2021 European soccer megathread

Jive Turkey

this is moving fast

+++

European Super League: Uefa furious at 11 major clubs signing up to breakaway plans

By Simon StoneBBC Sport

Last updated on 20 minutes ago.From the section European Football1026

[Image: Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo (left) dribbles past AC Milan player Diogo Dalot (right)]

Juventus and AC Milan have signed up to the breakaway league plans

Senior Uefa figures are furious that 11 major European clubs, including five from England, have signed up to a breakaway European Super League.

BBC Sport was told last week of plans for some sort of confirmation about a European Super League.

Uefa hoped to head off plans with a new-look 36-team Champions League set to be confirmed on Monday.

Uefa said it will use "all measures available" to stop the "cynical project" of a breakaway Super League.

The European governing body released a joint statement together with the English Football Association, Premier League Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) as well as Serie A on Sunday.

They said they will "remain united" in trying to stop the breakaway, using both judicial and sporting measures if required.

They also reiterated Fifa's stance that players taking part in the Super League would be banned from all other competitions at domestic, European or world level and could be prevented from representing their national teams.

In a separate statement, the Premier League said it condemned the proposal as it "attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart" of domestic and European football.

Juventus owner Andrea Agnelli, Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and AC Milan chief executive Ivan Gazidis would all have had a significant input into the Champions League discussions on Friday.

However, it appears those clubs are among those to have broken ranks, to the fury of Uefa, whose president Aleksander Ceferin wanted to stave off a Super League threat.

Spanish La Liga sides Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are also part of the 11-team group, as are Italian Serie A club Inter Milan.

None of the clubs concerned have responded to questions about the proposals.

The Premier League said a European Super League would "destroy" the dream of fans that "their team may climb to the top and play against the best".

It added such a league would "undermine the appeal of the whole game" and that they would work with the FA, the English Football League, Professional Footballers' Association, League Managers Association and fans to "defend the integrity and future prospects of English football".

The FA said it will "not provide permission to any competition that would be damaging to English football" and will "take any legal and/or regulatory action necessary" to stop it.

Bundesliga sides are opposed to the plans because the German model means commercial investors cannot have more than a 49% stake in clubs, so fans hold a majority of their own voting rights.

It is understood French Ligue 1 side Paris St-Germain are not part of the 11-team group.

Uefa said it thanked "those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up" to the breakaway league.

"We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced," they added.

"This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough."

Quite when the European Super League would start is unclear.

However, world governing body Fifa has already said it would not recognise such a competition and any players involved in it would be denied the chance to play at a World Cup.

Serie A have called an emergency board meeting to discuss the matter.

The Football Supporters' Association said it is "totally opposed" to the plans, which it said were "motivated by nothing but cynical greed".

They added: "This competition is being created behind our backs by billionaire club owners who have zero regard for the game's traditions and continue to treat football as their personal fiefdom."

It has been agreed the new-look Champions League will involve an initial phase where every club plays 10 matches each rather than the current group phase.

In addition there would be play-offs, followed by a knockout phase.

The most controversial aspect of the proposals surround the allocation of the four additional places, with two being reserved for the clubs ranked highest in Uefa's co-efficient table who fail to qualify for the Champions League through their domestic competition, but do secure some kind of European football.

At the moment, Liverpool and Chelsea would be the clubs who benefited from that system if it was in place this season.

CommentsJoin the conversation

1040 comments

Comment posted by Mr Filton, today at 16:59

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from greedy owners who are going to ruin the league we know and love! Been a utd fan for 30 years and appaled by this announcement

Reply posted by patthemad, today at 17:04

patthemad replied:

I agree completely and it just shows how Investors/Chairman really think about the fans that have made these clubs.
You must remember though the Kerry Packer affair in cricket was exactly the same.

Comment posted by Dave Lister, today at 17:01

There are at least 100 professional clubs in England spanning from the Premier League down to the National League. If they want to be in a European Super League let them, just kick them out of the English football pyramid in the process! No longer welcome.

Reply posted by sarah, today at 17:12

sarah replied:

And you can sit in your living room and watch all the players that weren't good enough to play for those clubs

Comment posted by magnoliacelebration, today at 16:58

Pure greed. Kick them out the league

Reply posted by bobby smith, today at 17:00

bobby smith replied:

Money money money money that’s all it is

Comment posted by Wee Brian, today at 16:59

The teams entering this joke competition should be banned from every other competition forever. They are a disgrace. I can’t stand any of them.

Reply posted by Mic, today at 17:09

Mic replied:

Are you ok with City winning everything year after year as they are funded by a country whilst other clubs are paid for by fans & corporations! PSG are the same. So its ok for them to cheat their way to trophies but not for other teams to see a way of competing financially with them? I thought VAR was killing the game i now realise its everyone

Comment posted by doctorkmt, today at 17:03

Screw them. All about the money. Go local. Go lower League

Reply posted by m16, today at 17:05

m16 replied:

Going to hell in a hand cart

Comment posted by TheMiller, today at 17:01

An absolute disgrace. Everything I love about the beautiful game about to be ripped up. The sport that is the basis of many of my friendships, the sport that’s been a central part of my life and it’s about to be ripped up in front of our eyes. I hope fans turn on this, and I’d love to see the EPL kick these clubs out but money talks and sadly us fans will be ignored. The beautiful game is dead.

Reply posted by charlie chestnut, today at 17:09

charlie chestnut replied:

Kick them out and they’ve just lost the worlds interest nobody wants to see Burnley vs palace in a title decider!

Comment posted by Sir Shep, today at 17:01

Stuff the domestic fans, cater to the plastics. Pathetic and embarrassing, hopefully those who participate will be kicked out of the league.

Reply posted by Nemesis86, today at 17:15

Nemesis86 replied:

Who are the plastics ?

Comment posted by biasmoderation, today at 17:01

Just let 'm all go, ban the clubs from ever returning to domestic leagues and all players from all international competition.

Reply posted by Leaguefan, today at 17:09

Leaguefan replied:

And the consequences?
You haven’t progressed what probably will happen.

Comment posted by bbcisadilhole , today at 17:05

Reap what you sow Uefa. They started the greed culture with the obscene champions league money and repeatedly pandering to the richest leagues with regard to number of entrants, the stage they entered the competition at etc. Really disappointed in these clubs though

Reply posted by Gerry1967, today at 17:11

Gerry1967 replied:

Exactly sir,well said.

Comment posted by Phoenix, today at 16:59

Pure greed, no more, no less

Reply posted by Mic, today at 17:15

Mic replied:

Sorry what team do you support! its not city is it? City & PSG are funded by countries whose pockets are filled by that countries banking system, is that not greed! No other club can compete with them when buying players so prices to buy a mediocre player go through the roof, if you are happy to see City & PSG win everything then yes call it greed, if you think we need to compete then superleague!

Comment posted by Kenny Morris, today at 17:04

Let the English teams leave.If they leave they leave ,no second team in the Premier League or EFL ,no FA Cup or League Cup entry. They must sever all ties and good riddance ,just pure greed.

Reply posted by sPaulinit, today at 17:21

sPaulinit replied:

If UEFA stay against it, they wouldn't allow the players to play for their country either.

Comment posted by Robert Hutt, today at 17:01

GREED. be happy to see the "big" six leave the PL. disgraceful. no one wants it.

Reply posted by Leaguefan, today at 17:11

Leaguefan replied:

They do and that’s the point plus there’s lots of 💶💶💶💷💷💷🤑🤑🤑 to be made from GLOBAL media.

Comment posted by modpie, today at 17:05

Could be the best thing that’s happened to the game. Expel the clubs taking part from the national leagues, get rid of var and let’s get back to the passionate, dynamic, meritocratic game we used to know.

Reply posted by Bellabroonzy, today at 17:20

Bellabroonzy replied:

If the breakaway teams were expelled from the EPL, then perhaps we would see more English players in the top tier, therefore a better and more enthusiastic international team?

Comment posted by dave b, today at 17:01

Kick them out the premier league now.Sick of these clubs disregarding what football fans want.....Pure greed,will ruin the league pyramid and make football a closed shop for the few....

Reply posted by Leaguefan, today at 17:16

Leaguefan replied:

They are supplying what football fans want GLOBALLY!
You just cannot see it.

Comment posted by ken, today at 17:00

Totally agree kick them out of league completely if they join up. Should even be fined for suggesting it.

Reply posted by awd4, today at 17:40

awd4 replied:

Have brought the game into disrepute.

Comment posted by Socrates1982, today at 16:59

Who are the 5 English teams?? My money 💰 is on West Brom, Fulham, Brighton, Burnley & Sheffield United 😳

Reply posted by Mark, today at 17:14

Mark replied:

according to SKY...Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs....

Comment posted by DR1, today at 17:02

Pure Greed. That being said will be able to save money cancelling my BT Sport subscription and enjoy watching my beloved Norwich in a much more competitive english league. Cheerio

Reply posted by Nemesis86, today at 17:06

Nemesis86 replied:

Enjoy your £100m parachute payments

Comment posted by bobby smith, today at 16:59

Well that’s bad.firstly because players would be banned from playing in internationals secondly it’s just stupid and thirdly it’s bad because it’s all about money 💴.

Reply posted by Mic, today at 17:12

Mic replied:

Kerry Packer too k a risk & started a new cricket league playing shorter games to entice spectators, it worked now every country plays T20 or T30 cricket, if clubs were allowed to form a superleague it may fold or it may be the making of football as we know it. Are you happy that City & PSG are funded by countries thereby forcing transfer prices beyond most clubs!

Comment posted by revies aces, today at 17:00

Show some guts and kick the English clubs out of the Premier League even if it means a reduced TV contract- their fans would soon tell them to drop the idea and if they didn't good riddance.

Reply posted by Willie S, today at 17:07

Willie S replied:

UEFA may take the opportunity to reduce the English clubs to two.

Comment posted by P Wardle, today at 17:02

If such proposals gain traction then in simple terms fans should boycott games and not subscribe to channels showing such games. Wouldn’t last long that way

Reply posted by Leaguefan, today at 17:06

Leaguefan replied:

They won’t and it’s a GLOBAL audience who will not “boycott” it.

I don't like it. I don't like that Liverpool is a part of it given their history with the CL. I don't like that it further consolidates power and money with the top clubs. All that said, let's be honest, in all the leagues, the titles are rarely won by a team that rises up and wins out. Bunde has been ruled by Munich and very few stand a chance unless they have great talent like Dortmund or are flush with cash like Leipzig. Serie A is similar. Ligue One is similar. La Liga is mostly just Madrid and Barcelona trading titles with Atletico jumping up occasionally. The Premier League might be the most balanced but it's still ruled by the bigger clubs and oil money. I haven't read up enough on the CL format change that made this get started but I hope cooler heads prevail and they all don't kill the golden goose. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Can the USA's lower-division Pro/Rel quest affect European Super League plans?

by Beau Dure

Two seemingly unrelated forces could be on the strangest collision course in modern soccer history.

First, the Court of Arbitration for Sport has finally taken up the long-pending request for arbitration filed by Miami FC (Riccardo Silva) and Kingston Stockade (Dennis Crowley) asking FIFA to enforce its rules -- which, as we’ll see later, have multiple interpretations -- on making its members institute promotion and relegation.

Second, momentum is growing toward a European Super League. Though the rank and file of the Premier League are fighting plans to do so, the conversation isn’t likely to end. In May alone, UEFA found itself at odds with clubs over a proposal to revamp the Champions League, Borussia Dortmund managing director Hans-Joachim Watzke said such a Super League was inevitable, and prominent soccer writer Jonathan Wilsonexpressed his exasperation with the one-sided FA Cup final by saying the “least bad solution” may be to let the big clubs go off on their own.

Advertisement

And while the USA’s status as a soccer nation is often derided, Americans are playing a big role on either side of this.

On one side, Silva and Crowley are at the vanguard of a movement that has shifted from its Twitter-troll origins to a more legitimate group of committed owners. Major League Soccer and Soccer United Marketing’s stranglehold on the U.S. market is a formidable obstacle, as is the in-fighting and incoherence among reformers:

• The newly sanctioned Division 3 league NISA, which hopes to be a cornerstone of a promotion/relegation pyramid, parted ways with league executive Bob Watkins a couple of weeks after he released a video update that landed with a thud, with one of many negative Twitter responses asking, “Is this a hostage video?”

• USL, which once attempted promotion and relegation and often teases the prospect of doing it again, is suing the bare-bones but rapidly expanding UPSL, claiming trademark infringement.

• The UPSL also is pushing toward promotion/relegation, and it has done so in a couple of regions. Other regions have long-standing amateur leagues that have had promotion/relegation for decades, raising the question of why another tournament (the UPSL’s playoffs) on top of the Open Cup and Amateur Cup is necessary.

And it’s safe to say that these entities do not appear close to a merger with each other, the NPSL or the US Premiership.

On the other side of the coin are a bunch of Premier League owners and impresarios. Jonathan Clegg and Joshua Robinson, authors of the Premier League history The Club, described a Manhattan meeting in which the big clubs, heavily influenced by American owners, weighed their options. In Der Spiegel’s expose of a plans for a breakaway league, one of the alleged power brokers was American deal-maker Charlie Stillitano.

Coincidentally, Stillitano is involved in a legal dispute with U.S. Soccer over staging matches with foreign teams on American soil. Again.

Stillitano has certainly pushed the notion of a closed European league into the spotlight, saying on SiriusXM, “There are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful elements to relegation and promotion and there are good arguments for a closed system.”

So, hypothetically, let’s say the international arbitrators order FIFA to emphasize Article 9.1 (division assignments “depend principally on sporting merit”) over Article 9.2 (“may be subject to other criteria”).

What happens to the European Super League?

Don’t bet on any of this happening. An oft-cited paper by law professor Steven Bank says the chance of Silva and Crowley winning at CAS is unlikely.

But a U.S. lower-division action affecting the European giants would be the mother of unintended consequences.

Put me in Gary Neville’s camp. 

The greed is nothing new (read about the formation of the EPL if you aren’t familiar with why/how it formed). But the shitty private equity, Middle East sports-washing, petro-state clubs have made the sport significantly worse the last 15 years. 

Russia World Cup followed by Qatar World Cup tells you the corruption and greed starts at the top of the football pyramid but it’s rotten throughout. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

It's not just the shitty petro-state clubs though. Arsenal, Man U, and Liverpool are all American owned and the idea for a breakaway league was brought in by American owners at FSG. I would imagine because I again don't fully know all the details, they are doing this in reaction to Chelsea and Man City having a monetary advantage because they don't have to be run as for profit entities. I agree with Neville, something has to be done to get the EPL back under control. It's interesting that City has not signed on. Part of that could be they're on the cusp of their first Champions League title and don't want to rock the boat. Another part could be the current system is perfect for them. I do think you're going to see a move to kick the others out of their leagues if they move on and I'm fine with that. You can't have it both ways. 

Edited by mdmost

It's not just the shitty petro-state clubs though. Arsenal, Man U, and Liverpool are all American owned and the idea for a breakaway league was brought in by American owners at FSG. I would imagine because I again don't fully know all the details, they are doing this in reaction to Chelsea and Man City having a monetary advantage because they don't have to be run as for profit entities. I agree with Neville, something has to be done to get the EPL back under control. It's interesting that City has not signed on. Part of that could be they're on the cusp of their first Champions League title and don't want to rock the boat. Another part could be the current system is perfect for them. I do think you're going to see a move to kick the others out of their leagues if they move on and I'm fine with that. You can't have it both ways. 

It my understanding that City is on board with the breakaway. They are one of the 6 that are agreed to leave from the EPL.

Edit- signed on. I see what you’re saying. Yes I think that’s what I read that City is on board. They haven’t, I guess, signed up along side the other 11
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fucking billionaires fighting for control from billionaires with zero regard for supporters. The universal reaction online from club supporters and former players has been negative. Not sure where this ends but these assholes sure did detonate a big fucking bomb.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Fucking billionaires fighting for control from billionaires with zero regard for supporters. The universal reaction online from club supporters and former players has been negative. Not sure where this ends but these assholes sure did detonate a big fucking bomb.

the name of the league <"SUPER">, the backing by JP Morgan, and the Glazers.......  from the NFL.....  (the name floats on the wind.....   lamar hunt......)

the petromoney is going to catch some of the heat.... but i can very easily see The United States Sports Industry becoming the focus of rage and the presumed guilty party for this abortion.

with a token nod to letting others play, and the arrogance of actually writing the words "working with others for the best outcomes for us" and a "3 billion payment for the clubs because of rona challenges"......

this is in essence the NFLization of the top soccer clubs in europe.

would love to hear the conversations tomorrow morning when Fox calls JP Morgan and says you owe us US$1billion for destroying the value of their contract for Qatar 22 and US 26.

21 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the name of the league <"SUPER">, the backing by JP Morgan, and the Glazers.......  from the NFL.....  (the name floats on the wind.....   lamar hunt......)

the petromoney is going to catch some of the heat.... but i can very easily see The United States Sports Industry becoming the focus of rage and the presumed guilty party for this abortion.

with a token nod to letting others play, and the arrogance of actually writing the words "working with others for the best outcomes for us" and a "3 billion payment for the clubs because of rona challenges"......

this is in essence the NFLization of the top soccer clubs in europe.

would love to hear the conversations tomorrow morning when Fox calls JP Morgan and says you owe us US$1billion for destroying the value of their contract for Qatar 22 and US 26.

The Glazers, Fenway Sports Group, the Agnelli family, and Florentino Perez have been the main drivers of the European Super League. Charlie Stillitano also deserves shit for his part in this.

The NFLization of European soccer has been going on for decades (Arsenal took almost all of their Emirates arena money making ideas from American football). 

I read this book a couple years ago. If you learn about the roots of the formation of the EPL starting in the late 80’s and the second-wave between Abramovich and City’s sheikh’s then this isn’t that surprising. 

CDC2C6FC-80B6-4AD4-9A45-B3F57CE112ED.jpeg.3dc01c56d350a22585ad800930104736.jpeg

a lot of shitty hot takes being put out for and against. This is the best high level article I’ve read thus far:

• Hook 'Em 1

I know the "supporters" (myself included) think we can boycott and end this madness. That's folly. Look at the NFL. Most of the tickets sold to those games now are corporate give-aways. 

That's what will happen with tickets to Old Trafford, Anfield, etc. The "local" fans will be shut out because the demand for Barcelona vs. Liverpool at Anfield will be crazy. Welcome to American Sports, Britain. 

I know the "supporters" (myself included) think we can boycott and end this madness. That's folly. Look at the NFL. Most of the tickets sold to those games now are corporate give-aways. 
That's what will happen with tickets to Old Trafford, Anfield, etc. The "local" fans will be shut out because the demand for Barcelona vs. Liverpool at Anfield will be crazy. Welcome to American Sports, Britain. 

The only time I went to Anfield was on corporate hospitality tickets so this hits close to home or something.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bayern and Dortmund say no. Good on them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/bayern-munich-and-borussia-dortmund-not-joining-european-super-league

Arsenal fan checking in to say hell no to this stupid idea.  

Oh and as always: fuck you, Kroenke. Go fuck yourself with barbed wire and acid, and get the fuck out of our club.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

from the cbs articled posted by firemans, it looks like rudy giuliani is running their legal strategy:

"We are concerned that FIFA and UEFA may respond to this invitation letter by seeking to take punitive measures to exclude any participating club or player from their respective competitions

"Your formal statement does, however, compel us to take protective steps to secure ourselves against such an adverse reaction, which would not only jeopardize the funding commitment under the Grant but, significantly, would be unlawful. For this reason, SLCo (Super League Company) has filed a motion before the relevant courts in order to ensure the seamless establishment and operation of the Competition in accordance with applicable laws.

"It is our duty, as SLCo's board members, to ensure that all reasonable actions available to protect the interests of the Competition and our stakeholders are duly taken, given the irreparable damage that would be suffered if, for any reason, we were deprived of the opportunity to form promptly the Competition and distribute the proceeds of the Grant."

A few thoughts assuming that the Super League moves forward:

1.  The Super League doesn't strike me as much different than the expanded Champions League beyond the permanent member structure.  If the expanded Champions League can fit within the schedule, so can the Super League.  The closer the CL gets to a Super League, the more likely a Super League becomes.

2.  Bayern and Leipzig will join if the original 12 members can survive the initial legal challenges.  Don't care what they say now.  Elite teams that don't join will fade into irrelevance and place themselves at a massive economic disadvantage.  What is PSG's value if they only play in Ligue 1 and the watered down CL?  Hundreds of millions less.  It makes sense for them to oppose the Super League now because of German and French football politics, but if the Super League becomes inevitable they will use the foregoing arguments to jump ship.  "We didn't have a choice."

3.  The EPL really isn't in a position to kick out the 5 clubs that matter in England and Tottenham.  Same with Serie A and La Liga.  Those threats strike me as complete bluffs.  The EPL without the Big 6 is basically the Championship.  La Liga is Barca/Madrid.     

4.  Similarly, the World Cup and the Euros can't disqualify the best players in the world from their international competitions.  They would immediately be rendered meaningless.  As others have analogized, the new competitions would be akin to the men's Olympic soccer which no one watches or cares about.

5.  I would be surprised if the Super League ultimately includes any non-permanent members.  You are either a part of the closed system or you are out of it.    

6.  The leading global football organizations all sold their souls to monied interests a long time ago.  It is difficult to conceive of a more corrupt organization than FIFA, a more elitist one than UEFA or a greedier one than the EPL.  They allowed the leading teams to be acquired by their peers in greed and corruption and are now SHOCKED that the club owners want to keep all of the pie.  What did they expect when they allowed Man United to be acquired through an LBO or Chelsea to be acquired by a Russian mafioso or Liverpool to be acquired by private equity vultures or City to be acquired by a petrostate?  

7.  The last true outsiders to make the CL final were Porto and Monaco in 2003-2004.  All finalists since then come from the 12 other than Bayern, PSG and Dortmund.  We are a long, long way from Nottingham Forest beating Malmo in the final of the old European Cup.  The irony of the proposal is that small teams may actually be able to win the watered down CL.               

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

If they really want to make a mark, declare PSG the CL winner since the other 3 are no longer allowed to be in the competition. Or revert to Bayern, Dortmund, and Porto being in the semis.

same with Europa League- KO Arsenal and UTD and put Roma and Valencia straight through to the final.

38 minutes ago, alincoln said:

A few thoughts assuming that the Super League moves forward:

1.  The Super League doesn't strike me as much different than the expanded Champions League beyond the permanent member structure.  If the expanded Champions League can fit within the schedule, so can the Super League.  The closer the CL gets to a Super League, the more likely a Super League becomes.

2.  Bayern and Leipzig will join if the original 12 members can survive the initial legal challenges.  Don't care what they say now.  Elite teams that don't join will fade into irrelevance and place themselves at a massive economic disadvantage.  What is PSG's value if they only play in Ligue 1 and the watered down CL?  Hundreds of millions less.  It makes sense for them to oppose the Super League now because of German and French football politics, but if the Super League becomes inevitable they will use the foregoing arguments to jump ship.  "We didn't have a choice."

3.  The EPL really isn't in a position to kick out the 5 clubs that matter in England and Tottenham.  Same with Serie A and La Liga.  Those threats strike me as complete bluffs.  The EPL without the Big 6 is basically the Championship.  La Liga is Barca/Madrid.     

4.  Similarly, the World Cup and the Euros can't disqualify the best players in the world from their international competitions.  They would immediately be rendered meaningless.  As others have analogized, the new competitions would be akin to the men's Olympic soccer which no one watches or cares about.

5.  I would be surprised if the Super League ultimately includes any non-permanent members.  You are either a part of the closed system or you are out of it.    

6.  The leading global football organizations all sold their souls to monied interests a long time ago.  It is difficult to conceive of a more corrupt organization than FIFA, a more elitist one than UEFA or a greedier one than the EPL.  They allowed the leading teams to be acquired by their peers in greed and corruption and are now SHOCKED that the club owners want to keep all of the pie.  What did they expect when they allowed Man United to be acquired through an LBO or Chelsea to be acquired by a Russian mafioso or Liverpool to be acquired by private equity vultures or City to be acquired by a petrostate?  

7.  The last true outsiders to make the CL final were Porto and Monaco in 2003-2004.  All finalists since then come from the 12 other than Bayern, PSG and Dortmund.  We are a long, long way from Nottingham Forest beating Malmo in the final of the old European Cup.  The irony of the proposal is that small teams may actually be able to win the watered down CL.               

the counter-argument, that the 50+1 german model = 10 barn titles in a row, ergo the franchise model delivers parity like in the nfl.......

l542mnq08u341.thumb.png.ba32610436380faa15efdaa276931c32.png