Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Absolutely not true.

Sarkisian was trying to force the passing game much too early on rather than letting it come to him. He's been way too obsessed about connecting on deep throws.

There needed to be more steady employment of Roschon and Keilan because the run was there for the taking virtually all game. It could have been much better communicated to Casey to take off when the pocket blew up to prevent eventual 3rd and long situations. Credit to TCU, they were defending the pass well throughout the game.

I get that Sarkisian hates kicking FGs and everyone is holding their breath when Dicker kicks, but goddammit take the guaranteed points on 4th and Goal (it was no more than a 20 yard FG attempt)--especially when you're on the road. That close to the goal line should have been hand the ball to Roschon quite possibly out of the wildcat formation.

Why go for two points when the XP was perfectly fine? And goodness the call to go to Moore on the 2 point conversion was horrendous!

Sarkisian left 4 points on in the 4th quarter alone. Mismanagement after defense/special teams forced turnovers led to a loss of up to 12 additional points (if each resulted in TDs+XPs).

The play calling was NOT fine. Sarkisian needs to improve that before next week. Good thing OU is struggling to score this season.

The running was kinda there, but it felt like Bijan was taking it more than it was just there for whoever

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I didn't mind the call to go for it, but felt like we should have been in wildcat on 3rd and 4th down. Also think we got a bad spot after the Worthy play. Looks like he was out at the 1 and the ball was marked at the 2.

Agree with the wildcat formation for 3rd down. After that 4th down stuff, the shift in momentum was obvious and the wind was taken out of the defense's sails.

Hard to dispute that the defense would have been breathing a lot easier up 35-20 (actually should have been 36) with 6-7 minutes left to go.

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

Guys like Brockermeyer and Busch should not be starting at a place like Texas. How many times where they just two steps behind or just didn’t have the strength to bring the ball carrier down.

Agree totally.  But is our problem talent or coaching?  If they are playing because those two are our best options with available talent.  That sucks.  If they are playing because a coach has a burr up his ass, that sucks even more.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Agree totally.  But is our problem talent or coaching?  If they are playing because those two are our best options with available talent.  That sucks.  If they are playing because a coach has a burr up his ass, that sucks even more.

Talent. The previous coaches didn’t recruit linebackers or edge rushers for four years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

How do you roll into the fall with Brockermeyer as your starter and not think you should have portaled a replacement?  He's terrible.  That's on the coaches

Was there anything better in the portal? The portal isn’t some get out of jail free card.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Outside of the 99 yard drive where they seemed to be playing prevent, I didn’t think they played too bad considering some of our talent deficiencies. 

Crazy that Anthony Cook might be our best defensive player.

Disagree! Cook was lost multiple times today. And he totally screwed up his one redeeming play by getting him (and his posse) flagged for “excessive celebration”? Whiskey tango boys! Act like you’ve made a big play before. Act like champions. It’s tcu. Damn. 

Our fan base is dumber, more arrogant and stubborn than ever.

We didn’t play great. No shit we’re not Alabama or Georgia.

But the shit and individual players Yall bitch about is something else. And it’s damn ironic that Bijan makes so many damn dudes Miss tackles yet we are surprised when we miss a tackle or we give up 20 up the gut when our damn safeties are 15 yards off the ball. And you know what Big 12 offenses do? They make plays on occasion even though your defense is in good position.

Every team in the country save very few are up and down from week to week. And we’re 5 games in on a new staff. You wants wins and improvement week to week.

User name checks out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Atticus said:

The running was kinda there, but it felt like Bijan was taking it more than it was just there for whoever

This game really highlighted the difference between Bijan and RoJo. RoJo is really good, but he needs some space to get going. Bijan just pulls yards out of thin air.

15 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

If Brockermeyer is really one of your 3 best linebackers maybe figure out how to play only 2 linebackers?

He might not be the best linebacker, but he has a future in ball room dancing. did you see the way he went straight to the Waltz with Evans, then let him go to look for his next dance partner.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

He might not be the best linebacker, but he has a future in ball room dancing. did you see the way he went straight to the Waltz with Evans, then let him go to look for his next dance partner. has a brother that we need on the offensive line.

FIFY

16 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

If Brockermeyer is really one of your 3 best linebackers maybe figure out how to play only 2 linebackers?

He had a brutal start to the game. He missed the tackle on the first TD (though Cook missed first). Then on one of Evans' long runs early in the game, he sprinted to the left while Evans ran right up the middle. I have no idea where he was going.

38 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

He had a brutal start to the game. He missed the tackle on the first TD (though Cook missed first). Then on one of Evans' long runs early in the game, he sprinted to the left while Evans ran right up the middle. I have no idea where he was going.

pretty sure Jones tackled him instead of Evans, just a horrible defensive play all around

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

He might not be the best linebacker, but he has a future in ball room dancing. did you see the way he went straight to the Waltz with Evans, then let him go to look for his next dance partner.

The sad part about this.play is he read it right and made a move to be in position to make a stop and then his talent level failed him.

9 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The sad part about this.play is he read it right and made a move to be in position to make a stop and then his talent level failed him.

In my opinion tackling and doing it with authority is way more about toughness and attitude than talent. A lot of guys have "made it" due to breaking heads than having excellent talent (Jack Lambert types) problem is none of our guys are just mean animals that want to put people in the dirt.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is where some of you dudes need to get it together.

As to the bad ass Biff Tannen, Duggan only had 33 yards rushing and no TDS. 2 yards per rush. Vast improvement over last year. Rice scored none. Rice, yes but still can’t score less than 0. Tech ran it up on us last year. The garbage points were annoying, but 21 were after it was a done deal. As a team we’re 4-1. Lots of positive things on offense but obviously consistency in certain areas is needed. If you’re not seeing improvement, that’s cause you choose not to see it.

Brockermeyer finds himself around the ball. He still is limited on experience. It’s pointless to single him out. Truth be told opponents score in the run game more when he’s not in the game. Could be coincidence. He could stand to miss fewer tackles, but his shoulder/upper arm are less than 100%.

And yes he blew it on Evans first TD run, but there were references above to both Cook and Jones. I don’t think either were blocked and neither helped on the attempted tackle. Then you have the corner who never got off the block even though the play seemed in slow mo. Jones and Cook are likely having their best years too yet they were worthless on that play. Good RBs break tackles and make guys miss or they don’t play. Bijan made a ton of Pigs Miss, but you didn’t think think they missed a bunch because there were others there to clean up.

This week is the tell tale game. We need a little extra juice on both sides of the ball. We’ve seen enough to believe it could happen. But since it’s OU we can’t take anything for granted.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Scipio Tex postmortem on tcu...

This defense has much to improve on, particularly when facing more competent offenses.

After the Tech balls deep debacle, PK was determined to play the Longhorn safeties in Burleson and Denton to keep TCU's Max Duggan from hitting opportunistic deep balls. That passive strategy, while at times frustrating, limited the Frog passing game to a longest completion of 25 yards and held Duggan to less than 10 yards per completion (20 of 28 for 182 yards, 1 touchdown pass) and 6.5 yards per attempt. There were plenty of wide-open TCU receivers in the soft Texas zone, but PK counted on Duggan's inability to execute intermediate throws and on OC Doug Meacham's limited play book.

At times, it felt like Zach Evans' pitch count was the best Horn run defense. Evans: 15 carries, 113 yards, 1 td, no negative runs, but Texas was largely solid against the QB run game as Duggan never ran for more than 10 yards on a single play and the QB draw game was snuffed (contrast this with the brutal Longhorn effort in 2020 on critical downs). In aggregate, the Texas defensive effort doesn't look bad (351 yards surrendered, 5.1 yards per play). But qualitatively, it kinda felt bad at times, didn't it? Especially on that 99-yard touchdown drive. TCU also cost itself opportunities with three turnovers, two of them basically unforced.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:51 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

I would like to see what the win percentage metrics say about kicking a field goal vs going for it on 4th and 1 with that score. My guess is the numbers say go for it. 

Maybe someone should work out those probabilities and put the results in some kind of binder

On 10/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, Bobby Layne said:

Disagree! Cook was lost multiple times today. And he totally screwed up his one redeeming play by getting him (and his posse) flagged for “excessive celebration”? Whiskey tango boys! Act like you’ve made a big play before. Act like champions. It’s tcu. Damn. 

This take is very wrong, and you should feel bad. 

On 10/3/2021 at 9:26 AM, RoyalBevo21 said:

In my opinion tackling and doing it with authority is way more about toughness and attitude than talent. A lot of guys have "made it" due to breaking heads than having excellent talent (Jack Lambert types) problem is none of our guys are just mean animals that want to put people in the dirt.

Then the Big 12 refs light us up with 15 yarders.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, Bobby Layne said:

🤣🤣🤣

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure who deserves the credit here, but COOK has been BALLIN' 🤘

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure who deserves the credit here, but COOK has been BALLIN' 🤘

I was at Czech Stop back in July doing the tourist thing for some folks that were visiting on our way back from the Fort Worth stockyards. A man saw me in my Texas shirt and asked me if I knew who Anthony Cook was on the team and I said yes. He said he is my nephew and he has been working hard. I said that is good news because we are going to need him this year. I did not say it out loud but I was thinking he needs to live up to that 5 star rating. His play on the field has been very good, I wonder if the rumor is true and he just never got out of petty Tom's doghouse.

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?