Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

On 6/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, Storm the Field said:

Mystery sushi restaurant

A local sushi operator that has yet to be named will open a Japanese restaurant this fall. The concept will have a full bar and a mezzanine for private dining.

Just saw this update on HAIF:

Instead of Sora Sushi, the name of the sushi restaurant coming soon to Stomping Grounds (1223 W 34th St, Ste C-500) is Himari.

The owners of the restaurant are the same: the team behind Handies Douzo, Kokoro, and Aiko.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, Storm the Field said:

That location is now a Hungry Farmer. Soul food chain that also has some BBQ items (chopped beef, ribs...etc). A poster on the Heights Foodies FB group had a rave review today. Their oxtail special on the weekends looks like something I would enjoy. Might actually check them out one day.

Lots of people on FB are idiots, obviously. 

On 7/10/2022 at 1:09 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I checked out Hungry Farmer and ordered the standard of a brisket/links plate. Overall I will give them an C+ grade and would be willing to give them another opportunity. The default drenching the brisket in sauce started off bad to me, but then I realized the brisket was fairly dry so it needed extra bbq sauce. I’m not anti-sauce but I like to decide how much to apply. I also not a fan of thinly sliced brisket.

The links were good and I would give them an A+ on the sides. For the bbq restaurants in the area I’ve frequented I would set them above gabbys, behind demeris and way behind Gatlins.

With the BBQ situation in Houston as it stands today, Gaitlins is literally the floor of anything I would even consider eating. I've been watching that place get a "renovation" every day for a couple months now. It still looks like shit, has a bad name, and I assume sucks, and so far everything folks are saying seems to support that last part. With zero supporting evidence, I'm convinced that literally it's the same folks or family members of the last place that invested the bare minimum in a facelift in hopes of turning their shitty investment around somehow. 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:26 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Demeris brisket baked potato is good. Fight me. 

Their brisket baked potato is tasty but I think they toss in a few Valium pills because I’m usually down for the count for the next 3-4 hours.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:35 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

I used to eat Demeris sometimes, that’s how bad Houston BBQ used to be. 

I don’t assign demeris as a destination for a bbq plate but nothing wrong with demeris. And I give them credit that they have a good setup (610 location) and plenty of staff. Some people seemingly like to wait an hour+ in line for their favorite bbq but there is something to be said about a place that moves the line. I probably hit up demeris a few times per year and not ashamed in the least to say it.

Wakefield is finally open both ways from Shepherd to Ella for the first time in nearly a year.

Will be really nice when they finish the sidewalks and people can go to the bars and breweries without having to walk in the street. Curious to see if the Petrol Station replacement will actually plan to finally open this Fall now that it's accessible.

28 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

only because a frustrated business owner literally turned the barricade at alba and moved each individual barrel out of the road about 10 days ago.

That was you? LOL, I was wondering why the barrels were only moved out of the way up to Great Heights earlier in the week. I guess they got the message and moved the rest on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates on stuff I've mentioned previously.

Mellow Mushroom vacated their spot at 20th and Shepherd and are being replaced by another pizza chain with several locations in the burbs.

Crust Pizza opens the weekend after next on 8/20. 

The Upside Pub
Coming this summer to the former Tres Amigos space in Garden Oaks, this bar aims to be a casual, come-as-you-are spot for beer, food, and cocktails. Look for an eclectic menu that includes housemade queso and chicken wings along with items that draw on the couple's roots in New Jersey and California such as shrimp rolls and burritos. Co-owner Paige Lujan will curate the bar’s 15 taps of craft beer.

Grand opening is next Tuesday, 8/9. 

Cherry Block Craft Butcher and Kitchen

On pace for a July opening, this casual steakhouse in Garden Oaks’ Stomping Grounds development will expand on what Cherry Block offered at Bravery Chef Hall with an wider array of dishes made with Texas-raised meats as well as a beverage program curated by owner Felix Florez, who once worked as a sommelier at Brennan’s of Houston

Based on their most recent IG posts, I can't imagine it'll be more than 2 weeks or so until they're open.

Dinette
The team behind Hando is working on this Vietnamese restaurant that will open in the same Heights shopping center as Crawfish Cafe later this summer.

This place opened a week ago and I've seen some very positive reviews. Some more upscale options than your typical Vietnamese cafe. 

The Upside Pub
Coming this summer to the former Tres Amigos space in Garden Oaks, this bar aims to be a casual, come-as-you-are spot for beer, food, and cocktails. Look for an eclectic menu that includes housemade queso and chicken wings along with items that draw on the couple's roots in New Jersey and California such as shrimp rolls and burritos. Co-owner Paige Lujan will curate the bar’s 15 taps of craft beer.

Had lunch at the Upside Pub yesterday as part of an industry soft open/training shift. Paige is really cool and the menu is fun. It will be a nice Petrol replacement for me.
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Some updates on stuff I've mentioned previously.

Crust Pizza opens the weekend after next on 8/20. 

Grand opening is next Tuesday, 8/9. 

Based on their most recent IG posts, I can't imagine it'll be more than 2 weeks or so until they're open.

This place opened a week ago and I've seen some very positive reviews. Some more upscale options than your typical Vietnamese cafe. 

Fuck yeah Crust! 

50 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

I loved shepherd draught house when it was here, eagerly looking forward to this new spot. My buddy told me barking pig is no longer so this may be a replacement for us

Barking Pig is no longer? Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post, but the owner had been positing about the renovations she’s been doing and being ready to open this past week with a new menu and such. Maybe your friend was confused but I believe they only closed temporarily. 

Barking Pig is no longer? Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post, but the owner had been positing about the renovations she’s been doing and being ready to open this past week with a new menu and such. Maybe your friend was confused but I believe they only closed temporarily. 

they ordered beer from us this past week. don’t have any inside info, but probably wouldn’t order if they were shutting down.

My bad, I believe BP pivoted away from a neighborhood bar to more of a restaurant, from what I was told  steakhouse type of venue. This is coming from one of the waitresses we've come to be friendly with over the years and what my buddy told me. It's still open but maybe not the damr barking pig I've come to love from the past 

You're paying for location when going to 8 row flint. Don't their drinks basically start at $12? Domestic beers $6-7. That adds up quickly unless you stop at a few bud lights.

Different topic but I'm seeing inflation quickly flow through restaurants and bar costs now. Probably the only way they can be fully staffed.

EDIT: I checked out 8 Row Flint's menu after I wrote the above. Maybe a bit pretentious?    "Bud Light / American Adjunct Lager / 4.2%"

A bar has to describe what a bud light is? Especially a type of beer that I've never heard of in my 53 years?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Welp, the Shepherd/Durham overhaul is fully underway in the Heights. Currently down to 2 lanes between 15th and 20th. Will eventually replace all underground infrastructure, widen sidewalks, convert from 4 narrow lanes to 3 wide lanes and fully re-pave all the way from 10 to 610.

Project is broken up into multiple sub-phases, each with an estimated 12-14 months for completion. I'll take the over. They've been working on the portion of Shepherd from Memorial to Washington for a good year and a half now and still appear to have a ways left to go.

Phase 1A: 15th to 20th, estimated completion summer 2023.

Phase 1B: 20th to 24th.

Phase 1C: 24th to 610.

Phase 2 will cover 14th to I-10, but probably won't get underway until 2025 or so and will be broken up into segments like phase 1.

Between this and the 11th street project, driving around the Heights is gonna suck for a good chunk of this decade.

19 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Welp, the Shepherd/Durham overhaul is fully underway in the Heights. Currently down to 2 lanes between 15th and 20th. Will eventually replace all underground infrastructure, widen sidewalks, convert from 4 narrow lanes to 3 wide lanes and fully re-pave all the way from 10 to 610.

Project is broken up into multiple sub-phases, each with an estimated 12-14 months for completion. I'll take the over. They've been working on the portion of Shepherd from Memorial to Washington for a good year and a half now and still appear to have a ways left to go.

Phase 1A: 15th to 20th, estimated completion summer 2023.

Phase 1B: 20th to 24th.

Phase 1C: 24th to 610.

Phase 2 will cover 14th to I-10, but probably won't get underway until 2025 or so and will be broken up into segments like phase 1.

Between this and the 11th street project, driving around the Heights is gonna suck for a good chunk of this decade.

I pretty much avoid Shepherd and Durham now.  TC Jester, Heights Blvd or Yale get me where I need to go when heading N/S. 

A chunk of 20th is also shut down right now, outside of Cedar Creek, so I have to go to 19th to head east. 

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I agree that avoiding Shepherd and Durham is the  right move. 

It's down 2 lanes, but sometimes 3 if the construction guys decide to stand in the other lane and block traffic right around Kin Dee. I feel about for some of those Shepherd businesses right now. 

Edited by Js1

Some big redevelopments coming to the northern parts of the Heights. 

Looks like most of the 26th/27th block between Shepherd and Durham has been bought by a developer, with plans to build an 8-story apartment complex with street-level retail. 

RIP Throughgood Coffee.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/48383-heights-26th-8-story-multifamily-with-retail/

Also, construction is supposed to start next month on a new mixed-use building at corner of 19th and Yale (rendering below), where the old SandDollar thrift shop sits.

View+3+No+Graphics+v2.png?format=1500w

Edited by Storm the Field

On 8/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Heights blvd is the slowest fucking street in the Heights.

yale is now the only north-south answer

I have little hope for ever seeing a decent north-south road in the Heights again with the future contraction of Shepherd and Durham. I hope I'm wrong and somehow the rebuilt streets can handle more traffic than today but I don't see how. It also doesn't help that developers are determined to create more multi-family structures which doesn't help traffic either.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:49 PM, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Had lunch at the Upside Pub yesterday as part of an industry soft open/training shift. Paige is really cool and the menu is fun. It will be a nice Petrol replacement for me.

Wife and I tried Upside Pub on Thursday night. Food was good. Patty melt was very tasty and their latke balls are a unique appetizer you don't see on many menus. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have little hope for ever seeing a decent north-south road in the Heights again with the future contraction of Shepherd and Durham. I hope I'm wrong and somehow the rebuilt streets can handle more traffic than today but I don't see how. It also doesn't help that developers are determined to create more multi-family structures which doesn't help traffic either.

There is no hope.  You just have to pick your poison.  Heights Blvd. is slow, Yale has no turn lane, Shepherd/Durham sucks balls right now, TC Jester is okay. Studewood is slow and has the wonky traffic depending on time of day and what direction can use the middle lane (if that still exists).  

I'd still rather deal with Heights Blvd. than touch Shepherd/Durham right now between 11th and 20th. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Studewood is slow and has the wonky traffic depending on time of day and what direction can use the middle lane (if that still exists).  

I believe the middle lane is more of a turn lane now, and they definitely have created barriers to prevent you from driving in that lane for the full distance.

The north-south corridors are so bad now, I actually consider 610 as an alternative. <shudder>

On 8/15/2022 at 9:52 AM, Storm the Field said:

Some big redevelopments coming to the northern parts of the Heights. 

Looks like most of the 26th/27th block between Shepherd and Durham has been bought by a developer, with plans to build an 8-story apartment complex with street-level retail. 

RIP Throughgood Coffee.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/48383-heights-26th-8-story-multifamily-with-retail/

Also, construction is supposed to start next month on a new mixed-use building at corner of 19th and Yale (rendering below), where the old SandDollar thrift shop sits.

View+3+No+Graphics+v2.png?format=1500w

I was wondering what was up with the Soul Taco spot when I hit it up a few weeks back. I thought they just weren't open that morning. 

3 minutes ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

in other news, I saw a sign go up announcing that the shithole property nextdoor to the carwash on Ella is going to be a carwash.  Which is just down the street from another soon-to-be carwash, and across the street from where they tore down another carwash.  Carwash is the new banks  

I've been laughing at this for months myself. Oddly enough, I was at that intersection yesterday and it finally clicked for me that it's got to the the same guys who own Burger Joint and Taco Stand by the name.

THE Car Wash. THE Burger Joint. THE Taco Stand. I think those guys are just buying up real estate. Hell, give you a 10% discount at one of our restaurants while you wait for your car to get cleaned. Not a bad business model. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've been laughing at this for months myself. Oddly enough, I was at that intersection yesterday and it finally clicked for me that it's got to the the same guys who own Burger Joint and Taco Stand by the name.

THE Car Wash. THE Burger Joint. THE Taco Stand. I think those guys are just buying up real estate. Hell, give you a 10% discount at one of our restaurants while you wait for your car to get cleaned. Not a bad business model. 

I've always thought that the car wash owner who starts selling beer in the waiting area will be lauded as a genius in the industry. You have a captive audience why not make some ancillary revenue by selling your customers a cold one while they wait for their car?

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

I've always thought that the car wash owner who starts selling beer in the waiting area will be lauded as a genius in the industry. You have a captive audience why not make some ancillary revenue by selling your customers a cold one while they wait for their car?

Eagle Car Wash down the street offers complimentary wine to it's customers. They might have beer in a fridge somewhere, I don't know. But my wife will lower herself to drinking a sutter home single while she waits, no fucks given. 

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hell yeah I’d go to Taco Stand while my car is getting washed 

34 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Interesting nugget I picked up from HAIF today. An LLC owned by Terry Black has spent the last year buying up a good chunk of the block between 13th and 14th off Shepherd.

Say hello to (most likely) the Houston location of Terry Black's BBQ.

3mr2mKK.thumb.jpg.8fdbab201da35a674b55846e49f2808b.jpg

They already announced this a year ago

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

They already announced this a year ago

They announced they were looking at opening up a Houston location, possibly in the Heights.

Permit applications filed with the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts indicate that Terry Black’s has plans to open a Houston location at 1329 Shepherd Drive. When reached for comment on Wednesday by Eater, co-owner Mark Black said that the restaurant is indeed exploring property options in Houston, but no deal has been signed just yet. In addition to the Shepherd Drive location, Black says that his team has also looked at spaces in the Heights and EaDo.

The fact that they've bought up most of a block in the Heights is a significant update, IMO. Sorry for making you read two sentences and look at a picture.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...