2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

For many years I was lucky to get play maybe 6 times a year. I am not very good and very inconsistent. Once pandemic hit, I (like many others) started playing more often. Still not as frequently as some on here but 2-4 times a month.

I hope to carry that momentum over into 2021. Playing more often and allowed me to focus on areas of improvement. My tee shots are the stronger part of my game. 2nd/3rd shot kills me because I often top the ball. Putting always needs to improve.

Also hoping to check out some new courses.

33 minutes ago, deadshank said:

deadshank?  How did you manage to card an 8 on the par 5 6th?

I missed a 19 footer for 7. 

8 on a 5 for me is: 

Skull it off the tee box

Hit a phenomenal 2nd shot 

Miss the approach left 

Duff a chip

Chip it 30 feet past the flag

Leave a putt 12 feet short

Lip out for double

Tap in for 8

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just picking up golf again after a 15 year hiatus. My daughter (no pics) is 10000% into golf. Since buying her a new set of beginner clubs last Wednesday, she's been to the range and putting green every damned day. I'm showing her the basics of grip and swing. For her 4th session with clubs, she's got a better technical swing than many of the idiots at the range swinging driver all day. I told her she wasn't allowed to touch her woods until she could consistently hit her 7 iron 7 out of 10 shots.

I started to watch golf youtube videos and holy shit, if there was this much free instructional shit back in 2005, I would've never quit. Already taking some lessons and knowledge from the videos onto the range and am hitting my irons better than when I stopped playing years ago. I was shooting mid-high 80s when I stopped playing. I've only been on the range 3 times. I'm excited to play a course soon.

I have an old ass Taylormade R580 9.5 deg driver. Can still hit it pretty good but not consistently. It's only 400cc which was the largest head allowed at the time. Now the driver heads are 460cc, have a ton of technology to limit spin, increase spin, increase ball speed, launch angles and all the shit. Wow, now they just need to invent a mechanical shell which you insert your arms into and the thing will swing the club for you guaranteeing 320 yards off the tee and 190 yard 7 iron.

Anyway, I started to research what type of driver I need to upgrade to and stumbled on this channel. GREAT channel for gear review. Bottom line, I don't need the newest $450-500 driver. Can get a Titleist 915 D3 or maybe a D2 for under $150 and have 95% of the the newest drivers. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

these are the two other good channels that I found.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TopSpeedGolf/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/RickShielsPGAGolf/videos

Also when I quit, hybrids were starting to catch fire. Now they are pretty much the norm in that most newer high HC sets will have 5/6-PW and include 3H and 4H. Didn't want to spend a ton of money on hybrids not knowing if I'll like them so stumbled on this video. Looks like the Tour Edge C521 3H is a good value club to try out. I don't remember Tour Edge being a company in early 2000s. Are they any good? The 3H seems to perform really well in the video.

2020 was a good year for my golf game. Broke 90 for the first time and nearly broke 80. Now a so-so round is an 86-87. That was my PB in the early spring. Next up is the 70s. Gotta get back on the range much more, have been slacking the last few months and my swing is feeling all over the place

• Hook 'Em 1

Got back into it 2020 as well.  Joined a club, bought some new sticks and taking a lesson once a week to improve.  Broke 90 a couple times but can still easily throw out a 100 if the driver isn't cooperating that day (not the most forgiving course that generally requires a well placed tee shot).  Probably playing/hitting balls 3-5 times a week so hopefully will start to get it under a little more control.  

15 hours ago, huge said:

None of the "golfers" here would buy a Tour Edge but that doesn't mean that it's not a good club.  Just not a snazzy brand.

Huh? This isn't some elitist gathering of club pros here. I'd guess our average HCP is in the teens. I JUST got a new set of irons, my driver and wedges are older and the grip on my putter is close to worn out. I'm game to hit any club as long as I like where the ball lands. 

I did take a 6 year hiatus, and my bag reflects that, but I don't think everyone here is playing with a $3,000 dollar bag. 

8 hours ago, gurt said:

2020 was a good year for my golf game. Broke 90 for the first time and nearly broke 80. Now a so-so round is an 86-87. That was my PB in the early spring. Next up is the 70s. Gotta get back on the range much more, have been slacking the last few months and my swing is feeling all over the place

This is where I'm trying to get to right now. The clubs I was hitting vs the ones I have now are night and day and I hope that takes several strokes off my game. My putting is getting pretty damn good and my approach game is generally solid - just need to work on my chipping game and keeping it straight off the tee. 

I have yet to break 90 on a legit 18 but I've gotten close. Best I've done is break 40 a couple of times at the Penick 9. I'm pretty done with that course at this point, though.

17 hours ago, huge said:

None of the "golfers" here would buy a Tour Edge but that doesn't mean that it's not a good club.  Just not a snazzy brand.

I have a Titleist 3h.  It's a lot sexier than that but who knows if it is better.

Not sure if serious.gif. 

Tour edge has made some of the best 3 woods around for 15 years or so and you see them in better players bags all the time. 

Since you guys dropped the ball I had an old pro friend call and get me on the blue monster Monday with the members. Playing the silver Fox at doral on Tuesday. 

Silver Fox was one the courses I played. It was many years ago but it was very good.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:29 PM, huge said:

I have a Titleist 3h.  It's a lot sexier than that but who knows if it is better.

I still carry an Adams.

On 1/4/2021 at 1:42 PM, ztejas said:

8 on a 5 for me is: 

Skull it off the tee box

Hit a phenomenal 2nd shot 

Miss the approach left 

Duff a chip

Chip it 30 feet past the flag

Leave a putt 12 feet short

Lip out for double

Tap in for 8

See, this is me. I live on the 18th green of our golf course, and I haven't golfed in 18 months.

CHIEF

4 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Shot a lifetime record of 82 before Christmas to close out my best golf year ever.  95-104-101 to start 2021. This game just lets up.

Started my year with a shitass 96 yesterday at Forest Creek in RR. I had a hole almost to a tee of the triple bogeyed par 5 I described in this thread. Dogleg right - hit a beautiful 4 iron off the tee - 6 iron into the green - came up short left in a bunker. Couldn't have been more than 25 feet from the pin. I then go:

Out of the bunker past the flag off the green

Duffed chip

2nd chip to maybe 12 feet 

Decent effort on my first putt

Short putt for double 

Tbf - I'm not sure it ever got to 50 degrees - and our tee time was delayed an hour so I had been out there 6 hours by the time we finished.

Needless to say I was done with that shit by #18. 

Started my year with a shitass 96 yesterday at Forest Creek in RR. I had a hole almost to a tee of the triple bogeyed par 5 I described in this thread. Dogleg right - hit a beautiful 4 iron off the tee - 6 iron into the green - came up short left in a bunker. Couldn't have been more than 25 feet from the pin. I then go:
Out of the bunker past the flag off the green
Duffed chip
2nd chip to maybe 12 feet 
Decent effort on my first putt
Short putt for double 
Tbf - I'm not sure it ever got to 50 degrees - and our tee time was delayed an hour so I had been out there 6 hours by the time we finished.
Needless to say I was done with that shit by #18. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Got back into it last year after a lay off of over a decade. Been working on the game quite a bit since October. Off the tee isn’t so bad. The 2nd shot is usually what kills me. Short game has always been a strength. 

Yesterday I had 4 pitches off the green rim out or hit the flag and bounce out and I holed one from about 30 yards for a birdie. 

This weekend won't suck. Spanish bay Saturday morning,  spyglass in the afternoon and pebble Sunday morning. I've played Spanish and spy but this will be my first time at pebble. I'm guessing it will never be this cheap again in my lifetime so what the fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, gurt said:

https://drivingrangerr.com

Off greenlawn near I35&45

Very nice facility, real grass, well lit and a nice chipping area with a good sand trap.

Grass has been struggling this winter, so more sandy lies than is desirable but it’s pretty great in the growing season.

went by last night. nice facility. will definitely be back. 

• Like 1

Alright dudes, I’m calling my shot. This is the year I break 80. My best 9 last season was 39, but I followed it up with a 49 on the back. 

My two key areas of focus are iron accuracy and getting up and down from inside 35 yards. 

Edited by heso

On 1/11/2021 at 12:36 PM, pops said:

This weekend won't suck. Spanish bay Saturday morning,  spyglass in the afternoon and pebble Sunday morning. I've played Spanish and spy but this will be my first time at pebble. I'm guessing it will never be this cheap again in my lifetime so what the fuck. 

Not that anyone cares...but here is my review of the peninsula.

I had already played spanish and spy so I knew what to expect there.  Weather was stupid good.  75 and sunny on saturday with the fog rolling in for our last few holes at spyglass which was pretty cool.

Sunday at pebble was 78 with maybe 10 MPH winds and not a cloud.  It was ridiculous.

It was really cool to play at pebble.  You know all the holes (at least from 6 on) and to see it in person is pretty incredible.  8-9-10 are hard as fuck.  And you can't believe how small the greens are.  I was also surprised at how narrow the collars are.  Maybe 18 inches.

I was a little disappointed in the greens at pebble.  I know they are about 3 weeks away from the pro-am (or just pro this year) but it looked like they had punched about 3 weeks ago.  And while the holes were healed they were still a little bumpy.  No poa issues as we teed it at 8:10.

Pebble is kind of disneyland...obviously it was not very crowded this year because pretty much everything other than the golf course was closed, but man do they pump out the rounds.  

We walked pebble which is how I think that course should be played.  

I didn't love all the houses right on top of the course but I can't blame anyone for wanting to live there.

Having played all three, now, I would have to say that pebble was my least favorite.  Spanish is such a blast to play even if it isn't very hard, and 18 holes to 18 holes, spyglass is a better course in better shape (at least on this trip).  I was also surprised at the inconsistency of the bunkers at pebble..  I think i was in 4  at not one was the same.  

I'm not saying I will never play pebble again, but for standard rack rate of 575 plus 45 per man for a cart (or 90 for a caddie) plus a mandatory 2 night stay on property (minimum of 500 a night)....that's a lot of coin.  I didn't have to pay close to that because my buddies kid is an assistant at spy, but I don't know. Still haven't decided.

I will say, I think number 5 at pebble might be my new favorite hole I've ever played.  It is as pure as it can get.

TL;DR--Pebble is awesome and if you get the chance you should probably take it, but I will play spy and spanish over it if I'm lucky enough to go back.

• Like 1

Heading to Bandon in April... won’t be the normal trip there as I’m just hoping the restaurants can open up by then but likely no bunker bar.

To the post above I wanted to stop through the peninsula on the way and play pebble and MPCC but will likely have to make that another trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading to Bandon in April... won’t be the normal trip there as I’m just hoping the restaurants can open up by then but likely no bunker bar.

To the post above I wanted to stop through the peninsula on the way and play pebble and MPCC but will likely have to make that another trip.

The restaurants were open in November. Just very limited capacity.

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Mpcc is a goal. No connections there. Yet. 

And no CR, but I hope Oregon is open by April but I highly doubt it. 

Edited by pops

On 1/23/2021 at 6:03 PM, ZB'Tejas said:

My son's best friend is the marketing manager there, his name is Luke Elliott, both parents are UT grads, and his sister is a sophomore. Great kid, and a deadly short game. He works in the Pro Shop mostly.  Tell him a friend on Surly from Granbury, said to go by and flash him a Hook'em, oh, and call him Squints, he looks just like the kid off of Sandlot, but he doesn't wear glasses anymore. D1 golf guy.

CHIEF

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://www.golfwrx.com/645080/the-death-of-the-3-iron-and-what-it-means-for-your-bag-setup/

interesting read. i still carry a 3 iron and hit it well but fully know my next set won't have a 3 iron option. 

Oh, your next set will have a 3. It will just have a 4 or a 5 printed on the bottom. 

The author gets into it and I agree with him, but all this has done is create huge gaps in the bottom of the set where people need more options. Not less. 

You have people out there with a 42 degree pitching wedge and then a 56 and 60 like they've always done. How that helps anyone makes no sense to me. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pops said:

Oh, your next set will have a 3. It will just have a 4 or a 5 printed on the bottom. 

The author gets into it and I agree with him, but all this has done is create huge gaps in the bottom of the set where people need more options. Not less. 

You have people out there with a 42 degree pitching wedge and then a 56 and 60 like they've always done. How that helps anyone makes no sense to me. 

It helps them tell their friends that they hit 7 iron on the 190 yd. par 3.

• Hook 'Em 1