USWNT 2021

Captain Ron

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought 5 yesterday in the premium terrace one section over from my season tickets near midfield. My butt is gonna appreciate the padded seats up there this season and the view is phenomenal, basically the view you would get from a TV camera a little bit below the press box. 

• 2 weeks later...

Selling my 4 tickets for the USWNT v. Nigeria.  Tickets in 101. Tickets sold.  My daughter's soccer team won the South Texas State Cup and advanced to Southern Regionals in South Carolina, so we won't be able to attend. 

We are donating the proceeds from the sale of the tickets to support the other players on her team that do not have the means to travel for the regional tournament.  PM me if you are interested in the tickets.  If you are so inclined, take a look at the gofundme for the soccer girls.  It's not your typical privileged suburban soccer team.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Anyone caught LFG? The HBOMax doc on the women’s team? They must be doing something right, it totally pissed off the federation. 

yea, the objective doc that asks the question:

shouldn't the US Women's national team be gifted the bonus money they would've gotten if they won the Men's World Cup?

• 4 weeks later...

USWNT got ripped to shreds by Sweden 3-0.  The USSF needs to regain control of the team from the players and move on from the over 30 players who refuse to jump off the gravy train that they incessantly whine about.  The roster is stunningly old with only 2 players under the age of 26 and 11 over 30.  This group has been incredibly successful but they aren't entitled to a spot on the team.  A completely new coach (preferably a Euro) and staff will be required to implement a new direction with an overhauled roster.  The talent depth in the US is insane but they get almost no chances at the international level because the members of the old guard never miss an international game (even the most irrelevant friendlies) because unlike the men they rely almost exclusively on the USWNT for publicity and income.       

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Good points, didn't realize the age breakdown was that rough.  I'm sure their contention is something like, "If you made it more financially equitable, we wouldn't have to stick around so long and play in every match.  The younger players could come up if we had received more equitable income all along."  Which I'm sure does nothing to take the stink off what those younger players might be thinking.  As you say, I imagine our talent pool U-23 is just insanely good.  

On 7/24/2021 at 8:12 AM, Captain Ron said:

IMHO - this is on the coach. He makes the rosters, he can and should get some new blood on the team. No doubt that most of these players are good, but it’s time to move to the next generation.

Christ, Baby Horse is 32!!!

Players run that team. Coach is a show pony. It’s an annual salary with benefits, not an open tryout. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Can someone explain why the Olympics isn't U23 for women like it is for men? 

Because FIFA doesn't give a shit.

The reason the men is a U23 tournament is because they don't want to dilute the World Cup.

They would need to care about the Women's World Cup for them to care about it being diluted.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

USWNT:

0 - 2 Sweden
6 - 1 New Zealand
0 - 0 Australia

2nd in group 1-1-1 , +3 GD

Netherlands:

10 - 3 Zambia
3 - 3 Brazil
8 - 2 China

1st in group 2-1-0 , +13 GD

USWNT vs Netherlands

Friday, July 30th @ 6am CDT

It's gonna be ugly

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

USWNT:

0 - 2 Sweden
6 - 1 New Zealand
0 - 0 Australia

2nd in group 1-1-1 , +3 GD

Netherlands:

10 - 3 Zambia
3 - 3 Brazil
8 - 2 China

1st in group 2-1-0 , +13 GD

USWNT vs Netherlands

Friday, July 30th @ 6am CDT

We lost to Sweden 3-0. +2 GD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

We lost to Sweden 3-0. +2 GD.

That was the one that I was going with without looking it up. I didn’t watch it and it was so far back that I had forgotten. 

So if they lose, will they get equal pay to what our boys Olympic team is getting paid? 🤔

Pretty wild game that either team could have won in both regular and stoppage time.  Vlatko made some tough decisions in benching Morgan, Rapinoe, Press and Lavelle but they were justified by the result.  Naeher let in a soft goal for the Dutch second and more than made up for it with her performance on PKs.  Her save on Miedema in particular was world class.  

Aside from Sweden, the Dutch were probably the toughest matchup for the US in the tournament and we should be more comfortable against Canada.   

A win against Canada and the USWNT will be in its 6 final in the last 7 major tournaments (08, 12, 20 Olympics and 11, 15 and 19 WC).  Japan is second with 3 appearances.  

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Pretty wild game that either team could have won in both regular and stoppage time.  Vlatko made some tough decisions in benching Morgan, Rapinoe, Press and Lavelle but they were justified by the result.  Naeher let in a soft goal for the Dutch second and more than made up for it with her performance on PKs.  Her save on Miedema in particular was world class.  

Aside from Sweden, the Dutch were probably the toughest matchup for the US in the tournament and we should be more comfortable against Canada.   

A win against Canada and the USWNT will be in its 6 final in the last 7 major tournaments (08, 12, 20 Olympics and 11, 15 and 19 WC).  Japan is second with 3 appearances.  

26 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Holy shyt Megan drllled it 

I've been very critical of Rapinoe lately, but she didn't have a bad game. She did ball hog a bit toward the end of regulation when a pass could have potentially ended it (Jamie Tartt much?). Whatever - she was nails at the end and that's what counts. 

34 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Pretty wild game that either team could have won in both regular and stoppage time. 

Yeah and the biggest missed opportunity was the Dutch's poor penalty in the 80th minute.  Good performance for the US to go through though.  I expected this to look like the Sweden game.

Edited by WBT