That perfect song and why it is so

Goredho

Goddammit.  Prompted by my thoughts and post last night, I just played Kilkelly, Ireland, start to finish.  And I'm missing the hell out of my daughter.  She's been going through a lot this past week, feeling isolated, and we've felt so helpless, because no matter what happens, we literally cannot go see her, could not go help her in any way (across a border, pandemic restrictions are strict).

And I listen to these lyrics.

Kilkelly, Ireland, 18 and 60, my dear and loving son John
Your good friend the schoolmaster Pat McNamara's so good
As to write these words down.
Your brothers have all gone to find work in England,
The house is so empty and sad
The crop of potatoes is sorely infected,
A third to a half of them bad.
And your sister Brigid and Patrick O'Donnell
Are going to be married in June.
Your mother says not to work on the railroad
And be sure to come on home soon.

Kilkelly, Ireland, 18 and 70, dear and loving son John
Hello to your Mrs and to your 4 children,
May they grow healthy and strong.
Michael has got in a wee bit of trouble,
I guess that he never will learn.
Because of the dampness there's no turf to speak of
And now we have nothing to burn.
And Brigid is happy, you named a child for her
And now she's got six of her own.
You say you found work, but you don't say
What kind or when you will be coming home.

Kilkelly, Ireland, 18 and 80, dear Michael and John, my sons
I'm sorry to give you the very sad news
That your dear old mother has gone.
We buried her down at the church in Kilkelly,
Your brothers and Brigid were there.
You don't have to worry, she died very quickly,
Remember her in your prayers.
And it's so good to hear that Michael's returning,
With money he's sure to buy land
For the crop has been poor and the people
Are selling at any price that they can.

Kilkelly, Ireland, 18 and 90, my dear and loving son John
I guess that I must be close on to eighty,
It's thirty years since you're gone.
Because of all of the money you send me,
I'm still living out on my own.
Michael has built himself a fine house
And Brigid's daughters have grown.
Thank you for sending your family picture,
They're lovely young women and men.
You say that you might even come for a visit,
What joy to see you again.

Kilkelly, Ireland, 18 and 92, my dear brother John
I'm sorry that I didn't write sooner to tell you that father passed on.
He was living with Brigid, she says he was cheerful
And healthy right down to the end.
Ah, you should have seen him play with
The grandchildren of Pat McNamara, your friend.
And we buried him alongside of mother,
Down at the Kilkelly churchyard.
He was a strong and a feisty old man,
Considering his life was so hard.
And it's funny the way he kept talking about you,
He called for you in the end.
Oh, why don't you think about coming to visit,
We'd all love to see you again.

Goddammit.  That's all we are.  That's all we want.  Each other.  Time.  Visits.  He called for you in the end.

Motherfucking shit.

Edited by Brisketexan

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Goddammit.  Prompted by my thoughts and post last night, I just played Kilkelly, Ireland, start to finish.  And I'm missing the hell out of my daughter.  She's been going through a lot this past week, feeling isolated, and we've felt so helpless, because no matter what happens, we literally cannot go see her, could not go help her in any way (across a border, pandemic restrictions are strict).

Goddammit.  That's all we are.  That's all we want.  Each other.  Time.  Visits.  He called for you in the end.

Motherfucking shit.

Our daughters sound similar from what I have seen through your posts. (My daughter is in grad school at PennSt— independent , determined but a stress monster...she has been an exchange student and has already seen twice as much of the world as I have)My sister in law passed away this weekend , luckily my daughter was able to get home .  I Sucks y’all can’t be together. I sincerely hope everything works out for her, sure it will..sounds like you raised her right     

Thanks to everyone that posted these great songs    Great thread for me right now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Motherfucking shit.

Shit, Brisket, I'm in the same boat. My daughter is having ACL surgery in Kyle next week and there isn't a damn thing I can do to help. Your post hit close to home.

Quick story. Her Freshman year of HS she performed this song at a talent show, dressed just like Dorothy, and knocked it out of the park. I always knew she had a good voice but that was the first time I knew she had a great voice. She went on to do opera in Austin and now is part of a music school there. Whenever I get to missing her I play the freshman recording of her  and get verklempt.  I won't share her's but it sounds remarkably like Judy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So many perfect songs, so little time.  Many of the rock ones that would make my list are already here.  Here are a couple of country ones that have always struck me as close to as perfect as anyone may come expressing the ideas that they do.  And these particular performances of these songs have struck me as the perfect interpretations.

Don't be daunted by 9 minutes - you want to hear all of it.  But for the tl;dr crowd, the song starts at 3:55. 

I've posted this one multiple times on multiple threads over the years.  It sticks with me like a ghost. 

• Like 1

OK, in the country realm, check out this one by Roger Miller . . . yep, the "King of the Road".  I used to visit my sis in NYC and we'd usually go catch a play or musical.  One time we went to see the hot new hit "Big River", which was basically Mark Twain set to music, and Roger Miller wrote the score.  At that point, I don't think anyone realized how brilliant a songwriter he was.  We were all disabused of that notion toot sweet.  It is a phenomenal collection of songs, a master class in the American style.  I'll post a simple live version of Roger doing the tune first, but listen to both, you'll hear the grandiosity of great Broadway singers next (2:10 second clip), although it starts with the musical's "anthem", which is equally worth listening to (and which Roger Miller also wrote).  He was a fucking genius, we just didn't know it.  Plus, a Texan.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was going to post this earlier, changed my mind, then the Roger Miller post made me reconsider.  A great song, it a great song...no matter what genre.  And there is no better writer than Paul Williams.  Plus, he is just a great human.  In his book, Darden Smith talks about writing songs with Paul Williams.    I love his love of the importance of the second verse.  

Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
     When wished on the morning star?
     Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
     Look what it's done so far

And the only version that can top Willie's, or the Deborah Harry duet?  The original.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Last Thing I Needed. Holy shit...what a great song.   

On Aug 3, 2019, I went to see something that I still can't believe.  Gary P. Nunn had NEVER been on the Grand Ole Opry.  I couldn't believe it when I heard it.  I was going to be in Nashville for a few days and checked the Opry calendar and Gary P. Nunn was listed.  Order tickets, get there and he isn't listed on the program.  I was pissed.  6 or 7 of the typical Opry performers, crammed into my seat amongst the fat-ass clientele.  Then they start introducing the next guest. "This man has written songs for Willie....."   Out walks Gary P. Nunn.  About 1,000 people leap to their feet.  Only one that night this happened for.  He opened with that song and did London Homesick Blues.  Not ashamed to admit, I shed a few Texas-Pride tears.

In the gift shop, I was standing next to, what Bruce Robison describes as a "Holy-Hell-Houston-girl".  Or she was in her younger years, but you know the type: Houston Livestock Show Board Member.  She said that she came to Nashville with a group of 600 to see Gary P.  

garypnunn-opry.jpg

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/1/2021 at 8:09 PM, Earl Haffler said:

No one told. you when to run.  You missed the starting gun.

And you run and you run, to catch up with the sun, but it’s sinking.

racing around, to come up behind you again.  

the sun is the same in a relative way, but you’re older.  Shorter in breath, and one day closer to death.  

That song is one that always gets me.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My God, I can't believe I didn't think of this one, and this collaboration of it.  Ray is getting close to being done, and he's singing directly to Willie and Leon.  Willie damn near breaks down.  It's just an absolutely beautiful song to begin with, but hearing Ray pour out his soul is something beyond special.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Damn.  Allergies.

I love how they let Ray have most of the tune . . . and he claps in the middle of a line . . . and then throws in that little jazzy inversion towards the end.

Willie & Ray are absolutely in the argument for the Mount Rushmore of Great American Songwriters, and Leon's on the ballot.  What a clip.  Thanks for that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

That's how I feel about a lot of Snider's work.  It's clever, but it's also hitting on some really deep truths, while frequently featuring a compelling melody.  IMO, he's neck and neck with Mike Cooley of Drive-By Truckers as the best songwriter to come along since the early 90's.  Evan Felker is nipping at their heels, but if he never comes back to music I just don't think he'll end up with the full body of work to challenge them.

On more than one occasion I've referred to Todd Snider as my favorite modern philosopher.  I stand by it.

Some of my favorite Todd Quotes... "If I judge the judgmental, then who am I".  Maybe this should go in the getting old suxes thread, but "One day you will wake up with more memories than dreams"..  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

Some of my favorite Todd Quotes... "If I judge the judgmental, then who am I".  Maybe this should go in the getting old suxes thread, but "One day you will wake up with more memories than dreams"..  

From the same song, I've always loved "if worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with 'em".

• Hook 'Em 1

Streetlights, Outfit and Goddamn Lonely Love are 3 of my 5 favorite Isbell songs.  The other 2 change.  Great songs

Others change, but Streetlights and GDLL are my top 2. And the last verse of Streetlights might be my favorite overall lyric. Just devastating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

More on Snider:  For me, this song has WAY too many brilliant lines....several mentioned above.  And something about this performance...his sort of down mood this morning.

- Everything in moderation including moderation I suppose

- I'd like to trust you buddy but you are clearly keeping secrets from me.  

- It said closed, I think it might have been some kind of sign.

- Wish I could show you how you hurt me in a way that wouldn't hurt you too.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2021 at 4:35 PM, hullabelew said:

Well, thanks @jimmyjazz  Can't believe I'm just seeing this.   I need to find the editor's tapes of the camera's watching the background singers.   Hoping cousin @Steel Shank sees this.  

On Isbell, and I've posted this, Streetlights is such a well written song....I don't know of many that can touch it lyrically.   That last verse is a straight shot to the soul.  He rarely does that song anymore, but this version, when he was about 8 months sober, if fantastic.  There is also one from just before he cleaned up.  Quite a comparison.

LBDs and high heels bring me to my knees.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know there aren't a lot of phish fans here, but I always have really dug this short tune from start to finish.  The chord progression is solid, the drumming really compliments it.  The bass comes in and you feel it in your chest.  Nice call and answer vocals.  But the guitar solo is just note for note outstanding, and when the drums start to "play out," the percussiveness of the lead guitar picking pops to match the beat.  Then, it just dissolves into the drum beat.  I never get tired of it.  It's one of those songs I heard live before the album came out.  And on many occasions with this band, I've been disappointed by some album cuts compared to the live versions of the songs.  In this case, the live versions were terrific, but the album cut was perfect for me.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m partial to Homeward Bound by Simon & Garfunkel.  Garfunkel’s vocals are Devine, the yearning and pain and journey aspects get me every time

also Elton John Rocketman. Anthem quality yet the story is sci-fi and nonsensical really - and also not. His cord progressions are fantastic as is the drum fill into the chorus. I sing this with reckless abandon in the car all the time.

Dusty Springfield, bass line is one of the best of all time. Taking time to make time, oh yeah! 

Guy Clark - two offerings - I consider them two sides of the same coin. LA Freeway and Boats to Build. Both goodbye songs of sorts one optimistic the other with some serious resentment. If I can just get off of this la free way without getting killed or caught. Skinny Dennis, such an amazing metaphor.  Boats to build man doesn’t get any better. I’ve got seas to sail man. Damn right we do!

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Continued ...

Tin cup chalice is the perfect boat/sunset on the water song. I can listen to this for hours. Steel guitar and the lyrics.

Edge of seventeen holy shit I love this one. Crushed hard on Stevie back in the day.

INXS not enough time. Greatest rock love song of all time. Imo. Racy and saucy ... I want to be inside you. Yes please.  Another great bass and percussion background.

James McMurtry you got to me. Man this one is so good. 

I could go on and on. Black by Pearl Jam, Soul to Squeeze by Red Hot Chili Peppers, Billie Jean by Michael Jackson, A Kiss to Build a Dream on by Louis Armstrong, Georgia on my Mind by Ray Charles, superstition by Stevie Wonder, Purple Rain by Prince...

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2021 at 2:19 PM, Litig8r said:

and you better hope those memories are worth remembering. That transition from dreaming to remembering scares the shit out of me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Otis - Try A Little Tenderness

Immortal sax and trumpet intro, poignant words about how young girls get wearied wearing that same old shaggy dress, tempo and rhythm changing and building with each verse, that magnificent weeping organ chord at "makes it easier, easier to bea-earr," and that fine ascent to the kickass closing "GOT-ta GOT-ta GOT-ta GOT-ta."

That's my favorite "perfect" song.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey @troph.  I saw McMurty about a month before that album came out.  He did 4 songs from it without really talking about it.  People just all new they were new songs.  I happened to be there with my college girlfriend.   This line shot me through the fucking heart and then hers.  Very, very bizarre moments of Snider's lyric "a lot more memories than dreams."   I could think of about 50 great lines by McMurty, but this one.   Damn.  I'm pulling that record out right now.  And my wife had better not 'be yelling at me when I'm cleaning my gun.'  

Christmas break, your roommates gone
We stoked the fire and let it burn
Til the embers glowed in the morning light
Trust in the tangle of skin on skin
I've not known quite that feeling since you got to me

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Hey @troph.  I saw McMurty about a month before that album came out.  He did 4 songs from it without really talking about it.  People just all new they were new songs.  I happened to be there with my college girlfriend.   This line shot me through the fucking heart and then hers.  Very, very bizarre moments of Snider's lyric "a lot more memories than dreams."   I could think of about 50 great lines by McMurty, but this one.   Damn.  I'm pulling that record out right now.  And my wife had better not 'be yelling at me when I'm cleaning my gun.'  

Christmas break, your roommates gone
We stoked the fire and let it burn
Til the embers glowed in the morning light
Trust in the tangle of skin on skin
I've not known quite that feeling since you got to me

So good.  No more Buffalo and Levelland belong on the list of perfect songs for me as well. He’s oddly underrated IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In light of his announcement on Monday that he is officially retiring, I'll leave this one here...

My Thirsty wanted whiskey

My hungry needed beans

But it had been a month of paydays 

Since I heard that eagle scream

So with a stomach full of empty

and a pocket full of dreams

I left my pride, and stepped inside a bar...

• Like 1

Rocket Man is a fantastic song. It sounds so simple but the rhythm in the chorus is tricky as hell to get right. Everyone I’ve ever talked to who’s played it (and definitely my hack ass) has said it causes them trouble including my voice coach who has a degree from fucking Berklee.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Rocket Man is a fantastic song. It sounds so simple but the rhythm in the chorus is tricky as hell to get right. Everyone I’ve ever talked to who’s played it (and definitely my hack ass) has said it causes them trouble including my voice coach who has a degree from fucking Berklee.

Here’s a great video breaking it down. He discusses chords, inversions, progressions, styles like bossonova, blues, dissects each track and part.  Harmonies isolated will give you chills. You get to hear Elton’s voice isolated. Slide guitar and the acoustic are just amazing contributions.  The drums are so understated but when he isolates that track you just want to grove. There isn’t a track that isn’t perfect on this song.  And once you hear them all isolated you can appreciate how it all fits together, just fucking perfection, listening again the back up vocals, his voice the drums the slide omfg, perfect. It’s why I probably have this as my #1 perfect song of all time. 

If you’re patient the whole 20 mins is totally worth it.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Now acknowledge the fact that Elton typically wrote songs in the studio within 20-30 minutes after receiving the lyrics from Bernie Taupin, taught the band in maybe another 20 minutes, and tracked the whole thing in maybe another 20 minutes, usually less than 3 takes.

Absolute genius.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Now acknowledge the fact that Elton typically wrote songs in the studio within 20-30 minutes after receiving the lyrics from Bernie Taupin, taught the band in maybe another 20 minutes, and tracked the whole thing in maybe another 20 minutes, usually less than 3 takes.

Absolute genius.

You’d love that clip - I want to hear your thoughts about it.  Btw it’s a fucking jam played loud on those quads you hooked me up with. 

Edited by troph

I've seen a bunch of Rick's videos, this is better than most.  He does a very good job of breaking down the theory.

Honestly, that song would be a helluva lot easier for us mortals to play if Elton had just written it in C.  But, he had to pitch it for his vocal sweet spot.

I don't understand the complaints about the timing/rhythm in the chorus, to me it's very natural.  That said, I started playing the song on piano when I was about 11-12 years old, straight out of Elton's "Greatest Hits" piano songbook.  It's completely hard wired into my subconscious at this point.

Been my favorite song for close to 15 years. Reminds me of successes, failures, new adventure and past loves. 

The anticipation building for the first 1:20  

Was my soundtrack to living in NYC for 2 years in my early 20’s with the world at my fingertips. Was my anthem when I travelled around by myself and had to make friends at every new spot. 

“I wouldn’t trade one stupid decision for another five years of life”

Makes a damn good covid anthem when you’ve been living in isolation for 11 months.

“where are your friends tonight? if I could see all my friends tonight”

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've seen a bunch of Rick's videos, this is better than most.  He does a very good job of breaking down the theory.

Honestly, that song would be a helluva lot easier for us mortals to play if Elton had just written it in C.  But, he had to pitch it for his vocal sweet spot.

I don't understand the complaints about the timing/rhythm in the chorus, to me it's very natural.  That said, I started playing the song on piano when I was about 11-12 years old, straight out of Elton's "Greatest Hits" piano songbook.  It's completely hard wired into my subconscious at this point.

It is one of his better videos. His what makes this great for Pearl Jam Black is pretty damn good too.

5 hours ago, troph said:

Here’s a great video breaking it down. He discusses chords, inversions, progressions, styles like bossonova, blues, dissects each track and part.  Harmonies isolated will give you chills. You get to hear Elton’s voice isolated. Slide guitar and the acoustic are just amazing contributions.  The drums are so understated but when he isolates that track you just want to grove. There isn’t a track that isn’t perfect on this song.  And once you hear them all isolated you can appreciate how it all fits together, just fucking perfection, listening again the back up vocals, his voice the drums the slide omfg, perfect. It’s why I probably have this as my #1 perfect song of all time. 

If you’re patient the whole 20 mins is totally worth it.

Speaking of Elton, “Your Song” is pretty incredible as well.   The song my wife and I danced to at our wedding.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Speaking of Elton, “Your Song” is pretty incredible as well.   The song my wife and I danced to at our wedding.   

Listened to it today. It’s an amazing song. Top 5 of his songs for me for sure. Great for a wedding, you did well there. 

• Like 1