Is Deshaun Watson Done in Houston?

Vic Mackey

They were all bitches. Eli was a punk bitch for thinking he was too good for San Diego. Rivers was a punk bitch for trying to argue he should paid like #1 because he ended up with the team who originally held the #1 overall pick. They deserve criticism. Favre deserved some criticism for his retirement/unretirement, but the Packers certainly antagonized him by limiting his trade to shit teams and then including poison pill clauses that those couldn’t trade him back to an NFC North team. 

Deshaun deserves some criticism for wanting out because he hates the owner and his pastor cronie and the roster and draft capital are shitty, because every one of those things were true when he signed the mega extension. GTFO with these “no guaranteed contracts = no loyalty” takes. He negotiated and signed a deal with a lot of signing bonus money, a lot of annual guaranteed money, and a no trade clause. If gets a career ending injury in the next couple years, the Texans are pretty fucked too from a salary cap standpoint. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Did they not promise him input before he signed the extension?  I'm not sure of the time line on that.  If they did and then didn't follow through, then I don't blame him no matter what type of contract he signed.  I don't know that any team would ever put that in writing in a contract, so it may not be legally enforceable, but if that's what they promised...

35 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Name me one HOF that came out against Eli.

Bizarre? He wasn't happy with the direction the Packers were going, drafting Rodgers among other things(sound familiar?) so he quit. Then came back and got traded. What money did he forfeit? When he was traded to the Jets, did he not play under his current contract?

1. Favre (who I never liked) did not going looking for a microphone to blast Deshaun. He was asked for his take while he was on an invited interview related to the Super Bowl. 
2. Rodgers had been on the team for a couple years and the Packers tried to get Favre to retire. After accepting he wouldn’t start for them again, he retired. Then he decided he wasn’t done playing and wanted to be released so he could be a free agent. Everyone knew the team with the best chance to win but lacked a QB was Minnesota. GB refused to release him, so they traded his ass to the Jets with a poison pill clause that they couldn’t flip him back to the Vikings, Bears, or Lions. The Jets ended up releasing him after one year so he could be an UFA and then sign with Minnesota. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Sandman said:

You can get one, but for less years and total money. Kirk Cousins got one. But they know they deal before they sign, it shouldn't take them by surprise. Roll the dice for a chance of a multi-million dollar salary or take a regular job like the rest of us chumps. 

Ok...what is your point? Watson signed a four year non-guaranteed contract and both he and the Texans knew the deal. Watson is expected to treat that contract as sacrosanct, keep his mouth shut and let the chips fall as they may. Nobody forced him to sign that deal after all. The Texans are free to terminate that contract as the cost of a salary cap hit whenever it is beneficial to them. 

Mentioning him taking a regular job is just an attempt to confuse the issue. The numbers on the check don't matter.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Ok...what is your point? Watson signed a four year non-guaranteed contract and both he and the Texans knew the deal. Watson is expected to treat that contract as sacrosanct, keep his mouth shut and let the chips fall as they may. Nobody forced him to sign that deal after all. The Texans are free to terminate that contract as the cost of a salary cap hit whenever it is beneficial to them. 

Mentioning him taking a regular job is just an attempt to confuse the issue. The numbers on the check don't matter.

This is not true. There is significant guaranteed money throughout the contract, in addition to the $22M signing bonus, that Deshaun will get if the Texans cut him because he gets injured or starts to suck. 

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Deshaun deserves some criticism for wanting out because he hates the owner and his pastor cronie and the roster and draft capital are shitty, because every one of those things were true when he signed the mega extension. GTFO with these “no guaranteed contracts = no loyalty” takes. He negotiated and signed a deal with a lot of signing bonus money, a lot of annual guaranteed money, and a no trade clause. If gets a career ending injury in the next couple years, the Texans are pretty fucked too from a salary cap standpoint. 

Again, why is it ok for a billionaire franchise to leverage their position and industry rules to their benefit but if a millionaire athlete does the same it's because of his bad character? 

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

This is not true. There is significant guaranteed money throughout the contract, in addition to the $22M signing bonus, that Deshaun will get if the Texans cut him because he gets injured or starts to suck. 

I know, I simplified it. I believe it's year 3 or 4 where they can cut him and he's no longer guaranteed that year's $ if I remember correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Again, why is it ok for a billionaire franchise to leverage their position and industry rules to their benefit but if a millionaire athlete does the same it's because of his bad character? 

I know, I simplified it. I believe it's year 3 or 4 where they can cut him and he's no longer guaranteed that year's $ if I remember correctly. 

The merits of fully guaranteed contracts in a violent sport like football can be debated, but the NFLPA has never negotiated that into a CBA. They usually compromised for bigger shares of the tv and merchandise $$$, and recently better retirement and medical benefits. 

If Watson/Mahomes/whoever has a knee explosion event tomorrow, then the Texans/Chiefs/whoever are colossally fucked. The players would still get a rather significant portion of their mega millions contract for never playing another down. Both sides carry risks. Simply being a player in the NFL shouldn’t give someone the right to force their team into a bad trade because they don’t like how things are going. This is a terrible situation mostly of the Texans doing, but all teams have periods where draft picks bust, bad contracts pile up, and they are down a couple years. If he hated Cal and Easterby enough to potentially blow up the franchise, he should have never signed the 4 year extension in September. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Both sides carry risks. Simply being a player in the NFL shouldn’t give someone the right to force their team into a bad trade because they don’t like how things are going. This is a terrible situation mostly of the Texans doing, but all teams have periods where draft picks bust, bad contracts pile up, and they are down a couple years. If he hated Cal and Easterby enough to potentially blow up the franchise, he should have never signed the 4 year extension in September. 

I agree with some of this but like always the underlining point seems to be that it's up to the player to shut up and eat shit. Never the franchise. You said yourself the terrible situation is the Texans doing. They fucked around, lost the trust of their franchise player and now he's demanded a trade. 

Players shouldn't be able to force teams into bad trades and Watson can't do that here. The Texans can call his bluff, expect him to show up to work and fine him if he doesn't and that would be perfectly reasonable from their perspective to do so. Maybe they find a trade that's acceptable to them. Watson can show up and play, he can hold out and hope they cave and move him, or he can retire and pay back a percentage of his bonus. None of decisions mean jack shit about his character though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'm not trying to confuse anything. I'm saying either take the millions or don't. I assume he wants the cash because he signed the deal. If he decides that football isn't his thing, he can move on and do something else. IDGAF what he does. 

Both parties can negotiate for whatever they want guaranteed. Neither party can terminate the contract without a clause permitting termination. Both sides have to sign agreeing to all the provisions, including the provisions for termination. One player may want "guaranteed" money and no incentives. Another player may want less "guaranteed" money and more incentives. 

I don't care if the NFL ends up implementing a rule that all money must be "guaranteed." But all that does is add rigidity to the contracting process. Maybe it'd be better for the players; I don't know.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Another punk bitch lol

JohnElwayWhatIf.jpg

Yeah.  Except that he went to 5 Super Bowls, won 2, was league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, won a Super Bowl as an exec, started car dealerships he sold for close to $100 million and still owns others. So he backed up his BS.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Yeah.  Except that he went to 5 Super Bowls, won 2, was league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, won a Super Bowl as an exec, started car dealerships he sold for close to $100 million and still owns others. So he backed up his BS.

Yes, but AFTER he refused to play for a shit franchise. See how this works?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

If Watson is traded of all the contenders the Jets and the 49’ers make the most sense. The writers covering the 49’ers put together their own mock trade:

San Francisco 49ers

Offer: No. 12 pick in the 2021 draft, 2021 third-round pick, 2022 first-round pick, 2022 third-round pick, WR Deebo Samuel. QB Garoppolo.

49’ers are in a pretty decent position cap wise vs the rest of NFC West, plus Garoppolo is probably (if he can stay healthy) a better deal for the Texans than Darnold or Tua. Texans need draft picks. Plus they have to play the NFC East this year. Doubt they want to face a Watson run Jets or Dolphins offense.

Anyway, jmo as always. Not going to disparage Watson for why he wants out. I am sure there is more to it than we know. Again, jmo. Easterby has the controls and Tommy Boy is allowing it. Cal also confirmed that he promised Watson’s his input on the GM/HC situation. Why he promised that, don’t know. When he promised that, don’t know. Why Cal decided not to follow through on his promise, don’t know. But he’s made it more than clear Easterby is here to stay despite everyone inside the industry thinking and verbalizing Easterby is fucking nuts. And has no business being in the role that he is in. His continued presence will only continue to harm the team. But Cal is too inept and stupid to understand this. Since selling the team isn’t part of his master plan one can only hope a trade can help the Texans build for the future. I hope the new HC works out but...not incredibly optimistic that a 65 year old who has never even been a coordinator will be able to put together a winning season. It sucks to watch.

8 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

If Watson is traded of all the contenders the Jets and the 49’ers make the most sense. The writers covering the 49’ers put together their own mock trade:

San Francisco 49ers

Offer: No. 12 pick in the 2021 draft, 2021 third-round pick, 2022 first-round pick, 2022 third-round pick, WR Deebo Samuel. QB Garoppolo.

49’ers are in a pretty decent position cap wise vs the rest of NFC West, plus Garoppolo is probably (if he can stay healthy) a better deal for the Texans than Darnold or Tua. Texans need draft picks. Plus they have to play the NFC East this year. Doubt they want to face a Watson run Jets or Dolphins offense.

Anyway, jmo as always. Not going to disparage Watson for why he wants out. I am sure there is more to it than we know. Again, jmo. Easterby has the controls and Tommy Boy is allowing it. Cal also confirmed that he promised Watson’s his input on the GM/HC situation. Why he promised that, don’t know. When he promised that, don’t know. Why Cal decided not to follow through on his promise, don’t know. But he’s made it more than clear Easterby is here to stay despite everyone inside the industry thinking and verbalizing Easterby is fucking nuts. And has no business being in the role that he is in. His continued presence will only continue to harm the team. But Cal is too inept and stupid to understand this. Since selling the team isn’t part of his master plan one can only hope a trade can help the Texans build for the future. I hope the new HC works out but...not incredibly optimistic that a 65 year old who has never even been a coordinator will be able to put together a winning season. It sucks to watch.

That's not even close to enough to get Watson.  And I would rather have Tua than JimmyG any day of the week. 

I copied and pasted below one of the comments under a battle red blog piece. I laughed even though what’s happening to the Texans via Easterby and Cal’s misguided reliance on the douche of Eastwick...I mean Jack...is frustrating to watch. Funny how the management/ownership of the Texans keeps referencing “servant leadership.” Particularly as it pertains to Easterby (who says it all the time). If Jack truly believes in servant leadership he should step aside as his continued involvement and various power plays for more control are detrimental to the organization. The players do not want him around and have avoided him as much as possible. Despite the pleas Easterby has made for them to back him up. Comment from under the piece:

“By the "team" playing hardball with Watson ultimately means they hold on post draft, hold on even when he sits out and then end up trading him for  3 copies of the dead sea scrolls, a half bottle of good bourbon, and Cam Newton. Cal calls it, "a good deal." ---- Deshaun's new team then sends Texans management a fruit basket and tickets to see them in the playoffs next season. 

Did I mention Easterby replaces Jamey Roots as  Team President...?”

1 hour ago, Hate said:

That's not even close to enough to get Watson.  And I would rather have Tua than JimmyG any day of the week. 

Yeah no thanks.  Better be bringing a top 5 pick in this year's draft to even start the conversation. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah no thanks.  Better be bringing a top 5 pick in this year's draft to even start the conversation. 

So basically Miami or the Jets?  Not sure limiting the discussion to those 2 teams will get you the most robust offer.

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Two 1st rounders, two 3rd rounders, a pro bowl WR, and starting QB aren't enough? That is a good deal

Deebo certainly has that type of potential but he hasn't made a pro bowl just yet.

12 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yes, but AFTER he refused to play for a shit franchise. See how this works?

Are you saying these situations are the same? I never said Elway wasn’t a bitch. However, his bitch move came before the Colts picked him and then after the draft. Deshaun played for the team for 3.5 years and then signed a 4 year extension before deciding the Texans were a shitty run franchise and demanding to be traded. 

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Two 1st rounders, two 3rd rounders, a pro bowl WR, and starting QB aren't enough? That is a good deal

For a second I thought “maybe involve the Patriots so they get Jimmy G, and Texans get their #15 pick?” but I’m sure Belichick is thinking why not just wait until SF cuts him and then sign him as a free agent?

#12, #15, 2022 first rounder, and two 3rds is getting closer to a good deal. 

The Tua + #3 + #18 + extras deal seems off the table at this point. I don’t think the Dolphins’ brain trust sees the improvement of Tua to Watson being worth draining their tremendous draft capital. If Tua becomes good to great, their team could be absolutely stacked for the next 5 years. 

For a second I thought “maybe involve the Patriots so they get Jimmy G, and Texans get their #15 pick?” but I’m sure Belichick is thinking why not just wait until SF cuts him and then sign him as a free agent?

The Tua + #3 + #18 + extras deal seems off the table at this point. I don’t think the Dolphins’ brain trust sees the improvement of Tua to Watson being worth draining their tremendous draft capital. If Tua becomes good to great, their team could be absolutely stacked for the next 5 years. 

I agree with that completely. I think Miami is well coached and they believe they can win with an average or slightly above average QB. If they get Tua some real weapons on the outside, he could win a lot of games with them. I don’t think he’s some sort of generation talent, but he could be serviceable enough with offensive playmakers, a good defense, and really good coaching.

17 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Tua was pretty lousy last year.  Now he was a rookie so not a huge deal, but his lack of arm strength and top line physical attributes makes it important that he wins on the mental side of the game.  Interestingly enough, Watson is only 2.5 year older than Tua.  No idea if the Texans front office is being realistic with their asks right now or if they're even genuinely engaging in discussions, but Tua to Watson is a pretty huge gap at this time.  But so are the AAV's on their current contracts too.  

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Are you saying these situations are the same? I never said Elway wasn’t a bitch. However, his bitch move came before the Colts picked him and then after the draft. Deshaun played for the team for 3.5 years and then signed a 4 year extension before deciding the Texans were a shitty run franchise and demanding to be traded. 

The Texans were a bad to mediocre franchise when he was drafted and now they have become the laughingstock of all pro sports, maybe in my entire lifetime. I have never seen anything like this. Histori-bad. 

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The Texans were a bad to mediocre franchise when he was drafted and now they have become the laughingstock of all pro sports, maybe in my entire lifetime. I have never seen anything like this. Histori-bad. 

did you hear Tilman owns The Rockets...

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah.

If there is anyone in Houston I hate more than the McNairs it's Tilman. I am relieved I peaced out on the NBA in the late '90s. (Couldn't abide the shady officiating anymore.)

I quit on The Oilers just before the season where they let Buffalo have the biggest comeback in playoff history...I felt like shit about it and my friends were on me pretty hard about it until after that Buffalo game when a bunch of them said they wished they had quit on them when I did

I told them that I knew ks butt adams was a fucking loser through and through and the Oilers would suck cocks as long as he was alive so fuck it no use in giving a shit....I checked out on the NBA mostly when I could not keep up with who was playing on what team and most of the players were piles of shit off the court and sometimes on it and all the trades were about some dickhead trying to get with a few others to win it all wherever they could and fuck anything else

on the one hand you have the lack of trades in the NFL (until recently) and seemingly less in the MLB, but in the NBA it is just out of control the other way and the short contracts too

I want to pull for a team not some player....I guess that is why college sports can still hold me (for now)

• Hook 'Em 1

It didn't hurt his career, cost him any money. I also don't remember any HOF members telling him to just deal with it. Public opinion meant very little in the grand scheme.

Also Favre threw a fit, quit and then came back to play for who he wanted. So the ownage stands.

Whoa whoa..he didn’t quit, he was sent to the Jets. So he did his time to earn the right to play for the Vikings

On 2/4/2021 at 4:50 PM, runthebone said:

Did they not promise him input before he signed the extension?  I'm not sure of the time line on that.  If they did and then didn't follow through, then I don't blame him no matter what type of contract he signed.  I don't know that any team would ever put that in writing in a contract, so it may not be legally enforceable, but if that's what they promised...

He signed his extension at the beginning of last season before O’Brien was fired. 

watson is a dipshit getting poor advice from his agent. (a) this isn’t the NBA and (2) he isn’t lebron and (d) he hasn’t won anything. if he wants to make the front office decisions he’s much, much dumber than anyone realized. also I am grateful to the texans and the city of houston for having an NFL franchise that is currently more of a joke than the cowboys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thought yall might need an uninformed opinion here.

Trade him to Tennessee for Tanneyhill, the rights to the Oilers name and as high a draft pick as they can get. Seems as though this was mentioned above. I like the NFL but am not inspired to watch the Texans even with Watson. Being the Oilers adds a little more life.

I don't get any comparison of Watson to Manning. And I would assume that Manning and Elway are not the only two guys who informed teams they didn't want to play for them before being drafted or ever playing a down for that team. It's a frequent occurrence to demand a trade so it's nothing out of the ordinary here. I am not certain any players or former players called out Manning, but it was a topic of discussion in which not everyone agreed with Manning. And you can bet your ass if social media was a thing, more people would have "spoken" out.

As a non-Oiler and non-Texan fan, the only winning outcome is that the Oilers return to town.

• Hook 'Em 1