2021 Sports car and other racing

elfenix

• 2 weeks later...

The 16yo son of some good friends of ours is racing in US F4 now, with the Crosslink team.  He just moved up from karting and raced in his very first ever weekend GP series racing at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

He finished every race, and not in last place, so I'd say that's a pretty good debut weekend.

Ryan Sheehan is the name for anyone interested in following him.

It'll be really cool to get to see him race in person when the series comes to COTA in early November.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe rally organizers should put an age limit on drivers?  Like say 67?

https://jalopnik.com/three-dead-within-24-hours-of-the-targa-tasmania-rally-1846756096

Three of the Australian Targa Tasmania rally’s competitors have died in the past 24 hours, series organizers confirm. One driver, Shane Navin, was killed yesterday while driver Leigh Mundy and co-driver Dennis Neagle were killed in a different crash today.

The Targa Tasmania takes its name from the Italian Targa Florio and is traditionally a five-day rally event that takes place on paved roads. It covers over 1,200 miles, and its website proclaims that it is “the longest and hardest tarmac rally in the world.” It is one race in the Australian Targa Championship, which includes other events in Adelaide and Victoria. Past competitors have included storied racers like Sir Jack Brabham, Sir Stirling Moss, Denny Hulme, Dick Johnson, Peter Brock, and Walter Röhrl. And in the history of the event, only two other drivers have died while competing.

Shane Navin was pronounced dead on the scene of his accident at 10am local time on Friday morning after rolling his 1979 Mazda RX-7. His co-driver, Glenn Evans, was uninjured. Navin was 68 years old. 

At 11:45am local time on Saturday morning, Munday’s 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS struck a tree. Both driver and co-driver were killed and declared dead at the scene. Mundy was 68 years old while Neagle was 59.

• 1 month later...

8 hours portimao (5a-1p, sunday), imsa in detroit (4-6 pm central, saturday), and bmw joining LMDh in 2023 (not sure if i saw that previously - assuming they'll run le mans, the 2023 24 hours is going to be amazing)

Edited by elfenix

44 minutes ago, elfenix said:

former LMP1 alpine on the pole followed by the toyotas.  top 3 covered by 2 tenths of a second.  top LMP2 car less than 1 second back.   SCG car is a second back from there. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Alonso back at Le Mans at some point in an Alpine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, I know, a few years early but, I still find this pretty interesting.

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/154741/red-bull-and-oreca-to-build-le-mans-hydrogen-car
Red Bull Advanced Technologies will partner with French constructor ORECA to produce the chassis for the new hydrogen class set for introduction at the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2024.
The sister company of the Red Bull Racing Formula 1 team, which is also co-developing the Aston Martin Valkyrie road car, joined forces with ORECA to make a successful bid to provide the one-make chassis for the new category of prototypes powered by hydrogen fuel cells.
The first task for the British and French companies is to "undertake and provide a detailed feasibility study for the vehicle concept", according to a statement from Le Mans organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest.
RBAT CEO Christian Horner said: "I am delighted that Red Bull Advanced Technologies has been chosen by the ACO along with our partner ORECA to develop the concept of a hydrogen-powered endurance racing car for Le Mans.
"RBAT is well qualified to take on the challenge set by the ACO having access to many of the tools used to design and develop the Red Bull Racing F1 car, along with significant experience on other cutting-edge vehicle programmes.
"The hydrogen class at Le Mans offers an exciting glimpse into the future of sustainable motorsport and promises both to advance the use of hydrogen in transportation, and will also deliver exciting racing."
Never heard a hydrogen engine either at idle or full acceleration...does it provide a similar sound to dino powered internal combustion? A huge part of motor racing is the overwhelming sound waves that pound the chests and eardrums like a good concert.

Seems if motorsports ever goes 100% EV it will take a lot of drama away from racing. The very thought the race leader could potentially launch a piston through their oil pan on the last lap makes everything more exciting...not overheating batteries that could potentially cause a fire, but probably wont.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 7/11/2021 at 1:48 AM, ousux said:

Never heard a hydrogen engine either at idle or full acceleration...does it provide a similar sound to dino powered internal combustion? A huge part of motor racing is the overwhelming sound waves that pound the chests and eardrums like a good concert.

Seems if motorsports ever goes 100% EV it will take a lot of drama away from racing. The very thought the race leader could potentially launch a piston through their oil pan on the last lap makes everything more exciting...not overheating batteries that could potentially cause a fire, but probably wont.

Yeah I've tried to watch Formula-E but I just can't.

And sitting in the main grandstands at COTA, listening to the raw throaty growl of NASCAR blasting though that narrow canyon, compared to the genteel murmurings of F1's turbo hybrids, was music to my ears.  It was nice actually needing my ear plugs.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

last hour of 24 hours of spa is worth a watch, really great racing forced by classic spa weather.  you can skip most of the yellow from 17:00 to 32:30 in the video.

also terrifying crash that everyone walked away from

18 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Kinda reminds me of that fatal F2 crash that killed Hubert a couple of years ago, at about the same spot.

that was my thought as well.  something should probably be done with some runoff area at the top of radillion there so cars aren't punted back out onto the track. 

• 2 weeks later...

3:14.791 was the fastest LMP1 lap, set by kamui kobayashi in 2017.  in the first outing for hypercar, kobayashi sets pole at 3:23.900.  a bit quicker than the 10 seconds slower projected.  barely a second faster than the 2018 LMP2 pole sitter, though. 

12 minutes ago, elfenix said:

3:14.791 was the fastest LMP1 lap, set by kamui kobayashi in 2017.  in the first outing for hypercar, kobayashi sets pole at 3:23.900.  a bit quicker than the 10 seconds slower projected.  barely a second faster than the 2018 LMP2 pole sitter, though. 

For the first run, that seems very good. I'd expect a lot of that time to be shed as they get 'er dialed in.

1 hour ago, wood said:

For the first run, that seems very good. I'd expect a lot of that time to be shed as they get 'er dialed in.

they better or the LMDH cars are going to eat their lunch.  current DPi cars are almost certainly faster at this point, based on sebring 2019 qualy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

first safety car as an aston loses it at the approach to indianapolis and spears the tire barrier.  new safety car regulation allows cars a wave by of the first safety car they're behind to catch the car in front of them

Edited by elfenix

Rain coming down again, one United Autosport car takes out the other, another car takes out Sophia Floersch (remember the huge F3 crash in Macao?) who got hit again while sideways on the track under yellow. More P2 cars flying around in other spots as well

• 1 month later...

Alpine is in (disappointed it won't be there in 2023):

The Alpine effort is initially scheduled to continue through to 2027 and will be run by longstanding parter Signatech, with the car to be based on the next generation ORECA LMP2 chassis with a new purpose-built engine developed at Renault’s Viry plant. However, by debuting the car in 2024, a year after LMDh makes its global debut, Alpine will miss out on the chance to win the 100th anniversary running of the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2023 with its new car.

https://racer.com/2021/10/05/alpine-confirms-hypercar-program-for-2024/

• Hook 'Em 1