2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

I hate myself sometimes. Poirier shouldn’t be +240 against anyone, let alone someone who’s fought like 3 times in 4 years. I chose to stay away tonight. Damn I almost went to a bar for this one but most places charged a cover. That would’ve been a badass scene at a bar.
Username checks out
  • Haha 1

Connor was eating too many leg shots while winning the fight...up until the point when he got hurt and was desperately wanting those torn up legs to hold him up. Didn't happen.

I would have been happy with either fighter winning. An in the zone McGregor is good for the sport. Poirier is a great fighter and a good dude.

Dana didn't want this to happen and tried to not make the fight. They said they would fight for a charity instead and called his bluff.

9 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Connor was eating too many leg shots while winning the fight...up until the point when he got hurt and was desperately wanting those torn up legs to hold him up. Didn't happen.

I would have been happy with either fighter winning. An in the zone McGregor is good for the sport. Poirier is a great fighter and a good dude.

Dana didn't want this to happen and tried to not make the fight. They said they would fight for a charity instead and called his bluff.

Nothing against you bc obvs I don't know you, but I can't stand this type of talk from Conor fans.

What era of Conor are we referring to when people say stuff like "when Conor is hungry" or "in the zone"? When he was beating up 145 pounders? Bc since then he's only beaten Eddie Alvarez (not in ufc anymore), and an old as shit Cowboy Cerrone. I guess we count the split decision against Diaz in the 2nd fight. He's not the big shot guy he thinks he is at 155, and it's a shame Dana let him get here without having to fight Oliveira, Gaethje, or even Poirier until last night. He beat Cowboy and then showed up at the top again. It's BS. 

9 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Nothing against you bc obvs I don't know you, but I can't stand this type of talk from Conor fans.

What era of Conor are we referring to when people say stuff like "when Conor is hungry" or "in the zone"? When he was beating up 145 pounders? Bc since then he's only beaten Eddie Alvarez (not in ufc anymore), and an old as shit Cowboy Cerrone. I guess we count the split decision against Diaz in the 2nd fight. He's not the big shot guy he thinks he is at 155, and it's a shame Dana let him get here without having to fight Oliveira, Gaethje, or even Poirier until last night. He beat Cowboy and then showed up at the top again. It's BS. 

yup

he had a lot of power for the 145 division, then got to skip the line at 55(/70) because of money/name.

the fight against cerrone was an utter joke.  wouldve been fantastic in 2015.  this cowboy had his lat victory...6 fights ago.

conor still has good hangs, but the complete game and hunger passed him by.  i would love to see him fight oliveira.  oliveira deserves a better fight in terms of the rankings, but seeing him (also former 45'er) tool conor would be entertaining.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Conor is still one of the better guys at 155. Like, still a guy that can string together wins against the top 10 and fight for a title (and win it potentially). After a certain point we have to start looking at what Dustin Poirier has done and give him the credit he deserves. We say Max Holloway shouldn’t move up to 155 only because DP beat the dog shit out of him. Max is MASSIVE at 145. He could, and probably should be at 155, but that just seemed like a mismatch. He finished Gaethje. Dominated Hooker and Alvarez. He’s the best at 155 right now if he can get through chandler. Don’t let last night change your opinion of Conor. It should change your opinion of Poirier and he should be talked about like he’s the top dog at 155.

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

I think you are reading too much into it with your own Connor issues. If you don't think a Connor McGregor living the best version of his life is a good thing for the UFC and the sport in general, that's just a rudimentary place where we diverge. I was just pointing out that Dana White was forced to make this fight by the fighters offering instead to have a promo sparring session for charity.

Connor looked fast and in shape last night, and it seems like he is embracing being a role model for his children. Poirier had just begun to get some of his timing down and had already done too much damage too his calves.

Edited by JohnnyRage
'thing'

Has anyone asked why the fighters are so adamant about wearing those COVID respirators around their necks when they are obviously not going to be wearing them? Are they rather expensive, are they afraid of getting theirs mixed up with others, is it a promotion? They look legit, and I'm interested in them. But it can't be a promotion, I haven't seen any branding or advertising.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:09 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I think Conor is still one of the better guys at 155. Like, still a guy that can string together wins against the top 10 and fight for a title (and win it potentially). After a certain point we have to start looking at what Dustin Poirier has done and give him the credit he deserves. We say Max Holloway shouldn’t move up to 155 only because DP beat the dog shit out of him. Max is MASSIVE at 145. He could, and probably should be at 155, but that just seemed like a mismatch. He finished Gaethje. Dominated Hooker and Alvarez. He’s the best at 155 right now if he can get through chandler. Don’t let last night change your opinion of Conor. It should change your opinion of Poirier and he should be talked about like he’s the top dog at 155.

Good post.

That fight was more about Dustin being a badass who's peaking than it was about Conor being washed up.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Come on bro, this is 2021, gotta be smarter. 

A prominent women's UFC fighter condemned male colleagues after they talked about her "in an utterly degrading way" during a live podcast.

The American fighter Casey Kenney, 29, made an appearance last week on the Timbo Sugarshow with hosts Tim Welch, a former competitor turned trainer, and UFC prospect Sean O'Malley.

During the podcast, the three talked about Megan Anderson, an Australian featherweight who is weeks away from challenging Amanda Nunes for a women's championship title at UFC 259 in Las Vegas.

Kenney was then asked if he'd "smash" Anderson.

"Probably not, man," Kenney laughed. "If it came down to it, and it was like 5 a.m., 4 … she's a 5 a.m.-er, 4 a.m.-er.

"Just us two hanging out, like … f--- it, let's do it."

It was not long before Anderson became aware of the clip, and commented about the comments on social media.

"I guess MMA is a line of work where you can publicly talk about whether you'd have sex with a coworker in an utterly degrading way and face zero consequences," she wrote January 28.

Kenney is also competing at UFC 259 as he fights Dominick Cruz in a bantamweight bout one match prior to Anderson's title shot. It is likely they'll cross paths at some point during the event.

"[It is] disgusting behavior and it's unfortunate that he'll be fighting on my card in March," said Anderson.

Kenney subsequently apologized, acknowledging that his response was unacceptable.

"I'm sorry this upset you," he said on Twitter. "I will be more careful with my words. I was just answering a question and thought it was all a joking matter. I see I was wrong and I'm sorry.

"Best of luck with training camp and your fight."

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That may all be true, but Casey Kenney is the one that fucked up there. 

I guess I heard this story wrong when I heard about it the other day. I thought it was Sean who asked Casey if he’d smash Megan Anderson, but it was his coach Tim (who’s also a fucking idiot) on Sean’s podcast. It was dumb to answer the question honestly, but IMO it’s equally as dumb to even ask the question on something that’s going to be heard by so many people. Here’s the clip right here:

Also, just to drive home my original point, Sean’s take on trying Heroin...

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Sean O’Malley is a fucking clown. He’s a sore loser, and as you can see, he talks like an idiot. I enjoy watching him fight, but man I wouldn’t mind seeing him get KO’d. 

DUDE! WEED!1

FUCK MY GIRLFRIEND huhhuh!

1612147885331-sp.png

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:40 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I guess I heard this story wrong when I heard about it the other day. I thought it was Sean who asked Casey if he’d smash Megan Anderson, but it was his coach Tim (who’s also a fucking idiot) on Sean’s podcast. It was dumb to answer the question honestly, but IMO it’s equally as dumb to even ask the question on something that’s going to be heard by so many people. Here’s the clip right here:

Also, just to drive home my original point, Sean’s take on trying Heroin...

Yeah his coach is also a major beetard. Their whole team is just a clown show prepping for Sean’s career as a CBD oil promoter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Yeah his coach is also a major beetard. Their whole team is just a clown show prepping for Sean’s career as a CBD oil promoter. 

He stays in Glendale, so if I’m ever on that side the valley he’ll be easy to spot with that rainbow 6ix9ine clown haircut. I never thought I could flip on a fighter so quickly, but I really used to like him. Classic case of liking an athlete until you hear them open their mouth