2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

27 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Last 2 Jones fight was super competitive and fun watching Reyes and Santos batter him. 

If Gane is too heavy for Jones to simply wrestlefuck, would make for really good striking match. And potentially for Gane to obliterate that psychopathic dirtbag. 

Jones has fought 3 times in 4 years and they were all decisions.  He's not going to be able to throw Gane around, and he's not going to be as explosive with all those extra pounds, so the concern is that he fights conservatively and tries to win on points by ducking most of what Gane throws and landing a few counters here and there.  And Gane is smart enough to be a bit cagey against a dangerous counter puncher.  

And both of these guys have fewer than 50% of their wins by knockout.

I'm not saying it will for sure happen this way, but there's definitely potential for this to be a snoozer.

But, I'll be rooting for Gane by vicious KO, too.  Hope we get it.

Edited by TexArcher

Not related, but I was surprised to learn that Jiu Jitsu competition allows performance enhancing drugs like steroids. Is this more or less true? Should it matter?

UFC on the other hand has become a highly restrictive competition space with USADA testing. There's some insane story about Jiří Procházka being tested 64 times in 2022. Next highest was Paulo Costa at 20. And I assume they are tested post fight still.

Not related, but I was surprised to learn that Jiu Jitsu competition allows performance enhancing drugs like steroids. Is this more or less true? Should it matter?
UFC on the other hand has become a highly restrictive competition space with USADA testing. There's some insane story about Jiří Procházka being tested 64 times in 2022. Next highest was Paulo Costa at 20. And I assume they are tested post fight still.

The answer is basically “kind of”.

The IBJJF does test black belt competitors, but not usually lower belts. However, I don’t think they test regularly. So, it is against the rules, but the testing and enforcement is inconsistent. I do not believe ADCC tests, not very surprising considering where it is located. I haven’t read all the rules they have, but if you ever watch ADCC, it is quite obvious who is using steroids. As for other PEDs, who knows.

But having said that, and tying this back to Marcelo Garcia, he is small. He is obviously not doing steroids and I doubt other PEDs. But he cleaned house at ADCC and IBJFF championships. Even winning absolute divisions against dudes twice his size.

8 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Always liked Walker. After that dumbass celebration he hasn't been the same though. Glad he got the W

He needed proper world class training. He was too loose with questionable technique and relied solely on big time KO power in the fists. Kavanaugh has really done wonders getting him to stay square and set up his power instead of winging it. 

That was some fucked up commentary. Openly raising their voices aimed at the referee to stop the fight. That crosses some major lines. While brutally ugly, Murphy is obviously intelligently defending herself, albeit terribly. She wasn't knocked down once, or out on her feet. It's just her facial appearance.

Leave it up to the ref. Leave it up to the corner. Leave it up to the fighter. That was crossing a line.

Glad Moreno came out on top of that rivalry. He always seems like the type of guy to wish everybody well outside of the cage, while Figgy seems like it kills him to fake respect for another champ. I also wondered if Moreno broke an orbital. That eye shutting like that so quickly reminded me of Canelo vs. Saunders. Eyes usually take a beating to shut and swell like that, the Canelo fight was the only other fight I've seen an eye shut and swell within minutes off of one punch. 

Hill had himself a night. Thought Glover might get put out or at least wobbled a few more times that last round, but Hill was happy with the performance, and so was everybody else. Point made. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this regarding the weird time 

The late start time (10 p.m. ET “Prelims,” 1 a.m. ET main card) is a result of the promotion initially planning to stage this event in South Korea. But, after that went up in smoke, the promotion stayed with the same time schedule to allow Asian fight fans to enjoy the card, which features the “Road to UFC” finale matches. It’s not ideal for stateside fans, who will have to stay up pretty late if they want to catch all the action going into Sunday morning.

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Saw this regarding the weird time 

The late start time (10 p.m. ET “Prelims,” 1 a.m. ET main card) is a result of the promotion initially planning to stage this event in South Korea. But, after that went up in smoke, the promotion stayed with the same time schedule to allow Asian fight fans to enjoy the card, which features the “Road to UFC” finale matches. It’s not ideal for stateside fans, who will have to stay up pretty late if they want to catch all the action going into Sunday morning.

Yeah, I was planning on falling asleep, and now I feel I like I'm in bizarroville. WTF