That perfect song and why it is so

Goredho

I’ve never really liked country music but something about Kenny Chesney’s “I go back” just puts me in a really good mood. It’s one of my favorite songs, and I might like 4 or 5 country songs. Even that’s stretching it a little bit. No other country song gets out in a playlist for me, but It’s just the perfect song for sitting around a body of water and drinking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Honestly, that song would be a helluva lot easier for us mortals to play if Elton had just written it in C.  But, he had to pitch it for his vocal sweet spot.
I don't understand the complaints about the timing/rhythm in the chorus, to me it's very natural.  That said, I started playing the song on piano when I was about 11-12 years old, straight out of Elton's "Greatest Hits" piano songbook.  It's completely hard wired into my subconscious at this point.

Do you sing it and play it? It’s the vocal rhythm that’s tricky for me to match with the rhythm of what I’m playing.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Been my favorite song for close to 15 years. Reminds me of successes, failures, new adventure and past loves. 

The anticipation building for the first 1:20  

Was my soundtrack to living in NYC for 2 years in my early 20’s with the world at my fingertips. Was my anthem when I travelled around by myself and had to make friends at every new spot. 

“I wouldn’t trade one stupid decision for another five years of life”

Makes a damn good covid anthem when you’ve been living in isolation for 11 months.

“where are your friends tonight? if I could see all my friends tonight”

I'm not a big LCD Soundsystem fan, but I became briefly obsessed with that song about 5-6 years ago.  This version particularly

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've heard it hundreds of times and it never gets old. It always puts me in a better mood no matter what might be going on.

Wrote it about his wife whom he's still married to:

"The song is about hyperventilating – kissing and fainting to the floor. Mary dances with me in the video because she was the girl, so it had to be her. The idea is that one night like that is worth 1,000 hours of drudgery."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure that Two Doors Down might be the best Country Song ever written. It hits every country note perfectly: barmaids, strong drinks, shame, jukeboxes, being stumbling drunk over a woman, payphones, memories that won't end etc...

Two doors down there's a jukebox
That plays all night long
Real sad songs
All about me and you
Two doors down there's a barmaid
That serves 'em real strong
Here lately
That's how I make it through
Two doors down there's a heartache
That once was my friend
Two doors down there's a memory
That won't ever end

Two doors down there's a barstool
That knows me by name
And we sit there together
And wait for you
Two doors down there's a bottle
Where I take out my shame
And hold it up
For the whole world to view
Two doors down there's a pay phone
But no calls come in
That won't ever end

From the hotel to the barroom
Is just a stumble and a fall
And sometimes when it gets bad
I've been known to crawl
Freedom from sorrow
Is just two doors away
I'll escape for a short time
But I know I can't stay

Two doors down is where they'll find me
When you're finally through
Taking what's left of my life
Two doors down is where they'll leave me
When payment comes due
For the hours I've spent there each night
Two doors down I'll be forgotten
But until then
That won't ever end...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On 2/6/2021 at 5:50 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ve never really liked country music but something about Kenny Chesney’s “I go back” just puts me in a really good mood. It’s one of my favorite songs, and I might like 4 or 5 country songs. Even that’s stretching it a little bit. No other country song gets out in a playlist for me, but It’s just the perfect song for sitting around a body of water and drinking. 

One of my favorite songs on the water too. Beer in Mexico too, not sure either make a perfect list but great song alongs for sure.

Edited by troph

• 3 weeks later...

i am just going to set aside bach and beethoven on this because the two of them take this thing easily.  that said, barber's adagio for strings is absolutely perfect.  taking the allegretto of beethoven's 7th symphony and evoking 10x the emotion.  it is impossible to listen to this and not be transported to a reflective perspective.

lots of vivaldi's work could have an argument made in the same fashion as bach.  his choral works are largely overlooked but this one, as well as stabat mater stand tallest.  it is another piece that demands a feeling...

see above, lighter than barber's adagio but evokes the same thing.

so much PG...but this one perfectly captures the sound of the 80's/my youth and the transition from traditional rock into something more electronic and greater sonic experimentation.

talk about evoking a feeling.  for some, it is sadness, some is dance, but for me...pure sex.  a dreamy, completely consumed type.  will likely always be my favorite "electronic" song.  roads by portishead is about the same.

this one, and its vivid lyrics, has always spoken to me about my own life journey...transitioning from a careless, dumbshit, poor as fuck kid from rural east texas to life now...and what really has happened. 

i don't have any words for this shit.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted some of the lyrics in an unrelated thread and was reminded again of this one.

A song about shoplifting, for the thrill of it, is so frivolous and hilarious. One of the all-time catchiest tunes.

"We sat around the pile. We sat and laughed. We sat and laughed and waved it into the air." It's just fucking great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 9:24 AM, smuggs said:

I posted some of the lyrics in an unrelated thread and was reminded again of this one.

A song about shoplifting, for the thrill of it, is so frivolous and hilarious. One of the all-time catchiest tunes.

"We sat around the pile. We sat and laughed. We sat and laughed and waved it into the air." It's just fucking great.

What's even more hilarious about this song is it now in the shopping tunes playlist at the HEB I go to here in SA.  The other day I was there and I heard this and thought, "WTF?  Really?" and right after heard "Downtown" (I shit you not) and got the fuck outta there fast.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Damn y'all have some good taste in music.  There are so many on this thread that I either haven't heard or didn't strike me before.

@sidis I've don't recall hearing that Max Richter song before.  Great stuff.

And dammit @noharleyyet  That song gets me every, single time.  I was EXACTLY like the Kevin Costner character in Fandango.  Very careless with my life and my friends.  When they all take off at the end, that mirrors my own experience at UT because I alienated some of my best friends with stupidity and immaturity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Damn y'all have some good taste in music.  There are so many on this thread that I either haven't heard or didn't strike me before.

@sidis I've don't recall hearing that Max Richter song before.  Great stuff.

knox, it was actually written for a quintet (with some electronic add-ons at the low end) and is quite a bit more intimate in its original form than the above.  it was written as a protest song to the invasion of iraq years before it was released but has been used in countless soundtracks - probably most famously at the end of the movie "arrival" when dennis villeneuve decided to go full malick at the end.

i can't believe i left this off my original list but i will attribute it to covid vax brain.  as a huge fan of ambient and electronic, this will always be the gold standard of that genre.  there has been a lot of great music in that arena but nothing has surpassed this yet.  

this opened the door to so much including a song that would be in the next stratum down from perfect songs.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, sidis said:

knox, it was actually written for a quintet (with some electronic add-ons at the low end) and is quite a bit more intimate in its original form than the above.  it was written as a protest song to the invasion of iraq years before it was released but has been used in countless soundtracks - probably most famously at the end of the movie "arrival" when dennis villeneuve decided to go full malick at the end.

i can't believe i left this off my original list but i will attribute it to covid vax brain.  as a huge fan of ambient and electronic, this will always be the gold standard of that genre.  there has been a lot of great music in that arena but nothing has surpassed this yet.  

this opened the door to so much including a song that would be in the next stratum down from perfect songs.

+100 on Brian Eno "Ascent".  Going to be hard for an ambient instrumental to ever surpass it.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know a lot of people don’t like country, and a lot of people don’t like Dwight Yoakam (not sure how to be honest), but this may be one of the most perfect country songs ever written.   I’ve been that low before, and for no good reason either.   But damn, this song is just a fucking gem.

• Like 3

“Supper’s Ready” by Genesis from 1972.  Twenty-three minutes of realized musical ambition.  The audacity of the Willow Farm movement.  The power and drama in Apocalypse in 9/8 and the ending section.  Tony Banks amazing keyboard playing, Peter Gabriel’s vocal performance and theatrics.    I have been listening to this song since 1985 and it not only is still listenable, I keep discovering little nuggets of musical treasure in it today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexPx said:

Tons of people have covered this song but for me no one quite captured the mood of the original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a fucking great song.  Dwight did a damn good cover of it. Original is the best though.

• Like 1

I've posted it elsewhere, but to me, this is the greatest rock n roll song.  As the comments aptly say, it just makes me want to go out and launder some money.  Raw sex and groove. 

And if you want to get up and get going...here's pure groove with an inspirational underpinning.  You can just dance, or get motivated.  It's up to you.

• Hook 'Em 4

Love that song.  Jayhawks just always have "that sound", no matter the lineup.
Although it could be artistic license in the video, it looks like the drummer was doing the harmony vocals.

Gary Louris is the constant. Great voice, great songwriting and under appreciated guitarist.

• Hook 'Em 1

Another one that I have trouble finding an issue with. Both the original and the more popular remixed versions. Short, sweet and simple:

Great song and pretty good album too.
Remember this version? Funny because the buzz was the song was about heroin although I think the La’s denied it.

• Hook 'Em 1