2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

I have it on in the background. Just saw the last couple of rounds of the Russians. The most interesting thing is seeing one guy 31, born a Soviet. The other, 26 (I think) born a Georgian. The next thing that was interesting is hearing the commentators talk about their wrestling, which is obvious, but fail to mention that once on the ground it turned to BJJ or maybe catch wrestling.

Damn. 

Stephan Bonnar, who helped launch the UFC into the mainstream with his fight against Forrest Griffin in the finals of the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show, died at age 45, the promotion announced Saturday.

Bonnar died of presumed heart complications while at work, according to the UFC.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/35316600/ufc-hall-famer-stephan-bonnar-dies-age-45

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, smuggs said:

53 years old, worth half a billion, boozing at Squid Roe? What a dipshit. 

Thats not out of character for the guy. 

Question is: will anything happen to him?

Before, when he only answered to the Fertittas, that was a sure no. 

Now, reporting to Endeavor corporate, and with the cozy relationship to ESPN? maybe some symbolic slap on the wrist. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Now, reporting to Endeavor corporate, and with the cozy relationship to ESPN? maybe some symbolic slap on the wrist. 

Of course not. It's not like he coaches college basketball or anything. 

20 hours ago, 52-80 said:

He's probably ready to bounce, IMG is probably less fun than the mob.

323451583_5702885819796796_2164174229823400659_n.jpg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Hes had money for a while. I think hes married to the business, and the power of running his little fiefdom. These fight promoters never really bow out. 

23 hours ago, Zeus said:

323451583_5702885819796796_2164174229823400659_n.jpg

OMG, I read most threads in reverse order at first to get caught up. I was taking in that picture for a sec, and then the text, and then the original tweeter. Then scrolled up just a little bit more...Derrick Fucking Lewis. Perfect.

It happened in Mexico, no charges, not really on the major news. He has a long history publicly within in bounds of UFC of not tolerating it. He'll decide his own suspension, that makes him un-cancelable.

It's pretty embarrassing and despicable being a part of a relationship like that, even if it is for the kids, and retaliating violently to something so non-threatening. Stay away from the booze. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

It happened in Mexico, no charges, not really on the major news. He has a long history publicly within in bounds of UFC of not tolerating it. He'll decide his own suspension, that makes him un-cancelable.

It's pretty embarrassing and despicable being a part of a relationship like that, even if it is for the kids, and retaliating violently to something so non-threatening. Stay away from the booze. 

And his latest project was launching the Ultimate Slapfighting Championship or whatever, which is sorta hilarious

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

If you've never seen slap fighting it's proper bonkers. 

How can they judge in real time whats a legal slap? IMO, slaps are contact with the fingers. Digging a full palm into someones face is pretty much a punch with KO force

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

How can they judge in real time whats a legal slap? IMO, slaps are contact with the fingers. Digging a full palm into someones face is pretty much a punch with KO force

It's supposed to be a foul if you palm strike or hit the neck/ear but I'm not sure what a foul even means in this thing. It's insane

There's a weird human tendency it seems that every time a situation like this pops up somebody has to pipe in that it's all speculation at this point. Yeah no shit. Anything that isn't 100% confirmed is technically speculation. And in my post I used the word probable which suggests I know that it's speculation so I don't need that to be pointed out to me.

However, when it's apparent people close to the matter are going out of their way to not say what happened it's almost guaranteed to be either suicide or a substance overdose. If someone dies of cancer or an accident or a heart condition or pretty much anything else it's always revealed. 

But... When the family is not explicitly saying what it is but the sister of the deceased goes on her Instagram and finishes her statement with this:

"And please, check on your loved ones. Keep checking on them. Give them hugs and tell them how much they mean to you. You just never know."

It may not be 100% confirmed but it's 99.99999999999999999999999 percent certainly a suicide. 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Also are we just gonna keep rolling with the 2021 thread lol?

Might as well. Not enough people here post on this to warrant a yearly thread. 

Some decent fights so far. That last KO of the guy from the contender series was rough. Just hammering right hooks to the side of the face. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Regardless of your opinion of Dana, this 30 seconds sums it up well. 

He says that then Ngannou says he cleaned out the division and left as champion so he wants to move on to bigger challenges elsewhere. I just think Ngannou hates dealing with Dana and the UFC. He may also want to leave the US as well but we'll see where he ends up. 

Strickland is too slow to be elite, but it speaks highly of him that the UFC gave him a main event Fight Night on a 2 fight skid. He's known for being crazy and sparring anybody.
He was a fill in. Supposed to be Gastelum i think...Sean just fought so made sense cause he wasn't that far off training/weight etc
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I hate to say it, but JBJ/Gane seems like one of those must-see matchups with a pretty decent chance of being a very boring fight.

Last 2 Jones fight was super competitive and fun watching Reyes and Santos batter him. 

If Gane is too heavy for Jones to simply wrestlefuck, would make for really good striking match. And potentially for Gane to obliterate that psychopathic dirtbag.