2021 transfer thread

Machinator

52 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I could see it if he is aiming to win a couple years right now and do not care what tire fire you’re leaving behind, but it’s really not going to be helpful for that roster. Especially because, let’s face it— the cream of the transfer crop is not going there.  It’s kicking problems down the road. I’d be having a hard talk with Spav if I were that AD. 

Fair take... it’s a strategy and maybe he thinks it was the best tasting shit sandwich this year.  It’s not like he’s a bad recruiter though and if Peeler is still there, that guy can pull dudes but San Marcos isn’t exactly compelling for most recruits

My gut says it's a bad strategy. However, there was an article posted earlier that illustrated that there were waaaay more players in the portal than available scholarships. So, for this cycle, Spav might be able to pull in better talent than he could normally acquire.

I don’t see how it’s not a great strategy. He can’t get that level of HS player. Now he is getting guys that have 3-4 years and were 3 star recruits. I actually think it’s a pretty solid strategy for a Sun Belt school. Its really similar to what the Wizard used to do at KState with Juco recruits. He signed 7 3 stars.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Kanly said:

This is completely unsurprising to me. High profile players get noticed leaving a few big schools with lots of depth.

For the most part, you transfer when you aren’t playing. Most schools have plenty of players on the roster already not playing, why bring on another kid who couldn’t start at his prior team and who has shown that he won’t stick with it through adversity. 

Now an intelligent way to use the portal would be if you were at some huge football factory, got the lay of the land, and figured out that the NFL was not in your future. Then transfer to a place like Rice or Vandy and did the bare minimum to keep the scholarship and graduate with that degree. That would be a brilliant move. 

I am glad this exists for fairness sake, but the novelty is going to wear off soon.

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is completely unsurprising to me. High profile players get noticed leaving a few big schools with lots of depth.

For the most part, you transfer when you aren’t playing. Most schools have plenty of players on the roster already not playing, why bring on another kid who couldn’t start at his prior team and who has shown that he won’t stick with it through adversity. 

Now an intelligent way to use the portal would be if you were at some huge football factory, got the lay of the land, and figured out that the NFL was not in your future. Then transfer to a place like Rice or Vandy and did the bare minimum to keep the scholarship and graduate with that degree. That would be a brilliant move. 

I am glad this exists for fairness sake, but the novelty is going to wear off soon.

I don’t think the novelty will wear off. These are young kids that have been the top or at least top 5 kid their whole life. A lot of these guys feel the next opportunity will be better for them. It’s the society we live in. Star players want to team up and demand trades. People don’t work at jobs for decades any more. Transfers have happened for a long time but now there is just a place to see them.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

Fair take... it’s a strategy and maybe he thinks it was the best tasting shit sandwich this year.  It’s not like he’s a bad recruiter though and if Peeler is still there, that guy can pull dudes but San Marcos isn’t exactly compelling for most recruits

San Marcos isn't the issue. San Marcos is a great college town. Texas State's football program and history is the issue. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

San Marcos isn't the issue. San Marcos is a great college town. Texas State's football program and history is the issue. 

My daughter just graduated from there.  Its an ok college town but the campus has almost zero engagement with the football team.  There's no juice there...that's all I meant

Edited by Zhorn96

53 minutes ago, Kanly said:

That’s basically what I was saying. Almost everyone thinks they will move to a better situation. Some guys will upgrade. Some guys will expect to start at a new program that’s equal to or lower tier than where they’re leaving. Other guys won’t have options and will just take an open spot wherever they find it.

Reality can be a bitch. 

Edited by Tex Pete

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Another Vol RB hits the Portal

https://247sports.com/player/cody-brown-46077122/

5 hours ago, MoJames said:

When will Cody Brown announce he is going to OUsux

OMG! 2021 recruit! He hasn't even gotten there.

I assume you're kidding about OU taking him, but OU didn't take a RB in this class and remains light at that position. It's not completely out of the question.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:45 PM, jdhorn92 said:

An Alabama 6 may be another schools' 10

Crazy to think about, but every scholarship player at Alabama would likely get a scholarship at every other school in the country.

I mean maybe there's a few exceptions but I don't think it's that far off.

• Like 1

So is there any info out there now post SD2 about how many open spots are left vs the number of guys still in the portal. 

We keep hearing doomsday scenarios about the possibility of kids getting left with no landing spots, but so far I haven’t seen any hard data since the last signing day...

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Why did he ask out of his LOI, and how did Washington handle it (other than letting him out, obvs)?

Saban quote from the time:

“If a guy doesn’t get admitted to a school he’s signed to go to, then he gets an opportunity to go someplace else,” Saban said. “He can get a release, or he can choose to try to get eligible over time, but not be able to enroll in school. As I understand it, he was unable to get into school for academic reasons because of their institutional policies, not because of NCAA rules. He could get into school at most other institutions, so he had opportunities to go other places. He didn’t want to sit out and try to take other classes so he could go to the school he signed at.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Saban quote from the time:

“If a guy doesn’t get admitted to a school he’s signed to go to, then he gets an opportunity to go someplace else,” Saban said. “He can get a release, or he can choose to try to get eligible over time, but not be able to enroll in school. As I understand it, he was unable to get into school for academic reasons because of their institutional policies, not because of NCAA rules. He could get into school at most other institutions, so he had opportunities to go other places. He didn’t want to sit out and try to take other classes so he could go to the school he signed at.

Mi amigo pulled a Lampkin

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

Kaho seems like a special teams standout at worst. Anybody know who coached special teams at Bama last year?

https://rolltide.com/sports/football/roster/ale-kaho/7264

Junior (2020)
Continued to gain experience on special teams and rotated in at linebacker ... named one of the Tide coaching staff's special teams players of the week for his output against Kentucky and at LSU. Missouri: Saw time against the Tigers. Texas A&M: Worked in the home opener. Ole Miss: Played on special teams in Oxford. Tennessee: Returned to the field against the Vols. Mississippi State: Nearly blocked a punt, getting a hand on the ball to limit the distance. Kentucky: Made a huge stop on the opening kickoff to set the tone for the afternoon ... earned special teams player of the week recognition for his efforts against the Wildcats. Auburn: Worked on special teams in the Iron Bowl. LSU: Made a huge stop on kickoff coverage late in the game ... helped the Tide kickoff unit limit the Tigers to only 54 yards on the night ... picked up special teams player of the week honors from the UA coaches for his play in Baton Rouge. Arkansas: Saw time on special teams in the regular-season finale. Florida: Played on both coverage units in the SEC Championship Game. Notre Dame: Posted minutes in the Rose Bowl. Ohio State: Saw time on special teams against the Buckeyes.

Sophomore (2019)
Standout on special teams who also saw time at middle linebacker and in the H-back spot for goal line situations ... recorded three blocked punts, one of which he recovered for a touchdown ... his three blocked punts are the second most in Alabama single-season records ... added 20 tackles with one for loss (-3 yards) ...  named one of the special teams players of the week by the Alabama coaches for his play against South Carolina, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Tennessee. Duke: Saw time in the opener with the Blue Devils. New Mexico State: Finished with three tackles in the home opener. South Carolina: Worked extensive minutes at linebacker and finished with four tackles, including one for loss (-3 yards) ... added one tackle on kickoff coverage to limit the Gamecock returner and earn himself special teams player of the week recognition from the UA coaching staff. Southern Miss: Recorded one tackle on kickoff coverage against the Golden Eagles. Ole Miss: Blocked and recovered a Rebel punt in the end zone for an Alabama touchdown ... added four total tackles on the day, including one on kickoff coverage ... named a special teams player of the week by the Alabama coaches for his efforts in the Tide’s SEC home opener. Texas A&M: Earned special teams player of the week recognition from the UA coaching staff thanks to another punt block for a second consecutive week ... the blocked punt rolled into the hands of Tyrell Shavers for an Alabama touchdown, the Tide’s final score of the day. Tennessee: Made a tackle on the game’s opening kickoff for his lone stop of the day ... selected as one of the Tide coaching staff’s special teams players of the week for his play against the Vols. Arkansas: Recorded a pair of tackles from his middle linebacker spot against the Razorbacks. LSU: Continued his work on special teams ... also saw playing time as a blocker on offense for the Tide’s goal line situations. Mississippi State: Made one tackle on defense against the Bulldogs. Western Carolina: Finished with three tackles in the Tide’s final home game of the 2019 campaign. Auburn: Worked as a blocker on goal line situations while resuming his duties on special teams ... also saw time at linebacker, recording one stop against the Tigers. Michigan: Got a hand on one Wolverine boot for his third blocked punt of the season.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Oh shit, this was the kid that committed to PK at Washington before getting released from his LOI and going to Bama, have to think we will be a player here 

I wonder whether or not PK and crew view him as a flake. I doubt it was all innocent when it came to not getting into UW.

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I wonder whether or not PK and crew view him as a flake. I doubt it was all innocent when it came to not getting into UW.

He told UW he was homesick and having family issues. They released him and he enrolled at Alabama within a day or two. It looked pretty shady.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

He told UW he was homesick and having family issues. They released him and he enrolled at Alabama within a day or two. It looked pretty shady.

There it is. That’s how I remember it, if vaguely. I’m sure PK is like “yeah, fuck it, let’s go get this guy!” Of course, he may also be watching film of Juwan Mitchell and be like “yep, we need this guy.”

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There it is. That’s how I remember it, if vaguely. I’m sure PK is like “yeah, fuck it, let’s go get this guy!” Of course, he may also be watching film of Juwan Mitchell and be like “yep, we need this guy.”

Here's the Seattle Times article that goes into more detail.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/former-5-star-ale-kaho-days-after-being-granted-his-release-from-uw-huskies-to-play-for-alabama/

• Hook 'Em 1