All things equestrian - horses, Don Ke-hote, mules, etc.

ROFL BOX

Does anyone have a referral for a preferred vendor on rubber horse shoes (boots)?  Looking to try some out as we're occasional riding & I don't want to spend farrier costs on a horse that doesn't get a lot of road miles (but I suspect IS giving me some refusals on gravel due to frog pain / pressure.

10 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Sorry....I meant just for general riding. Im not into rodeo or showing.

My rodeo days (roughstock events) are 40 years ago.  I have done some Play Days, however.  That's a lotta fun.

I had a Palomino (Whiskey... pics on page 1, thread starting post) who unbeknownst to me had some cattle horse in him.  Freaked me out when he started with the whole quick "L --- R" thing to match a maybe 1 year old cow that was on the other side of a fence.

• 2 years later...

Getting a load of 20 rounds delivered next weekend.

5×5, coming up from near Sinton (where IS Bill these days, anyhow?).

$ 100 ea. I will consider that a "win" as compared to $ 85 / bale for my local guy & I won't have to make any R/T's for 2 @ a time (one on the buggy & one in the truck bed).

This should get me to over ⅓ of the year as my ² horses are on average burning 1 rounder every 10 days.

My 6 yr. Old daughter has recently started taking lessons for hunter jumper and the place she’s riding at has offered us a lease on a horse for around 2K per month. Any thoughts or advice on this? This is my wife’s thing as she rode as a kid and the closest I’ve ever been to a horse was betting them at Manor Downs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bandit is gonna cost me some dollars.

(Trying to put the sheath pic in a "Spoiler" but I'm using the Surly app & not certain if it is working)

Bandit

20240403_222145.thumb.jpg.4ec04df9b5795aaf9b2c4254b28e4e4d.jpg

has an engorged sheath & this is obv. a field call for the vet.

Will be either Sunset Canyon on 290 or Audtin Equine on FM 150.

Added hassles, we just had a water heater blowout (could have cost $ 3,600 but through some Shag² connections it was *only* $ 1,700.⁰⁰

20240331_133118.thumb.jpg.586bc7d75f6e5ed2acfc7dcb5deb67a8.jpg

I cut my L index finger a week ago & finally got a doc visit in today; 5 or 6 days from now we should get the culture back to see what specific infection I have... got a lump of an antibiotic shot in my R hip + a week's worth of Rx's to take (Q12 for one & Q6 for the other).  Numb & throbbing goes up past my wrist.

20240403_155659.jpg

The hits keep coming... I'm gonna have tears of joy if Bandit's issues cost less than $ 500.⁰⁰

On 1/7/2024 at 7:56 AM, 3adays said:

My 6 yr. Old daughter has recently started taking lessons for hunter jumper and the place she’s riding at has offered us a lease on a horse for around 2K per month. Any thoughts or advice on this? This is my wife’s thing as she rode as a kid and the closest I’ve ever been to a horse was betting them at Manor Downs. 

Get that checkbook out.  Horses themselves are not expensive - it's the boarding, feed, tack, and training that adds up.  Then vet bills are pricey because they have to do on-site visits, farrier work, etc.  I rode from 8 to 16 down near Slaughter Lane.  Arabians and Quarter horses and my family on the dads side all raised quarter horses (and still do).  Cousin went to college on a rodeo scholarship and still competes.  

If they are requiring you to pay this boarding fee for your own horse AND provide all your own tack/feed, that's expensive.  Are you basically renting one of their horses? 

Where I rode, I got into showing horses and showed theirs, along with their tack, etc.  That was much more affordable.  Helped offset the session costs with stall work, exercising horses, and later helping train the younger riders like your daughter. 

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Bandit is gonna cost me some dollars.

(Trying to put the sheath pic in a "Spoiler" but I'm using the Surly app & not certain if it is working)

Bandit

Hide contents

20240403_222145.thumb.jpg.4ec04df9b5795aaf9b2c4254b28e4e4d.jpg

has an engorged sheath & this is obv. a field call for the vet.

Will be either Sunset Canyon on 290 or Audtin Equine on FM 150.

Added hassles, we just had a water heater blowout (could have cost $ 3,600 but through some Shag² connections it was *only* $ 1,700.⁰⁰

20240331_133118.thumb.jpg.586bc7d75f6e5ed2acfc7dcb5deb67a8.jpg

I cut my L index finger a week ago & finally got a doc visit in today; 5 or 6 days from now we should get the culture back to see what specific infection I have... got a lump of an antibiotic shot in my R hip + a week's worth of Rx's to take (Q12 for one & Q6 for the other).  Numb & throbbing goes up past my wrist.

20240403_155659.jpg

The hits keep coming... I'm gonna have tears of joy if Bandit's issues cost less than $ 500.⁰⁰

For being so big/fast, damn they are fragile.  My aunt used to board and train rodeo horses and breeding studs.  Their prize stallion just up and died on them (colic, I think?).  That doesn't count the myriad of other crap that happens day to day.  Crushed her business.  Then she got into horse rehab and massages to help relieve the same muscle issues athletes have.  

I wrote my acceptance letter on showing Arabian stallions.  I'm just a kid, dressed up in my stupid little riding tux with white gloves and tails, and there is a mare in heat.  All the riders congregate at the gate prior to them opening the arena, and my boy is losing his shit.  I'm talking rearing up on his back legs.  Horse wang flopping around like an elephants nose.  We used a double-bridle, with a snaffle bit and a fixed bit to help with the arching of the head/neck.  Were in this narrow procession lined with horse stalls and I think I'm done.  I fall off, I'm getting stepped on or worse and this guy is going to go full rodeo.  I'm maybe 13-14?  So I crank his head to one side - hard, and whip him into a tight circle.  His head is cranked so far over we're looking at each other in the eye.  They open the gate and he's bucking and losing his shit.  I didn't even place, but I didn't die either.....

Still undefeated.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

@BabaYaga

Did rodeo inconsistently for 2½ years in HS (Bareback & Bulls).  Hit the dirt every time, nothing worse than a bruise.  Rubber band body for a 16 year old?

"Broke to Ride"... total of 6 broken ribs over 15 years / 3 wrecks on 2 horses (last was ~1 year ago).

¿Yay me?

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

@BabaYaga

Did rodeo inconsistently for 2½ years in HS (Bareback & Bulls).  Hit the dirt every time, nothing worse than a bruise.  Rubber band body for a 16 year old?

"Broke to Ride"... total of 6 broken ribs over 15 years / 3 wrecks on 2 horses (last was ~1 year ago).

¿Yay me?

I grabbed a $2 bill off a goats tail at the Coleman Rodeo when I was 4-5yrs old.  That the extent of my time "in the dirt".  My cousins were all ropers and barrel riders

Me at the rodeo growing up

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95204o7t6ywt5jt9wzers

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well... that was interesting. 

Probably saved myself $ 375++ (field call) AND I guarantee he won't tell anyone what happened however the other horse didn't seem to mind watching.  Freak.

Keep in mind on size that the nickel piece is flat... this wasn't. 

T-shirt:  "You Ain't Cowboyin' Until You Get The 🫘"

IMG_1063.jpg

20240405_160717.jpg