Say something good about the Trump presidency. I’m serious.

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I know you’re saying Trump ultimately failed these policies with poor execution, but I argue he never actually supports those things. 

Supporting China in establishing concentration camps to round up, imprison, and execute minorities is a funny way of standing up to them - it also fucks 2 centuries of reputation we built supporting religious freedom. 

Also Trump’s veto to keep US involved in the Yemeni Civil War isn’t exactly ending foreign entanglements. Ignore the “US troops in Afghanistan home by Christmas” tweets and look at real actions by this administration. Even philosophically the policies you cite aren’t actual goals advanced by this administration 

Ok, best case scenario he’s completely incompetent as an executive and incapable of forming a coherent strategy much less directing one to a successful conclusion.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I know you’re saying Trump ultimately failed these policies with poor execution, but I argue he never actually supports those things. 

Supporting China in establishing concentration camps to round up, imprison, and execute minorities is a funny way of standing up to them - it also fucks 2 centuries of reputation we built supporting religious freedom. 

Thus the reason I made the distinction between economic and human rights policies in the original post.

Some of you guys need to tone back the instant defense mechanism reaction. You're not even seeking conversation, you're scanning posts to find something to be indignant at. The conversation specifically and expressly centers around economic policies. Nobody is talking about the Ughurs and nobody is saying "Trump did well on Civil Rights with China". Damn. Read the post.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Trump sees problems but his execution is horrific at best. To explain it to my 12 year old daughter while sitting at the dinner table I said, "If the front door was open Trump would see that and know that he needed to close it. However, he would throw things at it to close it, and he would keep throwing things at it breaking all the windows around it, and all the items he threw, without ever actually thinking to get up and walk over and close the door".

I will say that Trump has exposed a large percentage of my friend base, and for that I am thankful.

The idea that Trump actually cares about confronting China in the interest of our country is laughable. Talking about confronting China is useful to him both politically and financially, so he does it. That's it. It's not like he's actually angry that China is stealing Google's IP.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It did remind us vividly that we had a latent moron problem.

It's probably important from here on in to have a strategery to deal with the morons.

This.  It's the only upside.  A horrifying, awful upside.

It's like if the Dr. suddenly suspects you have cancer, and does a full body scan......the past 12 years has been us getting the results of that scan.  We are riddle with cancer.  Everywhere.  Brain cancer, ass cancer, ball cancer, lung cancer.....all of it....everywhere.

The "upside" is that you can't treat it if you don't know you have it.  So, we've cleared the first hurdle.  We know that we are a REALLY sick patient.  Of course, in terms of getting treatment, half the country still thinks that cancer is GOOD for us (being that they ARE the cancer, that makes sense).....so....yeah.

We have found out we're really, really ill.  That's good.  But man.....it's hard to think of a viable course of treatment that keeps us alive.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The idea that Trump actually cares about confronting China in the interest of our country is laughable. Talking about confronting China is useful to him both politically and financially, so he does it. That's it. It's not like he's actually angry that China is stealing Google's IP.

quote-you-are-what-your-record-says-you-

There's really no point to this thread if we're just going to wait for anyone to post anything even remotely pertinent to the thread title then attack and neg rep and piss and moan about what they said. Might as well call it the "let's all jack each other off about how terrible Trump is for the millionth time" thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 8:28 PM, Dbeasy said:

I’ve gone from hoping that some of his policies might be worthwhile early in his Presidency to realizing he is an absolute disaster. Every single policy issue has been fumbled, not because of the general idea but because of his infantile, ridiculous approach to the issues.

1. North Korea - at first the novel approach seemed interesting until it became clear that he just wanted photo ops and to be seen trying to do something. Total farce.

2. Tax cut - wrong structure that harmed the middle class and ballooned the deficit.

3. China Trade - its all hat no cattle.

4. NAFTA - see #3.

5. Pulling troops from Afghanistan and Syria - not necessarily a bad idea but handled like a moron.

6. Healthcare - nada.

7. EPA - terrible appointment and massive over-rotation to the objectively bad policy.

8. Immigration - he’s accomplished nothing, and even worse he’s polarized the country over a stupid wall when he could have been working on reasonable compromises that made sense.

9. Trade - see #3.

10. Supreme Court Appointment - too conservative, ie Stone Age mentality.

11. Israel - unabashed pandering, rather than objective recognition of the rights of Palestinians.

12. Iran - no observable value at this point to blowing up the agreement. Maybe something comes out of it but I highly doubt it given the moron’s track record.

13. Deficit - worst ever.

14. Trade deficit - terrible.

15. Country Unity - horrific.

16. Maturity - non existent.

17. Integrity - none. He lies every single day, multiple times a day.

18. Military Transexual Policy - he could have addressed the issue of using the military health benefits as a means for free sex changes differently, rather than just banning them all. For example, military doesn’t pay for sex change treatments. If these folks want to be warriors for our country, we should support them.

19. Education - appointed an absolute idiot. There might be some merit to innovative private school structures and school choice, but unqualified morons can’t create a sensible policy and that’s who he put in charge.

20. Energy - Drill baby drill, with zero thought to the environmental aspects of the policy.

I honestly can’t think of one single thing he’s done successfully. It’s just a giant shell game that will eventually come crashing down once the over-stimulus of excess spending to prop up the economy eventually fails.

Everything still holds up from my post a year and a half ago, and amazingly, it's gotten even worse:

21. Covid - fumbled response and personally responsible for the country not getting this under control because of his idiotic refusal to advocate for an wear masks, and social distance.

22. Racial Tensions - has inflamed the country with his rhetoric and actions, making the situation even more volatile and people of been killed as a result.

23. Emboldened White Supremacists - his actions and rhetoric have done the same for white supremacists.

24, 25, 26.....

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Everything still holds up from my post a year and a half ago, and amazingly, it's gotten even worse:

21. Covid - fumbled response and personally responsible for the country not getting this under control because of his idiotic refusal to advocate for an wear masks, and social distance.

22. Racial Tensions - has inflamed the country with his rhetoric and actions, making the situation even more volatile and people of been killed as a result.

23. Emboldened White Supremacists - his actions and rhetoric have done the same for white supremacists.

24, 25, 26.....

Oh, and don't sleep on how many of your first 20 topics have gotten shittier -- MUCH shittier:

1. North Korea - at first the novel approach seemed interesting until it became clear that he just wanted photo ops and to be seen trying to do something. Total farce.

2. Tax cut - wrong structure that harmed the middle class and ballooned the deficit.  Turns out, it was extra-dumb for EXACTLY the reason many warned against it: in good times, you don't blow your wad on stimulus-type stuff, because you need to save it for a rainy day.  And it's been pouring rain for 7 fucking months now.

3. China Trade - its all hat no cattle.

4. NAFTA - see #3.

5. Pulling troops from Afghanistan and Syria - not necessarily a bad idea but handled like a moron.

6. Healthcare - nada.  It's even worse.  It's continuous, seriatim lies about "it's coming in two weeks."  And lies about covering pre-existing conditions.....while the admin is fighting like a gladiator to take away THE plan that was drafted to cover pre-existing conditions.....while millions of Americans have contracted a deadly disease that will be a "pre-existing condition."

7. EPA - terrible appointment and massive over-rotation to the objectively bad policy.

8. Immigration - he’s accomplished nothing, and even worse he’s polarized the country over a stupid wall when he could have been working on reasonable compromises that made sense.

9. Trade - see #3.

10. Supreme Court Appointment - too conservative, ie Stone Age mentality.  And he managed to claim the "rank hypocrisy" crown for all time, with a nomination literally days before the election.

11. Israel - unabashed pandering, rather than objective recognition of the rights of Palestinians.

12. Iran - no observable value at this point to blowing up the agreement. Maybe something comes out of it but I highly doubt it given the moron’s track record.

13. Deficit - worst ever.  And getting mucho worser -- see the tax cut comment.

14. Trade deficit - terrible.

15. Country Unity - horrific.  And descending into a low-intensity civil war.  He has already openly stated that he will do things for "red states," and wants to punish "blue states."  As the racial divide has flared up again, he has not only not put out the fire, he has tossed gasoline on it.

16. Maturity - non existent.

17. Integrity - none. He lies every single day, multiple times a day.

18. Military Transexual Policy - he could have addressed the issue of using the military health benefits as a means for free sex changes differently, rather than just banning them all. For example, military doesn’t pay for sex change treatments. If these folks want to be warriors for our country, we should support them.

19. Education - appointed an absolute idiot. There might be some merit to innovative private school structures and school choice, but unqualified morons can’t create a sensible policy and that’s who he put in charge.

20. Energy - Drill baby drill, with zero thought to the environmental aspects of the policy.

I honestly can’t think of one single thing he’s done successfully. It’s just a giant shell game that will eventually come crashing down once the over-stimulus of excess spending to prop up the economy eventually fails.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I like the general idea of getting rid of regulations.  Self imposed rules like "For every new regulation, we need to get rid of two or three".

The problem is, I only want us to get rid of bad regulations, or regulations that are duplicative or the cost clearly outweigh the benefits.  The failure to correctly value environmental regulations is criminal with this administration. 

Yeah.  My favorite idea is to sunset basically every law and regulation.  It comes up for review every X years and is automagically repealed unless re-enacted, maybe even after a comment period.

As a rare, maybe the sole positive, I will cite the First Step Act, the first semi-comprehensive criminal justice reform bill at the federal level in decades, maybe ever.  Nowhere near enough.

And it was really Kushner's deal, Trump just thought he could curry black vote with it.

But it did show that politicians could touch that third rail without blowing themselves up and that CJ reform does not automagically equate to skyrocketing murder and child molestation in the suburbs.

Yeah.  My favorite idea is to sunset basically every law and regulation.  It comes up for review every X years and is automagically repealed unless re-enacted, maybe even after a comment period.

Even the law enacting sunsetting, smart guy?

You couldn’t get murder banned by this current administration.

• 1 year later...