Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It was literally called because of our lead and he was letting the team have fun. Jesus Christ. The 1st half is all y’all need to worry about in this game. Second half was just trying new things and getting stuff on film. 

42-14 at the half. While it sucks we gave up 21 in the second half that doesn’t tell us anything about this defense at all. 

E1A8BF08-7DB8-40A5-A01B-7F1FDF44CB69.jpeg

Not true. It tells us that our safeties bad play in the previous 3 games is continuing. Could be a personnel issue, but Foster and Schooler are getting abused in space. Would like to see more of Thompson and Adimora.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not true. It tells us that our safeties bad play in the previous 3 games is continuing. Could be a personnel issue, but Foster and Schooler are getting abused in space. Would like to see more of Thompson and Adimora.

Thompson literally got most of the snaps in the first half

most of the backups were in at most positions about 2/3 through the 3rd quarter. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I’d like to see Adimora instead of Foster. He was projected to start before Cook turned it on at nickel during camp. The two TDs that came in the first half were both on Foster. 

I'd bet Adimora is even less rangy than Foster is which is why he isn't seeing the field at safety on snaps that matter. I think he put on too much weight to play the nickel role in the previous scheme. Both him and Owens should be asking to be moved into Overshown's role. Crazy that 4 TDs yesterday were basically on 2 people,  not sure I put any of those 4 plays on the coaches, they both need to give better individual effort. 

On 9/25/2021 at 1:29 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

It would be nice to see Thornton try anything other than a Bull rush that gets nowhere even just once. I can’t believe how terrible he is at rushing the passer for a 6th year edge player. 

On 9/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

It looks like Jamison might need some help over the top, and apparently the soft gooey middle of the defense in zone was something PAC-12 QB’s weren’t overly familiar with. 

I think it’s a little bit that PAC offense we’re very basic spreads and also that our personnel have been fucked in the head when it comes to playing zone. Orlando taught our guys to occupy a spot instead of finding a man to cover or ever get hands on guys coming through the zone. Ash ran mainly quarters and C1/man secondarily, so we weren’t repping much true zone coverage. 

In other words, anyone who’s a third year or up has very bad habits established that great big gaps in our zone coverage and might take more time for them to unlearn then learn the right technique. 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Defense was definitely better early than they were once we built a huge lead and knew we were going to win (which was basically mid to late 2nd quarter).   However, I’m still a little baffled by some of the overall strategy with regard to each opponent.  

We play with safeties back, a light box, and Jett Bush at 4i or trying to set the edge against Arkansas even though they have no interest in throwing and are gashing us on the ground.   Then we repeatedly leave corners on an island against Texas Tech, a spread passing team in a game where they are having to throw deep to try to score quickly and make a comeback.  The Schooler collision play is one where he should have given better help over the top, but their other deep shots looked like they were true 1 on 1s.

Maybe I’m missing something - I am just a simple caveman and I haven’t studied the game film or anything - but I am not seeing the rationale behind some of our game plans.

It’s always hard to tell watching live and without All-22 film, but on at least a couple of those, it looked like we were playing Cover 3 (usually two outside CBs and one safety cover deep thirds).

That’s supposed to be a pretty safe coverage that doesn’t get beat deep. I think Jamison just royally fucked up the assignment once or twice, but I’ll try to see if I can find some better camera shots when it gets posted to YouTube. I’m also pretty curious if it was okay calling or execution that lead to all those big play TDs. Either way, it’s likely to be an issue moving forward. 

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I'd bet Adimora is even less rangy than Foster is which is why he isn't seeing the field at safety on snaps that matter. I think he put on too much weight to play the nickel role in the previous scheme. Both him and Owens should be asking to be moved into Overshown's role. Crazy that 4 TDs yesterday were basically on 2 people,  not sure I put any of those 4 plays on the coaches, they both need to give better individual effort. 

I remember during the spring the reports were that Adimora had shed the extra weight since the nickel was now requiring more coverage skills. Coming out of spring reports had him as having the nickel spot locked down. At his point I think it’s a few people on surly who could have more range and give more effort than Foster. 

Still hard to get much of a read on this defense in my opinion. They've been pretty good when games are still in question, but bad later when the games are out of hand. Is that fatigue? Is it losing focus/intensity bc the game is over? Or is it just a coincidence and they're really somewhere in between? Idk.

Ex: Yesterday the score was 35-7 until a long ball with 3:30 left in the first half. In the 3rd quarter, both TDs came on ~70 yard passes while we were up 35 pts. Both of those may have been due to loss of focus/intensity. One more TD in the 4th with backups in the game. So if the game is close and the players stay focused, do we give up 35 points? Who knows, may have been more like 14 or 21.

One thing for sure - TCU will be a tough test for our run D in particular

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Still hard to get much of a read on this defense in my opinion. They've been pretty good when games are still in question, but bad later when the games are out of hand. Is that fatigue? Is it losing focus/intensity bc the game is over? Or is it just a coincidence and they're really somewhere in between? Idk.

Ex: Yesterday the score was 35-7 until a long ball with 3:30 left in the first half. In the 3rd quarter, both TDs came on ~70 yard passes while we were up 35 pts. Both of those may have been due to loss of focus/intensity. One more TD in the 4th with backups in the game. So if the game is close and the players stay focused, do we give up 35 points? Who knows, may have been more like 14 or 21.

One thing for sure - TCU will be a tough test for our run D in particular

The issue is you would feel good about it if Tech was moving the ball throwing underneath. They were grabbing chunk yards in the passing game vs the starters. Scary, because Tech was the first team with a reasonable passing game. I have watched the defense through 4 games and I can’t tell you what they do well…. Maybe red zone defense 

Tech possession and yards

1st:

30 yards

75 yards  - TD

2nd:

0 - Pick 6

75 - TD

That is only 200 yards of offense in the 1st half with a defensive touchdown. That’s a solid half of football against a offense like Tech. Trying to read into the second half is literally pointless and I’m sure FEI will acknowledge the entire second half as garbage time.

First two possessions of second half with the starting defense still completely in:

Drive 1: Interception

Drive 2: -18 yards 

We were up 49-14 when tech got their next possession 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tech possession and yards

1st:

30 yards

75 yards  - TD

2nd:

0 - Pick 6

75 - TD

That is only 200 yards of offense in the 1st half with a defensive touchdown. That’s a solid half of football against a offense like Tech. Trying to read into the second half is literally pointless and I’m sure FEI will acknowledge the entire second half as garbage time.

First two possessions of second half with the starting defense still completely in:

Drive 1: Interception

Drive 2: -18 yards 

We were up 49-14 when tech got their next possession 

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What you should gather from the second half is the lack of quality depth at a lot of positions on defense that we aren’t able to hold them better/cover with backups. 

You don't know what you're talking about.  This wasn't a depth issue. These deep plays were against our starters, including both Thompsons, Jamison, Schooler and Foster, while they were trying. Similar to our win over ULL, there can still be red flags from a good win that will be exposed later.  Tech was the first team that even tried to pass on us much and they had 3 or 4 passes for 65+. That's a problem no matter how much you try to write it off because you can't handle the reality. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Found tweets of most of the deep plays. Here's the breakdown for each. 

Play 1 (69 yarder): It's Cover 1 Man.  Jamison is in man on the outside WR and does well until he quits on the play for no reason after he shoves the WR out of bounds. It's like he thought his man wasn't allowed to catch the ball after stepping out, which is not the rule.  So a pretty big fuck up by Jamison. However, it should've been about a 35 yarder at that point. Schooler obviously fucks up majorly and gives up the remaining 30 yards.  Since Schooler was in C1 and there was a deep route on the other side, you can't exepct him to be there to break up the throw, but you can expect him to make the tackle.  As for PK, he called C1 man on 3rd & 3. There's nothing unreasonable about the call. 

Play 2: It' s a little hard to tell the coverage because the camera doesn't show it the whole time and I think it was busted by Jerrin Thompson. The outside CBs are clearly playing man and they're in a technique that indicates they think they have deep help.  BJ Foster drops on the other side like it's C2.  Jerrin kind of looks the same at first but then gets his eyes caught in the backfield and cheats up.  I think he screwed up his responsibility and let the outside WR get past him without noticing.  Jamison's coverage really wasn't bad and was actually probably about right if it was C2.  There, you stick to your man but play his back hip so you can jump anything short/intermediate and you rely on the safety over top to help you deep.  So if I'm right on the coverage, then Jerrin fucked up massively and no one else really made a mistake.  Same goes for PK. C2 man should be one of the least susceptible to a deep ball like that.  

Play 3: Looks like we're playing Cover 3 based on how the top CB on the screen bails and Foster's positioning.  It once again looks like a coverage bust. Josh Thompson should've had the deep third where the ball was thrown but instead was way too far up field because he was covering the outside WR at the bottom of the screen instead of trusting the play call and getting the proper depth in his zone.  The offensive play is a C3 beater, and is designed to do exactly that to the outside CB. Get to bite on the outside WR, while the slot WR runs up the seam then fades to the outside so the middle safety in C3 can't get to it. Problem is, you would expect your 5th year CB to not get caught by that...unless he spent most of his career being coached by Todd Orlando.  Josh Thompson screwed up massively. I'd say BJ Foster screwed up some because there was no other route to hold him middle, so he should've been faster in getting over there, even if the play ended up outside his zone. Problem is, Foster is not a rangy deep safety so he's susceptible to stuff like this.  Once again for PK, he called C3 on 1st&10. Nothing really wrong with that. He didn't go full Todd Orlando and call Cover 0 on first down. 

So overall, I'd say there wasn't anything wrong with the scheme. We had 3 coverage busts by 3 different guys. Problem is, the coverage busts are so wide spread and there were so many that you can't reasonably write it off as a one-time thing. Our senior CBs are not playing to the level you want and they've been space cadets for years now so not a ton of reason for optimism. I'd like to see more of Dunn. He may have the same flaws, but we haven't seen them yet and he's looked pretty good when he plays. Safety is a problem. Schooler has been pretty bad at everything. Same for Foster. I'd say Jerrin Thompson is our best safety so far, but he's messed up a good bit too.  It's a little like the OL.  It's disappointing that our secondary is this bad and making these kinds of mistakes, but our players have received shit for coaching most of their careers, so the litmus test for this coaching staff will be how much we can improve over the course of the season.  

Good god please don't let fucking Quentin Johnston light us up next week.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You don't know what you're talking about.  This wasn't a depth issue. These deep plays were against our starters, including both Thompsons, Jamison, Schooler and Foster, while they were trying. Similar to our win over ULL, there can still be red flags from a good win that will be exposed later.  Tech was the first team that even tried to pass on us much and they had 3 or 4 passes for 65+. That's a problem no matter how much you try to write it off because you can't handle the reality. 

Calls from a defense late in a blowout aren’t the same as if the game is close. Yeah use it as learning experience but the sky isn’t falling. 

the one Jamison gave up he had his eyes in the backfield. Game was well in hand and he was playing lazy. 

schooler hasn’t started since Arkansas. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Calls from a defense late in a blowout aren’t the same as if the game is close. Yeah use it as learning experience but the sky isn’t falling. 

You have no clue if it's a real problem or not. Hell, you didn't even know that most of the big plays were against our starters. None of us know how much of a problem it will be because this was the first passing team we've faced, but it's worth pointing out and discussing. No one's saying TCU will throw for 400 on us, but it's clear we have some flaws in our secondary just like it was clear we had OL and DL flaws after ULL, which were exposed the very next game. 

If you can't handle people discussing actual football analysis and pointing out the negative and positives of our play, then just don't comment. You parading around the football board and calling anyone who doesn't say we're gonna blow out every team we play a pussy is the dumbest aggy shit ever.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He wasn't much better against Rice. He had a few nice plays against Arkansas. At this point he is what he is, a good athlete but a poor football player.

He’s not a plus athlete for a college safety.  Average to below average speed, average agility.  Repeatedly compensates for the above by futile attempts at arm tackles.  His best football has been played in a phone booth near the LOS.  Asking him to cover swaths of open field is asking for big plays.  

I have no data for any of this except watching football games like most other dumb fans. 

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You have no clue if it's a real problem or not. Hell, you didn't even know that most of the big plays were against our starters. None of us know how much of a problem it will be because this was the first passing team we've faced, but it's worth pointing out and discussing. No one's saying TCU will throw for 400 on us, but it's clear we have some flaws in our secondary just like it was clear we had OL and DL flaws after ULL, which were exposed the very next game. 

If you can't handle people discussing actual football analysis and pointing out the negative and positives of our play, then just don't comment. You parading around the football board and calling anyone who doesn't say we're gonna blow out every team we play a pussy is the dumbest aggy shit ever.  

Just because a starting corner was in doesn’t mean the starting d line or linebackers were in. Hell our starting corners were in until late while pretty much every other position was backups. 

you don’t know just as well as I don’t but I prefer to give benefit of doubt until proven otherwise. Games like this, especially second halves are indicative of pretty much nothing.

Good stuff Burt.  Now I'm curious to see what was happening on some of the other passing plays where Tech didn't connect.  Did they have better coverage so it wasn't thrown?  Were there other busts but the QB didn't see it, or was hurried by the D-line.  I do think it is inexcusable for the ball to be thrown over our head multiple times when not allowing that is rule #1.  There are plenty of other teams on the schedule that can make these same throws.

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Found tweets of most of the deep plays. Here's the breakdown for each. 

Play 1 (69 yarder): It's Cover 1 Man.  Jamison is in man on the outside WR and does well until he quits on the play for no reason after he shoves the WR out of bounds. It's like he thought his man wasn't allowed to catch the ball after stepping out, which is not the rule.  So a pretty big fuck up by Jamison. However, it should've been about a 35 yarder at that point. Schooler obviously fucks up majorly and gives up the remaining 30 yards.  Since Schooler was in C1 and there was a deep route on the other side, you can't exepct him to be there to break up the throw, but you can expect him to make the tackle.  As for PK, he called C1 man on 3rd & 3. There's nothing unreasonable about the call. 

Play 2: It' s a little hard to tell the coverage because the camera doesn't show it the whole time and I think it was busted by Jerrin Thompson. The outside CBs are clearly playing man and they're in a technique that indicates they think they have deep help.  BJ Foster drops on the other side like it's C2.  Jerrin kind of looks the same at first but then gets his eyes caught in the backfield and cheats up.  I think he screwed up his responsibility and let the outside WR get past him without noticing.  Jamison's coverage really wasn't bad and was actually probably about right if it was C2.  There, you stick to your man but play his back hip so you can jump anything short/intermediate and you rely on the safety over top to help you deep.  So if I'm right on the coverage, then Jerrin fucked up massively and no one else really made a mistake.  Same goes for PK. C2 man should be one of the least susceptible to a deep ball like that.  

Play 3: Looks like we're playing Cover 3 based on how the top CB on the screen bails and Foster's positioning.  It once again looks like a coverage bust. Josh Thompson should've had the deep third where the ball was thrown but instead was way too far up field because he was covering the outside WR at the bottom of the screen instead of trusting the play call and getting the proper depth in his zone.  The offensive play is a C3 beater, and is designed to do exactly that to the outside CB. Get to bite on the outside WR, while the slot WR runs up the seam then fades to the outside so the middle safety in C3 can't get to it. Problem is, you would expect your 5th year CB to not get caught by that...unless he spent most of his career being coached by Todd Orlando.  Josh Thompson screwed up massively. I'd say BJ Foster screwed up some because there was no other route to hold him middle, so he should've been faster in getting over there, even if the play ended up outside his zone. Problem is, Foster is not a rangy deep safety so he's susceptible to stuff like this.  Once again for PK, he called C3 on 1st&10. Nothing really wrong with that. He didn't go full Todd Orlando and call Cover 0 on first down. 

So overall, I'd say there wasn't anything wrong with the scheme. We had 3 coverage busts by 3 different guys. Problem is, the coverage busts are so wide spread and there were so many that you can't reasonably write it off as a one-time thing. Our senior CBs are not playing to the level you want and they've been space cadets for years now so not a ton of reason for optimism. I'd like to see more of Dunn. He may have the same flaws, but we haven't seen them yet and he's looked pretty good when he plays. Safety is a problem. Schooler has been pretty bad at everything. Same for Foster. I'd say Jerrin Thompson is our best safety so far, but he's messed up a good bit too.  It's a little like the OL.  It's disappointing that our secondary is this bad and making these kinds of mistakes, but our players have received shit for coaching most of their careers, so the litmus test for this coaching staff will be how much we can improve over the course of the season.  

Live at the game this seems correct. The only thing I will say is on play 3 the receiver up top appeared to draw Foster's attention for a bit due to the post route, which is why he was late getting there. Lastly, what is Schooler doing on play 3? lol

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Good stuff Burt.  Now I'm curious to see what was happening on some of the other passing plays where Tech didn't connect.  Did they have better coverage so it wasn't thrown?  Were there other busts but the QB didn't see it, or was hurried by the D-line.  I do think it is inexcusable for the ball to be thrown over our head multiple times when not allowing that is rule #1.  There are plenty of other teams on the schedule that can make these same throws.

I would beg to differ. Those were some really good throws.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just because a starting corner was in doesn’t mean the starting d line or linebackers were in. Hell our starting corners were in until late while pretty much every other position was backups. 

you don’t know just as well as I don’t but I prefer to give benefit of doubt until proven otherwise. Games like this, especially second halves are indicative of pretty much nothing.

Texas was down two CBs. Both Barron and Ibraheem were wearing knee braces Saturday. Now Ibraheem may be RS'ing, but Barron was getting plenty of reps at CB. I didn't really see Crawford on Saturday. Texas might be playing with 3 CBs.

16 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Remember, their QB got hurt in the second qtr. They brought in the backup and their offense changed quite a bit. Maybe those are plays the coaches like for him. Regardless, the backup was dropping those balls in perfectly. Those were not easy throws and he was hitting them without breaking stride.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

I remember during the spring the reports were that Adimora had shed the extra weight since the nickel was now requiring more coverage skills. Coming out of spring reports had him as having the nickel spot locked down. At his point I think it’s a few people on surly who could have more range and give more effort than Foster. 

Reports from who? You think a guy that actually had a spot locked down in the spring has been relegated to playing with the 2nd/3rd stringers once the game is out of hand? He still looks to bulky to me and I would not be surprised if he is slower than Foster which is why I think he should spin down. I bet these were the same reports that made Kitan sound like a break out star and he is another guy not really getting much burn besides special teams. 

1 hour ago, Yesh said:

Their QBs were a combined 26-34 for 392 and 3 TDs. Outside of the 2 picks and a couple sacks, there weren’t many times when Tech didn’t connect. That’s the problem. Blowout or not, giving up 76% completion at 11.5 Y/A is about as bad as it gets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Remember, their QB got hurt in the second qtr. They brought in the backup and their offense changed quite a bit. Maybe those are plays the coaches like for him. Regardless, the backup was dropping those balls in perfectly. Those were not easy throws and he was hitting them without breaking stride.

Colombi impressed me. He started a bit wobbly then settled in and started making those throws and like you say they were perfect. His performance is a silver lining for Tech fans to take out of that massacre.

As for the defense's lackluster performance, it would appear Sark considers it worthy of attention.

“The unfortunate thing defensively, you know, we lost a little bit of our mental intensity in allowing the ball to get over our heads,” Sarkisian said. “So the beauty of all this is it’s a really good win for us to start conference play, but we still have work to do. And I think that that’s a good sign that we can win, not be perfect, and have things to work on.”

“Our mental intensity is going to be critical — there’s a lot of high-powered offenses in our league and people aren’t going to stop trying to score because we get a lead, they’re going to try to score and our job is to defend the end zone and to get the ball off of them and to get it back to the offense,” Sarkisian said. “So you’ve got to play complementary football and we need to be better in that aspect of it moving forward.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was looking for something to hang our hat on (red zone d). This D looks bad. We miss Ossai badly.

Yeah. A plus edge rusher would have made a big difference against Tech and the general lack of a pass rush will probably cost Texas a game or two at some point this year.

I think the defensive scheme is generally sound - this isn’t Todd Orlando trying to use NFL 3 Tech Malcolm Roach at MLB or zero blitzing Joe Burrow on 3rd and 17. I think it can improve in years two and three as they get some scheme fits in. There are some places where I wish they’d play other guys, but they loaded up on several of the better transfers available, that guy just isn’t there right now.

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas was down two CBs. Both Barron and Ibraheem were wearing knee braces Saturday. Now Ibraheem may be RS'ing, but Barron was getting plenty of reps at CB. I didn't really see Crawford on Saturday. Texas might be playing with 3 CBs.

Yeah, what's the deal with Crawford.  I kept hearing how good he looked preseason, and how much upside he has, but he hasn't gotten much paying time this season.

9 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Yeah, what's the deal with Crawford.  I kept hearing how good he looked preseason, and how much upside he has, but he hasn't gotten much paying time this season.

I think that there might be the issue of Jamison and Josh Thompson being in positions as team leaders, even though Dunn and Crawford might be more talented.

And that's before we get into the current safety rotation.

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think that there might be the issue of Jamison and Josh Thompson being in positions as team leaders, even though Dunn and Crawford might be more talented.

And that's before we get into the current safety rotation.

I long for the days when our team leaders are good at football again. 

The defense up until this point has been dogshit.  I didn't think the offense would be this good and the defense so bad. 

At this point, all I can hope for is steady improvement as the season progresses. If we roll through October and November with more Tony Orlando-esque grabassedness, Buckle up.  

• Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?