The Wizard

jimmyjazz

A friend posted this to Facebook . . . let me know if it's not viewable w/o a FB account . . . I grew up on the Cardinals, and Ozzie is my all-time favorite, depending on the day you ask me.  (I might answer Lou Brock or Bob Gibson.) 

When we traded Garry Templeton for Ozzie, the loss in batting average was more than overcome by the gain in fielding, effort, teamwork, and all around greatness.

https://fb.watch/3b321lDXnG/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I’m putting together a highlight reel of one of the more exciting players to ever put on a uniform. Batting section is up.  What should I lead with?

I dunno.  Maybe a soft single to right?

I loved the Dodgers in the 80s, so I for one am glad they didn't lead with a Tom Niedenfuer pitch.

Candy Maldonado and I are both disappointed that this didn't make the highlights:

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I’m putting together a highlight reel of one of the more exciting players to ever put on a uniform. Batting section is up.  What should I lead with?

I dunno.  Maybe a soft single to right?

Do you even "go crazy folks," bro?

The first two fielding plays were kind of routine too, no?

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

A friend posted this to Facebook . . . let me know if it's not viewable w/o a FB account . . . I grew up on the Cardinals, and Ozzie is my all-time favorite, depending on the day you ask me.  (I might answer Lou Brock or Bob Gibson.) 

When we traded Garry Templeton for Ozzie, the loss in batting average was more than overcome by the gain in fielding, effort, teamwork, and all around greatness.

https://fb.watch/3b321lDXnG/

I've probably said it here before but he made me a cardinals fan. I grew up in baseball wasteland. And my house was tv wasteland. 5 channels. Was at my grandparents  house in the "city" 20 miles away and game 1 of the 85 world series was on TV. Ozzie came out and did the back flip and that was it. Cards fan ever since. 

Edited by pops

. . . and in case anyone is still missing the point, this thread has nothing to do with Ozzie at the plate.  It's about Ozzie in the field.  He was arguably the greatest defensive shortstop of all time, certainly in the argument and definitely in the top 3.  13 Gold Gloves launches the conversation, but it goes much farther than that.  He was the one who started making those unreal plays that modern players try to emulate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:59 PM, WBT said:

Do you even "go crazy folks," bro?

I seem to recall Vin Scully or Jack Buck having just finished saying something like "Ozzy Smith has never homered left handed."

Several years later Ozzy was in Houston and rumored to be speaking to the Astros during free agency. It was my off day but my boss (Bob Allen) made me drive around with our sports photographer to see if we could get video of an alleged meeting. We followed him from the airport and around town, wound up sitting at the bar in a restaurant watching him eat lunch. When he was done he came over to the bar, asked us if we were "local", and told us we were too conspicuous. I did get his autograph out of it though.

Edited by Saint Tacky
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and in case anyone is still missing the point, this thread has nothing to do with Ozzie at the plate.  It's about Ozzie in the field.  He was arguably the greatest defensive shortstop of all time, certainly in the argument and definitely in the top 3.  13 Gold Gloves launches the conversation, but it goes much farther than that.  He was the one who started making those unreal plays that modern players try to emulate.

MJ of baseball.

ok I did my best.  stupid threads need to fucking die. 

go horns.

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 8:38 PM, Saint Tacky said:

I seem to recall Vin Scully or Jack Buck having just finished saying something like "Ozzy Smith has never homered left handed."

Several years later Ozzy was in Houston and rumored to be speaking to the Astros during free agency. It was my off day but my boss (Bob Allen) made me drive around with our sports photographer to see if we could get video of an alleged meeting. We followed him from the airport and around town, wound up sitting at the bar in a restaurant watching him eat lunch. When he was done he came over to the bar, asked us if we were "local", and told us we were too conspicuous. I did get his autograph out of it though.

And instead we got Adam Everett!