Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

17 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

PK came here and stunk up the joint.  It was for a variety of reasons including his limitations as a coach.  Not because there’s some supernormal force surrounding the program.  Get better players, give them a consistent S&C program, don’t have stupid game plans that they can’t execute, optimize the deployment of their skill sets.  

are you sure there's not a supernormal force surrounding the program?   I mean it's not like these guys coming in are without pedigree.   manny diaz had the worst defense in longhorn history. fired.  vance bedford then has the worst defense in longhorn history.  fired.   todd orlando has the worst defense in longhorn history.  fired.  i've skipped a few but you get the gist.   everytime you think this is the worst it can possibly be and we bring in a new guy to fix it, we get progressively worse.

i have to hope that patterson has some positive effect.  maybe even overruling pk.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Codaxx said:

To me tackling is about positioning more than form. It’s hard to tackle guys in space with a 2 way go. Have a guy to your left and one to your right  and that tackle gets a lot easier. Bad tackling is usually a symptom of poor gap integrity 

It's 90% about positioning.  Even in the tweet above, the only picture that looks like there might be a solid tackle attempt is the Warren one.  The Breece Hall pic is questionable to even call a broken tackle.

On 2/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Rod Babers was citing horrific numbers about the 2021 defense on his show. I dont have it down verbatim but something like…

> Teams completed 58% passes past 20 yds. Thats bad. Average is like 38%.

> Runs to one of the weakside gaps went for over 10yds a clip. Maybe I misheard, but that was Thornton/Oghoufo. Time and again I saw them run upfield and not be in position.

> Our corners rarely made plays. I think Jamison had one pick and one pbu.

It was one of the more bizarre defenses I've observed in that it literally stopped NOTHING between the 20s. Runs, short passes, whatever. If PK could have had some gentlemen's agreement where the offense starts 2nd and 10 at our 20, he would have taken it.

Edited by TotallyLegit
  • Like 1

I can improve the defense just by simplifying the hell out of it.

Base out of a 425.

Mix Cover 3/1.

Let Bo Davis do his thing in front with slants and twists and gaps. 

Everyone else play football.

Occasional blitz to keep teams honest.

Ready. Break.

Edited by Snacks
  • Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I can improve the defense just by simplifying the hell out of it.

Base out of a 425.

Mix Cover 3/1.

Let Bo Davis do his thing in front with slants and twists and gaps. 

Everyone else play football.

Occasional blitz to keep teams honest.

Ready. Break.

Should’ve just kept Chris Ash last year and replaced him with Patterson this offseason.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/7/2022 at 11:13 AM, TotallyLegit said:

It was one of the more bizarre defenses I've observed in that it literally stopped NOTHING between the 20s. Runs, short passes, whatever. If PK could have had some gentlemen's agreement where the offense starts 2nd and 10 at our 20, he would have taken it.

Truth.  The guy is a shitty PAC 12 DC.  we had to bring in one of our most hated rival coaches to fix his crappy D.  I hope it works because its probably Sark's last shot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/7/2022 at 9:43 AM, thrillhammer said:

are you sure there's not a supernormal force surrounding the program?   I mean it's not like these guys coming in are without pedigree.   manny diaz had the worst defense in longhorn history. fired.  vance bedford then has the worst defense in longhorn history.  fired.   todd orlando has the worst defense in longhorn history.  fired.  i've skipped a few but you get the gist.   everytime you think this is the worst it can possibly be and we bring in a new guy to fix it, we get progressively worse.

i have to hope that patterson has some positive effect.  maybe even overruling pk.  

manny diaz had one year at Miss State, Vance Bedford was fired at Ok State and then rode Teddy like Charlie did, Todd Orlando was G5.  PK is PAC12.   these guys had zero pedigree when they showed up at Texas.

if Patterson isn't running the show behind the scenes we are fucked.  I think he is, fortunately.

Edit; I can give Manny a bit of a pass because Mack was a shitshow at that point.  

Edited by dcar00

Horns need to strengthen defensive depth from the portal with all the new high rep 2022 offenses added to the B12

Gonna be a lot more plays/gm to defend 

• blOU -- Jeff Lebby           80.5 plays/gm   (#4)
  • tech -- Zach Kittle            77.2 plays/gm    (#14)
  • wvu -- Graham Harrell     76.4 plays/gm    (#17)
  • tcu -- Sonny Dykes          75.5 plays/gm    (#25)

Interesting...  2021 Stats 

• UTSA -- Jeff Traylor         73.8 plays/gm     (#30)
  • TEXAS --  SARK                68.8 plays/gm     (#80)
  • USC  -- Blinkin' Riley        66.8 plays/gm     (#107)*

*  at blOU

College FB Team Plays per Game  2021

Rank Team 2021 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2020
1 Wake Forest 81.4 86.0 79.0 85.8 78.6 81.3
2 North Texas 80.8 71.0 65.0 83.2 79.1 78.9
3 Duke 80.5 77.7 72.0 85.8 74.2 78.7
4 Mississippi 80.5 80.7 97.0 76.7 84.3 81.6
5 E Carolina 79.3 85.0 80.0 76.4 81.7 75.2
6 Miss State 78.9 79.0 77.0 77.2 80.7 72.3
7 Virginia 78.5 74.3 72.0 77.3 80.0 78.0
8 Utah State 78.5 70.7 79.0 81.8 76.5 62.7
9 Pittsburgh 78.2 69.3 60.0 79.5 77.1 77.6
10 Oklahoma St 78.2 84.0 96.0 77.7 78.6 79.4
11 N Mex State 78.1 67.3 73.0 80.3 76.9 --
12 Alabama 78.1 78.7 89.0 77.0 78.9 70.8
13 Kent State 77.6 78.7 82.0 82.3 75.6 81.8
14 W Kentucky 77.2 79.3 76.0 74.8 78.6 65.6
15 Buffalo 76.9 76.3 82.0 73.8 79.5 65.7
16 Colorado St 76.8 79.0 87.0 73.4 79.7 70.8
17 USC 76.4 83.7 82.0 79.0 72.8 77.3
17 Tulsa 76.4 80.0 100.0 68.4 82.1 75.9
19 Arkansas St 76.2 81.7 81.0 74.4 77.7 79.9
20 Tennessee 76.2 80.3 106.0 78.3 73.2 68.9
20 W Michigan 76.2 71.0 67.0 77.2 75.4 66.5
22 Purdue 76.2 69.0 83.0 74.8 77.3 70.0
23 Central Mich 75.8 73.7 73.0 78.0 74.3 74.2
24 Miami (FL) 75.6 73.3 88.0 74.8 76.6 75.5
25 S Methodist 75.5 80.0 85.0 81.8 70.3 78.6

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game#:~:text=College FB Team Plays per Game , 97.0 42 more rows

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we have upgraded a little at CB, and moved a few current players to safety.

Serious Questions: 

1. Wtf are PK and Choate doing to improve this defense ??
  2. Besides Finkley, what incoming freshmen are expected to play in 2022 ??
  3. What NFL teams run a similar defensive scheme to PK's scheme ??

So fucking tired of not having a defensive scheme that translates to the NFL.  Also our recruiting on defense SUCKS !!!

FTS !!!

• Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- What Would You Say You Do Here ??
3 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Can someone that understands defensive schemes better than I do explain this to me:

What does PKs 2-4-5 scheme do better than the traditional 4-2-5 scheme with dedicated EDGE rushers? Is the added complexity worth the recruiting challenges?

• Someone probably has a better answer, but it makes it easier to
  • In my opinion, not for a program in our condition. I suspect it is more prudent to add complexity after a program's success and recruiting are at least stable.
Edited by TotallyLegit
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:
  • Someone probably has a better answer, but it makes it easier to
  • In my opinion, not for a program in our condition. I suspect it is more prudent to add complexity after a program's success and recruiting are at least stable.

I'd agree, but a DC is not going to implement one defense, teach it, the change it later.

However, a good coach can take his defense and give it layers. PK can treat the 245 as a 425 by varying how much he asks the OLBs to do...  It could all look the same.... 425, 336(stack), 425... It could all act the same... Just depends on what the coach wants out of the front 6.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I'd agree, but a DC is not going to implement one defense, teach it, the change it later.

However, a good coach can take his defense and give it layers. PK can treat the 245 as a 425 by varying how much he asks the OLBs to do...  It could all look the same.... 425, 336(stack), 425... It could all act the same... Just depends on what the coach wants out of the front 6.

So PK is gonna improve our D by playing 12 guys on defense ?? 😋 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

I would be happy with some disruption, pressure, and tackling out of the front 6

• Like 1

From 2014-2019 a PK led defense averaged roughly 80 TFL’s and 35 sacks with Washington recruiting classes. This last year we had 69.5 TFL’s and 17 sacks. With some familiarity in the defense and an entire offseason to learn these guys strengths/weaknesses maybe those numbers improve and it’s good for a handful of wins. It’s also possible it never works and we fire PK after Oklahoma lol. Here’s to some thots and prayers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

From 2014-2019 a PK led defense averaged roughly 80 TFL’s and 35 sacks with Washington recruiting classes. This last year we had 69.5 TFL’s and 17 sacks. With some familiarity in the defense and an entire offseason to learn these guys strengths/weaknesses maybe those numbers improve and it’s good for a handful of wins. It’s also possible it never works and we fire PK after Oklahoma lol. Here’s to some thots and prayers. 

Now tell us more about the offenses he faced there.

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

2019- 14th in FEI 

2018- 7th in FEI

2017- 12th in FEI

2016- 4 in FEI

Hell of a run in adjusted stats. Hopefully, we see him get back to being aggressive. I think this defense needs a whole lot of stunting and blitzing. The will up the volatility of the results, but that is Ok when the results arent good. 

35 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

2019- 14th in FEI 

2018- 7th in FEI

2017- 12th in FEI

2016- 4 in FEI

Hell of a run in adjusted stats. Hopefully, we see him get back to being aggressive. I think this defense needs a whole lot of stunting and blitzing. The will up the volatility of the results, but that is Ok when the results arent good. 

2018 was when Jimmy Lakes took over playcalling

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

2018 was when Jimmy Lakes took over playcalling

There  a drop in Sacks and TFLs when Lake took over. Lake hit 65th in 2020, his last full season. 

So under Lake they went 7th, 14th, and 65th

Under PK

2014- 17th

2015- 4th

2016- 4th

2017- 12th

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

How did he do against Sonny Dykes Cal teams since he'll be going against him this year?

He’s always had a ton of success against traditional spread/air raid teams. It’s the power run games and power spreads he struggles against….which is most of our conference. 

• Like 1

dude is from Santa Barbara ffs.

I watched this the first time. The 22:00 mark is where he talks about not having good DTs, so his philosophy was built around having them just intentionally eat double teams (instead of splitting or penetrating) and let faster LBs blitz. I know there's more to it but that strategy does not fit this roster.

edit: more to the point, if that has been his history (never having talented interior DL), what does he do when that is literally the only part of his new team that is not hot garbage.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

dude is from Santa Barbara ffs.

I watched this the first time. The 22:00 mark is where he talks about not having good DTs, so his philosophy was built around having them just intentionally eat double teams (instead of splitting or penetrating) and let faster LBs blitz. I know there's more to it but that strategy does not fit this roster.

edit: more to the point, if that has been his history (never having talented interior DL), what does he do when that is literally the only part of his new team that is not hot garbage.

How does it not fit guys like Coburn and Sweat? Massive guys like Vita Vea, which brings me to the fact that he has had multiple first round picks at DT. The obvious problem of fit is on the edge. For his system to work properly, he needs 2 flexible edge players. Guys that can drop, rush the pass, and hold up vs the run. Last year he had 0 of those. Also why he did not run a lot of pure 2-4-5 defense last year. I am not sure what defense fit Texas last year. What defense fits a team with massive holes on the edge, holes at LB, holes at Safety, and mediocre CB play. No doubt PK was given a shit hand, but he made a disaster out of a bad hand. It shouldn’t have been that bad. Interior DL was the strength of the defense, but that wasn’t because they looked like NFL players. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

How does it not fit guys like Coburn and Sweat? Massive guys like Vita Vea, which brings me to the fact that he has had multiple first round picks at DT. The obvious problem of fit is on the edge. For his system to work properly, he needs 2 flexible edge players. Guys that can drop, rush the pass, and hold up vs the run. Last year he had 0 of those. Also why he did not run a lot of pure 2-4-5 defense last year. I am not sure what defense fit Texas last year. What defense fits a team with massive holes on the edge, holes at LB, holes at Safety, and mediocre CB play. No doubt PK was given a shit hand, but he made a disaster out of a bad hand. It shouldn’t have been that bad. Interior DL was the strength of the defense, but that wasn’t because they looked like NFL players. 

I just don't understand why more transfers have not been added on defense.  Putting all their money on just Mathis was like betting everything on a single number on a fuckin' roulette wheel...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

On 5/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, WinningIsHard said:

Using "Washington recruiting classes" as a derogatory term with the attrition and injury issues in the recruiting classes that largely make up this Texas roster is, uh, interesting.

I knew somebody would bring up Vea but I know shit about fuck and so stick to the pithy

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

How does it not fit guys like Coburn and Sweat? 

It does, that's why I didn't say it didn't. But another common surl take is blue-chip DL don't want to be block-eaters.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Using "Washington recruiting classes" as a derogatory term with the attrition and injury issues in the recruiting classes that largely make up this Texas roster is, uh, interesting.

It was meant to show that their recruiting classes at their best don’t get a ton of blue chip talent and his results with lower ranked classes was pretty damn good. If we find that the 2020/2021/2022 classes have a few more “football players” and not mentally weak, pussies then we might turn a corner. I should have explained that better, my bad. 

16 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

If we find that the 2020/2021/2022 classes have a few more “football players” and not mentally weak, pussies then we might turn a corner.  

⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆   All of this  ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

So now people have convinced themselves that UW had no DTs and our DTs are good?

UW has 5 DTs in the NFL.  NFL starters Vea and Gaines played next to each other 3 years in a row.  I'd trade our top 3 for the rotation of Vea/Gaines/Bowman in a heartbeat.

Edited by JBJ

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?