Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

Just when you thought they couldn't get any dumber they find new depths of stupidity.

And increasingly, sovereign citizen legal tactics have found their way into cases related to the Jan. 6 Capitol attack. At least 11 defendants have deployed what experts describe as sovereign citizen talking points, either during their arrests, their trials, or even after pleading guilty. 

___

“Sometimes people say ‘why would anyone become a sovereign citizen? Why don’t they know that this doesn’t work?’” Sarteschi said. “I don’t think [sovereign citizen] do know. They think it works. They think that their strategy, their particular paperwork, their methodology is gonna make the difference.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jan-six-rioters-are-using-sovereign-citizen-defenses-to-try-to-get-out-of-prison

• Like 1

“The United States District Court is a private for profit corporation. (It is not government owned),” read Rubenacker’s handwritten filing. “This court was created in 1871, along with the new form of government without the backing of the 1787 Constitution of the United States for America [sic]. This court was created 14 years after the 1787 Constitution.

Might want to check your math, Greg.

• Haha 1

Maybe he was referring to that ~14 year limbo period between 1776 Independence and 1789 when the newly ratified Constitution actually goes into practical force.  

I've heard some whackjob Confederate-apologists cite that certain federal institutions in the South (federal courts, DoJ, interstate commerce, etc.) are not legitimate as they were not re-constitutionalized after the fall of the Confederacy, back into the United States.  So if he's not governed, as a sovereign citizen, by the U.S.; then he was a foreign attacker on our seat of government.  And thus the kid gloves should come off as he was acting as an enemy combatant/foreign terrorist, no?  So he can shut up and take a few years in a medium-security facility or he can be extradited to the South where he'll stand before a Federal Magistrate judge in a blackbox court and sent to Gitmo for the rest of his life.  I'm sure the Al Qaeda detainees there will find his background story attractive, during leisure time in the yard, and treat him with the utmost respect.  

Why would you pick as your defense option, "I'm not really a U.S. citizen under your laws"; when the alternative is to be tried as a foreign combatant swept up on U.S. soil trying to kill law enforcement officials, threaten federally elected officials, and steal Congressional property?  Bold strategy Cotton.

If they catch you on camera looting a Target.  And they offer you a year for B&E and larceny...you take it.  You don't say, "I'm a sovereign citizen just gather supplies for our movement to overthrow your government!"  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Chilcoats are hardly the first defendants to use debunked sovereign citizen ideas to try and beat the system. At least 11 other Jan. 6 defendants have attempted to wiggle their way out of their charges and court dates by using the argument, The Daily Beast reported. Thosese include a woman who famously told a policeman "bring Nancy Pelosi out here now… we want to hang that fucking bitch" as she entered the capital, an actor-turned-Oathkeeper, and a Florida man who sent back his court documents stamped with a statement saying he rejected them as an "American Sovereign." 

Unsurprisingly, none have succeeded in court. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgyjya/jan-6-sovereign-citizen 

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

WASHINGTON – A Mississippi man, who also briefly lived in California, was sentenced today to 78 months in prison for assaulting law enforcement officers during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. His and others’ actions disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the presidential election.

James McGrew, 40, of Biloxi, Mississippi and Carlsbad, California, pleaded guilty on May 13, 2022, in the District of Columbia, to assaulting, resisting, or impeding officers.  In addition to the prison term, U.S. District Court Judge Beryl A. Howell ordered 36 months of supervised release, a $5,000 fine and $2,000 restitution.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/mississippi-man-sentenced-assaulting-law-enforcement-officers-during-jan-6-capitol-breach

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Do these numbnuts really think that saying "I acted stupid" or some variation of that is actually going to excuse what they did, or mitigate the punishment?

It actually can, if they present it sincerely and back it up.

"I acted stupidly.  I got suckered into something that I shouldn't have.  I see how foolish it was now, and I'm deeply sorry and wish I hadn't done it.  And I'll never do it again."

vs. their usual approach:

"I acted stupidly.  But also, I was right, and the election was totally stolen by the Chines and Biden and Italian satellites, and I would happily attack the capitol again if my god Trump would say the word."

First guy might even get the charges reduced, and will almost certainly get a lesser sentence.  Second guy gets the smooth buttfucking his criminal ass deserves.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Guess they'll have plenty of time to test their "no wanking" oath.

Edit: Correction. They're not Proud Boys, so I guess they can just wank away alone (or in the presence of their cellmates) in their cells and not feel too poorly of themselves.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

FAFO 

Philly GIF by Philadelphia Flyers

Bigo was one in my pantheon of insurrectionists that I wanted to see serve some serious time, in addition to Jenna and Q-Shaman.  So I did a rare Twitter search, using the term “Bigo”.  Let’s just say there’s some interesting hits from Africa that have nothing to do with 1/6…

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Hey everyone, I've found a foolproof way to avoid going on trial in Washington DC.  Don't do any crime in Washington DC.  And the dumbass is nodding along like his lawyer is speaking sense.  God dammit people are stupid.

The other thing is a change of venue generally moves to the closest district or division that doesn't pose whatever objections you have to DC, so that likely means a Virginia district or Maryland.  You can't get it shifted to bumfuck Arkansas or Floriduh, or fucking Texas for that matter.  So good luck with that.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Is that the attorney speaking?

That hat makes him look like clown, even if he weren’t speaking gibberish.

You really gotta love the logic.  “I came from Shit Hole County to the big city where I did me some crimes, but I demands to go back to Shit Hole County so all my wives and family and friends can judge me…. not these people from the big city whose town I attacked.“

Lex Locus Rubi - the law of the site of the mouth breathers.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Brian Fellows?  The black guy from the zoo? 

Also, I got lazy.  I need to get back work having 1/6 insurrectionists harassed in prison.  Though the really fun thing, as Jenna Ryan can attest to, is having them followed home after they get outta prison.  You'd be really surprised how easily you can drive people to suicide.  It's almost not even fair...

On 1/23/2023 at 7:43 PM, Matuka said:

Bigo was one in my pantheon of insurrectionists that I wanted to see serve some serious time, in addition to Jenna and Q-Shaman.  So I did a rare Twitter search, using the term “Bigo”.  Let’s just say there’s some interesting hits from Africa that have nothing to do with 1/6…

Bigo is in fact on Twitter.  A few hours ago he was advising everyone to leave the Republican party after the RNC vote, because they were promised change instead of the Eternal Turtle and the election of the RNC head who made losing Senate seats in Georgia into an art form.   

He also criticizes his conviction and the court that helped convict him. Always a smooth move prior to sentencing.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Hey everyone, I've found a foolproof way to avoid going on trial in Washington DC.  Don't do any crime in Washington DC.  And the dumbass is nodding along like his lawyer is speaking sense.  God dammit people are stupid.

Absolutely an unfair trial, in a fair trial he would have been taken out in the street and shot.  Failing that, the lunatics will soon be in charge of the asylum.

Ah yes, Citizen Dick.  Looking at that chart and wishing I could see Trump try to explain it away with, "That's a very misleading graph...I'm huge in Belgium right now."  

I mean, it didn't even register to him when all those world leaders consistently snubbed him in real life at the G8, so I guess this chart wouldn't make any difference with him either.  Still, I'd like to be there he somebody tweets it to him.  I assume he can still read twitter, just can't post on there.  I also find it off that the lowest delta on there is with Japan.  Seems like they wouldn't tolerate and jackassery and Trump is the king of that shit.  

Ah yes, Citizen Dick.  Looking at that chart and wishing I could see Trump try to explain it away with, "That's a very misleading graph...I'm huge in Belgium right now."  
I mean, it didn't even register to him when all those world leaders consistently snubbed him in real life at the G8, so I guess this chart wouldn't make any difference with him either.  Still, I'd like to be there he somebody tweets it to him.  I assume he can still read twitter, just can't post on there.  I also find it off that the lowest delta on there is with Japan.  Seems like they wouldn't tolerate and jackassery and Trump is the king of that shit.  

I sent it a right wing cousin who immediately countered with “well the press loved Obama and hated Bush. Plus who cares what a bunch of euros think?” Predictable.

Bigo is so “fearless” a political prisoner and J6 patriot that he won’t allow you to comment on his Twitter feed. So I cannot ask him how his sphincter loosening exercises are going.  

He is a big Christian, which is why he refers to Nancy Pelosi as “that fucking bitch.”  Just like Jesus would.

0C5148F4-397D-45C8-8E90-8872D0C35A0D.thumb.png.7723143a8455e0e8959dc22ee727a6d3.png

• Hook 'Em 1