The London Jaguars?

Hurtlocker

SIAP

Shahid Khan in Wembley Stadium Sale Talks; Possible Jaguars Move Reported

Excerpt:

According to James Olley of the Evening Standard, Khan may make an offer in excess of £500 million (likely over $700 million) for Wembley.

"The games the Jaguars play at Wembley are essential to the financial stability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville, which is one of the smallest markets in the NFL. If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars' position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. "

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm all for it because what even is Jacksonville? It has to be one of the most forgettable cities in America. 

It's the largest city in Florida by population and the largest city in the continental USA by land area!

53 minutes ago, DigDug said:

I'm for it as well, and the name Jaguars would also play well in the UK.  Hopefully it's contingent on burning those hideous uniforms and dumping those ridiculous helmets ceremonially into the ocean. 

You're in luck, because they have new uniforms and helmets this year.

fuuyjd.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm all for it because what even is Jacksonville? It has to be one of the most forgettable cities in America. 

The oddity that Jacksonville even has an NFL team over more deserving cities as San Antonio/ Portland/ Salt Lake City or Oklahoma City seems really silly anyway... #GoLondon..!

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The NFL seems determined to have a franchise in London. Won't jet lag be a real competitive issue?

Not with one game per week... (I also like the idea of Mexico City & Toronto both getting an NFL team)...

27 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The NFL seems determined to have a franchise in London. Won't jet lag be a real competitive issue?

I don't see how it could be anything but a competitive issue, but it may be the Jags themselves at a disadvantage..

They'll have to make several transatlantic flights each season while opponents scheduled only do it once.

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm surprised Toronto isn't first in line. I know the Argonauts don't have the best attendance, but it's the CFL.

I think there is some stipulation with a team being too near either Buffalo or the CFL team in the city, but either way the NFL has the ability to work that out...

37 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But I must admit I'm intrigued by the product promotional tie-in posibilities with the name Jaguar.  Just imagine, they could have Tom Hiddleston, Mark Strong, and Sir Ben freaking Kingsley pimping for their team!

I have no idea who any of these people are.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It just seems that games against west coast teams, either in London or on the west coast, would be an issue for the traveling team.

Ohh, I'm not saying it would not have an effect, but if the team arrived on say Wednesday or Thursday for a Sunday game, there should be no real issue there...

54 minutes ago, ousux said:

I don't see how it could be anything but a competitive issue, but it may be the Jags themselves at a disadvantage..

They'll have to make several transatlantic flights each season while opponents scheduled only do it once.

I think the league would have to look into block scheduling for them.  3 games at home, then 3 on the road..etc..or something like that.

And set up a good locale in the states for them to stay and train on the American block weeks.

1 minute ago, DigDug said:

I think the league would have to look into block scheduling for them.  3 games at home, then 3 on the road..etc..or something like that.

And set up a good locale in the states for them to stay and train on the American block weeks.

Maybe even Jacksonville.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, DigDug said:

Yup, all of that.  And work in their bye week in a thoughtful manner as well, to help with the travel.

Also, some divisional realignment would really help.  Wishful thinking because it would break up some pretty good existing rivalries, but an ideal place for them could be in the AFC East, instead of Miami.  Then their divisional road games would all be East Coast trips to New York and Boston.

6 minutes ago, Amobie said:

It doesn't really matter to the NFC teams that only have to travel there once every 8 years, but that REALLY sucks for their divisional opponents.  Scheduling would be a nightmare.

Maybe if the NFL stays insistent on keeping Thursday night football, which they just signed a new 5 year deal with Fox on, then they should always schedule a team on Thursday that has to trek to London the following week. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

They gonna start pronouncing Jaguar in that retarded British way?

Better than the way many people here pronounce it.   "Jag-WIRES"     Pisses me off to the highest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

No doubt Dallas gets a Sunday night in London before the game on Tday followed with a Special Edition Tuesday Night Football. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DigDug said:

Like maybe in Jacksonville?

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yup, all of that.  And work in their bye week in a thoughtful manner as well, to help with the travel.

Also, some divisional realignment would really help.  Wishful thinking because it would break up some pretty good existing rivalries, but an ideal place for them could be in the AFC East, instead of Miami.  Then their divisional road games would all be East Coast trips to New York and Boston.

AFC South: 

Houston, Nashville, Indianapolis, Miami....

2 hours ago, DigDug said:

Maybe if the NFL stays insistent on keeping Thursday night football, which they just signed a new 5 year deal with Fox on, then they should always schedule a team on Thursday that has to trek to London the following week. 

That's not a bad idea. +rep

37 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

AFC South: 

Houston, Nashville, Indianapolis, Miami....

Well it's not like London has a lot in common with Houston, Indianapolis, or Nashville either. :)

Shoe-horning a London franchise into the USA's National Football League could certainly precipitate further oddities down the line.

9 hours ago, hpslugga said:

In favor if it spreads the sport's influence to the point of elevating it to Olympic game status. Otherwise I couldn't care less where those clowns play.

Good luck with all that.  And what kind of football tournament are you going to have in 2 weeks?