2021 Poker: Raising Covid with the nuts!

AUS-97HORN

22 hours ago, Lurch said:

UTG opens 1k. I call CO w As5s. 3k pot

4s8s9c. He bets 1100, I make it 3600.

8s. He checks, I 5k. He calls. 13,600

Kc. He bets out 7k w 10k behind. I just call and he shows AA.

Another nice one.

It's cool you hit the flush but I'd be asking for a deck change when the second 8s hit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got done with work yesterday afternoon at 4 and headed down to shuffle 512 to play in their Monday BigO game. I'd made $800 and $1180 the last two times I played. Last nights game was the softest it had ever been. All old semi or fully retired dudes that may as well have played with their hands face up. I don't think I made it past the flop without winning part of the pot. Unfortunately the game broke at 6 but I was up $457 at that point so it was ok.

So being the degen I am I drove from south Austin to Round Rock and went to the Lodge where they run a $50 BigO tournament every Monday. Just like shuffle most of the players are horrible and may as well have been playing face up. Only saw two other guys in the tournament that play BigO cash games, the rest were people just looking for a tournament. End up getting to the final 3 and chopping. Tournament had 96 runners and I ended up winning $1215. I did rebuy once and added on so I was right at $200 after that and the table and daily fees so $1000 profit and up $1473 for the day. 

Had so many bills I broke my money clip when taking out money this morning to throw into my stash. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

Had so many bills I broke my money clip when taking out money this morning to throw into my stash. 

I've heard lawyer bills are kinda expensive... glad hes got you on the EZ payment plan after helping you take a tree-fitty loss in court.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Yeah, the biggest difference is it’s pretty much a nut/nut game. 

if the board has a pair, someone has a boat

Flush possible and someone is betting? They have the nut flush

strait possible? Someone has it  

my advice is to play 1 cent 2 cent online to get a feel of the types of hands that win before heading to play live

Went to Palms tonight while waiting for someone to fly in. Their flight ended up getting canceled so I played till midnight. You APP regulars may remember Mr. Lee. He showed up and dumped a few thousand.  He was calling all ins with a set and no low on boards with possible straits and flushes.

I started off pretty slow but finally got some cards and got going. Three different times I had nut nut and someone was betting into me. They had a kids game and an adult game going. Around 10:30 the small game broke and I was up over $1100 so I headed over to the big boy table with $500. Played an hour and a half and played 5 hands total. They were playing $100 racehorses when a new dealer came in, I went 1 for 2 on those. Doubled up when my strait stood up, and got quartered on a bomb pot with a shared nut low. Cashed out up $300 after all that and ended up over $1400 for the night.

• Like 1

Yeah, that was bizarre when I got that text. 

I'm guessing hosting some big games and taking a rake. 

Just from the look of the place when I'm there they are not going to be around. They have a hard time just getting 5 people for a hold'em game. When I went there on Tuesday there were 2 big o games and no hold'em.

TCH has become famous in poker rooms here in Fl. Lots of players wanting to visit to play, dealers taking about moving there, tons of discussions about streams, fascination about the legality of it, etc. Really cool to hear from “outsiders” and to be able to talk with them about those earlier days in S Austin.

22 hours ago, blacklab said:

You APP regulars may remember Mr. Lee. He showed up and dumped a few thousand.  He was calling all ins with a set and no low on boards with possible straits and flushes.

I would have bet a large sum of money that he was dead.  He was on deaths door 2 years ago and couldnt play the last few months APP was still around due to sickness. 

13 hours ago, blacklab said:

They have a hard time just getting 5 people for a hold'em game. When I went there on Tuesday there were 2 big o games and no hold'em.

they have clearly focused on the Omaha/ Big O crowd, the Tempus portal app constanly shows only 3-5 people on the Holdem waitlist but never a game playing. and now that they are closed on weekends, there arent going to be a lot of holdem players bothering to go there instead of TCH.

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

Apparently Bart Hansen has been banned from Palms for being a nit.

Thats fucking rich,  hes been on the TCH streams multiple times. 

Last night, 3-handed PLO, a drunk LAG is in the SB. He raises, I call in BB with A-A-Q-7, three diamonds and the A of hearts. I play with him a lot and am expecting three big bets, which he will make with any overpair. I have him covered.

Flop is 6-7-7 two hearts. He bets the pot, I call.

Turn is an 8. He bets 75% of pot, I call.

River is a 7. He bets 75% of pot, I shove 3x. He calls with 9-9-J-3, one heart.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:54 AM, Bookman said:

Last night, 3-handed PLO, a drunk LAG is in the SB. He raises, I call in BB with A-A-Q-7, three diamonds and the A of hearts. I play with him a lot and am expecting three big bets, which he will make with any overpair. I have him covered.

Flop is 6-7-7 two hearts. He bets the pot, I call.

Turn is an 8. He bets 75% of pot, I call.

River is a 7. He bets 75% of pot, I shove 3x. He calls with 9-9-J-3, one heart.

Three big bets with any overpair - just like you expected.  LOL

Had two pretty interesting hands in Vegas last week:

$800 Ultimate Stack at Venetian, 200/300/300 blinds, I have 20k of 40k start stack. Early pos goes 700, button goes 3500. Neither had been crazily out of line. I have QQ in the BB. I decide to flat the 3500 as jamming feels like overkill but 4b small also just screams I HAZ HUGE HAND. Early pos comes along, so 11k in pot, I have 16.5 back. Flop is 753. I check, planning now to jam over BTN c-bet. Checks through though. Turn Q. BOINGA.  I check again, and again it checks through. River T. I lead 10k. Early pos thinks and folds, BTN thinks and jams, I obv snap call and he turns over the ole 64 offsuit. LOLOLOL. So he just randomly decides to 3b trash and of course I have the exact stack to flat call and he gets a 753Q runout with 64 vs QQ and also no river board pair. COOL. I re-enter and basically never have anything until I bust 8 hours later.

$140 at Aria, down to 18 players of 97, paying 13. I have lost 2 all in pots that each would have made me tourney chipleader. One was with about 40 left, I call A9 on ATT8ss, he has QJ and rivers a 9.  Then the next was with about 22 left, guy jams 18 bigs, I rejam JJ, he has 77, 7 window. 

So now I have about 13 bigs and min-open AThh UTG.  Tight guy in MP calls, BB calls. About 37k in pot, I have about 55 back. Flop A93. BB jams for like 70. MP has about 45k back. I jam also. BB now exposes his hand before MP acts and shows A2. NOW, MP exposes his hand without acting, AJ.  MP tanks about 3 minutes and then calls. It really sucks that MP gets to see that he has one of the players beat AND that there is only one A remaining so I cannot have AA and very unlikely to have AK or AQ. So for me to get in this spot, I need MP to flat AJ with 10 bigs instead of 3b all in (I would fold to this player's 3b) AND BB to flat AND the case ace to fall AND BB to jam AND BB to expose his hand. I do not catch up, and am allin the next hand for the BB and ante. I get 22, 3 players limp and I beat 2 of them but lose to SB's 43o as he flops a 4 (same guy who binked his QJ against me earlier in huge pot).

I LOVE PLAY POOOOOOKAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Like 1

I 4 bet big the first one I think every day.  No problem with screaming there as size of raise by button makes me think he's not on AA or KK or even AK for that matter.

I hate when shit happens like that in second hand.  

A big 4b though would be like to 11 or 12k with only 8 or 9 back. If I'm gonna do that, I'd rather just jam and hope he thinks I have AK and calls with a worse pair. 4b to 11 and he calls and flop is A84 is just abject misery.

What about button sizing makes you think he doesn't have those hands? Too big? 

Hilariously, old guy in the Aria jammed 35k over 3 limps at 200/300 and everyone folds and he shows AA. 

Edited by TXSooner518

On 7/6/2021 at 10:46 AM, TXSooner518 said:

Had two pretty interesting hands in Vegas last week:

$800 Ultimate Stack at Venetian, 200/300/300 blinds, I have 20k of 40k start stack. Early pos goes 700, button goes 3500. Neither had been crazily out of line. I have QQ in the BB. I decide to flat the 3500 as jamming feels like overkill but 4b small also just screams I HAZ HUGE HAND. Early pos comes along, so 11k in pot, I have 16.5 back. Flop is 753. I check, planning now to jam over BTN c-bet. Checks through though. Turn Q. BOINGA.  I check again, and again it checks through. River T. I lead 10k. Early pos thinks and folds, BTN thinks and jams, I obv snap call and he turns over the ole 64 offsuit. LOLOLOL. So he just randomly decides to 3b trash and of course I have the exact stack to flat call and he gets a 753Q runout with 64 vs QQ and also no river board pair. COOL. I re-enter and basically never have anything until I bust 8 hours later.

$140 at Aria, down to 18 players of 97, paying 13. I have lost 2 all in pots that each would have made me tourney chipleader. One was with about 40 left, I call A9 on ATT8ss, he has QJ and rivers a 9.  Then the next was with about 22 left, guy jams 18 bigs, I rejam JJ, he has 77, 7 window. 

So now I have about 13 bigs and min-open AThh UTG.  Tight guy in MP calls, BB calls. About 37k in pot, I have about 55 back. Flop A93. BB jams for like 70. MP has about 45k back. I jam also. BB now exposes his hand before MP acts and shows A2. NOW, MP exposes his hand without acting, AJ.  MP tanks about 3 minutes and then calls. It really sucks that MP gets to see that he has one of the players beat AND that there is only one A remaining so I cannot have AA and very unlikely to have AK or AQ. So for me to get in this spot, I need MP to flat AJ with 10 bigs instead of 3b all in (I would fold to this player's 3b) AND BB to flat AND the case ace to fall AND BB to jam AND BB to expose his hand. I do not catch up, and am allin the next hand for the BB and ante. I get 22, 3 players limp and I beat 2 of them but lose to SB's 43o as he flops a 4 (same guy who binked his QJ against me earlier in huge pot).

I LOVE PLAY POOOOOOKAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ugh.  But some tight players will just have it in their mind that "oh shit, I look tooooo tight, I'm gonna bet big with any one gapper and then duck out if I don't hit." 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Ugh.  But some tight players will just have it in their mind that "oh shit, I look tooooo tight, I'm gonna bet big with any one gapper and then duck out if I don't hit." 

Right, or "hmm, I've folded like 13 hands in a row, kinda bored, let's pop it up!" 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Right, or "hmm, I've folded like 13 hands in a row, kinda bored, let's pop it up!" 

Right, or "if there is anything playable within the next five hands I'll raise as I don't want to look too tight or the table thinks I'm tight so I may steal a pot." Doesn't mean you didn't get hosed, but I'm not sure the foil is a true donk.  He just got lucky that he hit the flop and you hit the turn.  Sucks, but as you like to say, it's poker. 

Yeah. Re-raising 64o without a very specific reason is going to be a significant money-losing play. But the guy who did it wasn't just spewing all over the place or marked in my mind as awful (if so, I likely 4-bet, since I would assume he was too bad/spewy to understand/care what the 4b meant). More just a player who was playing at least decently randomly choosing a quite bad play (play would be better with a hand with any blockers, a hand with any playability postflop, or against a more active opener, or against an opener who showed tendency to raise-fold, none of which were present), and getting a lightning bolt of a runout, rather than just getting basic donked haha.

EDIT to add: Also of course it's way different if he just raised the 64o first in. I was BB and had been card dead, so opening wide against a BB who you think is over-folding is reasonable. Also more reasonable if he was 3-betting over a late pos raise instead of early pos. I still would like at least one of the above factors if we are 3b as wide as 64o but would be less punty.

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, TXSooner518 said:

A big 4b though would be like to 11 or 12k with only 8 or 9 back. If I'm gonna do that, I'd rather just jam and hope he thinks I have AK and calls with a worse pair. 4b to 11 and he calls and flop is A84 is just abject misery.

What about button sizing makes you think he doesn't have those hands? Too big? 

Hilariously, old guy in the Aria jammed 35k over 3 limps at 200/300 and everyone folds and he shows AA. 

Yes.  Too big.  5X usually always seems to be 9's-Q's.

I agree with you that the jam makes the most sense in lieu of you size of your stack. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, TXSooner518 said:

I was playing in a 1/2 cash game at Rounders in San Antonio. I think it was a limped multi-way pot, maybe one raise, and the flop was a Jack with two insignificant cards. Maybe a weird straight draw possible, but it was a dry board. Guy leads out, there's a call, and the button shoves for like 10+ times the pot. Everyone folds of course and button shows J-J.

I was playing in a 1/2 cash game at Rounders in San Antonio. I think it was a limped multi-way pot, maybe one raise, and the flop was a Jack with two insignificant cards. Maybe a weird straight draw possible, but it was a dry board. Guy leads out, there's a call, and the button shoves for like 10+ times the pot. Everyone folds of course and button shows J-J.

Haha yeah I was playing 1/2 at the Venetian maybe a decade ago now. Dude limps, button limps, SB completes I have check in BB with 83. Flop 832. First limper jams $200 into the $8 pot. I call and he has 88. It’s like wtf are you dooooooing and why did I become collateral damage ha.
  • Hook 'Em 1

cool vlogger alert for RR Lodge.

He's no where near as popular a poker content creator  as Brad Owen or Andrew Neme, but Ben Deach is going to be playing on the RR Lodge poker stream on Wed/Thurs and maybe Fri.

I started watching him around 2 years ago when you tube recommended the channel to me after I had been watching Andrew, Brad, and Rampage for a while.

• Like 1

I guess the word is out to the poker vloggers that Texas is open for business.

Andrew and Brad are hitting up TCH in Houston on Aug 7-8th  and then the Austin TCH on the 11th and 12th.

i realize there will be 800 people there.... would like to play with them, but I feel like that chance passed when they were here 2.5 years ago.

$2/5

I ($500) open CO to $15 w Ks9s. SB ($800) and BB ($2k) call. $45 pot.

8s7d5s. Checks to me, I make it $20. SB pops it to $60. BB flips out 6 black $100 chips.

SB is 50ish black dude reg. I know hes a competent player. I’ve not seen BB before, but he carries himself like a pro. 30ish white dude.

What do you do?