Phil Collins is back behind the drums

Buzzrock

• 4 months later...

The videos of him, hobbled, are painful for me to watch. But happy he's back on the saddle. 

He's one of the most talented living musicians, full stop. I'm not a fan of his later career - the top 40 stuff - but you can't knock how successful it was. He's an immensely talented songwriter. 

He's also one of the best drummers who ever was. Early Genesis stuff is amazing, and even early post-Peter as well. 

Not Phil, just some kid who gets his spirit (on a pretty technically challenging track):

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I have a soft spot for Phil Collins. People from my generation don't know any of his shit besides In The Air Tonight (or fucking Tarzan or whatever) and people from older generations seem to think of his solo stuff as a little too safe and poppy and... am I allowed to say gay? If not just played out I suppose. I guess all the Disney shit maybe didn't help with that. 

I have at least one of his records on vinyl - I might have two (I think I do have both Hello I Must be Going and No Jacket Required).

I think they're both fantastic yet despite his popularity I think it's a very niche sound he crafts on a lot of tracks hence why I think a lot of his stuff has fallen out of the public ear. As a result it seems like he's become underappreciated and almost forgotten in some ways as an artist. Many other 80s pop acts have found more staying power. 

Talking about badass drum tracks (or just badass tracks in general)...

And this is just pure brilliance and one of my favorite tracks ever (and videos actually - so I'll post that) that I can always listen to...

(Now I'm not going to say anything crazy like I think he was more talented than Peter or made better music) 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

Saw Genesis in '84.  They killed it.  Played a fair amount of their old stuff along with all the (at the time) new and popular songs.  Chester Thompson drummed on most of the setlist, but Phil went back behind the skins for a few, IIRC.  (My memory is a little hazy.  Passed out on my front lawn for a while when I got home after that show.)

Edited by Carl Spackler

Isn't Don't Lose My Number the one where he just ad libbed the lyrics while they were recording it?  That's impressive and telling all at the same time.  

I think some of the criticism of his solo work is fair. He is a legendary-level drummer, no doubt about that.  But even he says Sussudio sucks. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He has a style that I can't really put on anyone else.

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

despite his popularity I think it's a very niche sound he crafts on a lot of tracks hence why I think a lot of his stuff has fallen out of the public ear.

Yeah. I think we have a similar take here. 

• 9 months later...
On 1/9/2021 at 7:18 PM, Handcruser said:

That’s old.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:03 PM, Buzzrock said:

You’re old

This sure as shit makes me feel old. Dude looks ancient all of the sudden, but I guess he is 71

Phil Collins remained seated in a chair while on tour with his Genesis bandmates. <span class="copyright"> Gin Wetzler/Redferns)</span>

https://www.yahoo.com/news/phil-collins-remains-seated-during-185606853.html

Edited by Blotto

Damn. Incidentally, his drum setup was very unique and used symphonic toms set too far out of reach and many said he set his seat “too high” to reach which meant he was making very fast, fine motor movements while stretched out too far. Result was some bad lower back shit.

But as one of our resident drummers, I’ll add my voice to the record that Phil is laughably underrated and absolutely phenomenal as not only a drummer but as a contributor to the potential and canon of the instrument. His brilliance as a drummer was overshadowed by his prominence later as a pop artist and singer. But he wasn’t too goddamn shabby there - solo or with post Gabriel Genesis. And even then his drum compositions are deceptively simple sounding but hard to chart/play AND he was a pioneer in mixing acoustic and electronic sounds, triggers, synthesizers, etc.

In terms of just sheer versatility and musicianship (to say nothing of his monstrous technical chops as a drummer), I would hazard to say he’s on par with Prince.

And back specifically to the drummer part: when Chester-fucking-Thompson is your “understudy” for touring over several decades, you know you’re dealing with a virtuoso behind the kit.

Oh, and the Alamo shit is just fascinating to me. Like, he’s a big fucking ego-less, curious nerd. Who happens to sell out coliseums and stadiums since many of us were tots. Veers toward Rush level nerdiness but with an oddly specific Texas focus. I dig it.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Damn. Incidentally, his drum setup was very unique and used symphonic toms set too far out of reach and many said he set his seat “too high” to reach which meant he was making very fast, fine motor movements while stretched out too far. Result was some bad lower back shit.

But as one of our resident drummers, I’ll add my voice to the record that Phil is laughably underrated and absolutely phenomenal as not only a drummer but as a contributor to the potential and canon of the instrument. His brilliance as a drummer was overshadowed by his prominence later as a pop artist and singer. But he wasn’t too goddamn shabby there - solo or with post Gabriel Genesis. And even then his drum compositions are deceptively simple sounding but hard to chart/play AND he was a pioneer in mixing acoustic and electronic sounds, triggers, synthesizers, etc.

In terms of just sheer versatility and musicianship (to say nothing of his monstrous technical chops as a drummer), I would hazard to say he’s on par with Prince.

And back specifically to the drummer part: when Chester-fucking-Thompson is your “understudy” for touring over several decades, you know you’re dealing with a virtuoso behind the kit.

Oh, and the Alamo shit is just fascinating to me. Like, he’s a big fucking ego-less, curious nerd. Who happens to sell out coliseums and stadiums since many of us were tots. Veers toward Rush level nerdiness but with an oddly specific Texas focus. I dig it.

I love this fact about his solo album Both Sides (1993):

"Both Sides was notable for the fact that Collins made it entirely on his own, without usual collaborators producer Hugh Padgham, guitarist Daryl Stuermer, bassist Leland Sklar and the Phenix Horns. After recording demos at home, the album was finished in just six weeks at the Farm with the help of producer/engineer Paul Gomersall. For the first and only time in his career, Collins played all the instruments himself as well as taking care of the primary production duties. In addition, Collins wrote sleeve notes explaining the meaning of each song, another first."

I remember Symphonic Tom. Loved that guy. Kinda loud though.
  • Like 1