpg.a1dbaff4c805223f8669ab04084a0186.jpg

Edited by Storm the Field

i didnt know about the fight about the fields off of judiway with ODC - I am pretty involved with them and know a lot of the board members but was unaware about that. yeah, the odc cook-off is fucking awesome - we've participated last couple of years (precovid) with a few of us here on that team...always had a blast and run into even more people who post on here. hope we get to do it again. 

side note - there's also a random strip mall being renovated off pinemont and golf (in between the shepherd parks neighborhoods). i thought that property belonged to the dominion church but they may have sold the land, there's supposed to be some bars? coming in, maybe eateries instead? I dunno. if the church owned that property, glad they sold it since it was pretty much an eye sore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some more re-development coming to 34th Street.
That rough looking La Villita Night Club was bought by a developer and is up for lease, presumably will end up as a new bar or restaurant (following major renovations).
Just a little down the street, Braun is re-developing the Sheet Metal Training Center into a retail/dining strip.
Bruan.thumb.jpg.a1dbaff4c805223f8669ab04084a0186.jpg

that will be a nice improvement.

anyone know why nothing has happened at Stomping Yards yet? other than Fat Cats, it doesn’t look like any of the other interior space has been touched.

19 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

that will be a nice improvement.

anyone know why nothing has happened at Stomping Yards yet? other than Fat Cats, it doesn’t look like any of the other interior space has been touched.

I know Cherry Block just wrapped up their nexsteed funding 2 weeks ago and plans to start construction this fall, so I imagine they won't be open until next spring.

My wife stopped by yesterday with our niece and nephews to get Fat Cat and said there are some signs up for future tenants. Here's their latest site flyer:

TheStompingGrounds-Sitemap2.png?format=1

Obviously those dates aren't going to be met if stuff isn't currently under construction.

Any idea when your new Wakefield neighbors Grease Monkey are supposed to open? They recently launched an IG page but haven't posted anything in a few weeks. Banner just says "Opening Fall '21"

I long recognized that the stretch of Shepherd between 11th and 610 would take off. Back when it was basically one used car lot and another. I didn't have the ambition to buy one of the lots but it was obvious what was going to occur within 10 years. And we're getting there quickly. I have that same feeling for Shepherd north of 43rd up to Pinemont (or so.) It's still an area with rough edges but the residential areas within a few blocks off Shepherd are gentrifying quickly. The new residents will not want pawn shops or old motels. But that could be 10 years out.

Not to mention that some developers have to be eyeing the old Sears. 12 acres. I would love to see it turn into some mixed use luxury apartments, restaurants and shops. I fear it will be lower income apartments that will do nothing by deteriorate starting on Day 1. Then again there is probably some value in that building to leverage. Hopefully not a 24 hour amazon warehouse.

EDIT: I believe the bingo hall behind the CVS is also for sale. Another 3 acres.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

My new house is being built at Shepherd and Jansich. I will be able to walk to Astral in 2 minutes.  I’m wondering what they have planned for that large lot right next to Astral?  I’m also wondering about that Sears. 

I’m very excited as I feel I got a great deal at the right time in this area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Pancho said:

My new house is being built at Shepherd and Jansich. I will be able to walk to Astral in 2 minutes.  I’m wondering what they have planned for that large lot right next to Astral?  I’m also wondering about that Sears. 

Awesome. As I wrote, I'm a big fan of the future of that area.

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

Or a storage facility

I hope it's not a storage facility. 

42 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Good spot, my son goes to the elementary school right off brinkman. Welcome to the area

7 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Any idea when your new Wakefield neighbors Grease Monkey are supposed to open? They recently launched an IG page but haven't posted anything in a few weeks. Banner just says "Opening Fall '21"

nope. heard the main delay was a fracture in the ownership group that had to be resolved before they continued spending money. 

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’m wondering what they have planned for that large lot right next to Astral?  

was told from someone who works at astral (so grain of salt…) that it was going to be a big multi-story mixed retail and residential development. 

i didnt know about the fight about the fields off of judiway with ODC - I am pretty involved with them and know a lot of the board members but was unaware about that. yeah, the odc cook-off is fucking awesome - we've participated last couple of years (precovid) with a few of us here on that team...always had a blast and run into even more people who post on here. hope we get to do it again.
@mez2

let me know when the next cook-off planning gets going. i’d love to sponsor a team or teams.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 2:31 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I noticed that there is a new traffic information sign installed near the Sonic on Shepherd. The kind of sign that Transtar or Metro can change the message, like 20 minutes to I-45, or whatever. 

This plays into my fears that Shepherd between 610 and I-45 is going to become more and more an alternative to I-45. Add to the fact that the I-45 expansion is slowing down, perhaps to a halt, I could see TxDOT pushing more traffic to Shepherd.

others that i know of: woodway just W of 610 (above eastbound lanes), tc jester right at white oak bayou (above northbound), and antoine just north of I-10 (also above northbound).  no idea why you'd have boards apparently moving away from the nearby freeway.

On 6/23/2021 at 2:31 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I noticed that there is a new traffic information sign installed near the Sonic on Shepherd. The kind of sign that Transtar or Metro can change the message, like 20 minutes to I-45, or whatever. 

This plays into my fears that Shepherd between 610 and I-45 is going to become more and more an alternative to I-45. Add to the fact that the I-45 expansion is slowing down, perhaps to a halt, I could see TxDOT pushing more traffic to Shepherd.

I realize this is an old post, but they just dropped one of these on TC Jester, off I-10 and over the hill of the train tracks, and it’s only visible from one direction because of trees. And that road isn’t ever going to be some massive thoroughfare. It’s a mile shortcut from I-10 to 610. I think they’re just putting in more video boards. 

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

others that i know of: woodway just W of 610 (above eastbound lanes), tc jester right at white oak bayou (above northbound), and antoine just north of I-10 (also above northbound).  no idea why you'd have boards apparently moving away from the nearby freeway.

Well fuck me for responding without finishing the thread. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

According to the HAIF message board, the former Down House at 18th and Yale will be the site for an upcoming third location of Goode Company Cantina.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/46952-1801-yale-st/

Half of my friends call this chain Good company and the other half Goody Company. I’m on the Good side of the fence. What’s the company call themselves?

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Half of my friends call this chain Good company and the other half Goody Company. I’m on the Good side of the fence. What’s the company call themselves?

Do you mean pronounce it one way or the other? Because if you're talking about the actual name, none of you are right.

https://www.goodecompany.com/

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Then you are correct. "Good." What kind of idiot friends do you have that see Goode and think "Goody"?

Yes, I thought less of them when I’ve heard that but it also made me question whether I had been saying it wrong all these years. I assume it’s a family name and sometimes people say their own names incorrectly, imho.

11 hours ago, Mez2 said:

And, apparently another chicken tender place on ella.

I will say i am eagerly awaiting for la calle to open up. Love the one downtown

Looking forward to La Calle as well, but no interior work had been done the last time I passed by, which seems to be pretty commonplace these days. A "coming soon" sign will go up and then absolutely no construction happens for 6 months or a year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:08 PM, Storm the Field said:

Dang Pat, just saw the Great Heights post about the Wakefield construction project getting underway. That's gonna be quite an annoyance.

Ugh, it has begun. Area around my house is a total shitshow in the mornings between 7:30-8:30.

St. Rose drop off line totally backs up Brinkman. GOMM drop off line snarls both 38th and Sue Barnett and sends a lot of cut through traffic down 39th. 

Corners of Wakefield and Alba were all getting torn up by heavy equipment this morning with lanes closed and flaggers directing traffic.

In other swell news, it looks like they've finally started the giant pain in the ass re-configurations of Shepherd and Durham. Currently beginning work on the sections that run more or less from St. Thomas HS to Washington, but will eventually continue on north through the Heights all the way to 610. 

Fun 5+ years of traffic ahead.

552607a76233afbed9af0b1120d55f1d_shepdur

Edited by Storm the Field

• 2 weeks later...
D'Alba, the new restaurant in the old GOOF Liberty Kitchen opened this past weekend. Saw a bunch of people sitting out on the patio when I drove by yesterday at lunch time. 

stupid name, but they did a ton of work to improve the outdoor seating. looks pretty nice. i live about 200 yards from there, so i’ll probably check it out this week.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:37 PM, patrickdrinksbeer said:

This hits close to home because I played on that field.........in 1978.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, Pancho said:

Still no update on what they are going to do with that Sears?

Still owned by a REIT (Seritage) and still 'For Lease'.

My bet is that it will get sold and redeveloped... like everything else on Shepherd.

It would be easy for Target to make it into a Super-Target and keep the retro style... but my guess is someone will put a mixed-use high-rise there. It's a funky 11 acre patch, so it will need some creativity.

• 1 month later...

cross posted on beer thread…

Mark Saturday November 13 in your calendars for the Great Heights Brewing anniversary party.

Beer releases:
•Fourth Anniversary Ale (Imperial Milk Stout aged 16 months in bourbon barrels and finished on a custom
blend from Katz Coffee, 14.2%; draft and cans)
•Bourbon Legend 2021 (English Barleywine aged 13 months in bourbon barrels, 14.3%; draft and cans)
•Maple Bourbon Legend (one off version of Bourbon Legend aged in a barrel that held bourbon followed by maple syrup; draft only)
•Fruited Fruity Pellets (our flagship hazy IPA with actual fruit purée added; draft only)

Other draft treats:
•Bourbon Legend 2018
•Third Anniversary Barrel Aged Strong Ale

We’ll have Bourbon Legend branded Teku glassware and 4th Anniversary commemorative glasses.

Live music outside from 11am-9pm.

Couple different food vendors.

Should be a good time!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Roundup of some upcoming dining and drinking spots in the Heights/GOOF that will be new for 2022.

Becks Prime recently moved out of their location at 19th and Yale. A popular east coast coffee and breakfast/lunch chain called Bluestone Lane is moving in.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-03-21-bluestone-new-coffee-shop-cafe-australian-heights/#slide=0

Mellow Mushroom vacated their spot at 20th and Shepherd and are being replaced by another pizza chain with several locations in the burbs.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-15-21-crust-pizza-co-new-location-the-heights-n-shepherd-drive/

A concept called "411 Sports Bar & Grill" is apparently slated for the vacant Bernie's Burger Bus at 22nd and Yale. 

A craft beer bar called The Upside Pub is taking over the former Shepherd Park Draught House/Tres Amigos spot at 34th and Shepherd.

A small Szechuan restaurant called "Sichuan Pepper Express" is opening soon next door to Salata in the strip center across from GO Baptist.

No recent updates on some of the stuff that was supposed to open in 2021. I presume Grease Monkey (former Petrol Station) is on indefinite hold due to Wakefield construction. Still no construction activity going on for any of the announced tenants at Stomping Grounds on 34th the last few times I've driven by. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 9:52 PM, patrickdrinksbeer said:

@mez2

let me know when the next cook-off planning gets going. i’d love to sponsor a team or teams.

ODC just announced this week, the cookoff is back on for January 28- 29th.

Myself along with a few others are planning on entering, this is always a fun event and cant recommend enough. Good times and looking forward to it 

27 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

ODC just announced this week, the cookoff is back on for January 28- 29th.

Myself along with a few others are planning on entering, this is always a fun event and cant recommend enough. Good times and looking forward to it 

In. The weather was miserable at the last one, but it was a good time.