2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

ok, so a few comments/questions about the Acho video above:

1. He said the 2 biggest plays of 2009 were special teams plays....Jordan Shipley's Kick return for a TD was in the 2008 RRS, not the 2009. His second special teams play was Gideon's interception in the Natty? On the fake punt? We lost the game, how was that one of the biggest plays of the year?

2. what about our FG in the big 12 with an extra second put back on the clock which got us to the rose bowl?

3. his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me sometimes

• Hook 'Em 5

1. He said the 2 biggest plays of 2009 were special teams plays....Jordan Shipley's Kick return for a TD was in the 2008 RRS, not the 2009. His second special teams play was Gideon's interception in the Natty? On the fake punt? We lost the game, how was that one of the biggest plays of the year?
2. what about our FG in the big 12 with an extra second put back on the clock which got us to the rose bowl?

Gideon’s int on 4th down was a loss of 20-30 yards. He catches what he’s supposed to drop, and drops what he’s...
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Yeah Shipley had a long of 3 yards in the 2009 game. It was just ugly to watch. 

Texas coaches are expected to get together as an entire group for the first time this week.

While Steve Sarkisian announced nine of his 10 on-field hires Friday, several of them still hadn’t made their way to Austin and there was the Covid protocol many of them were observing.

That changes this week.

Sarkisian’s group, from defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski and linebacker coach Jeff Choate, to personnel director Drew Hughes, are expected to finally get to Austin today or early this week.

I’m impressed with the staff Sarkisian has put together. I’m also impressed with Sarkisian’s decision to keep some of the existing staff (Stan Drayton, Andre Coleman, and support staff) for continuity. It was a shrewd move, not only for the institutional knowledge of some of the players and the team they bring, but also because of who the coaches Sarkisian selected to stay.

It’s something Tom Herman refused to do altogether, even with someone like Jeff Traylor sitting there available to him. It’s something Charlie Strong chose poorly on, keeping Bruce Chambers instead of a number of other more productive assistants.

With his staff filled out, Sarkisian enters this week with three major goals in mind.

1. Get his staff thinking and working as a team.

2. Players begin their workouts.

3. Recruiting takes center stage.

Most of the recruiting to this point has been done individually. Assistant coaches are out there making pitches and getting to know many recruits to make up for lost time. But there hasn’t been that first, all-hands recruiting meeting, one where everyone gets their marching orders.

There are other nuances to be considered.

Drew Hughes, over the next few days, will learn more about exactly what kind of player Kwiatkowski wants and needs in his defensive system. It’s where Hughes will develop a rapport with others on the offensive staff and get a better understanding of the landscape before him.

It’s where Drayton, Coleman and important off-field holdovers like Bryan Carrington, Brandon Harris, Jake Langi, Jon Michael Jones and others can make sure their input is heard and understood.

Sarkisian will also be recruiting multiple classes simultaneously. There are a number of 2021 prospects yet to make decisions. There is the portal to be dealt with. And then there is absolute need not to get too far behind in the class of 2022 and make up that time as quickly as possible.

With all of the hires made, Sarkisian can finally focus entirely on moving Texas forward. The news cycle may not be big this week - outside of a commitment - but it’s a big one nonetheless for the future of Texas football.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Man, CDC has put us in a hell of a position to build a dynasty in the Big 12 or whatever remains after conference realignment.  If we can't win with this staff, then all the haters saying that say Texas is systemically broken and toxic will be proven right.  I really hope that they're wrong and it was just about finding the right coach at the right time.    

• Drool 1

15 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

He lost me forever when he made and posted a video trying to portray his time as a Texas athlete as a miserable experience. 

You mean, when he "re-imagined" it?

Yeah, a lot of that going around.

But The Eyes of Texas are always watching.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

He lost me forever when he made and posted a video trying to portray his time as a Texas athlete as a miserable experience. 

He lost me forever when he was a host on LHN during our games and proceeded to do nothing but bitch about the team, even after wins. Then he went on twitter and bashed us and the players basically told him to pound sand and never come back. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, RichUT said:

He’s retiring.

Do we still have anybody with close ties to the HS coaches? We didn't retain many from TH's staff (which is a good thing). I know Carrington's still here and that's good, but I was hoping we could have "one of them" to interface with the coaches around the state.

5 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

Do we still have anybody with close ties to the HS coaches? We didn't retain many from TH's staff (which is a good thing). I know Carrington's still here and that's good, but I was hoping we could have "one of them" to interface with the coaches around the state.

Sark's going to hire two high school relations directors. And Gideon's tight with a lot of the coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

WORKOUTS

The players will officially begin workouts this week, though we’re not entirely sure what that schedule or workout plan looks like.

Last week, some players were able to get in 1 on 1 sessions with new S&C coach Torre Becton. As we mentioned in the Humidor, much of the work to this point has been centered around easing back into the swing of things before the heavy workload begins.

Becton’s personality so far seems to be a hit, especially after Yancy McKnight’s disposition wore so many thin. We’ll see if that sentiment is fleeting or a permanent fixture. The company line so far is the players are more strong than they are football strong. We’re curious to hear more about the lead up to spring football.

PERSONNEL

If Texas paying Jeff Banks north of $1 million didn’t underline the commitment to landing recruits, the pending investment in the personnel department should. We’re expecting an influx in the department of people with strong ties to the state. We were given no names but it sounds like the budget has been increased quite a bit.

Drew Hughes was a strong hire but he’s flying a bit blind as he gets familiar with his new environs. He’ll have plenty of help. Not only did Sarkisian decide to keep Bryan Carrington, Jake Langi, and Brandon Harris, but it sounds like some new names will be added.

If you’ve worked for Nick Saban and Pete Carroll you understand the importance of talent acquisition.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Jeff Traylor must have incriminating evidence of every 9.95r out there. I have never seen a coach get constantly mentioned over and over. It’s ridiculous. 

Feels like it's IT leading the charge trying to make the cult of Jeff Traylor happen. They built him up to the point where they had lots of people on that board hoping he would be the head coach hire. 

One of those guys (Wells?) lives in Tyler. I'm assuming he knows Jeff or his brother to a certain extent and it's good for the site's access if he keeps climbing the ranks. 

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Feels like it's IT leading the charge trying to make the cult of Jeff Traylor happen. They built him up to the point where they had lots of people on that board hoping he would be the head coach hire. 

One of those guys (Wells?) lives in Tyler. I'm assuming he knows Jeff or his brother to a certain extent and it's good for the site's access if he keeps climbing the ranks. 

Yeah it's Wells. He's neurotic about how amazing everything East Texas is.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

WORKOUTS

The players will officially begin workouts this week, though we’re not entirely sure what that schedule or workout plan looks like.

Last week, some players were able to get in 1 on 1 sessions with new S&C coach Torre Becton. As we mentioned in the Humidor, much of the work to this point has been centered around easing back into the swing of things before the heavy workload begins.

Becton’s personality so far seems to be a hit, especially after Yancy McKnight’s disposition wore so many thin. We’ll see if that sentiment is fleeting or a permanent fixture. The company line so far is the players are more strong than they are football strong. We’re curious to hear more about the lead up to spring football.

PERSONNEL

If Texas paying Jeff Banks north of $1 million didn’t underline the commitment to landing recruits, the pending investment in the personnel department should. We’re expecting an influx in the department of people with strong ties to the state. We were given no names but it sounds like the budget has been increased quite a bit.

Drew Hughes was a strong hire but he’s flying a bit blind as he gets familiar with his new environs. He’ll have plenty of help. Not only did Sarkisian decide to keep Bryan Carrington, Jake Langi, and Brandon Harris, but it sounds like some new names will be added.

If you’ve worked for Nick Saban and Pete Carroll you understand the importance of talent acquisition.

I really hope we start hearing about Becton slimming some of these guys down. We had way too many guys get too heavy under Yancy.

Sweat and Coburn need to cut weight. Keiontay’s gone, but he gained way too much weight for his frame. Bimage opted out and talked about losing weight to play DE. Jacob’s Jones would probably be better served around 250ish than 265. 

Hopefully Becton is smart about this stuff, but we’ve been hoping that of the last 4 or 5 S&C coaches, so we’ll see. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Gerry has a high opinion of Traylor too.  He might get talked up a lot because he is in fact a good coach who lots of people also like because he's a good dude.

Yeah I have no doubt that he's a good guy and coach. He does get brought up an inordinate amount for a former assistant and UTSA head coach though.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

WORKOUTS

PERSONNEL

Ah yes, it's that time of year when we shit on the outgoing strength coach and fellate the new one.  

Good times.  

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Traylor was the head coach at Gilmer I believe before Charlie hired him.  I believe Traylor's brother is or was the head coach at Robert E. Lee (now Tyler Legacy).  It's all about keeping that access in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

Traylor was the head coach at Gilmer I believe before Charlie hired him.  I believe Traylor's brother is or was the head coach at Robert E. Lee (now Tyler Legacy).  It's all about keeping that access in my opinion. 

What? I’m sure it has much more to do with his ability to coach. He was a major success at Gilmer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

What? I’m sure it has much more to do with his ability to coach. He was a major success at Gilmer.

Traylor's brother isn't the head coach at Lee any longer, just looked it up. 

While he may be a good coach, I think he'll get his shot at a position coach at a P5 within the next few years, maybe an OC spot.  I just don't see him jumping straight to the HC of a P5 from UTSA.

9 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I think his brother was at Lee for a few years and then joined him on the staff at UTSA. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Don't really have an opinion on the matter.  There are plenty who seem to love the new guy, but there were plenty who were lauding the last guy.

I just find it humorous how we always go through this.  

Yeah, we always claim the last S&C guy was the worst ever and the new S&C guy will come in and fix everything. 

time-is-a-flat-circle-gif-8.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He lost me forever when he was a host on LHN during our games and proceeded to do nothing but bitch about the team, even after wins. Then he went on twitter and bashed us and the players basically told him to pound sand and never come back. 

As a non-cunt, a man, and sports media former UT player, Acho couldn't and still can't carry Brian Jones jock.

Fight me!

• Hook 'Em 5