That perfect song and why it is so

Goredho

So many amazing songs here. But goddamn I love this one.

As I get older, my relationship with Texas is....complicated. But sweet lord, it’s in my blood, its dirt has clogged my nose 10,000 times, it breaks my heart, it brought me love, it is my career, my family, my third parent, and sometimes I hate it, but god....it’s home. And home is stories. This is one of those stories.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Shit. I’m realizing that a common thread on what I think is a great, great song...is that all of em can bring me to tears. Sure, if they’re sad. But also if they’re pretty, and perfect, and remind me of happy times, of folly and wild abandon, of mistakes, of triumphs, of life. Music, when I let it, can just blow me away, bring me to my knees, or make me sit back, tilt the whiskey glass, and let it flow along with the tears and the smiles. Been listening to a lot of the songs on here.

It’s been a long, rough week. And yeah, I’ve had a coupla beverages. But I needed this. I needed to take some trips to some places I needed to go. Thanks for sharing your picks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

So many amazing songs here. But goddamn I love this one.

As I get older, my relationship with Texas is....complicated. But sweet lord, it’s in my blood, its dirt has clogged my nose 10,000 times, it breaks my heart, it brought me love, it is my career, my family, my third parent, and sometimes I hate it, but god....it’s home. And home is stories. This is one of those stories.

One of those songs that is so comforting for me and always makes me feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Damn, I've spent a whole morning going through these songs. Here are a few that, to me, are perfect:

George Strait, Amarillo by Morning. Wife and I are coming up on 38 years. This is our song.

Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode

It's not just a great song, the lyrics are great poetry

Deep down in Louisiana, close to New Orleans,

Way back up in the woods among the evergreens, 

There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood,

Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode

Who never, ever learned to read or write so well, 

But he could play a guitar just like he's ringing a bell.

Rainy Days and Mondays. Karen Carpenter obviously suffered from depression and eventually died from anorexia. She is the only person that could sing this song, and make it bring tears to your eyes. 

Wagon Wheel, Old Crow Medicine Show. 

I'm a sucker for fiddles and banjos. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

“The Living Years” Mike + the Mechanics.

It’s personal and the lyrics are a gut punch to me bc it was my dad’s favorite song (he told me a couple of times.) He would think back on his own relationship with his father who died before I was born. They had had a real big fight and his father had a stroke and passed away before my dad could apologize. So he wrote a letter to his father and put it in my grandfather’s coffin. 

And then it became more than a song to me because my dad died in his sleep suddenly (hadn’t been sick) from a heart attack. I was living in Houston and he in Amarillo. I had only briefly talked to him for less than a minute the night before on the phone because I was pissed off at him. I legit cannot listen to that song without crying.

I wasn't there that morning
When my Father passed away
I didn't get to tell him
All the things I had to say

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My favorite lyrics from Uncle Neil about a doomed 22 year old who never really had a chance. The words are matched by the passionate guitar solo and tone from Young’s Old Black.  

Shelter me from the powder and the finger
Cover me with the thought that pulled the trigger
Think of me as one you'd never figured
Would fade away so young
With so much left undone
Remember me to my love
I know I'll miss her

• Hook 'Em 1

There's something so smooth and so sentimental for me about Year of the Cat.  1976 was such a great year for me and this song is the sound track for that. 

She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running like a watercolor in the rain ...

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 3:27 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

There's something so smooth and so sentimental for me about Year of the Cat.  1976 was such a great year for me and this song is the sound track for that. 

She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running like a watercolor in the rain ...

This one has been replaying in my head lately. Keyboards, sax, slick guitar leads, a wonderfully arranged musical Casablanca....timeless.

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Rip76 said:

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately.

This is pretty close to perfect if not just for the chorus alone.  It’s just real tough to get much better than this from a songwriting standpoint.  
Then add in great lyrics as well.

He's supposed to be on the Stern show at some point after Howard comes back from the holiday break. He had him on in 2014 and it was an awesome interview, can't wait to hear him again.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

Necro bumping this thread because the Kink's Strangers was on the most recent Ted Lasso and right when it started I said to my wife "FUCK, this song is fucking perfect." And then I googled it today and saw it was covered by this band Wye Oak that I really like as part of a series the Onion's AV Club did a while back called undercover, where they pick 25 songs and touring bands come into their studio and cover one of the 25 songs until they're all done. That's an excellent series you might want to check out.

But Wye Oak also has a perfect song that I've listened to about 10 times today already. Civilian. Their guitar player Jenn Wasner is pretty fucking badass. And I think she's pretty hot. 

Anyway, here are two perfect songs in my opinion:

Here's the Wye Oak cover of Strangers. Linking primarily so interested people can go down the AV Club Undercover rabbit hole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, irishtexan said:

Necro bumping this thread because the Kink's Strangers was on the most recent Ted Lasso and right when it started I said to my wife "FUCK, this song is fucking perfect." And then I googled it today and saw it was covered by this band Wye Oak that I really like as part of a series the Onion's AV Club did a while back called undercover, where they pick 25 songs and touring bands come into their studio and cover one of the 25 songs until they're all done. That's an excellent series you might want to check out.

But Wye Oak also has a perfect song that I've listened to about 10 times today already. Civilian. Their guitar player Jenn Wasner is pretty fucking badass. And I think she's pretty hot. 

Anyway, here are two perfect songs in my opinion:

Here's the Wye Oak cover of Strangers. Linking primarily so interested people can go down the AV Club Undercover rabbit hole. 

I’ve spent days in that rabbit hole.  Watched that cover many times.

Sharon Van Etten and Shearwater doing “Stop Dragging My Heart Around” crushes.

Worked at a restaurant that had live music playing country music tue-sat back in the early 80s. I was into punk/new wave with a solid grounding in classic rock and Motown  Nothing better than closing time on slow nights when the musicians played for themselves.

I hadn’t heard many of the songs before and these two were gut punches that I had to later track down.