Is Deshaun Watson Done in Houston?

Vic Mackey

6 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The Texans keep screwing up at every chance, but if you step back and the situation is “young star QB who just signed 4 year extension for second most money in NFL history demands a trade because he didn’t get input on new GM hire” it does make Deshaun look like a diva. It’s easy to pick on the Texans because they are perpetual screw ups, but if this was Quarterback X playing for Team Y the consensus would probably be “since when does a player under contract get to dictate front office hires or threaten to force a sub value trade?”

Honestly this is barely worth responding to because you willfully left out "... after being told he would have input on the GM and coaching hire, ownership publicly confirmed that, and then went a completely different direction from the result of the due diligence process to hire the guy they always wanted anyway"

I don't know why some of you are dying on this hill. It isn't that complicated.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, Rv8riveter said:

Mario had the better career and could be argued the better player, but he was still the wrong choice. If the Texans would have been a contender then yes, a DE can be the difference maker (Haley to Cowboys for example). But, they were an expansion franchise lacking impact talent and depth. You draft Vince to build the fan base and be able to run for his life. Vince made other players better, Mario did not. The win/loss record would not have been significantly different most likely, but having Andre to throw to would have been much different from what he had in Tennessee.

Lulz. The most 2 important assets to a NFL team is a franchise QB and pass rushers. The Texans made the right choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, DougO said:

The situation is a mutual clusterfuck. Watson has done himself no favors in handling his side of it and has potentially weakened his value. I am not a Texans fan or hater, but I like good (nonaggy) football in the state of Texas where it belongs. I hope the relationship can still be salvaged. Watson's scorched earth tirades aren't helping, and even if he somehow sticks around it's likely to remain an issue.

I don’t understand where any of this is coming from? What exactly has Watson himself done that has done him no favors? And a 25 year old top 5 qb can only lessen their value so much. Not enough for it to matter. The Texans will get a god father package for Watson, and Watson will move on. His teammates have his back. Former players have his back. Watson isn’t looking like the bad guy in any way in this situation. And Watson is handling this the only way he can if he’s going to get what he wants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/18/2021 at 11:41 PM, Hurtlocker said:

I've found, literally, nothing to back that.   Nearly every report, which comes from the same sources, state that, like you say it was between the owners and the NFL, the conversation was clearly about the anthem.   Per earlier request, got a link to your take?

Many in the family feel Bob died of a broken heart as a result of this misrepresentation. 

Houston Texans owner Bob McNair is taking back his apology over his "inmates running the prison," comment.  McNair tells "The Wall Street Journal" he had nothing to apologize for because he was referring to NFL executives, not players.  McNair says the comments were made during a meeting about the relationship between owners and executives, and says the statement is common for people in business.  McNair was roundly criticized for the statement, and apologized shortly after the information came to light last year.  He also denies saying the team wouldn't sign anyone who protested during the National Anthem.  McNair says people need to have a more complete view of his community work, including paying for the funerals of the 2015 South Carolina church shooting victims. 

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I for one trust and support the son of the former owner who has never accomplished anything in his life and who everyone calls Tommy Boy behind his back and who has been bamboozled by an evangelical snake oil salesman over the 25 year old top-5 QB. Just common sense. 

and whose mommy put him in charge.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

The situation is a mutual clusterfuck. Watson has done himself no favors in handling his side of it and has potentially weakened his value. I am not a Texans fan or hater, but I like good (nonaggy) football in the state of Texas where it belongs. I hope the relationship can still be salvaged. Watson's scorched earth tirades aren't helping, and even if he somehow sticks around it's likely to remain an issue.

Dude. Stop commenting. Deshaun is entitled to do far more than he has already as far as I'm concerned. He's unhappy and has the right to be. He just played 16 games for a team that had no shot at making the playoffs and clearly works his ass off every day of the week including Sunday. He led the NFL in passing on a fucking 4 win team with like 2 and a half legitimate NFL receivers on most game days. He's much more plugged into this situation than anyone here. If he's concerned about wasting some of his prime years playing for a franchise that has done nothing to help him win and wants to be traded because of it then I don't really blame him. The Texans owe him far more than he owes them. Acting like this is a situation where both parties are to blame is fucking absurd. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DougO said:

I'll take dumb ass takes for $100, Alex.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, softlynow said:

The lesson is when you realize something is rotten, move on. I've been a Texan fan, but had not read or heard anything about Easterby. Now that I have, and learned about the prosperity theology beliefs of the McNair's, the dysfunction and incompetence of the Texan administration makes sense. They've been taken in by a philosophy that is, in reality, simply meant to enable grifters, and they've now promoted one to Executive Vice President of Football Operations. A fucking conman preacher.

Jerry Jones shouldn't be mentioned in a conversation with these clowns. He's 100x the owner that Cal is. If I had Texans gear, I'd be donating it in short order.

Edit to add: Hell, he fucking looks like a conman pederast:

spacer.png

I thought that was Moby 

Some of the people on this thread get just the kind of franchise they deserve. Keep on trucking on with that "the boss is always right" mentality, y'all. I am sure Cal McNair will reward your patience with a dynasty any day now. 

I mean once he gets past that whole loss of franchise QB from a salary cap disaster of a 4-12 franchise with no draft picks bit. When him and Cackalacky Rasputin Easterby get all the pieces in place they are going to be like the early '90s Cowboys, only with nice Christian boys instead of hooligans with multiple babymamas. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My earlier posts were playing devil’s advocate (that Watson may be watching too much James Harden and shouldnt have total control to assrape a franchise) and I said the Texans screwed up at every opportunity. They did, and the McNairs suck, and they should pay Fat lady Adams $10M for the Oilers name and colors. It still doesn’t mean they should be forced into a shit value trade. The $22M of prorated signing bonus they will eat and the new team won’t have to pay should also be factored in to the value when determining compensation. All this two first rounders bullshit needs to stop. The ESPN’s of the world are pumping that narrative, and then will be first to destroy the Texans afterwards for getting raped in another trade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:54 AM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Dolphins got two 1st rounders for a LT.

Jags got two 1st rounders for a CB. 

Not that it would ever happen but on the same scale Watson should fetch about seven 1st round draft picks. 

Does it set the market if both of the GMs  in those deals are no longer employed by the Jags or Houston?

Edited by slorch

Can't blame the guy for demanding a trade. They dumped off one of the best receivers for a running back that would be the #2 or 3 back on most teams and Ross Blacklock. Watson has never been protected by a serviceable OL throughout his career and takes a beating. Watson never experienced the luxury of a #1 back that can take pressure off the passing game and BoB's array of deep threat pass catchers went up in smoke.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:
Wonder if JJ Watt is going to stick it out, or if he'll finish his career with another team.

He'll get cut or traded...

They need to trade him quick because Watson’s accelerated signing bonus cap hit will put them even further over the cap where their only choice will be to start cutting the high price vets with little to no guaranteed money left: Watt ($17.5m), Cooks ($12m), David Johnson ($8.8m)

Teams will just wait to sign Watt after he gets cut. 

Wonder if JJ Watt is going to stick it out, or if he'll finish his career with another team.

Houston already pretty much had to dump him due to his cap number, now they absolutely have to. You could justify, however flimsy the argument, keeping him around with Deshaun based on the idea that all pro cornerstones on both sides of the ball help you be legitimately competitive. Losing Watson is a several year reset.

Move Watt, shed the cap burden, maybe get some day three draft picks (no one’s paying up a 2-3 now because Houston is officially in fire sale mode) and do right by your franchise’s GOAT by letting him finish out on a contender.

If Houston keeps him they are stupid. So they’ll probably keep him and he’ll have to ask to be waived.
  • Haha 1

So Watt goes to GB and plays TE so the Packers can claim they helped Rojahs...
and all of JJ's work in the Houston Metro/ Harvey is gone and forgotten?

Of course not. One of the reasons they need to do right by him and let him go chase a ring while he’s still got some good football in front of him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's either the Jets or the Dolphins.  Those are the only teams with the right combinations of draft picks and draft position.  I think it is going to end up being Miami.  They seem to be fairly well run and definitely are well coached.  Add Deshaun and a playmaker on the outside and they could compete with Buffalo for the division title for the next 5-7 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

It's either the Jets or the Dolphins.  Those are the only teams with the right combinations of draft picks and draft position.  I think it is going to end up being Miami.  They seem to be fairly well run and definitely are well coached.  Add Deshaun and a playmaker on the outside and they could compete with Buffalo for the division title for the next 5-7 years. 

Why the Dolphins? They've invested in Tua and he's shown promise. Serious question. The Jets for sure, but what about Pittsburgh? I don't know their cap or if they could take his contract, but Ben has to be retiring soon. Or maybe even NYG?