Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

i’ll be on the judging panel for a few categories

Swing by the Team Holy Wolf tent, we'll be the ones showing off our previous medals and trophies including beans, brisket, 3rd grade reading achievement and 2nd grade perfect attendance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, gmr548 said:

T-Bones has a good reputation. I’ve only been once and it was early in the season so nothing to write home about.

shhhhh

On 11/10/2022 at 4:50 PM, Js1 said:

Why is Halal Guys becoming a Layne’s when Cane’s is directly across Ella?

Oh yeah and KFC and a Popeyes right there. Fat ass corner 

don't forget dream wings.  we got that chicken here man

On 1/13/2023 at 8:21 AM, Mez2 said:

Shameless plug for your favorite GOOF area BBQ Cook-Off coming in a couple of weeks at Oaks Dads Club off 34th and TC Jester. 

https://www.odcsports.com/2023bbqcookoff?fbclid=IwAR17S4VrPs3pdXPPTLNaXU1k7lkFBpjls2M8Bo8H06SRTWzhIxVrvCbmyQE

Some of you probably know I am pretty involved with this organization with my son's baseball teams and have really seen this program grow over the past few years. This is always one of the best weekends of the year and everyone is invited out - unlike last years event, this is a 2 night event, so things will get pretty crazy on back to back nights. Feel free to sign up a team, or just by and hang out with everyone. Friday night is usually BYBO and Saturday St Arnolds usually comes out with free beer, but there won't be a lack of alcohol and decent BBQ. 

@ERhine myself and @rtchorn along with a few others have a 20x40 set up. Expecting @UTPhil2006 @mycox @Slacks @Ldogg53 to also swing by. @tx 3 putt can show up, but he's gotta bring some hoes. 

whatever happened to the drama about who owned the ballpark? 

Heights BierGarten's new location on Washington looks like they finally had their friends and family soft opening this weekend. I imagine they'll be open to the public imminently. Work buddies and I have been waiting on this for well over a year now. It will be about a 4 minute walk from our office. Hoping they'll have as good of a daily happy hour as the original. 

Perhaps it's not the first, but it caught my attention that there's a >$2m listing in GO right now.  https://www.har.com/zipcode_77018/realestate/for_sale?subdivisions=garden oaks&sort=listprice desc&view=list

to be clear, my house is nowhere near that level. I'm on the much lower side if I listed mine.

Perhaps it's not the first, but it caught my attention that there's a >$2m listing in GO right now.  https://www.har.com/zipcode_77018/realestate/for_sale?subdivisions=garden oaks&sort=listprice desc&view=list
to be clear, my house is nowhere near that level. I'm on the much lower side if I listed mine.

$2M dollar listing and not a single photo of the house.

Looks like the new takeout-only location of Bollo Woodfired Pizza will be open at Stomping Grounds very soon. I've never eaten there, but have heard great reviews of their main location in Upper Kirby. Appears you can either order online or at a kiosk in the store. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn-8fEdAsoW/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Dang, the old Hubcap Grill on 19th had its final weekend of operations. I read that the property owner sold it and the adjacent lot out to a developer. Guess with all the bars and apartments going up on 19th, the land just became too valuable.

Rumor of a Torchys. We will riot, we don’t need that crap. There’s one down the street 

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Our area chef Greg  Gatlin (bbq and fin & feather) was just named one as a James Beard semi finalist for best in Texas. Only 4 in Houston made the list.

I haven’t been to fin & feather yet. Any reviews here?

Fin and feather was trash when we went. Cant even believe its still open. A/C was shot, biscuits were burnt, food was overpriced. Location and building are…. Something. 

and they lost their chef like a month after opening. Theyll be closed by the end of the year

On 1/16/2023 at 2:55 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You might be able to up that value if you'd build an actual fence around your yard, sir, and not some chain link trash. /ducks

On 1/23/2023 at 3:54 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Anyone been ?

5ABFDEC4-1811-468D-A993-66628612A9AD.jpeg

I can't speak to their crawfish, but I can say that place sucks. And my wife and I would go to Barking Pig about once a month. I realize it's the same owner, but the food is pretty meeeeeeh. I ordered a filet and the gave me a cut that was...not a filet. 

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You might be able to up that value if you'd build an actual fence around your yard, sir, and not some chain link trash. /ducks

I will always stand behind the idea that GO was better when we had fewer privacy fences.  but I have privacy fences 2 of the 3 sides on my backyard too.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more neighborhood restaurant news.

Reel Seafood, a Viet Cajun seafood joint, is relocating from Missouri City to Timbergrove. Going in next door to Kings Bierhaus and Egghaus. Opens up next weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/reelseafoodhtx/

A bunch of Stomping Grounds updates:

Bollo Pizza is either in their soft opening phase or will be very soon. 

Pho Fix, a Vietnamese cafe, has posted a couple times over the last few weeks about their first brick and mortar location getting closer and closer. 

https://www.instagram.com/thephofix/

Himari, a sushi bar from the owners of Handies Duozo and Aiko, recently updated their IG page. "Coming Soon." 

https://www.instagram.com/himarihtx/

And finally, the new home of Sonoma Wine Bar is under major construction in the little annex building out at the front of the property.

https://www.instagram.com/sonomagardenoaks/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

still waiting…

Hah. 

Drove by this morning on way home from the Y. Construction crews still there working. Last time I took a peak inside, the interior still needed a lot of work. Can't imagine they'll be open before end of Summer.

Looks like they're actually doing a BBQ pop-up on Sunday and serving drinks out on their patio. First thing they've posted on their account in a long time. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csl9gTeJxNd/

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Hah. 

Drove by this morning on way home from the Y. Construction crews still there working. Last time I took a peak inside, the interior still needed a lot of work. Can't imagine they'll be open before end of Summer.

Looks like they're actually doing a BBQ pop-up on Sunday and serving drinks out on their patio. First thing they've posted on their account in a long time. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csl9gTeJxNd/

Wasn't this the place that was building a small splash pool? Haven't seen the pool work start yet the last time I was around there. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 3:30 PM, Storm the Field said:

Braun is re-developing the Sheet Metal Training Center into a retail/dining strip.

Bruan.thumb.jpg.a1dbaff4c805223f8669ab04084a0186.jpg

Almost 2 year later update. Property owner says the place is 100% leased.

At least 1 future tenant has been ID'd based on construction permitting. Skiptown, a  pet boarding/grooming facility with an outdoor bar and playground area will be starting construction later this year at 900 W 34th. I'm assuming the bar area will be in the parking lot behind the building, next to that new apartment complex that's going up on Brinkman. 

https://skiptown.io/

Just saw an article that the owners of La Mexicana are taking over the spot of the extremely-short-lived Cherry Block at Stomping Grounds.

IIRC, "La Mex" was originally planning to open up in the spot where Sunday Press is at 34th and Ella, but that fell through during Covid.

Tentatively set for a September opening.

Edited by Storm the Field

46 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Just saw an article that the owners of La Mexicana are taking over the spot of the extremely-short-lived Cherry Block at Stomping Grounds.

IIRC, "La Mex" was originally planning to open up in the spot where Sunday Press is at 34th and Ella, but that fell through during Covid.

That's awesome...

We are at La Mex almost every weekend for breakfast/brunch/hangover cures.

They should do well over there.

16 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Cherry block was legitimately the worst bbq I’ve ever paid for.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

As a GO resident I have mixed feelings about Fisher and Wakefield turning into a full-fledged entertainment district. I haven't been a big visitor to the current places and I wouldn't want to live next door to what is being built up on 19th and 20th.  I don't live literally next door to Fisher/Wakefield but close enough.  /old man rant

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As a GO resident I have mixed feelings about Fisher and Wakefield turning into a full-fledged entertainment district. I haven't been a big visitor to the current places and I wouldn't want to live next door to what is being built up on 19th and 20th.  I don't live literally next door to Fisher/Wakefield but close enough.  /old man rant

As someone that lives down the street, but far enough away to not have people parking around me, I love having a block of hangout spots just a 10 minute walk away. Big fan of D'Alba but would love to see more dining options in the hood. (Sidenote: somebody's gotta finally shit or get off the pot in regards to Petrol Station). 

Will be really nice when they give the portion of Wakefield between Alba and Sue Barnett the same treatment as the section between Alba and Golf and install sidewalks. Right now, if I don't want to walk in the street for a quarter mile, I have to take a detour down either Judiway or Fisher.

On 7/13/2023 at 11:03 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You're, what, a few hundred yards from that train line? And it's the restaurants/bars that bother you? I'm up by 43rd but I can hear it clearly, and I play basketball right off the train line; it shakes the entire gym. I don't know how y'all live down there.

Besides, isn't access to that sort of thing why you pay the premium to live in GO/OF, which is otherwise a pretty cookie cutter suburban neighborhood?

On 7/13/2023 at 12:44 PM, Storm the Field said:

install sidewalks. 

Sir, this is a Wendy's Houston.

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

You're, what, a few hundred yards from that train line? And it's the restaurants/bars that bother you? I'm up by 43rd but I can hear it clearly, and I play basketball right off the train line; it shakes the entire gym. I don't know how y'all live down there.

Besides, isn't access to that sort of thing why you pay the premium to live in GO/OF, which is otherwise a pretty cookie cutter suburban neighborhood?

Sir, this is a Wendy's Houston.

Hey man, I'm in Timbergrove. We have sidewalks. Of course, Lazybook doesn't...So I assume it's a neighborhood's choice? Good luck fundraising. 

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Saw this on Reddit. Mytiburger is struggling. I think I only ate there once years ago when I lived in OF. I seem to recall either a poster on the old site, or a close friend of a poster owns it.

Went kinda viral yesterday. Got posted in a bunch of FB groups and a huge crowd showed up yesterday evening.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

almost 10 months later, still waiting.

LOL. Last post on their IG was about 7 weeks ago. Video update of construction progress through end of July.  Still had some work to do, but the inside looked like it couldn't have more than a few weeks remaining. Haven't walked by in a while, but last time I did there were a bunch of guys working in the backyard pool area. Not a clue when they plan to actually open. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 3:41 PM, Storm the Field said:

La Mex should be open at Stomping Grounds within the next 2 weeks, per a post yesterday on their IG page. Perfect timing with the weather finally cooling down in the near future. Looking forward to some hangover brunches with a michelada outdoors.

On 8/17/2023 at 7:54 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Saw this on Reddit. Mytiburger is struggling. I think I only ate there once years ago when I lived in OF. I seem to recall either a poster on the old site, or a close friend of a poster owns it.

Mytiburger obviously lasted a long time but I question how successful they could continue to be with that location. I look to Miller's Cafe on Shepherd when I want a burger. 

• 1 month later...
I've expressed this before, but that sign is an amazing piece of design and needs to be kept.
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 2 months later...

Shameless bump for everyone's favorite local, community barbecue cookoff.

This weekend is the annual Oaks Dad's Club BBQ Cookoff, taking place Friday night through Saturday. If you're around and free, this is always a fun event to come out to with, or without the family. This will be a rain or shine event and already making plans to move the cook teams off the wet areas into parking lots. Myself, along with others on here will be competing so come out, grab a beer or 3 and have a good time. Always looking for sponsors or people who wanna donate a worthy cause.  

3Putts invited too, only if he brings a mail order bride. 

https://www.odcsports.com/2024bbqcookoff