2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

On 1/22/2021 at 6:36 PM, pops said:

Sunday at pebble was 78 with maybe 10 MPH winds and not a cloud.  It was ridiculous.

Scrolling up past this and my first thought was that this was your score at Pebble and "holy fuck he's good".

Not that it wasn't your score per se but I now realize you were referring to atmospheric conditions. 

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Scrolling up past this and my first thought was that this was your score at Pebble and "holy fuck he's good".

Not that it wasn't your score per se but I now realize you were referring to atmospheric conditions. 

Ha!  No one cares what you shot,  but I did just get under the temp at pebble. Definitely a course you need to play a few times to know where to hit it and how the greens break. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

My next set of irons will be strong lofts, -2 degrees. Maybe 3 

How come?  I went retro lofts with my current set so I'm playing off a 48 degree wedge. I've never played a really strong set of irons. Is it easier to hit a 5 iron that has a 7 iron head and length?  Honest question. Not being surly. 

15 hours ago, pops said:

How come?  I went retro lofts with my current set so I'm playing off a 48 degree wedge. I've never played a really strong set of irons. Is it easier to hit a 5 iron that has a 7 iron head and length?  Honest question. Not being surly. 

I think the length definitely makes a difference (ttws).  I definitely get that the jacking of the lofts is just marketing to make people think the "technology breakthroughs" are what is causing more distance, but at the same time, having your 7 iron have the same loft as an old 5 iron but be 1-1.5 inches shorter does make it easier to hit.  

2 hours ago, gurt said:

I think the length definitely makes a difference (ttws).  I definitely get that the jacking of the lofts is just marketing to make people think the "technology breakthroughs" are what is causing more distance, but at the same time, having your 7 iron have the same loft as an old 5 iron but be 1-1.5 inches shorter does make it easier to hit.  

That actually does make sense. I can see how that would be beneficial. 

After deciding to make a comeback last year after 10+ years of not playing, I shot my best round yesterday since I was in law school. I hit 9 greens and had 8 pars and 2 birdies. My putting has greatly improved, although I still had 3 three-putts.

But I wanted to share a complete mental breakdown I had to overcome. I started bogey, par, and on the third tee I hit a cold hard top into the rough. From there I skulled it. This was a par five and I had about 250 yards left. Hit a good 3-hybrid, pitched it on, and salvaged a bogey.

But then I came apart. On the fourth tee I topped my drive about 115 yards in the middle of the fairway. Then I topped a 5-iron, which rolled about 40 yards into a fairway bunker. From there, I topped it so bad it went a few yards. I almost missed the fucking ball. Then I topped it again out of bunker. Then I topped it again about 70 yards down the fairway.

Yep -- five tops in a row. At this point I'm scared to make another swing. I'm wondering how I can even finish the round. I tried to calm down, flew a wedge over the green, and faced a fast downhill chip, which I proceeded to blow 15 feet past the hole. I drained the putt for a smooth quadruple bogey.

From there, I decided to change balls and I played the next five holes 1-under. Finished 10 over for the round.

This game, man.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 3:54 AM, Bookman said:

After deciding to make a comeback last year after 10+ years of not playing, I shot my best round yesterday since I was in law school. I hit 9 greens and had 8 pars and 2 birdies. My putting has greatly improved, although I still had 3 three-putts.

But I wanted to share a complete mental breakdown I had to overcome. I started bogey, par, and on the third tee I hit a cold hard top into the rough. From there I skulled it. This was a par five and I had about 250 yards left. Hit a good 3-hybrid, pitched it on, and salvaged a bogey.

But then I came apart. On the fourth tee I topped my drive about 115 yards in the middle of the fairway. Then I topped a 5-iron, which rolled about 40 yards into a fairway bunker. From there, I topped it so bad it went a few yards. I almost missed the fucking ball. Then I topped it again out of bunker. Then I topped it again about 70 yards down the fairway.

Yep -- five tops in a row. At this point I'm scared to make another swing. I'm wondering how I can even finish the round. I tried to calm down, flew a wedge over the green, and faced a fast downhill chip, which I proceeded to blow 15 feet past the hole. I drained the putt for a smooth quadruple bogey.

From there, I decided to change balls and I played the next five holes 1-under. Finished 10 over for the round.

This game, man.

Funny how changing balls probably didn't matter at all, but in your head subconsciously it probably did.

• 2 weeks later...

I never film my swing, and I'm not sure why, because I did today and it really helped me notice some things. 

This was after an adjustment and I guess where I'd say my swing is right now. I'm worried my clubs are too short - need to measure my wrist to ground length. 

Have at it (18-20 hdcp). I think club is an 8 iron. 8 or 7.

(Adding more) I also feel like I'm struggling with whether my 90ish% backswing produces more consistency vs. my 100%. The science would tell me there's less room for error when I don't bring it back as far, but sometimes (especially with longer irons - 5, 4) I feel like my rhythm is better and there's less room for me to overthink things or fuck it up on the way down when I am taking it all the way back. Above is what I would call 85-90% - below is an example of 100%.

Obviously I carry the ball farther on the 2nd swing example but that's not an issue - it's plenty long on my 85%. I'm going for accuracy and consistent ball flight over anything.

Edited by ztejas

That last swing looks the best to me purely due to the tempo.  You are able to load and extend better and not get through so quick.  I am guessing you sometimes hit hard pulls?  If so, slowing it down a bit could help with that.

57 minutes ago, gurt said:

That last swing looks the best to me purely due to the tempo.  You are able to load and extend better and not get through so quick.  I am guessing you sometimes hit hard pulls?  If so, slowing it down a bit could help with that.

It's the same swing on top and bottom on each - just slowed on the 2nd gifs.

I sometimes do a lot of bullshit. My biggest issue with these clubs so far has actually been pulling it a bit combined with a fade - as I hit a more natural draw.

As a lefty it's odd to comment on swings but. Looks like the follow tru is all over the place. I like the old school view of the front foot where it tends to start to point at the target after the swing. Yours never moves. I also like the follow thru to wrap around the back (think Ernie Els).

4 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

As a lefty it's odd to comment on swings but. Looks like the follow tru is all over the place. I like the old school view of the front foot where it tends to start to point at the target after the swing. Yours never moves. I also like the follow thru to wrap around the back (think Ernie Els).

Yeah. It's not aesthetically pleasing post contact. I feel like I used to bring the club around further, I don't know what made me add that hitch. I'll try wrapping it around more next time I'm hitting balls and see if it makes a difference. I'm guessing it would help with my overall rhythm. 

I never film my swing, and I'm not sure why, because I did today and it really helped me notice some things. 
This was after an adjustment and I guess where I'd say my swing is right now. I'm worried my clubs are too short - need to measure my wrist to ground length. 
20210302_112932_2.gif.4b99e52ace93f12e14de3c2907464e70.gif20210302_112932_1.gif.325ed271b8981175942a50429d5846a8.gif
(Adding more) I also feel like I'm struggling with whether my 90ish% backswing produces more consistency vs. my 100%. The science would tell me there's less room for error when I don't bring it back as far, but sometimes (especially with longer irons - 5, 4) I feel like my rhythm is better and there's less room for me to overthink things or fuck it up on the way down when I am taking it all the way back. Above is what I would call 85-90% - below is an example of 100%.
20210302_112932_3.gif.ad273a0c601baf738bbfa6b1bb12a2d7.gif
20210302_112932_4.gif.c4f8ce581ab817a44ada6e718a13d227.gif
Obviously I carry the ball farther on the 2nd swing example but that's not an issue - it's plenty long on my 85%. I'm going for accuracy and consistent ball flight over anything.

Jesus Christ don’t you know how to wear a hat properly?

(Get off my lawn)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Jesus Christ don’t you know how to wear a hat properly?

(Get off my lawn)

They barely let me in without a collared shirt. Right after this the manager actually came over and asked me to right my hat. I think it was between Katy Perry songs and right after the 18 year old girls next to me got their cheese fries. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They barely let me in without a collared shirt. Right after this the manager actually came over and asked me to right my hat. I think it was between Katy Perry songs and right after the 18 year old girls next to me got their cheese fries. 

Pond be good for you.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, pops said:

Mpcc is a goal. No connections there. Yet. 

And no CR, but I hope Oregon is open by April but I highly doubt it. 

Brief update--a couple of guys from my annual Bandon trip did another trip out there last month.  All restaurants were open and serving (again with limited seating).  I would think by April you shouldn't have any concerns about going (will still probably have to mask up indoors, though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

New weapons. I've loved this iron from Titleist for years. Bought an old set off the Bay, got them stripped and buffed, then refinished in a black oxide. New high-end shafts (Tour Issue S400s), new paintfill, swingweighted back to d3 (titleist stock sw, given that these are stripped of chrome, there's some tip weight added, and they're probably technically closer to d2, but still - heavy), and MCC College orange grips. Hook 'em, bitches.

Photo Mar 03, 1 25 58 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 1 26 02 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 1 28 31 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 1 34 03 PM.jpg

Did you do the paintfill yourself?

7 iron.jpg

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

New weapons. I've loved this iron from Titleist for years. Bought an old set off the Bay, got them stripped and buffed, then refinished in a black oxide. New high-end shafts (Tour Issue S400s), new paintfill, swingweighted back to d3 (titleist stock sw, given that these are stripped of chrome, there's some tip weight added, and they're probably technically closer to d2, but still - heavy), and MCC College orange grips. Hook 'em, bitches.

Photo Mar 03, 1 25 58 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 1 26 02 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 1 28 31 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 1 34 03 PM.jpg

Dude... those are great. Always loved the zm. 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, ztejas said:

20210302_112932_2.gif.4b99e52ace93f12e14de3c2907464e70.gif20210302_112932_1.gif.325ed271b8981175942a50429d5846a8.gif

Let your arms release. You are so scared of hitting the hook you're actually making it worse by not releasing and hanging back. 

I had my one and only lesson over 17 years ago. It was a week long group lesson with 2 other buddies taught at Golden Bear in Dallas. Yesterday had my first lesson since.

After not touching a club for 13 years, I was inconsistent as hell and needed pointers and how to correct what I am doing wrong: releasing too early and chunking the shots, too handsy with my swing, ball flight is too high, not consistently compressing the ball. A lot of those issues had to do with swing mechanics on grip during downswing and lack of forward shaft lean. Instructor immediately saw my quirks and gave me drills to correct. Just with two tweaks, I was hitting me ball with much better compression and increase my distance and dropped my ball height. The squaring of the club face on cocking the wrist at the top of the swing goes against what I was taught 17 years ago and what I groomed years of my swing on. My wrist hurts like shit today trying to groove that new grip and swing. Getting much better compression and distance. Still chunking but much less. Was chunking more towards the end of practice but I think it's because I was tired and my wrist starting really hurting.

But I'm sure everyone already knows, lessons work!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

why you need to harsh the man's buzz? i thought the clubs looked cool as shit. and then you had to shit on it.

He's just a sad 6 handicap who can't break 80. (also an inside joke ... ddd is good people and he's also my lawyer).

What’s everyone’s thoughts on decreasing the length on their driver? I currently have a Taylormade that is 46.5. I have been taking lessons at Golftec and he suggested trying a 44.5. I hit a Ping G425 with a 44.5 inch stiff shaft and I was keeping it much straighter.  

21 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on decreasing the length on their driver? I currently have a Taylormade that is 46.5. I have been taking lessons at Golftec and he suggested trying a 44.5. I hit a Ping G425 with a 44.5 inch stiff shaft and I was keeping it much straighter.  

People seem to be only worried about one thing, being longer.  Dispersion and finding fairways seem to be secondary. This is why all the new clubs have seriously jacked up lofts. 30 degree 7 irons. I think I heard a club having 29 degree lofted 7 iron. Imagine not picking up a club for 12 years and then find out that your clubs are severely "outdated" because I'm not hitting 190 yard seven irons because they are not 30 degrees.

The other way of increasing distance is longer shafts especially as it relates to drivers. I've seen a few articles and videos that definitively showed that a longer shafted driver leads to more missed fairways. The longer clubs, the stronger the loft, the harder the club is to hit. 

I'll gladly give up 15 yards on drives to consistently find fairways.  

"Standard" driver is 45 inch. At least it used to be. You will be .5 inch shorter than "standard". 

Only you can answer that question. Who's going to know that your driver is 44.5 inches? Are you or they going to care when they are 15 yards longer chipping out of of the woods and you're in the fairway?

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/4/2021 at 11:56 AM, LebongJames said:

Dispersion typically goes up with a longer shaft. 46.5 is pretty long but depends on your height and arm length. 

44.5 is what I've played for years. New driver is showing up tomorrow and I had them make it at 45 but that has a lot to do with the shaft as it is very stable in the tip. But if my dispersion is worse then I'll cut it down to 45.5 in a heartbeat. I'd rather be 5 yards back in the fairway. 

On 3/2/2021 at 12:42 PM, ztejas said:

have you considered bowling ?

• Haha 1

Finally played Grey Rock yesterday. Greens were very quick. Starting you on 10 is evil, that hole ate my lunch to the tune of a smooth quadruple bogey.

I turned it around in the front nine with a 39, which feels good for a new course.

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

have you considered bowling ?

Bowling sucks at my height. I might have good genes for it though - my mom is an absolute shark when it comes to bowling. I don't think she ever played in a league or anything but she should have. She won't bowl for a year and then go put up a 180. I've seen her break 200 multiple times as a kid - with 6-7 strikes in a row peppered in there on some games.

/csb - commence your mom jokes