RIP Don Sutton

Saint Tacky

He obviously had some dominant seasons, but he was just brutally consistent.  Out of 23 seasons, he maybe had 2-3 "down" years and even those were just mediocre, not bad by any means.  Threw over 200 innings in 20 different seasons and yet only walked over 80 guys in 2 seasons.  That's insane.  Now, you throw 150 innings and walk 80 guys, you're on the Cy Young watch list.  Also, I know it was a "pitcher" year but look at his 1968.  208 innings pitched.  Gave up a whopping 6 home runs.  

RIP, Mr. Sutton.  Seems like a lot of great pitchers are being called back lately, to that great rotation in the sky.  

Damn, another sports icon of my youth.  I can't believe he was only 75.  I figured he was much older.  RIP to another Dodger great. Some interesting Sutton history below:

Sutton has the record for most at-bats without a home run (1,354). Sutton holds another record: seven times in his career, he pitched nine scoreless innings but got a no-decision. He also holds the major league record for most consecutive losses to one team, having lost 13 straight games to the Chicago Cubs.[28] At the time of his death, he held the franchise record for most wins (233) and strikeouts (2,696) as a Dodger.[29]

Shit, I remember hearing that at-bats w/o HR record years ago on some random game broadcast.  Maybe a playoff game versus the Cubs.  But I had no idea he went 13 straight losing to the Cubs.  I think I saw him pitch against Chicago when he was the Astros, but can't recall for sure.  

If you're a middle-of-the-lineup hitter and your pitcher throws 9 scoreless innings 7 times and you can't get him a single win...you have to let him bang your wife.  It's just locker-room code man. 

3 hours ago, Teddyballgame said:

The durable Sutton never missed a turn in the rotation in 756 big league starts. 

wow

This might actually be more impressive to me than Cal Ripken's streak.  And about half of those starts were on what would now be considered short rest in a 4-man rotation.  Remarkable.

• Like 2