Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

any car wash recommendations ?

need deep clean on carpet and seats. nothing major, just needs to be done 

We like Eagle on Shepherd. Family owned neighborhood joint. But it’s not cheap, and you better get there at opening. If you want good for cheap, the big industrial wash on Ella between 610 and 34th, by all the fast food joints is good. I think my wife got her car detailed for 70 bucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

We like Eagle on Shepherd. Family owned neighborhood joint. But it’s not cheap, and you better get there at opening. If you want good for cheap, the big industrial wash on Ella between 610 and 34th, by all the fast food joints is good. I think my wife got her car detailed for 70 bucks. 

It was some time ago but i had to stop going to eagle when they were washing rubber floor mats with a brush on the asphalt and then immediately using that same brush on a car. There was zero chance that gravel and dirt weren’t being picked from the ground before they scrubbed the side of someone’s car. I had to tell the worker why that was a bad idea but they didn’t seem to care.

I left and promised myself never to return. Haven’t looked back.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

any car wash recommendations ?

need deep clean on carpet and seats. nothing major, just needs to be done 

I don’t know the name of it but there’s a car wash on Shepard that is next door to Kneally’s. Drop the car off, have a few drinks, drunk drive into the Petco across the street. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t know the name of it but there’s a car wash on Shepard that is next door to Kneally’s. Drop the car off, have a few drinks, drunk drive into the Petco across the street. 

1. kneally's pizza isn't bad at all (decent corned beef too)

2. my ex lives around the corner, im sure she misses me. hell i miss me at times

3. we could have a winner ..

Splash Hand Car Wash & Detail # 2

4.5 327 reviews

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was some time ago but i had to stop going to eagle when they were washing rubber floor mats with a brush on the asphalt and then immediately using that same brush on a car. There was zero chance that gravel and dirt weren’t being picked from the ground before they scrubbed the side of someone’s car. I had to tell the worker why that was a bad idea but they didn’t seem to care.

I left and promised myself never to return. Haven’t looked back.

Guess I’ll avoid them now too. Shame, my wife appreciated they offered free cheap wine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to go to any of the establishments on Shepherd is an absolute disaster at the moment.

Left office early on Wednesday to meet a buddy at Heights Bier Garten for a few beers before Astros game. 

Got stuck behind the longest train I've ever seen in my life. Had to have 500 cars attached to it. Sat at the light at Shepherd and Center for 11 cycles. Finally made it up to 15th and getting to HBG parking lot is a whole new level of suck. 15th street is currently down to a single lane and supposed to be a one way heading towards Durham. Of course a bunch of jackasses were blocking it going the wrong direction. Had to instead go up to 16th and U-turn. Construction equipment and workers all parked directly in front of the entrance to the parking lot, meaning I had to park in the last available spot against the fence. Took nearly 30 minutes from the time I pulled out of my office until I finally sat down. A trip that would usually take me about 6-7 minutes.

They're definitely losing business. Not nearly the crowd you'd expect on a perfect weather day before a playoff game. Hopefully they'll finally open up their new location on Washington right by my office soon. Brilliant move to not have it ready in time for a playoff run.

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Trying to go to any of the establishments on Shepherd is an absolute disaster at the moment.

Left office early on Wednesday to meet a buddy at Heights Bier Garten for a few beers before Astros game. 

Got stuck behind the longest train I've ever seen in my life. Had to have 500 cars attached to it. Sat at the light at Shepherd and Center for 11 cycles. Finally made it up to 15th and getting to HBG parking lot is a whole new level of suck. 15th street is currently down to a single lane and supposed to be a one way heading towards Durham. Of course a bunch of jackasses were blocking it going the wrong direction. Had to instead go up to 16th and U-turn. Construction equipment and workers all parked directly in front of the entrance to the parking lot, meaning I had to park in the last available spot against the fence. Took nearly 30 minutes from the time I pulled out of my office until I finally sat down. A trip that would usually take me about 6-7 minutes.

They're definitely losing business. Not nearly the crowd you'd expect on a perfect weather day before a playoff game. Hopefully they'll finally open up their new location on Washington right by my office soon. Brilliant move to not have it ready in time for a playoff run.

Been to Worcesters like 20 times. I always park in the neighborhood off of Dorothy. Youre welcome

my wife's clinic is shutting down their height location and moving everything to their new offices off sherwood and tc jester - it was next door to Heights Beirgarten but the construction is a bitch there. fortunately, i can still get to alma okay 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

A few more ugly vestiges of the Shepherd Used Car District are going bye-bye. Developer recently bought up most of the block of 16th fronting Shepherd along with a building on 17th, currently occupied by an auto repair/inspection garage,  a car lot, and a cross-fit gym.

16th.thumb.jpeg.27416893b4ad1f3bceaed35ff69e6118.jpeg

I've wondered how much longer the Kroger center at 11th and Shepherd and the dilapidated apartments just south facing Durham. That's a big piece of land that seems ripe for redevelopment. 

Now that I qualify as a long term owner in the area, I'm disappointed in the rise of the 8 ft privacy fences. (to be clear, everyone has the right to do what they want)

When I moved in, many of the homes had 3 ft chain link fencing. I had the luxury of standing in my background with the ability to look down 7-8 homes before hitting a privacy fence. The block had a wide open feel to it. Basically seemed like I lived on a couple of acres in central Houston.  Before anyone asks, there were 0 neighbors that anyone would want to spy on.

Now the default is that before someone moves in, the chain link has to go, replaced with 8 ft of cedar planks. Privacy fences aren't even private when everyone is building a 2 storey home. I also think it decreases home security when you block visibility into your backyard.

We're living in a sea of shoe boxes with the top off.

43 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Now that I qualify as a long term owner in the area, I'm disappointed in the rise of the 8 ft privacy fences. (to be clear, everyone has the right to do what they want)

When I moved in, many of the homes had 3 ft chain link fencing. I had the luxury of standing in my background with the ability to look down 7-8 homes before hitting a privacy fence. The block had a wide open feel to it. Basically seemed like I lived on a couple of acres in central Houston.  Before anyone asks, there were 0 neighbors that anyone would want to spy on.

Now the default is that before someone moves in, the chain link has to go, replaced with 8 ft of cedar planks. Privacy fences aren't even private when everyone is building a 2 storey home. I also think it decreases home security when you block visibility into your backyard.

We're living in a sea of shoe boxes with the top off.

I'm sorry, are you lamenting not having a yard in a neighborhood filled with chain link fences? Well...that's a new one.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well my hands are pretty greasy from all the fried chicken on that block

we need to focus here, is layne's any good ?

Ive hit that cane's many times on a late night. it's clutch when having a drunk chick with you. great tea too but they need white gravy and dessert on the menu 

Edited by tx 3 putt

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, Storm the Field said:

The proliferation of bars and breweries on Wakefield has now spread to Judiway. There's a new "neighborhood patio bar" called The Canary under construction behind Walking Stick, next door to Bayou City Crossfit. 

https://www.instagram.com/thecanaryhou/

This place is apparently getting somewhat close to opening. They had a post on their IG today about sending out mailers with their planned daily specials.

Canary.jpg.34fd934713fb83bc418d337cf2bb4e15.jpg

All day HH with $3 beers on Wednesday might be worth checking out.

This place is apparently getting somewhat close to opening. They had a post on their IG today about sending out mailers with their planned daily specials.
Canary.jpg.34fd934713fb83bc418d337cf2bb4e15.jpg

All day HH with $3 beers on Wednesday might be worth checking out.

walked by it today and it sure doesn’t look like it is anywhere close to opening.

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Wtf Washington Ave …

3C0B62F0-0451-4955-B9A6-CBA36AC5E4F3.jpeg

They've finally reached the Washington intersection on the 18-month long construction they've been doing on Shepherd and Durham stretching from St. Thomas HS to Washington. Putting in new signal lights, crosswalks and re-doing the curbs on the corners. This is SUPPOSED to be the final phase of that particular project. 

https://www.engagehouston.org/shepherdanddurham

I used to always take Durham south from GO all the way to Washington to get to my office in the mornings, but I'm strictly Yale/Heights now until they finish messing with the intersection.

Edited by Storm the Field

Shameless plug for your favorite GOOF area BBQ Cook-Off coming in a couple of weeks at Oaks Dads Club off 34th and TC Jester. 

https://www.odcsports.com/2023bbqcookoff?fbclid=IwAR17S4VrPs3pdXPPTLNaXU1k7lkFBpjls2M8Bo8H06SRTWzhIxVrvCbmyQE

Some of you probably know I am pretty involved with this organization with my son's baseball teams and have really seen this program grow over the past few years. This is always one of the best weekends of the year and everyone is invited out - unlike last years event, this is a 2 night event, so things will get pretty crazy on back to back nights. Feel free to sign up a team, or just by and hang out with everyone. Friday night is usually BYBO and Saturday St Arnolds usually comes out with free beer, but there won't be a lack of alcohol and decent BBQ. 

@ERhine myself and @rtchorn along with a few others have a 20x40 set up. Expecting @UTPhil2006 @mycox @Slacks @Ldogg53 to also swing by. @tx 3 putt can show up, but he's gotta bring some hoes. 

• Hook 'Em 3