model railroading

Hagbard Celine

On 10/6/2022 at 10:16 AM, blacklab said:

I have a moral dilemma.

My dad was huge into model railroading. As a kid we had half the garage set aside. After he retired one of his bedrooms was dedicated to a layout.

I got everything when he passed away. I have over 100 engines and over 1000 various cars and enough buildings to cover probably 100 square feet. One of my kids is mildly interested in it, we've set up a table in his room to put a layout on, but the other has no interest. 

We went to King's hobby a few weeks ago looking for track and my kid is bragging about how much stuff we have to the guy working and his eyes light up and gives us a card of their buyer and says they buy everything they can get their hands on. I look at some of the prices for used items and am shocked by how high they are.

Am I a bad person if I sell off some of my dad's stuff? I do want my kids to get some of it but there's so much it just seems to be a waste gathering dust in a closet.

Would you mind DM'ing me or posting the contact info of the buyer? 

On 10/6/2022 at 10:16 AM, blacklab said:

I have a moral dilemma.

My dad was huge into model railroading. As a kid we had half the garage set aside. After he retired one of his bedrooms was dedicated to a layout.

I got everything when he passed away. I have over 100 engines and over 1000 various cars and enough buildings to cover probably 100 square feet. One of my kids is mildly interested in it, we've set up a table in his room to put a layout on, but the other has no interest. 

We went to King's hobby a few weeks ago looking for track and my kid is bragging about how much stuff we have to the guy working and his eyes light up and gives us a card of their buyer and says they buy everything they can get their hands on. I look at some of the prices for used items and am shocked by how high they are.

Am I a bad person if I sell off some of my dad's stuff? I do want my kids to get some of it but there's so much it just seems to be a waste gathering dust in a closet.

echo the earlier sentiments.  i know nothing about train modeling whatsoever but it certainly seems to bring some people immense joy and happiness...and a raison d'etre.  if they are as significant as you say and you or the kids don't have any earnest interest in them, let them go forward to the people that will truly enjoy them.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I suspect many that are into model railroading are also rail fans in general. Some of y’all might visit the photography thread and have seen I have a lot of photos of trains and all things railroad. Do y’all think or would y’all appreciate a dedicated thread with those kind of photos (and I assume others would contribute as well)?

I don’t think I am a true rail fan that knows all the rare units or heritage units and history of each rail line. I came from the angle of documenting train graffiti but then I just started shooting it all.

• Hook 'Em 1

For those who like to play with 1:1 scale railroads, this guy train-hops all over Mexico and the US. Long video but I found myself watching all of it plus some others.
Also kinda glad I didn't see footage like this when I was 20, or I would either be an old homeless guy by now, or else an unidentified chopped-in-two skeleton laid across tracks in the desert somewhere.

This guy has some great videos and is pretty famous amongst train hoppers and graffiti writers (to an extent). But I like watching Stobe The Hobo more (RIP).

Also, now that I actually have scrolled through the thread it looks like this IS the rail fan thread. I will post some shots.
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Alright, here are several.  Most digital, some film...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The F9 KC Southern locomotive shot is great. My Dad was a railway mail clerk back in the 50's and 60's and that was the primary loco of the time. My brother and I got to know most of the engineers and conductors that were on Santa Fe's Texas Chief from Newton, KS to Ft Worth. We got to spend time in the cab and pretty much ran wild at the Newton depot. Pretty heady stuff for a couple of elementary aged kids. I always appreciate the train pics, Swayze

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Perhaps I am wrong, but I suspect many that are into model railroading are also rail fans in general. Some of y’all might visit the photography thread and have seen I have a lot of photos of trains and all things railroad. Do y’all think or would y’all appreciate a dedicated thread with those kind of photos (and I assume others would contribute as well)?

I don’t think I am a true rail fan that knows all the rare units or heritage units and history of each rail line. I came from the angle of documenting train graffiti but then I just started shooting it all.

100%. I follow a lot of rail photog accounts on IG myself.

33 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

The F9 KC Southern locomotive shot is great. My Dad was a railway mail clerk back in the 50's and 60's and that was the primary loco of the time. My brother and I got to know most of the engineers and conductors that were on Santa Fe's Texas Chief from Newton, KS to Ft Worth. We got to spend time in the cab and pretty much ran wild at the Newton depot. Pretty heady stuff for a couple of elementary aged kids. I always appreciate the train pics, Swayze

Nice, I actually have a friend who's wife is from Newton.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

That's great.  In the US, the only train I have ever been (besides subways and such) on was a commuter from DC to NYC.  I have never been on an Amtrak.  I should fix that.  A friend of mine that hops trains wants to take me on a short trip, something like San Antonio and back.  I might take him up on that.

Here are some more:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That's great.  In the US, the only train I have ever been (besides subways and such) on was a commuter from DC to NYC.  I have never been on an Amtrak.  I should fix that.  A friend of mine that hops trains wants to take me on a short trip, something like San Antonio and back.  I might take him up on that.

Here are some more:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll buy a copy of the BNSF in the wind farm if you will sell.

also any E9 or F9 Santa Fe's that you encounter need to be photographed. That's an easy sale.

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I'll buy a copy of the BNSF in the wind farm if you will sell.

also any E9 or F9 Santa Fe's that you encounter need to be photographed. That's an easy sale.

Definitely willing to sell that print.  I have another from that same trip to NM that I like more from a photography standpoint (below), but yeah, send me a DM and we can work it out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

20 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Definitely willing to sell that print.  I have another from that same trip to NM that I like more from a photography standpoint (below), but yeah, send me a DM and we can work it out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A few years ago, the company that I work for, was developing a piece of equipment for BNSF for use in their railyards.  As a member of the development team I had the opportunity to travel to BNSF's corporate offices in Ft. Worth.  Throughout their facility they have original artwork (mostly paintings) worth millions promoting rail travel through the Southwest.  Many of the paintings were made into travel posters and were used through the 1950's.  It was really cool to see and to reflect on the nostalgic and romantic time of rail travel to fascinating places with awesome landscapes prior to the popularity of air travel.

Your images, particularly those taken in NM, reminds me of the visit and captures the feel of the travel in times past.

On 10/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

That would be awesome to tour their facilities.  And I am flattered that my photos stoke those kind of emotions.  The western US is definitely the best for railroad photography.  At least in my opinion.

Trying not to post duplicates, but also too lazy to look...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

If you should decide to take an extended railfan picture trip, come up here and I can show you around some of the Santa Fe route through the Flint Hills.  You could sell a lot of those to the SF employees around here. There are some beautiful cuts through the hills between Emporia and El Dorado and quite a few abandoned buildings and depots. One of my wife's HS classmates is a retired SF engineer in Strong City.  I don't know if that gives him access to anything special but he likes to talk about it.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

• 7 months later...
If you should decide to take an extended railfan picture trip, come up here and I can show you around some of the Santa Fe route through the Flint Hills.  You could sell a lot of those to the SF employees around here. There are some beautiful cuts through the hills between Emporia and El Dorado and quite a few abandoned buildings and depots. One of my wife's HS classmates is a retired SF engineer in Strong City.  I don't know if that gives him access to anything special but he likes to talk about it.

That sounds awesome. I need to make time for something like that!
  • Like 1