2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

On 1/14/2021 at 6:35 PM, Scraps said:

Guessing they are trying to avoid as much of nfl playoffs as possible....along with time difference anyway.

Rooting for Kattar. Don't hate Max, but just hoping Kattar can take the next step up here.

Pretty much where I’m at. If Volkanovski v Ortega is next at 145, it’s time for some new blood at the top of this division. Don’t need to see max fight either one of those guys again.

Also, didn’t read the OP. I didn’t realize this was on ABC. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Only watched the last 2 but Condit/Brown was a solid fight. A lot on display in that one.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Man, that kick was loud.

Me and my buddy were talking about how much those kicks must hurt. These guys barely flinch but holy shit can you imagine some Joe taking a kick to the thigh like that? You'd be out of commission for a couple days. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m legitimately shocked by this. I didn’t think anyone could do this to kattar. Not like this. A flash KO, but not just getting pieced up like this. He’s just toying with him. 

Even that 3rd - Kattar came out strong but by the end he was just trying to make it out still standing. 

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Whether it was herb dean or his corner throwing in the towel, this is the exchange that should’ve stopped the fight in the 4th...

that was the definition of leaving it all in there.  i seriously thought he just depleted every last ounce of energy and adrenaline he had left at the of the 4th.  props for just surviving in there to go through the 5th

Good job bro, way to fucking murder your own career. 

UFC cut undefeated lightweight Ottman Azaitar from its active roster Friday, just one day before he was scheduled to face Matt Frevola at UFC 257 on Fight Island in Yas Island, Abu Dhabi.

Azaitar (13-0), an exciting German-Moroccan lightweight with 10 career knockouts, was pulled from UFC 257 after committing a "violation of the health and safety protocols" at the W Hotel in Abu Dhabi. UFC president Dana White told BT Sport that his security team identified an unauthorized individual entering the fighter hotel with a wristband provided by Azaitar to deliver a bag to the fighter's room.

"It's just bad," White said. "He's gone. He's no longer a UFC fighter, and he's not fighting [at UFC 257]."

White said the individual "shimmied" across multiple balconies to enter Azaitar's room. Azaitar and his entire team were directed off the property Friday, sources told ESPN.

UFC is headed into its third live event on Fight Island in a seven-day span. All athletes, staff and media within the bubble at the W Hotel have been tested for COVID-19 multiple times and were subject to a 48-hour quarantine upon arrival at the hotel.

Frevola has been rescheduled to face Arman Tsarukyan in the prelims of UFC 257. Tsarukyan's original opponent was forced off the card because of medical reasons.

I don't see how Poirier outpoints Conor.  I think Dustin needs a stoppage and I don't think he can get it, for the same reason I don't think he can get a decision: he just won't be able to hit Conor enough.  I expect Conor to be patient and win rounds and take a TKO if it's there or take a lopsided decision.

Edit: but I'm rooting for Dustin.

Edited by TexArcher

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I don't see how Poirier outpoints Conor.  I think Dustin needs a stoppage and I don't think he can get it, for the same reason I don't think he can get a decision: he just won't be able to hit Conor enough.  I expect Conor to be patient and win rounds and take a TKO if it's there or take a lopsided decision.

Edit: but I'm rooting for Dustin.

100% where I’m at. I’ll say Conor by 2nd or 3rd rd TKO and Dustin might be my favorite fighter on the entire roster. It’s just a bad matchup for him IMO. 

And yes, Dana. I am gonna stream this fight just like everyone else lol. Fuck outta here with your blank threats. 

This is the article I saw. 

With the help of federal authorities, the UFC is ready to drop the hammer on someone who could have plans to host an illegal stream of UFC 257.

UFC president Dana White made waves on social media earlier this month when he threatened an Instagram user who commented on one of White’s posts that he couldn’t wait to pirate Saturday’s pay-per-view headlined by Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirer. White later doubled down and said he “looked forward to the crying and the begging” from people who got caught.

Now, just two days before UFC 257, White says he has one person in his crosshairs.

“We got one. We got him,” White said during Thursday’s UFC 257 news conference. “We’re watching this guy right now. All you have to do is turn it on Saturday, and we got you, f*cker. I can’t wait. Turn it on Saturday, streamers, and see what happens.”

At the time, it was unclear what those words. Later in the day, White elaborated during an interview with BT Sport.

“When I came out and said this (earlier this month), all these guys started taunting me. So I went through, and I picked. I said, ‘You. You’re the guy.’ And I told my people, ‘I want this guy.’ And guess what? We got him,” White said, adding that the person in question is not American. “We’re watching his house, we’re listening to his phone conversations, and if he puts it up on Saturday, we got him.”

A high-ranking UFC official with knowledge of the situation told MMA Junkie that the promotion has been working with federal authorities to catch the suspected illegal streaming host. The official, familiar with the UFC’s thinking, indicated the promotion is looking to make this person an example.