Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Were any of those guys good? Joseph Ossai made last year's D much better than it really was. 

We're lacking edge talent defensively, but we should have played better than we did.

We’re lacking more than that.  Lacking edge talent, plus linebacker talent (outside of overshown), and lacking safety talent.  

BJ Foster is a bust.  Absolutely brutal today.  

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

I don't put much stock in ratings anymore. I will agree with you regarding it being the first year in this scheme. But there are plenty of guys out there just giving bad individual effort to often. 

It looks bad because they aren’t in the right spots. And when they aren’t in the right spots they are seen making diving tackles that obviously miss. 

Solid LB play is critical for any defense, as is edge DL play. We haven’t had either. Take Dallas a few years ago when Sean Lee was out. The entire defense looked completely different. We have a walk-on at LB and Jett Bush playing.

blOU so far in the year has ran for:

- 116 yards at 3.3 ypc against Tulane.

- 277 yards at 7.3 ypc against FCS Western Carolina.

- 194 yards at 5.5 ypc against Nebraska.

- 57 yards at 2.0 ypc against West Virginia.

- 131 yards at 4.1 ypc against Kansas State.

- 339 yards at 8.3 ypc against us.

blOU has not been especially sensational on the ground this season, yet they destroyed us. Expect more of the same from our next opponents.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, satyanash said:

blOU has not been especially sensational on the ground this season, yet they destroyed us. Expect more of the same from our next opponents.

sad black and white GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

when their qb was a run option we fell apart

The biggest issue with the DBs is they don't turn into receivers on deep balls. Instead they try and play the player instead of playing the ball. Ball is in the air for that distance attack the damn ball. Both Dunn and Foster made this mistake, Mims got away with slight pushoffs on both plays but that doesn't happen if they just play the ball instead. 

This coaching position seems cursed.  You couldn't have asked for a better resume on someone who's done it this long in PK and now this?  I'm convinced Sark could have brought in any of the other names mentioned for DC ( Barry Odom, Arnett, Golding, Muschamp, Dan Lanning, ect. ) and nothing would change.

We gave up 150 rushing yards at 6.8 ypc in the first half, even with a fresh defense and an offense that was holding up its end of the bargain. Stop pretending like our defense just got tired. Even early on the signs were there that our front 7 was getting dominated by blOU's offensive line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

This coaching position seems cursed.  You couldn't have asked for a better resume on someone who's done it this long in PK and now this?  I'm convinced Sark could have brought in any of the other names mentioned for DC ( Barry Odom, Arnett, Golding, Muschamp, Dan Lanning, ect. ) and nothing would change.

I’d like to see the names you just named deal with our current issues. I would imagine more of them would stack the box and sell out to stop the run. If the freshman backup beats you though the air, you just fucking tip your cap. 

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

He runs a scheme where you absolutely must be strong at LB and DE and we are not.  We’ve been gashed off tackle in every single game.  Even by Rice.  So if we don’t have the players, maybe think about changing the scheme Pete?

If you don't have the horses then you don't have the horses. I don't know why coaches are so stubborn about adjusting to their personnel's weaknesses. Bush and Brock aren't gonna make those plays. Why is Schooler out there? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We gave up 150 rushing yards at 6.8 ypc in the first half, even with a fresh defense and an offense that was holding up its end of the bargain. Stop pretending like our defense just got tired. Even early on the signs were there that our front 7 was getting dominated by blOU's offensive line.

Thank you! The box score never lies. It is all right there in the numbers. 

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I’d like to see the names you just named deal with our current issues. I would imagine more of them would stack the box and sell out to stop the run. If the freshman backup beats you though the air, you just fucking tip your cap. 

We played them to have long drawn out drives because of the lead we had. That kind of defense opens you up to big plays schematically.

Unfortunately, our players miss tackles and play balls poorly, so there isn't much that can be done there.

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He runs a scheme where you absolutely must be strong at LB and DE and we are not.  We’ve been gashed off tackle in every single game.  Even by Rice.  So if we don’t have the players, maybe think about changing the scheme Pete?

I’m a nobody, but in some of these instances, a heavier 4-2-5 would seem to help I would  think. Collins, Sweat, Coburn, Ojomo… idk but what I know is, the gaps that are presented to RBs are huge and Jett Bush as a DE is of little threat to anybody

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FOXHOUND said:

If you don't have the horses then you don't have the horses. I don't know why coaches are so stubborn about adjusting to their personnel's weaknesses. Bush and Brock aren't gonna make those plays. Why is Schooler out there? 

Who else should they put out there in place of Brockermeyer/Schooler? 

Not sure why we aren't seeing more Sorrell in place of Bush, but meh.

I promise I'm not trying to be a piling on bitch, but I'm trying to recall a single play that Bush has made all year.  Does he have a sack, TFL, or even a QB pressure?  I honestly don't remember.

As for Brock.  He sucks and he's slow.  Even when he makes a tackle, he's a step slow meaning the RB/WR/QB falls forward for 2-3 more yards.  I.E. he's not meeting the carrier straight up, but at a bad angle because of that final step.

Just now, taybo20 said:

I’m a nobody, but in some of these instances, a heavier 4-2-5 would seem to help I would  think. Collins, Sweat, Coburn, Ojomo… idk but what I know is, the gaps that are presented to RBs are huge and Jett Bush as a DE is of little threat to anybody

Coburn's the biggest guy on our D-line and he's been doing nothing so far this season. Keeps getting washed out on run plays. Sweat and Ojomo are lighter but have both looked a lot better.

• Like 1

Just now, satyanash said:

Coburn's the biggest guy on our D-line and he's been doing nothing so far this season. Keeps getting washed out on run plays. Sweat and Ojomo are lighter but have both looked a lot better.

Yeah Idk what the deal with that is. I need to watch more of the defensive tape. 

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Perhaps Keondre is just too heavy? I knew he was big but when I saw that he was 350lbs on the screen I was like woah. 

The most embarrassing part is we're still not fucking tackling. They're trying to make a Sportscenter highlights with the pads rather than wrapping. God damn it's not rocket science. 

This right here. This is the worst tackling defense at Texas I’ve ever seen. And that includes Diaz and Tony Orlando bullshit. If your team does not tackle well, that starts at the top. Just piss poor fundamentals.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I agree. Dedicate more bodies and mass to the point of attack. Opposing running backs  and QBs are getting 5-8 yards guaranteed untouched with what we’ve been putting out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

It sucks because when PK actually calls the right play we still fuck it up. On the play where Williams ran for the 65 yard td, the dline blew up the line and Thompson was right there in the hole. It feels like it rotates between PK being dumb and the players not executing when they should. This defense just isn’t that good overall. 

41 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

he got hung out to dry today by the offense quitting in the second half.  our guys played well in the first half. we just need more depth. 

eh.  700 yards and 55 points(7 given by the KO fumble) tell me the Defense shit the bed and it's probably 80% on PK.

16 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Please don't criticize the coaches and hold them accountable because Immalooch might ban you for venting 

There's no excuse for going full retard. Post it in the game thread or in one of the myriad venting threads. The fire whoever shit in their first season is played out.

This defense is going to finish outside the top 100. Mike Stoops got fired for less. PK has been a disaster of a hire, period. The fuck outta here with putting it on personnel. Holes in the roster should be the difference between finishing top 25 and top 50, not fucking top 115.

Has any DC ever had a successful tenure after finishing his first year in the triple digits? I doubt it.  This has less of a chance of working out than the Diaz hire. 

12 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

This defense is going to finish outside the top 100. Mike Stoops got fired for less. PK has been a disaster of a hire, period. The fuck outta here with putting it on personnel. Holes in the roster should be the difference between finishing top 25 and top 50, not fucking top 115.

Has any DC ever had a successful tenure after finishing his first year in the triple digits? I doubt it.  This has less of a chance of working out than the Diaz hire. 

So you're going to fire a guy whose proven he can coach defense elsewhere using schemes that work because in his first 6 games he hasn't been able to get his inherited guys to play well enough until he can get his guys?  While that's a possible path, haven't we seen that path for the last 8-10 years? I'd like to take a different path for a change as that path I know to suck, and suck badly.. year after year.

51 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

While that's a possible path, haven't we seen that path for the last 8-10 years?

No, we've seen your path the last 8-10 years. Where we keep a defensive coordinator for a few years, watch his defense become worse and worse, continue to insist the problem lies elsewhere because he was good at his previous stops, then suffer through a catastrophic defensive collapse before being forced to pull the trigger.

See: Manny Diaz vs. BYU in 2013 / Vance Bedford vs. Cal in 2016 / Todd Orlando vs. Kansas in 2019.

Obviously it's too early to fire PK. But I won't be surprised if a similar trajectory plays out.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wait for him to recruit a real front seven and then decide. We don’t have the players/depth right now.

I don’t think he (or Sark) has that kind of time. The plan needs to be: be serviceable with what you inherent, recruit to be elite.

I don’t really know what the answer is. But I’m afraid this shitshow on defense will get Sark fired. And I really like his offense.
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I don’t think he (or Sark) has that kind of time. The plan needs to be: be serviceable with what you inherent, recruit to be elite.

I don’t really know what the answer is. But I’m afraid this shitshow on defense will get Sark fired. And I really like his offense.

Portal hard in the off-season.  Now that they (and the world) have seen what’s on the roster, players should be beating down our doors to get immediate playing time all over the defense and OL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have not read a single post on this thread. So excuse me if this has been covered:

This motherfucker is a motherfucking retarded fucking fucktard mother fucking fucker of mothers who doesn’t know his motherfucking ass from a motherfucking hole in the ground and should be summarily and unequivocally told to GET THE FUCK OUT of UT, Austin and the motherfucking state of Tex the mother fucking as.

That’s all.

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?